Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WOW Brindleton Bay!

Comments

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Yay for the Island not being a special lot. Then I can use it for historical saves. Really looking forward to that, so happy that it is not locked as something specific.

I was hoping to use the island for an old farmhouse for a loner sim of mine, but then I noticed there's a public bathroom building just behind the museum that's part of the world and won't be able to be removed :neutral:

Yeah, I saw that one too. It is a big lot so placing the farm on the other side and then putting some enlarged trees in front might help. Or that is what I do when I don't want to see something.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Since the museum/yacht club on the island is not a special lot, I might try to cordon off an area for a club house for my rich sims from all the worlds. The Brindleton Bay Yacht Club. A place for them to get together and discuss how they run their worlds.

lol, you mean they will stand or sit around and talk about how there should be yachts and they should at least be able to wade in water on the shore. Such wasted opportunities. And one of those fake boat portals should have been a yacht in my opinion. Or at least a small sail boat, along with a paddle boat etc.

In your game that is obviously how it would work, but I suspect @Dannydanbo can manage to bring their vision to life in their game. Why rain on their parade?

I'm not raining on his parade. I used 'pretend' a thousand times over in any of these games, but a town about a bay should have at least had one workable, playable boat...even if it is about cats and dogs. Even TS2 got a pirate ship to explore and 'pretend' and play on and explore complete with pirate ghost and a song. :D

No rain here Cinebar. LOL! In my scenario, the yacht club is a ruse. It's a fake club consisting of high powered movers and shakers who like to believe they each run their respective worlds. They will sit around, drink expensive whiskey and concoct their nefarious plans. Most of them believe that yachting is a waste of time when you could be taking over a business somewhere.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,972 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Kelleygirl wrote: »
    Explore what. is a good question....unless you are looking to dig for minerals or collect something, there's not much to do out there in no-man's land. All you can do is look out on a backdrop you can't travel to or build in.

That's basically how it was in TS3, just go collect stuff. Of course you could also place a lot and build on it. TS4 just seems confining. I get so frustrated that it's not open world especially since it looks so beautiful.

I get so confused when I read comments about how confining TS4 is. My favorite feature since day one has been the fact that we can travel, live, and explore ALL of the worlds! Yes, there are limitations, but I hated in TS3 when I had to choose a world for my sims to live in and they were all but stuck there! I love that I can have families living in the Oasis Springs AND Brindleton Bay AND any other world. I can also move between them as easy as picking up the phone and don't have to worry about relationships.

I totally agree!! Sims 3 was more confining!! I love that I can freely bounce to any world in the same save with this game. It definitely is my favorite feature. I rediscovered the beauty of a spot in Oasis Springs yesterday where you can stand on a bridge above crisp blue water. It was lovely. I love Sims 4 worlds.

So, you really do love open world then? Because what you say and what you describe confirms you love open spaces and open world. It was the lag in loading on a machine that couldn't handle the loading times in TS3? Today, I can play TS3 with five EPs installed (I didn't like them all) and many store objects (hundreds) and much of my own patterns etc. (considered cc) and not suffer the lag because if I had this machine back when I was having a slow loading time, it would have been a great, great game in many ways. Roaring Heights is still a marvel. But I think I still love TwinBrook best of all the TS3 worlds whether in EPs or store.

I don't think you get what we are saying. For me at least I did like the open worlds but I hated being trapped in one world! My system handled it fine and I had all the EPs and even a couple of store worlds. My issue was if I played in Twindbrook I couldn't visit or live in Riverview. I bought Aurora Skies because I loved the Alaska feel to it, but again, I was trapped.

I would end up creating whole new games just because I wanted to live in a new world but then I'd miss the old worlds and there was always another new world. I am a generational player and couldn't get more than two or three generations because I wanted to spread out beyond my one world! To me this was the definition of confining!

With TS4 I've had my same family living in each of the worlds! I have some family members spread out and visit them often. If I want the feel of the desert I head to Oasis Springs for some fishing while planning a nice dinner out in San Myshuno before heading home to Willow Creek. This is why it feels more open and free to me. Being able to walk onto my neighbor's lawn isn't enough for me.

I play 3 regularly and as much as I love open world I also love the way the worlds work in Sims 4. In Sims 3 I have all the EP worlds and store worlds installed for content but I play one custom world. I've loaded them all and saved interesting families to the bin to add them to my one played world. With Sims 4 I have family and friends in all the worlds except for Newcrest and Magnolia Promenade which are commercial and community. I actually imagine them all as one world composed of different neighborhoods.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,405 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »

Explore what? You don't have the interactions to 'stroll here' 'walk here', 'run here'. You will be passing a lot of land as your Sim runs to a far off distance (just like in WB) because you don't have the interaction to stroll or walk. And they all run if it's a long distance away. So, it seems a waste in some ways if you were wanting to stop and smell the roses along the way. ETA: Note the only walking a Sim will do is if they are walking a pet. Otherwise if you directed a Sim to 'go here' they are going to run.

No, the action is not in the game yet. Something I have been requesting for three years. All Sims run if it's a long distance, and we don't even have an actual command to 'run here', either. I bring up points others never think about because they have forgotten we have these actions in other games. (Walking will only be for walking pets).

Just set multiple waypoints along the path you want to go and they'll walk rather than run....problem solved.
    It's too bad they didn't have the budget to load the Sim on the boat and then CGI/cut scene to show the Sim crossing the water to the other side...like in Nancy Drew games or other adventure/stragtegy games with even smaller budgets.

You mean the type of cutscene that, after about the second time, has everyone either skipping or wishing there was a way to skip? That would have been a waste of resources.

Not all people skip cut scenes. And it would be much better to see the Sim actually climb into the boat at least that much before hitting the loading screen. Simulation is funny that way. If nothing is simulated I'm not sure you can call a game simulated. But no worries, I'm waiting on people to start complaining how far away they have to run to get to the boats before they can travel and demand modders to fix that and give them a transport toggle and skip the walk to the boat in the first place. I won't even have to hold my breath about it, the request will be made the first week, wait and see. (those who supposedly love simulation will be asking to remove simulation sort of complaint).

ETA: Or I'm sure Maxis telemetry will show them they skip the boats and hit the m key.

Problem is there is no cutscene. Unfortuanly we don't even see them get in the boat. That's one thing I'm disappointed with however they could be testing the waters with this for cars and boats in the future. If successful we would be able to see the sims in the cars and boats and have more interactions as well.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Melton23 wrote: »
    Very excited to get this expansion pack! I wonder how I can get puppies and kittens if there are no kennels though... guess I’ll have to wait until release

Look on the bright side. Even if we don't get kennels with this EP we can always prepare for a stuff pack about pets wanting to be caged. EA might as well release it as the 27th stuff pack for a late 2018 release called "The Sims 4: Cage Your Furry Friends Stuff". With kennels being the only new gameplay object!
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    > @catloverplayer said:
    > Problem is there is no cutscene. Unfortuanly we don't even see them get in the boat. That's one thing I'm disappointed with however they could be testing the waters with this for cars and boats in the future. If successful we would be able to see the sims in the cars and boats and have more interactions as well.
    Cars would be cool too, and I also would be interested to see how they would work in the sims 4, since there's not a lot of terrain for cars to move around, unless they used them as another portal to other lots like in sims 2. Of course adding a special feature for cars, such as a racing track might give them more use in the game.
  • Options
    > @DegrassiGen said:
    > Look on the bright side. Even if we don't get kennels with this EP we can always prepare for a stuff pack about pets wanting to be caged. EA might as well release it as the 27th stuff pack for a late 2018 release called "The Sims 4: Cage Your Furry Friends Stuff". With kennels being the only new gameplay object!

LOL! I'd be so up for that! :D
  • Options
    KatzcKatzc Posts: 506 Member
    @Dannydanbo--I like your Yacht club idea!! That's what I was going to do: make the Yacht Club just for the rich and the snobby!!
    " They will sit around, drink expensive whiskey and concoct their nefarious plans. Most of them believe that yachting is a waste of time when you could be taking over a business somewhere." I can see this already! LOL!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,405 Member
    Very excited to get this expansion pack! I wonder how I can get puppies and kittens if there are no kennels though... guess I’ll have to wait until release

Look on the bright side. Even if we don't get kennels with this EP we can always prepare for a stuff pack about pets wanting to be caged. EA might as well release it as the 27th stuff pack for a late 2018 release called "The Sims 4: Cage Your Furry Friends Stuff". With kennels being the only new gameplay object!

I doubt they'd release a Pets Stuffpack but I hope I'm wrong cause Pets do need more items like dog beds and cat beds and other stuff.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

I doubt they'd release a Pets Stuffpack but I hope I'm wrong cause Pets do need more items like dog beds and cat beds and other stuff.

I hope it all gets patched in instead. I don't want to pay for a stuff pack for things that should've already been there with C&D.

I also thought about it, and like others said, releasing an SP that's dependent on another pack wouldn't be as profitable because only a subset of S4 players will buy C&D, and only a subset of C&D owners would buy an SP for it. That's a very small population, as opposed to developing a pack that's generally available.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    No, not sold. It is very much similar to WB, a lot of space not enough houses. From the footage I saw so far, it's sort of WB 2.0. (one house beside the lighthouse, that area could have contained at least two more).

I think it's one of those 40x40 lots they said was in the game -- large enough to build a nice house without it being too big. As for lots I think it's the right size -- it looks like there is a lot of the "public space" which will be great for walking dogs. And some of the new features like the conical roofs will be great for building -- we can build proper towers for Victorian-style builds, and for silos if we get a rural/farming pack in the future. And of course if/when we get witches. :)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    I don't know why some of you say it's full of inaccessible places, I was surprised it gives you so much space to walk around and so many hidden pathways and nooks and crannies you can go to!

To do what?

Maybe places where dogs can dig up collectible items? On the street near the house where the vet was living, there was a patch of dirt that reminded me of the dog dig sites from Sims 3, so maybe there are new spawners for collectibles that can only be accessed by dogs. Good for collecting Sims.
  • Options

They could always add something in a patch if there's a lot of demand -- for example if Seasons is on the drawing board they could add doghouses in the pre-pack patch. I'm still not even sure how you breed animals without a doghouse.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

They could always add something in a patch if there's a lot of demand -- for example if Seasons is on the drawing board they could add doghouses in the pre-pack patch. I'm still not even sure how you breed animals without a doghouse.

From what I saw from a video in sims camp, you "encourage" your pet to mate with another, the pet will go and find them, close the door and rub noses and voila a few hearts appear and the deed is done.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

From what I saw from a video in sims camp, you "encourage" your pet to mate with another, the pet will go and find them, close the door and rub noses and voila a few hearts appear and the deed is done.

Awww
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    Shades302Shades302 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I am not a huge fan of the huge 64x64 lots, and personally would have liked it to be a couple or few smaller lots instead, but I guess I will build the biggest vet clinic ever on that lot. Yep.
    Z6gfpiv.png?1
  • Options
    I like having one big one, a couple of slightly big ones, a lot of medium ones and one or two small ones.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2017
    Since the museum/yacht club on the island is not a special lot, I might try to cordon off an area for a club house for my rich sims from all the worlds. The Brindleton Bay Yacht Club. A place for them to get together and discuss how they run their worlds.

lol, you mean they will stand or sit around and talk about how there should be yachts and they should at least be able to wade in water on the shore. Such wasted opportunities. And one of those fake boat portals should have been a yacht in my opinion. Or at least a small sail boat, along with a paddle boat etc.

In your game that is obviously how it would work, but I suspect @Dannydanbo can manage to bring their vision to life in their game. Why rain on their parade?

I'm not raining on his parade. I used 'pretend' a thousand times over in any of these games, but a town about a bay should have at least had one workable, playable boat...even if it is about cats and dogs. Even TS2 got a pirate ship to explore and 'pretend' and play on and explore complete with pirate ghost and a song. :D

No rain here Cinebar. LOL! In my scenario, the yacht club is a ruse. It's a fake club consisting of high powered movers and shakers who like to believe they each run their respective worlds. They will sit around, drink expensive whiskey and concoct their nefarious plans. Most of them believe that yachting is a waste of time when you could be taking over a business somewhere.

I'm glad I didn't rain on any parade. That sounds like a fun story, I do that sort of pretending with the Clues in my game. In TS4 they had a lot of social drinking parties and sit around and scheme. lol I was just wishing the EP was a little bigger with a sailboat, lol. It's a sad day when people are actually jumping for joy to see a boat portal the Sim actually doesn't even get to step into the boat, and scream omg, that's wonderful when some of us are used to actual boats in these games. What has happened to the world. Sad. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, not sold. It is very much similar to WB, a lot of space not enough houses. From the footage I saw so far, it's sort of WB 2.0. (one house beside the lighthouse, that area could have contained at least two more).

I think it's one of those 40x40 lots they said was in the game -- large enough to build a nice house without it being too big. As for lots I think it's the right size -- it looks like there is a lot of the "public space" which will be great for walking dogs. And some of the new features like the conical roofs will be great for building -- we can build proper towers for Victorian-style builds, and for silos if we get a rural/farming pack in the future. And of course if/when we get witches. :)

Silos are round where I live, so we'll see. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

I'm glad I didn't rain on any parade. That sounds like a fun story, I do that sort of pretending with the Clues in my game. In TS4 they had a lot of social drinking parties and sit around and scheme. lol I was just wishing the EP was a little bigger with a sailboat, lol. It's a sad day when people are actually jumping for joy to see a boat portal the Sim actually doesn't even get to step into the boat, and scream omg, that's wonderful when some of us are used to actual boats in these games. What has happened to the world. Sad. lol

I know. I'd love real boats and real cars. Who knows, maybe one day.
  • Options
    Shades302 wrote: »
    I am not a huge fan of the huge 64x64 lots, and personally would have liked it to be a couple or few smaller lots instead, but I guess I will build the biggest vet clinic ever on that lot. Yep.

Me neither. I get lag on huge lots.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

allot of people do
  • Options
    BabySquare wrote: »

allot of people do

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I also experience serious lag on the island in Windenburg, yet nowhere else in WB, despite my not having done anything with the island lots.
  • Options
    > @stilljustme2 said:
    > catloverplayer wrote: »

> I doubt they'd release a Pets Stuffpack but I hope I'm wrong cause Pets do need more items like dog beds and cat beds and other stuff.
    >
    >
    > They could always add something in a patch if there's a lot of demand -- for example if Seasons is on the drawing board they could add doghouses in the pre-pack patch. I'm still not even sure how you breed animals without a doghouse.

They did do stuff packs for children and toddlers so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they would do a stuff pack for pets too. Having said that, it might be more probable that more stuff for pets would come in updates.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member

To be honest I really was just kidding. Lol. The Sims 4 is so easy to make jokes about from the materials of endless stuff packs that could end up making sequels from itself or from game/expansion packs to endless loading screens. The Sims 4 has a lot of material to make fun of but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised. Just like I wouldn't be surprised if we had a "Sideyard Stuff" a "Frontyard Stuff" and "Trespassing on Neighbors Yard Stuff"...lol