Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    edited March 2017
    Maybe some reddish wood as trim in the pillars and bookcase, so they'd have a mix of woods in them.

screenshot-166.jpg
    And I finished landscaping that elevated hill. There are a lot of trees around, so there are a lot of shadows. I'll have to add some kind of outdoor torches. Any preferences there?

screenshot-176.jpg
    Too non-medieval?

Boardwalk, Fairy folk, circus bench? Something I haven't loaded right now?
    screenshot-204.jpg

Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    ciane wrote: »
    Okay, @MiaSkywalker - is this too busy? too much contrast?
    Neither too busy nor too much contrast. That looks good together. :)
  • Options
    Maybe some reddish wood as trim in the pillars and bookcase, so they'd have a mix of woods in them.

screenshot-166.jpg
    And I finished landscaping that elevated hill. There are a lot of trees around, so there are a lot of shadows. I'll have to add some kind of outdoor torches. Any preferences there?
    I usually use Pete's Postlight from Nothing Atoll, although, admittedly, it's a bit more tropical than medieval. :)
    screenshot-176.jpg
    Too non-medieval?
    Not at all! That's very fairy-like, which totally goes with the whimsical shape of the bridge. I love it!
    Boardwalk, Fairy folk, circus bench? Something I haven't loaded right now?
    screenshot-204.jpg
    I think I like the Faire Folk bench best. Another alternative is the Bangalor Love Seat, from India Inspired Living, if you use a preset without the overlay.
  • Options
    I tried that, it looked... bleah. At least using something that was bright red in either of those.

Hm... a mixture of woods in the pillars, and maybe the stairs? That might work too.
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @hannahc1023 Just in case you missed it ;)
    @hannahc1023

Okay!! Hannah, here is my rough design for your house. I'm going to try to push myself to use CFE, so whether I can get it to work properly some of the parts of this might change but let me know what you think so far:

hannahc.jpg

The main living area is stepped, the kitchen overlooks the living room, the butler's suite is behind the kitchen and garage.
    The lower floor has the three kids' rooms with en suites and the gym with its own bath, a family room/den, and the laundry.
    The upper floor has two offices (I'm not terribly happy with them just yet, we'll see how it works once I have the roof on) and a library, the master bedroom with private deck, and what will be a generous master bath.

I haven't sketched up the landscaping or pool yet, but there will be both, plus a pool house, gardens, etc.

:)

• Options
    @creativemetaphor :

I've been trying to figure out how I want to do the tables on the second floor. I had something fairly simple, but I'm thinking maybe the tables should add a bit of interest. I would like your opinion on which of these you prefer. The bottom one is the one I had before.
    ounnt0.jpg
    vqpk68.jpg
    11glssx.jpg
    qrn0cx.jpg

In addition, which of these spiral stairs CASt do you prefer - the one on the left, or the one on the right?
    358c3lv.jpg

One more thing. I'm trying something with the candles, but want to know if you'd prefer I use the white I originally had, or if I should use another color.
    a9lmx4.jpg
    2w2ne6a.jpg
    iyhm9w.jpg
    2vke0du.jpg
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Candles in period would have been either tallow or beeswax so a yellowish color - but the ones you have in the middle of those chairs are so striking in the red!!

I think i like the more monotone stairs on the right
    What are those booth-looking things in the back corners?

I like both the first and the last table, so either a mix or whichever looks better with the other wood tones around it. :)
    If you can't decide I like the first better
  • Options
    hannahc1023hannahc1023 Posts: 55 Member
    @hannahc1023 Just in case you missed it ;)
    @hannahc1023

Okay!! Hannah, here is my rough design for your house. I'm going to try to push myself to use CFE, so whether I can get it to work properly some of the parts of this might change but let me know what you think so far:

hannahc.jpg

The main living area is stepped, the kitchen overlooks the living room, the butler's suite is behind the kitchen and garage.
    The lower floor has the three kids' rooms with en suites and the gym with its own bath, a family room/den, and the laundry.
    The upper floor has two offices (I'm not terribly happy with them just yet, we'll see how it works once I have the roof on) and a library, the master bedroom with private deck, and what will be a generous master bath.

I haven't sketched up the landscaping or pool yet, but there will be both, plus a pool house, gardens, etc.

:)

Gah, I totally missed it... That looks AMAZING! Exactly what I was hoping for, thank you :smile:
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker Candles in period would have been either tallow or beeswax so a yellowish color - but the ones you have in the middle of those chairs are so striking in the red!!

I think i like the more monotone stairs on the right
    What are those booth-looking things in the back corners?

I like both the first and the last table, so either a mix or whichever looks better with the other wood tones around it. :)
    If you can't decide I like the first better
    The monotone stairs are the ones I'd had before, but I was trying to add some more color to the room. :)

Doing those candles in red would match what I've done to the windows, so I think I will color them that way. :)

Those booths on the third floor are meant to be confessional booths. :) Actually, they're photo booths, but... I'm not sure which EP they're from. I've turned off the EPs and SPs you don't have, so I assumed those are something you do have, but maybe not? You can find them in... I think they're somewhere under hobbies and entertainment, but I don't remember which tab. (And my game just crashed, so I can't check at the moment.)
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker
    You said dark reds, so I tried this. Is it too much, or is this the kind of thing you meant?

You mean the window trim? I like that :)

• Options
    @hannahc1023

Gah, I totally missed it... That looks AMAZING! Exactly what I was hoping for, thank you :smile:

LOL I figured, there was a flurry of posting today!

And Great! I'll start building :mrgreen:
  • Options
    @creativemetaphor :

I've been modifying the basement; I wanted to add the monk's cells in some way, and this seemed the best way to do it.

First, the original layout for the basement.
    fw7htt.jpg
    2nsrsb8.jpg
    ar3aa.jpg

Now, the modified layout of the basement.
    10i9ksj.jpg
    28b43tc.jpg
    33tko4j.jpg
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker oooh! I was hoping you'd add monk's chambers <3 That looks awesome!
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker oooh! I was hoping you'd add monk's chambers <3 That looks awesome!
    At first I wasn't sure how I would do it. I had forgotten to do it before I had added the third floor, and then I thought I would add them into a basement. That was when I found out, to my surprise, that there's a basement already. :)

I didn't change much on the very bottom floor, other than the chairs themselves, and a tiny bit of CASting. I think, in fact, that I'm pretty much done now, other than perhaps a few misc deco details and some CASting. I'll post pictures of what I've got either tonight and tomorrow, and if there are any details you would like changed (added, subtracted, CASted, etc.), just let me know.

Ironically, after I had finished testing it, it was nighttime in the game, so now I have to wait until daytime to get the outside pictures. :) I also temporarily changed it to No Visitors Allowed, because I was tired of all the photo-bombing NPCs. And now I also have about a dozen books lying around, that my testing Sim is going to have to put back into the bookcases. *sigh* Sloppy NPCs!
  • Options
    @MiaSkywalker :lol: I guess they're from University Life! How did I have it for so long and have no idea it had photo booths?! :astonished: Obviously I'm not getting enough chocolate. That must be it.
  • Options
    Today I worked on the swimmable pond. It's not a typical swimmable pond that puts pond all around the pool and then fills in the space all around the pool with rocks and plants to hide the edges. I had to do something different. So I made a half pond, half pool.

https://iamciane.wordpress.com/builds/swimmable-pond/

And @kgaff - I hope you are having fun simming and building. In case you missed it, which bookcase do you prefer? Or would you like another? There's room for a 3-tile bookcase there.
    screenshot-85.jpg?ssl=1&w=450
  • Options
    Today I worked on the swimmable pond. It's not a typical swimmable pond that puts pond all around the pool and then fills in the space all around the pool with rocks and plants to hide the edges. I had to do something different. So I made a half pond, half pool.

What an excellent tutorial! Once again, I am bookmarking it. :) I don't have time to try it out right now, but I will, because i want to make sure I understand it. :)
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

And @kgaff - I hope you are having fun simming and building. In case you missed it, which bookcase do you prefer? Or would you like another? There's room for a 3-tile bookcase there.
    screenshot-85.jpg?ssl=1&w=450

Sorry, our internet is having troubles today, dropping in and out since last night. Someone knocked some lines down somehow and it hasn't been right since they fixed it.

Bookcases...nothing oriental would go in a countryish style house I would think.

How about one of the more country ones with some decor on them like the Overachieving Bookshelf from the Bayside set or my ultimate fav is the one from the Club Vaindenburger Study, the Venerable Vellum Volume Vault.

BTW, has anyone heard from Adwilson, she hasn't posted since Monday. I hope she is okay.
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

Paging @ADWilson :)

I need your help and input.
    Here's a link to the previous post
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15619592/#Comment_15619592

Good news, I have been playing around and I think I have a bonus for you, a true starter for two sims.
    It's basically the same style only on a smaller lot, 20x20 and less expensive furnishings. I'll get some pictures a bit later.
  • Options
    @ciane

THAT'S BRILLIANT!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »
    BTW, has anyone heard from @Adwilson, she hasn't posted since Monday. I hope she is okay.
    I haven't heard from her either. I sent her a PM a few days ago, and one yesterday, neither of which has she responded to. I wasn't surprised about the first - it wasn't something she needed to respond to - but I am surprised about the second.

I hope she's all right. Maybe she's just away for a few days with no internet access.
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Paging @ADWilson :)

I need your help and input.
    Here's a link to the previous post
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15619592/#Comment_15619592

Good news, I have been playing around and I think I have a bonus for you, a true starter for two sims.
    It's basically the same style only on a smaller lot, 20x20 and less expensive furnishings. I'll get some pictures a bit later.

My goodness, you've been busy!

Changing the columns made quite a difference to the front... I like! The landscaping looks fabulous and suits Lucky Palms :)

Making the empty room on the upper right into a powder room/laundry is a good idea.

The entry and living room is fantastic! GREAT colors and furnishings, wonderful room divider and other wood trims.

Really nice home office! The anatomy skeleton made me chuckle.

Red is a nice contrast for the blue. The dining nook is neat ~ never would have thought to do one because I didn't realize it would work. The blue counter top is quite striking against the gray. Sorry, not sure why but the last cabinet (nearest window) looks out of place with the others.

My doctor sim is going to enjoy living here!!!

A bonus?! Oh my!
  • Options
    ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    BTW, has anyone heard from @Adwilson, she hasn't posted since Monday. I hope she is okay.
    I haven't heard from her either. I sent her a PM a few days ago, and one yesterday, neither of which has she responded to. I wasn't surprised about the first - it wasn't something she needed to respond to - but I am surprised about the second.

I hope she's all right. Maybe she's just away for a few days with no internet access.

Sorry for being "away".
    I'm here... just tired and dealing with on-and-off head pressure. It won't develop into a headache, but won't go away either. Ugh.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your head pressure. Does lavender or peppermint help at all? Those smells can often help a headache, but I don't know if they'll help with pressure.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @creativemetaphor ;
    One computer crash later....

I would like you to let me know if you would like me to change anything. Additions, subtractions, deco, furnishings, CASting, anything.

All of the inside pictures were taken at night, because that's when I was finished with testing. I took the outside pictures after waiting for the sun to rise in the game. I kind of like the night lighting, with the lights that I used; gives it all a warm glow.
    Outside
    2libf3b.jpg
    10ok0bd.jpg
    24g6dfr.jpg
    29ld54k.jpg
    9u7qqb.jpg

Aboveground floor overviews
    wlay39.jpg
    2nq9x09.jpg
    2hz0fus.jpg
    1qr02p.jpg

Basement floor overviews
    3354ev7.jpg
    nffshu.jpg

First floor
    6ro8q1.jpg
    qri3b9.jpg
    29m7wah.jpg
    9jk2dv.jpg
    33o2pts.jpg
    sq2ydj.jpg
    6z3trp.jpg
    nx7ukk.jpg
    douvcp.jpg
    2vt8ieu.jpg
    1054qr8.jpg
    a1hfo6.jpg

Second floor
    10eoguh.jpg
    21m58uv.jpg
    2rpsjzp.jpg
    2a637fl.jpg
    jjuyas.jpg
    22dogo.jpg
    pa9mv.jpg
    23kfdc1.jpg
    1427d52.jpg
    dmveba.jpg
    iegv4n.jpg
    2qs9jz5.jpg

Third floor
    xo4ilx.jpg
    2hr0kcm.jpg
    2ro0sid.jpg
    2s9qao2.jpg
    raonqc.jpg
    2j4vafb.jpg
    33toxaf.jpg
    mb4k88.jpg
    25jcwfl.jpg

Updated third floor with the scribing tables.
    o6z6vt.jpg
    w6tdzd.jpg
    ad2tlh.jpg

Fourth floor
    2mdnsjr.jpg
    2wojbci.jpg
    2ebvlmu.jpg

Basement 1
    33vdguo.jpg
    2lny6v9.jpg
    fodgfb.jpg
    51txsw.jpg
    jkvkeg.jpg
    2zqf13m.jpg
    30lory8.jpg
    34taan8.jpg
    1zvdaoj.jpg
    r9jrdf.jpg
    19xe0m.jpg

Basement 2
    de5pwo.jpg
    122n67c.jpg
    ivzdl1.jpg
    9lk394.jpg

Various inside screenshots (The blue woman was a townie who apparently didn't leave after I changed the lot to No Visitors. She kind of has a ghostly look to her, even though I know she's just blue, so I thought it looked neat and took that picture.)
    2wcp7w5.jpg
    2i6dhmd.jpg
    r1x1qc.jpg
    fjeuio.jpg
    309myk7.jpg
    2j4yltw.jpg
    f0naew.jpg
    2rptni1.jpg
    14n01s3.jpg
    205th7d.jpg
    1gg5zr.jpg
    29bei6u.jpg