Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited March 2017
    @Kgaff
    Wow! That is one huge place! I think it would take my sim a day to walk from one end to the other!!!

:lol: well thankfully they don't have to walk from one end to the other every day - mostly it's walking from both extremes to the middle so that makes it a little better ;)
    I was looking ahead since I build for you next, yikes I have to build for an architect! :w

I saw in your letter that you wanted commercial builds and one of your specifics was a jail. How interesting would that be to build?

Now to the Q&A

What world would I build for and would it be a more modern style or really really old style?

:lol: again! Not an architect, just worked for one. But I also tend to be very 'realist' so I don't always think about how I can achieve extremes in the game, I like to build but I love seeing how other people express themselves, too!

Jail would be awesome! I play mostly in Monte Vista but now that I have Dragon Valley I'd be happy with a jail for either of them. I definitely like old/medieval styles. Monte Vista can be "refurbished" in a more modern interior but I like the exterior for that world to remain old/traditional.

If you go Dragon Valley I'd love full-on Medieval. :)

@MiaSkywalker
    Wow, now that is something! Looks really elaborate - I can't wait to see how it turns out! (Or even what it is - without windows, doors, and wallpaper, it's actually pretty hard to tell yet. :) )

I wanted to get up *something*, but hopefully tonight when I get home I can get windows/doors and wall coverings on so you can actually see what's going on!

@ciane
    It's looking great so far! Sorry the stairs wouldn't do what you wanted them to do.

Thank you! After sleeping on it, I might have an alternate for the stairs - won't be stacked but will be closer to what I wanted. :)
    That CFE gave me all sorts of grief until I figured out the 'key' to making it all work! Still might run into issues but at least I got some of the elements I was going for - attached garage, stepped main floor, I did get the stairs going up into the U shape so yay! That's three things on this build I've never ever done before!

• Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @creativemetaphor Sorry, I was just teasing. Anyone who can draw up a house plan like you can is a Simtastic architect! :)

I should have asked you before, can I go really large for this prison. There is a 64x64 lot in Dragon Valley that is somewhat secluded that would be ideal. Its at 32 Lugh Lane. I could change it to a commercial lot.

I'm also wondering what lot type to assign it.

I have been reading a bit on medieval prisons and learned about "debtors prisons" that were common in most towns but I can't find any "blueprints" to copy from so I think I will be winging it. I might try doing a dungeon or two, I've never done those before.
  • Options
    @Kgaff Oh I knew you were kidding, it's fine!

Go as big or as small, as detailed or general as you like! Dungeon would be awesome, especially if you've never done one! I love that the point of this is to learn things and do what we haven't done before so whatever you feel would benefit you I'm happy with :) I'll offer suggestions along the way but I really want to see *your* design!

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    Oh, @creativemetaphor - I forgot to mention that with normal stacked stairs, the secret is to off set that bottom stairwell out one tile. So the overall footprint is one tile longer. I don't know if that helps your stacking or not.
  • Options
    @ciane Yeah, that's how I usually do it but it doesn't want to work with me this time. I think the frieze is messing things up. Or maybe I just did things in the wrong order or something.
  • Options
    Could be... stairs are picky. You have clear out everything around them to put them in and then put everything else back, which doesn't work so well with CFE.
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited March 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I have been reading a bit on medieval prisons and learned about "debtors prisons" that were common in most towns but I can't find any "blueprints" to copy from so I think I will be winging it. I might try doing a dungeon or two, I've never done those before.
    You may not find a lot of floor plans for prisons, but I think the reasons would be obvious, if you think about it. You wouldn't want prisoners' friends using them to help break their friends out! :lol:

However, there were some famous prisons that are no longer used, and you SHOULD be able to find floor plans on them. I was making a build of the London Tower Bridge once; that used to be used for high-ranking prisoners, and is no longer used. It IS used, however, for storing things like the crown jewels (at least, it used to be), so I don't know if you'd find floor plans on that, either. I was just winging the inside floor plan when I was working on it.

I googled "Newgate prison floor plan" and found images on it. That was a famous one that isn't used anymore. Even if you don't go with that plan, it should give you a good idea how they were laid out.

One suggestion I have would be to make it either residential, or make it commercial and stick a police rabbithole underneath it.

ETA: I also googled just Newgate Prison images, and found quite a few of the outside, so you can get an idea of that as well. Some of them are... pretty bleak.

ETA 2: Oh, I hadn't realized, Newgate Prison was torn down in 1777. Makes sense, then, that it's not used anymore, right? :p
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
  • Options
    @ADWilson - I just did the randomizer for next generation. There will be three children, at least one of them will be a step child. The main Sim will have alchemy as a career and the spouse will join the evil career field. In addition I must expand the house in some significant manner, adding on a room as a bedroom, art studio, or the like. Hmmm... the possibilities, huh?
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    I just did the randomizer for next generation. There will be three children, at least one of them will be a step child. The main Sim will have alchemy as a career and the spouse will join the evil career field. In addition I must expand the house in some significant manner, adding on a room as a bedroom, art studio, or the like. Hmmm... the possibilities, huh?

Lots of possibilities with those rolls! Is this the generation that will be moving into the house I'm building? If so, do you want me to incorporate any of this or would you prefer to do it as you go?
  • Options
    Yes, @ADWilson - This is the gen that moves into your house. So the three bedrooms will be perfect! I will have to add an expansion to the house (for the expansionist generation goal), so I can add an alchemy chamber (probably by adding a basement). I am super excited that your build will have three bedrooms (or two bedrooms and a nursery). That will work perfectly.

In what world are you building? It looks a bit like the coastal road coming into Sunset Valley or possibly Hidden Springs with those trees and the water.
  • Options
    hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2017
    @creativemetaphor That looks so cool so far! Already really loving the outside.

One tip for the stairs (although it seems you've figured it out on your own :)): I often leave a 4 by 4 room for split level stairs, then put single width half-height stairs in the center so the walls don't do that crazy thing.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yes, @ADWilson - This is the gen that moves into your house. So the three bedrooms will be perfect! I will have to add an expansion to the house (for the expansionist generation goal), so I can add an alchemy chamber (probably by adding a basement). I am super excited that your build will have three bedrooms (or two bedrooms and a nursery). That will work perfectly.

In what world are you building? It looks a bit like the coastal road coming into Sunset Valley or possibly Hidden Springs with those trees and the water.

@ciane
    Hmm ... let me show you what I have thus far for the upstairs so we can figure out where to go from there.
    a5a73d4b-b92b-4820-8d81-9c987f0b6811_zpsbef4fqp5.jpg

Landing
    I left the windows uncovered since this is such a nice view!
    ciane%20Landing_zpscyfjkvdy.jpg

Study
    Again, the windows were left uncovered to enjoy the view!
    ciane%20Study1_zpsvjslxxuh.jpg
    ciane%20Study2_zpsytyycbnz.jpg

Hall Bath (used mainly by the kids)
    ciane%20KidBath_zpsnb1uathz.jpg

Nursery/Child Bedroom
    ciane%20KidBed1_zpseztojb34.jpg
    ciane%20Kidbed2_zps0qttwb6i.jpg

Master Bedroom
    ciane%20MBed1_zpstdwakqrw.jpg
    ciane%20MBed2_zpsurrnrhxz.jpg

Master Bath
    ciane%20MBath1_zpskdflunab.jpg
    ciane%20MBath2_zpsllpuknis.jpg

Not sure if it's easy to tell or not, but the dressing area is behind the toilet and the tub area has a half wall to take advantage of the dressing area windows and to keep the space from feeling closed in.

This is built in Aurora Skies at 42 Sulfur Springs Road to sort of go with the lovely Scandinavian build from @creativemetaphor
    There are currently 2 bedrooms, not 3. The main living space contains the kitchen/dining/living and a half bath, but I could add a smaller bedroom and turn the half bath into a full bath if you want unless... you prefer placing a bedroom and bath down in the basement. Let me know :)
  • Options
    @hannahc1023
    That looks so cool so far! Already really loving the outside.

One tip for the stairs (although it seems you've figured it out on your own :)): I often leave a 4 by 4 room for split level stairs, then put single width half-height stairs in the center so the walls don't do that crazy thing.

I had started out that way because I didn't think I could get the outer walls to work but once I figured out the CFE I decided to give it a try with the walls right up against the stairs :)
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

@MiaSkywalker I just checked out the links, they will be very helpful.

Before I did that, I was doing a little sketching (I use excel sometimes) and this is what I came up with off the top of my head. It's just a rough outline of the first level. I see the dorms/cells and the work areas being two stories with lots of tall walls and towers. The blue stuff is a moat :)

prison%20layout_zpsvbrovln1.jpg

I have also been watching videos and learning how to do tombs, scary stuff coming!

I have to get the pictures for Addy's build together before I even attempt to start this.
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I have also been watching videos and learning how to do tombs, scary stuff coming!

I have to get the pictures for Addy's build together before I even attempt to start this.
    Oh, a tomb! That would be an excellent idea for a lot like this. But wow! I have some tomb treasure chests in my library build, but I've never learnt how to build a tomb with traps and stuff. Maybe that would be a fun challenge to run someday, learning to make tombs. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @ADWilson, it's perfect the way it's set up now. It's exactly right for moving in a family of at least three right away. (That step-children part is the unknown; so I won't know ages or even how many until much later.)

I love, love, love the layout!

I love that natural wood color in the master bedroom. (Would you mind using that same color wood in the nursery? I love that natural wood and I'd love that unity throughout.)

All your furnishing choices are spot on! I particularly love the dresser, nestled in the corner that way, and the wood you chose for it! The simplicity adds a very realistic tone. And, the way you placed the dressing area next to the bathroom and left the window light for the bath is genius!

That woodsy wall paper pop in the master bedroom is great! And, I love, love, love that bluish green color on the walls. Too perfect!

I love the toilet behind the tub wall like that! And the plant on the wall is perfect too! (Using the color of the mirror or planter on the hamper would add a little more contrast.)

I'm too tired tonight to do justice to your awesome design. I'm loving it and I look forward to seeing more.

@kgaff - that's excel? Wow! I'd never have thought to sketch in excel!

• Options
    @hannahc1023

Okay, the colors are more just to have something to differentiate surfaces, these aren't by any means final (and if you want specific colors or patterns let me know!)
    Screenshot-17_zpstmul0n7h.jpg

Screenshot-18_zpsg5kuua50.jpg

Screenshot-16_zpsq1tx1f2i.jpg

This shot shows the area that will be terraced, harvestable garden - off the butler's room and near the kitchen.
    Screenshot-15_zps7drhzfoi.jpg

Screenshot-20_zpsgni35zks.jpg

Screenshot-21_zpsfikoqvf5.jpg
  • Options
    @ciane, glad you like the layout and furnishing choices. :)

Here are your suggestions in action, please let me know what you think.
    ciane%20TT%20hamper_zpsrtkph6tw.jpg

Which do you prefer?
    10c891df-af18-4e82-ad38-e363f02ea1a6_zpsebdezl96.jpg
    2f581e14-92f9-44fb-95b6-bc41f1518dee_zpsylm8s5as.jpg
    800ae391-5ddd-416c-ab85-b4536867dc4b_zpsdgodpy4a.jpg
    49afa321-e0ff-4b2e-8055-0e3917bc28b7_zps3jvxrixu.jpg

Do you want the door and windows to match the natural wood color?
  • Options
    I like the last one best! Thank you so much for doing that for me. I love the green accent in the window and blinds just the way they are! But, maybe the door could be the same as the master bedroom doors as well.
  • Options
    I like the last one best! Thank you so much for doing that for me. I love the green accent in the window and blinds just the way they are! But, maybe the door could be the same as the master bedroom doors as well.

Got it. :)
    Will make those changes when I return from errands and then get going on the main floor. Additional pictures for feedback will be shared as soon as possible.
  • Options
    @ADWilson I *love* that bathroom! Surprised how well the green and pink coordinate there. Very clever to put the hamper between the sinks! :)
  • Options
    @Kgaff

Before I did that, I was doing a little sketching (I use excel sometimes)

I've totally done that! That's awesome! <3

Suddenly you've got me wanting to create a "family" of inmates and guards!
  • Options
    @hannahc1023
    Honestly, I'm really not liking it as of now, and it's pretty late to be restarting... Does anyone have any tips for me?

I think it looks great! I think mostly the only things missing are things that Sims 3 won't let us do anyway, so nothing to worry about there. Once you get a bit more set up around it, landscaping and decor and such, I think that'll go a long way to helping the overall appearance, but the building itself looks just fine as you've done it :)
  • Options
    I hope you are all having fun creating.

I've been having fun playing in the new home that @creativemetaphor created for me. Check out my play starting here to see why the home has less stuff in it. I think I kept it fairly true to its original look, but I had to delete a lot to make it affordable (and to met the rules of living green that I rolled).

I have thought more about changes to both kgaff's and mia's builds. So, now is probably time to load up one of those and return to recoloring.
  • Options
    @ciane OMGOODNESS!! It was so awesome to see my little house all lived in and loved! <3 I'm glad that it could be brought into the right price range without losing the structure itself :) Thank you for sharing!