Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited March 2017
    That book is a treasure trove of ideas. I'd like to start and build them all one by one. That might be my next winter hobby :)

I have to go delete some stuff from my studio, it seems I have exceeded my quota!
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @Kgaff, all the changes you made to the Dock House are wonderful! How nice of your sim to add artwork and upgrade the appliances. :)
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @Kgaff, all the changes you made to the Dock House are wonderful! How nice of your sim to add artwork and upgrade the appliances. :)

I left plenty of wall space for you to add your own creations and there are still things that need to be upgraded so your sims will be able to build skills.

I will upload it at the end of the week, I need to get the pictures arranged and that takes me some time. I'm glad you like it.

BTW it's in my bin for 18,430! A great starter price.
    Kgaff wrote: »
    I left plenty of wall space for you to add your own creations and there are still things that need to be upgraded so your sims will be able to build skills.

Sounds good to me, thanks. :)
    I will upload it at the end of the week, I need to get the pictures arranged and that takes me some time. I'm glad you like it.

BTW it's in my bin for 18,430! A great starter price.

That IS a great starter price! Looking forward to seeing & playing this.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    That book is a treasure trove of ideas. I'd like to start and build them all one by one. That might be my next winter hobby :)

I have to go delete some stuff from my studio, it seems I have exceeded my quota!

@kgaff - Do NOT believe it when it tells you that! The real key is moving out your screenshots folder and videos and downloads and anything else showing in your launcher. Just moving the folders out will allow your upload to go through (usually).

Yeah, Mia, I also noticed only the two floors of layout on the three story buildings. Maybe the top floor was attic and servant quarters.

@ciane, am thoroughly testing everything with a family of four (2 young adults and their children, a child and a toddler) and so far so good. :)

I wanted to know if you wanted anything upgraded or if someone in your legacy family will improve their handiness skill. I tend to gift homes with upgrades done, but didn't want to do this if you're planning to do it yourself. Either way is perfectly fine with me.
    Feel free to upgrade! I don't have a requirement for the handiness skill that generation. And the sim will need all the help possible! Thank you.
    ciane wrote: »
    Feel free to upgrade! I don't have a requirement for the handiness skill that generation. And the sim will need all the help possible! Thank you.

Will do the following upgrades to help out your sim:
    Unbreakable: Dishwasher, Television, Washing Machine, Hot Tub, Computer, Toilets, Sinks, Tub/Shower
    Improve Meal Quality: Stove <= no option for Fireproof with the Excessinator Stove
    Wire House with Speakers: Stereo <= I tend to do this so sims can hear music throughout the home

Hope these are okay. :)
    edited March 2017
    Sounds fine to me. I tend to make stereos unbreakable as I am leery of someone turning on a stereo while someone else is sleeping. And, one can never say thank you too much, so thank you, thank you, thank you for doing that. I am so going love playing in that home!

I've decided which pics go in Kgaff's uploads now and have already swapped out pics after limited editing in GIMP.

Next up is returning to the swimmable pond and MOOing in more rocks and vegetation I think.
    Sounds fine to me. I tend to make stereos unbreakable as I am leery of someone turning on a stereo while someone else is sleeping. And, one can never say thank you too much, so thank you, thank you, thank you for doing that. I am so going love playing in that home!

I can understand that & will make it unbreakable as well.
    You're very welcome! :smiley:
    My test family is really enjoying their home and I'm happily snapping screenshots of them in action. Many of those will be included in the "tour".
    edited March 2017
    Awesome! I thoroughly enjoy the playtesting part too. I didn't upgrade anything for kgaff because she said that she likes her sims to skill up. But I wanted to make sure there was plenty of room for a horse to run and eat and drink and train. And I always MOO something, so I had to make sure everything works as intended. Then, I have to go around and do all the laundry and empty the fridge before I upload. I think there was some laundry left in one of the hampers, and I'm not sure if there will be a puddle in the backyard or not. I know there were a couple plants that needed fertilizer. But it's always more of a challenge when you have more sims and pets to make sure that none of them are interacting with anything when you pause and evict them.

OH, @MiaSkywalker - you'll be happy to know that the price of the house Linda Rodgers lives in now is over 92,500. So, you can go over 100k on your budget. :D
    Help!! Since the launcher told me I had exceeded my quota there is now a red circle with a line through it and it won't let me upload. Do I have to delete that one from the launcher and re-export a new one?

@creativemetaphor I was toying with the beginning of the prison build...what do you think. This is the main entrance and I am imaging it as being where the prisoners are sentenced or whatever they did.
    Screenshot-89_zpsvtyhnlxj.jpg

Oh and I need to know, do you have either the Tutor of Tudors set or the Celtic Lands?
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @Kgaff
    Oh and I need to know, do you have either the Tutor of Tudors set or the Celtic Lands?

Def have Celtic Lands, pretty sure I've got Tudors but will double check - just use it, if I don't have it I'll buy it. lol
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @Kgaff

Def have Celtic Lands, pretty sure I've got Tudors but will double check - just use it, if I don't have it I'll buy it. lol
    If you don't have it, I can gift you a couple of things to get you CYS on it. I don't have enough to buy you the whole set, but I think it does come up in the DD at some point, so with CYS you should be able to get it pretty cheaply.
    OH, @MiaSkywalker - you'll be happy to know that the price of the house Linda Rodgers lives in now is over 92,500. So, you can go over 100k on your budget. :D
    Yay! :lol: Since I'm terrible about keeping under budget, that will help a lot!
    edited March 2017
    Help!! Since the launcher told me I had exceeded my quota there is now a red circle with a line through it and it won't let me upload. Do I have to delete that one from the launcher and re-export a new one?

@creativemetaphor I was toying with the beginning of the prison build...what do you think. This is the main entrance and I am imaging it as being where the prisoners are sentenced or whatever they did.

I love this! Yay, for medieval courtrooms! :D.

You need to make sure you remove (or rename) it from your exports folder if it's there. And yes, even if you remove it from your studio, if you uploaded it before, they will now have a file with that name on their site. Just rename it slightly and it should work.
    Yeah, Mia, I also noticed only the two floors of layout on the three story buildings. Maybe the top floor was attic and servant quarters.
    Could be. I think they often slept either above or below, or in a separate wing, depending upon the size of the house. I will most likely use the top floor for the alchemist table. I would like to put in the spellbook, but.. that would break even the budget you have! (I've never understood why EA decided that item should cost our Sims 75k. I mean, really? Although it would definitely grant the "buy something worth at least $2000" wish.)

In some of the floor plans, in the descriptive page to the left, they often say that they are placing the kitchen in the basement. Since Sims won't carry platters of food upstairs (I don't think, at least), I will definitely not be following those guidelines. :)
    @MiaSkywalker That is so sweet of you!! Thank you! I do have most of the Tudor items that aren't clothes, so @kgaff whatever you want to use just let me know and I'll make sure to get it.

@hannahc1023 I did a bunch more work on the house tonight but by the time I realized what time it was it's a bit too late to fuss with screenshots and photobucket and links so those will have to wait. I have started fleshing out the main floor and even playing with furniture and decor in places.

The only thing that I'm really not happy with - and I should have thought of this at the very beginning - the way the light won't fall on the walls correctly where they're stacked, so the CFE walls are going to look odd no matter what I cover them with. I'll do my best though. Thankfully with the modern aesthetic I can use mostly flat walls where the CFE funky stuff happens and save the bits of pattern for the regular walls.

Also, you said your world items were showing up now, are your store items, also?

oh, @kgaff, that looks great! Love those curved turret walls and the stone work!
    The only thing that I'm really not happy with - and I should have thought of this at the very beginning - the way the light won't fall on the walls correctly where they're stacked, so the CFE walls are going to look odd no matter what I cover them with. I'll do my best though. Thankfully with the modern aesthetic I can use mostly flat walls where the CFE funky stuff happens and save the bits of pattern for the regular walls.

I play with stationing lights all over to try and blend them better, but yeah... I really wish that the lighting was multi-storied.
    I finally got the Budget Buster uploaded http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9065878

I'll be putting up Addy's build later, I have everything organized and ready to go but I must go bake an apple pie for dessert tonight.
    @ciane

I play with stationing lights all over to try and blend them better, but yeah... I really wish that the lighting was multi-storied.

Actually, I think I may have just thought up a solution! (I love these ah-ha! moments)

I can simply make the division between upper and lower wall part of the wall design - use it as a division between different treatments! Then it doesn't have to match in color or lighting effects and it gives me the ability to add some interest as well!

The only thing to worry about is the transition where the wall skews from short to tall, but I can probably just hide that behind some nice tall decor :)

@kgaff Oooh pie! <3

Yeah, @creativemetaphor - that's the best way to go!

Yay @kgaff. They look great!
    @ciane

Actually, I think I may have just thought up a solution! (I love these ah-ha! moments)

I can simply make the division between upper and lower wall part of the wall design - use it as a division between different treatments! Then it doesn't have to match in color or lighting effects and it gives me the ability to add some interest as well!

The only thing to worry about is the transition where the wall skews from short to tall, but I can probably just hide that behind some nice tall decor :)

@kgaff Oooh pie! <3

Have you tried playing with the wall lights in debug? Sometimes you can angle them just right to light up hard to reach places.

Pie smells delish! :)
    @ciane

@kgaff Oooh pie! <3

Have you tried playing with the wall lights in debug? Sometimes you can angle them just right to light up hard to reach places.

Pie smells delish! :)

New Question Do you haveThe Duke of Bows Renaissance Faire?