Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    First of all, I want to apologize for my relative silence these past few days. I've been having some bad pain days lately, and I don't know how long this pain run will last. I'm glad I finished my build for CM early, as I wouldn't have been able to think clearly enough to get by any difficulties if I was trying to build right now.

Second, I wanted to let you all know that I updated the fourth post with specific dates for each round. So if someone gets confused, it's laid out there. I figured it would help me as well, in case I forget when we are in a particular round. :)

Third, I hope that all the lurkers know that they are free to post on this thread as well. If you have a suggestion, or comment, or anything to help out or ask one of the participants, please feel free. This is for all of you as well. :)
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @MiaSkywalker What an awful thing to go through, sounds like this is a recurring thing for you. :(

Thank you for the schedule, that will definitely be handy as we get further into this!
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I almost had another big oops. I had started Mia's build in Kgaff's folder and later made a copy of the folder to split them. That way I could add in all the EPs and SPs for Mia. When cleaning out the saves, I almost deleted Kgaff's saves from Mia's folder; but because of the recent snaffu I had with the swimmable pond, I decided to leave Kgaff's saves as a back up. Boy am I glad I did that. I loaded Kgaffs folder today and it was missing lots of folders inside the sims 3 folder. I'm not sure what happened there. Maybe ccleaner cleaning up what it considered loose folders on the desktop? I don't know. And maybe it was that I forgot to turn back off the some of the EPs and SPs, but that should only mess up when reversing the sequence - not having all EPs and SPs turned on that were used in a build. Anyway, I survived the almost loss of Kgaff's build because I wasn't overly orderly in my clean up this time!

I think tomorrow I'll export the build to the launcher and do the pictures so it's all ready to upload. I was going to test a few more things with dogs because I've only playtested with a horse and colt so far; but I'm getting leery now.
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @ciane, glad you prevented another oops moment! Those are so scary.

Time for more sneak peeks.
    I decided to keep things simple in case you wanted things moved/changed. Let me know what you think.

32741896-31a8-4241-a50d-dbf1593f7d8f_zpsd4fw4pdr.jpg

As soon as you walk up the stairs, you're facing the kitchen.
    ciane%20Kitchen_zpsszfvif5c.jpg

I went with an open plan to keep it light and airy & take advantage of the gorgeous views outside.
    ciane%20Dining_zpsjfwoa3lj.jpg
    ciane%20Living1_zpsxkwoklfr.jpg
    ciane%20Living2_zpsfxzxxgrt.jpg

Half Bath
    ciane%20Half%20Bath_zpsmtyncown.jpg

Balcony
    ciane%20Balcony_zpscfm9yfcy.jpg
  • Options
    I *love* that bathroom! Surprised how well the green and pink coordinate there. Very clever to put the hamper between the sinks! :)

Thank you :)
    I'm quite pleased with how well it turned out.
    The bits of pink accented the shades of green nicely.
    I usually forget to leave enough room for a hamper so I made sure to graph each room before placing furniture & decor.
  • Options
    @hannahc1023 Got more of the interior roughed in today! Here are overhead shots of the basement and upper floor.

Screenshot-5_zpssveetiao.jpg
    Screenshot-2_zpslekegfwe.jpg

The main floor needs work yet, but I did get the kitchen island placed! And the main floor fireplaces
    Screenshot-6_zpsjdq8v2rl.jpg
    Screenshot-7_zpswmul2qrm.jpg
    Screenshot-8_zpsryrekwrs.jpg

And while I never did get the stairs to do exactly what I wanted, I am really happy with how they finally turned out :)
    Screenshot-3_zpsa0o9sdz1.jpg

Again, these colors/patterns aren't final, so if you see something you don't like or have specific requests, lemme know
  • Options
    Wow, @creativemetaphor - great job on that CFE and MOO use!

@ADWilson - The layout looks great. I particularly love the curved seating around the t.v. The hanging chair and grill on the patio are perfect! I love the nice warm wood tones you used on most of the furniture. (Is the television the same wood?) That is a gorgeous blue in the wall paper. I love that only the living room rug has a bold pattern and that the others are mellow with nice contrast. I think the living room rug could use a contrasting border as well. (I might use a striped pattern just on the border that included beige with those blues to tie in with the couch. Then I might try that bordered pattern on the chairs.) One thing I usually do is make the angled stairwell wall a solid wall paper. Using that beige wood there would add just the right amount of contrast and create a focal point for the t.v. The only other thing I might change would be to lighten the dark tiles in the bath to the beige used in the main room as small rooms are always helped to seem more roomy by lightening the color.

I am really loving this home. You have done a fantastic job and I am excited for Jordan to grow up and move in to it. I am so happy you found such a great inspirational home and that, by chance, I need this size home for my next generation. How awesome is that? I got a great small home by creativemetaphor and now I get another fantastically awesome perfectly sized home for my next generation too. I love, love, love the way both of these homes have turned out! Thank you so very, very much.
  • Options
    @ciane Thanks!! This is definitely an ambitious build, I really should have stuck to a smaller house for my first extensive CFE use, but plum, where's the fun in that? LOL
  • Options
    @ciane
    Let me know what you think of the following...
    ciane wrote: »
    The layout looks great. I particularly love the curved seating around the t.v. The hanging chair and grill on the patio are perfect! I love the nice warm wood tones you used on most of the furniture. (Is the television the same wood?) That is a gorgeous blue in the wall paper. I love that only the living room rug has a bold pattern and that the others are mellow with nice contrast. I think the living room rug could use a contrasting border as well. (I might use a striped pattern just on the border that included beige with those blues to tie in with the couch. Then I might try that bordered pattern on the chairs.)
    ciane%20Rug_zpsugw2221n.jpg
    ciane%20DiningChair_zpsnlqqshie.jpg
    One thing I usually do is make the angled stairwell wall a solid wall paper. Using that beige wood there would add just the right amount of contrast and create a focal point for the t.v.
    ciane%20StairWall_zpsv3sia27a.jpg
    Wood on television changed to match the rest of the wood tones and provide more contrast against the all-beige wood wall.
    The only other thing I might change would be to lighten the dark tiles in the bath to the beige used in the main room as small rooms are always helped to seem more roomy by lightening the color.
    ciane%20Bath_zpsdt3hw7e2.jpg
    The "light" tile was already that beige color so I changed the "dark" tile to that color and lightened it a notch or two. The wall was changed from the "dark" to the lighter beige tone.
    I am really loving this home. You have done a fantastic job and I am excited for Jordan to grow up and move in to it. I am so happy you found such a great inspirational home and that, by chance, I need this size home for my next generation. How awesome is that? I got a great small home by creativemetaphor and now I get another fantastically awesome perfectly sized home for my next generation too. I love, love, love the way both of these homes have turned out! Thank you so very, very much.

Glad you like the layout & house. It doesn't feel like a small house, which I like, and can easily have a basement as well as an additional floor added to accommodate a growing family's needs. :) I think it's pretty awesome that you're getting homes you want/need for each generation in this RR!
  • Options
    @ciane Thanks!! This is definitely an ambitious build, I really should have stuck to a smaller house for my first extensive CFE use, but plum, where's the fun in that? LOL

:mrgreen:

@MiaSkywalker - I plan to round robin through all the homes built for me, so I rolled ahead to see what the next generational goals and requirements would be for the fourth generation. I got a single parent with four kids in the education career. I think this will fit better with Addy's build in Aurora Skies. I could have a female heiress hook up with Lief Helgason, who has three children already, long enough to get pregnant and then move out with all the kids (a teen, a child, a toddler, and one on the way) to the home that Addy made for me.

So, that means my next generation heir (gen 3) will be an alchemist and his spouse in the criminal career. He must have at least one step-child and a total of 3 kids. And he must add an expansion on to the house. Ideally, for an alchemist, he'd move to Moonlight Falls next. And for the step-child requirement, he could marry Linda Rodgers who has adopted Sophie (a fairy toddler). She is in the culinary profession, but is a gatherer in addition to being a friendly, natural cook who aspires to be a culinary librarian. She likes listening to kids music and could therefore possibly have twins. This seems a build you would be perfect for! You could make a small three-bedroom Victorian home with a nursery and little girls room. You could add an alchemy room in the attic or basement. You could start a garden or fill chests with stuff my alchemist will need. Does that sound fun?

p.s. I do sincerely hope you are feeling much better now than you were. The only natural help I know for pain is avoiding all sweets and sodium that can cause inflamation. Healing thoughts and energy your way.
  • Options
    @ADWilson - I love all the changes, except I really loved the blue tile in the bath. I thought to just lighten the other (as you did). Though the tile colors now look good too.

I think the house is the perfect size, but I do love that it could grow with the family too. I am having so much fun playing the legacy this way and I wonder what adventures await this way. There are so many worlds I really haven't played much at all. So all the starting over in new homes in new places is most of the fun.
  • Options
    I love all the changes, except I really loved the blue tile in the bath. I thought to just lighten the other (as you did). Though the tile colors now look good too.

I think the house is the perfect size, but I do love that it could grow with the family too. I am having so much fun playing the legacy this way and I wonder what adventures await this way. There are so many worlds I really haven't played much at all. So all the starting over in new homes in new places is most of the fun.

The original tiles colors in the half bath were beige and grey. I can go lighten the beige to the new shade and keep the grey tile if you'd like to keep that color on hand.

I agree. It's nice to be able to explore new places and a legacy is a good way to do it. :)
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @MiaSkywalker I hope you are feeling better :) Your library came out great! I have learned more about medieval time than I thought I ever would.
    @ciane Whew!!! That would have been a disaster to loose all that work.
    @ADWilson I love the color scheme you used, the blue with the dark wood looks so nice! And the entire layout looks so welcoming.
    @creativemetaphor Loving the interior layout and the sneak peak at the colors. It's looking good!

I have some pictures of the starter that went nuts! Like I blew the budget up to over 102,000 simoleans. I'm going to call it The Budget Buster :)
    Screenshot-66_zpsmxivhf8a.jpg
    Screenshot-53_zpsxkhuuv3g.jpg
    Screenshot-55_zpsefomifzo.jpg

Screenshot-65_zpsi4gmpsbk.jpg
    Screenshot-64_zpsjnvzlmgk.jpg
    Screenshot-58_zpskhsbhva3.jpg
    Screenshot-60_zpsrdl6te2k.jpg
  • Options
    @ADWilson - Sorry I mixed up the colors, but it's fine the way it is.

@kgaff - Wow! Love the name and great build! Those wood floors must have been a pain to put together, but they do look nice.
  • Options
    @adwilson I made some changes to the Dock House.
    My handy sim came in and did some work, the oven is fire proof so you can't have the place burn down and the toilet is self-cleaning (who wants to spend time doing that?)
    She also did some sketching and painting so there is some art work now. It does stay with the house when you evict them.
    I changed the wall treatment of the upstairs office area to a light wood paneling with a pale blue above and the bedroom has now been decorated.
    Screenshot-49_zpsvmz767vp.jpg
    Screenshot-44_zpsaezzfibn.jpg

Screenshot-41_zpstoznfdzk.jpg

Screenshot-47_zpss4tpmklj.jpg

Added some doo dads to the kitchen
    Screenshot-51_zps0yx1yebh.jpg

We also made sure there was room to move around in
    Screenshot-37_zpsnkh3kuu4.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2017
    @MiaSkywalker - I plan to round robin through all the homes built for me, so I rolled ahead to see what the next generational goals and requirements would be for the fourth generation. I got a single parent with four kids in the education career. I think this will fit better with Addy's build in Aurora Skies. I could have a female heiress hook up with Lief Helgason, who has three children already, long enough to get pregnant and then move out with all the kids (a teen, a child, a toddler, and one on the way) to the home that Addy made for me.

So, that means my next generation heir (gen 3) will be an alchemist and his spouse in the criminal career. He must have at least one step-child and a total of 3 kids. And he must add an expansion on to the house. Ideally, for an alchemist, he'd move to Moonlight Falls next. And for the step-child requirement, he could marry Linda Rodgers who has adopted Sophie (a fairy toddler). She is in the culinary profession, but is a gatherer in addition to being a friendly, natural cook who aspires to be a culinary librarian. She likes listening to kids music and could therefore possibly have twins. This seems a build you would be perfect for! You could make a small three-bedroom Victorian home with a nursery and little girls room. You could add an alchemy room in the attic or basement. You could start a garden or fill chests with stuff my alchemist will need. Does that sound fun?

p.s. I do sincerely hope you are feeling much better now than you were. The only natural help I know for pain is avoiding all sweets and sodium that can cause inflamation. Healing thoughts and energy your way.
    So... that would be a mid-sized (not small, not large) house, with room for two adults and three kids. Two cribs, just to be on the safe side, and perhaps a bunk bed; the two cribs could be replaced by another single once the toddler(s) become children.

With an alchemist, a criminal, and a cook (not sure how that would work out - if the spouse has to be in the criminal career, but she's in the culinary profession, how would you do that?), then you'd probably want an extensive kitchen, along with some gym equipment and of course an alchemy table. Sounds like Linda is Good (or at least, similar enough), so if you do Criminal for her, it would be Master Thief, not the evil track. That means you wouldn't need logic building objects, although I find chess tables are useful for building both the social and fun needs for your Sims.

Yeah, I can see doing that. I could use that wonderful Victorian floor plan site that CM gave us a while ago to get ideas from. :) I had been thinking I would do more of a modern or contemporary build, since that seems to be what you prefer, but I've been having trouble finding something that I like that I think you would like too. I'm really just not used to building contemporary houses at all, so nothing I've found yet has inspired me.

Is there any particular budget you want me to attempt to keep within? Although I will warn you, I'm terrible about keeping with budgets, so I may not manage it. :)

As for the pain, it's from diabetic neuropathy, so I avoid sweets anyway. It's incurable, and the problem will only get worse over time. I will probably lose my left foot within 10 years; there's a chance I will lose my right foot as well. The pain is sometimes so intense that all I can do is sleep to try to get past it. There are only three pain killers that work on this at all; two of them I can't take, and the third I'm on the maximum dosage already. I really, really don't like walking; the nerves that control the muscles on the bottoms of my feet are dead, so I can't move my toes, and I absolutely cannot balance. It's not that I have no sense of balance; I have a very good one. But because I can't move the muscles on the bottoms of my feet, I CANNOT balance, because all the little foot muscles and toe movements that normally keep a person balanced, just don't work for me. As you can guess, it gets extremely frustrating at times, and sometimes it makes me want to cry. But it is what it is, and it's never going to get better, so I live with it.
  • Options
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @ciane, glad you prevented another oops moment! Those are so scary.

Time for more sneak peeks.
    AD, that house is so nice! I'm not really into small modern builds, but I think I want to use yours at some point as a "starter" the next time I play a more contemporary world. (No, I don't worry about budgets for my starting Sims! I just want something pretty to play in.) I love how harmonious everything in that build is!
  • Options
    I almost had another big oops. I had started Mia's build in Kgaff's folder and later made a copy of the folder to split them. That way I could add in all the EPs and SPs for Mia. When cleaning out the saves, I almost deleted Kgaff's saves from Mia's folder; but because of the recent snaffu I had with the swimmable pond, I decided to leave Kgaff's saves as a back up. Boy am I glad I did that. I loaded Kgaffs folder today and it was missing lots of folders inside the sims 3 folder. I'm not sure what happened there. Maybe ccleaner cleaning up what it considered loose folders on the desktop? I don't know. And maybe it was that I forgot to turn back off the some of the EPs and SPs, but that should only mess up when reversing the sequence - not having all EPs and SPs turned on that were used in a build. Anyway, I survived the almost loss of Kgaff's build because I wasn't overly orderly in my clean up this time!

I think tomorrow I'll export the build to the launcher and do the pictures so it's all ready to upload. I was going to test a few more things with dogs because I've only playtested with a horse and colt so far; but I'm getting leery now.

You might copy your entire Saves folder to another hard drive, if you have one, before you do any more cleaning. The game DOES have a limitation on how many saves it can see in your Saves folder (it's under one hundred, but I'm not sure the exact number), so you do have to keep things cleaned out, but that's why you might want to first save the entire kit and kaboodle to a completely different drive for safekeeping. I have a 4 TB drive that I use only for saving emails and Sims stuff; it includes all my builds (in original Sims3pack files), anything I've downloaded, and every Sim game Save I've ever made since the beginning of time. (And since I use Saver, and never overwrite a save, you might guess that this is quite a large number.)

It's just a suggestion, but nowadays large hard drives are cheap, and since 4TB drives are worthless as system drives, you might as well use one for a data drive.
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker @ciane I don't do a fresh save game for all my builds, I usually do those saves to the library since there isn't an entire game I'm playing that I care about in those situations - just the build itself. Then I can save stages along the way - the save goes faster anyway - and I can clear out the oldest by just going through the library and picking the earlier saves and deleting them.
  • Options
    I know that vegan diets can reverse diabetes (type 2) and that avoiding all oils and eating healthy can reverse build up in arteries (Forks over Knives - heart doctors and their studies). So, some things can get better when other factors are changed. Doctors only know what they've seen and not everything that is possible. I like to hold out hope, but I admit I don't know much neuropathy and what you are dealing with every day. I hope that your situation, if not possible to really improve, at least doesn't get much worse too soon. I have a dislocated toe that can't be fixed and the doctors have suggested that removing it is an option, so I really, really feel for you.

For a budget, I thought the price of the home where Linda is living plus a normal starter budget would work. I can move my heir in with her and then move them to the new house. So, at least 35k, I'm guessing. I haven't been able to find her home on-line yet, I'll have to go in game and look it up (or search more). She'd have to quit the culinary job she loves to become a master thief. (Yes, I thought that would be much better for as well.) But she can still cook and learn recipes, so she'll still be able to achieve her LTW. You won't have to worry about gym equipment as I just have them jog everywhere and they max their skill easily that way.
  • Options
    My normal save routine is:
    Load either a vanilla - no store - sims 3 folder OR a fully loaded with store content, but never played, Sims 3 folder.
    I have a sims 3 folder with a mods folder added,with Overwatch and NoCD to extend CD and game life.
    I have some worlds that have been altered to make building easier (unpopulated and residential lots removed), so that will save both load and save time so I have Sims 3 SV lt version and Sims 3 RV lt version.
    These folders are my starting folders to chose before loading up.
    And I have the Any Game Selector that lets me hide whatever EPs and SPs that I check before loading too.

Then, when I'm actually building, I save my game through edit town mode at certain stages along the way so...
    SVbridge then is SVbridgePond then SVbridgePondBld then SVbridgePondBldSwim then SV bridgePondBldSwimLand. When I'm done for the day, I simply manually delete the earlier versions, keeping the last three.

I had messed up because I had created an earlier test for something and forgot. So when I saw "test" I kept that and the two with it. The date however was a day earlier than the swimmable version. Had I checked the time hacks, as I normally do, I'd have had the latest three by time hack and deleted all the others. I rarely keep more than the last three saves.

With the almost mess up. I'm thinking that copying the folder to desktop was interrupted and didn't finish. When I went to reload that copy, it was missing several folders!

I do have the sims 3 folder with all store content backed up on a thumb drive.
  • Options
    @Ciane;

Here are some Victorian designs that I want you to look at. These all seem of appropriate size (or perhaps a bit larger) for what you need. If any of these appeal to you, please let me know. I tried to pick some that were large enough for a family of 4/5. Note, however, that some of these floor plans show only one - or even no - bathroom. I would obviously have to modify the plans accordingly; unlike in the true Victorian era, what I make for you will have indoor plumbing. :)
    200uwj6.jpg
    es3lmf.jpg
    16ab30z.jpg
    1jqbeo.jpg
    33bjxxz.jpg
    mv2s94.jpg
    ehkfic.jpg
    2a6v1i9.jpg
    faut1.jpg
    8zmetx.jpg
    nn4bpd.jpg
    1z678lc.jpg
    2aaheuu.jpg
    4zxirs.jpg
    k2ck78.jpg
    ilbt3p.jpg
    2zs04xs.jpg
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker @ciane I don't do a fresh save game for all my builds, I usually do those saves to the library since there isn't an entire game I'm playing that I care about in those situations - just the build itself. Then I can save stages along the way - the save goes faster anyway - and I can clear out the oldest by just going through the library and picking the earlier saves and deleting them.

This is what I do also.

I name the first save - for example, Adwil rr prelim - then the next one is prelim2 and so on until I get the final one. Then I delete all the prelims. That way if I like one of the other ones, I still have them until I finally decide to call the build done.
  • Options
    I like that last one best - only two stories and a good layout. You can leave off the tower if you like. I can see this working really well in Moonlight Falls.
  • Options
    I like that last one best - only two stories and a good layout. You can leave off the tower if you like. I can see this working really well in Moonlight Falls.
    Actually, the funny thing is that even the homes that have more than two floors, they only show the first two floors for the floor plans.

I realized after I had selected those and posted them that the builds would probably mostly be too large. I was going more for what I liked the looks of, than what was most practical. :lol: