Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is a "base game feature"?

Comments

• Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    I don't exactly know how to define base game features for you, op. I can tell you though that when sims 4 was first released the core features of it were the emotions, multi tasking, and new CAS/build mode tools. Know what the studio now considers a core feature of get together ep? A closet.

'Get Together' is a huge joke! lol The fact that closets are being passed on as a 'core feature' only further proves this. It's actually quite sad.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited August 2015
    Keffers wrote: »
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    So The Sims original is not included for base game features?

Of course it is. Lets see, TS1 had pools..Fast forward 15 years and they suddenly become MIA in a base.

TS1 didn't have toddlers nor aging but at the time that game was awesome with the features it had. TS2 revolutionist it and brought it forward. And in many way so did 3. See in a series, each iteration should push the envelope, evolve if you will. Retaining popular and loved features while expanding and introducing new ones.

Not slashing and cutting out content.

So, The Sims only counts as a base game when it's arguing for features, but not as an argument for features being missing?

If you are arguing for regression instead of progression then Id entertain your thought.

Personally, I like progression.

I'm not arguing for regression. I'm arguing about how quickly "BASE GAME FEATURE" is thrown around.

Because that's the standard?

If they don't want to be beholden to a standard they themselves set, then by all means introduce this new vision for the game as a different game entirely, meaning not part of the long running series.

A standard that has change with every Sims game.

A standard that has changed but made better in many respects from the previous iteration.

Better being the key term here.

But that's not base game feature. You seem to think I'm arguing against features, I'm not. I'm arguing over the use of the term "Base game feature" which is loosely thrown around.

So let me ask you this, what is a base game feature to you?

I don't have a definition on it, which is why I asked, but was met with hostility and contradictions. I think toddlers should be including in a base game for the Sims, but you can't argue it's a base game feature when it hasn't appeared in 2 out of 4 of them.

You weren't met wit hostility, at least not from me. That perhaps is your perception.

As far and contradiction, Im sorry, were you expecting everyone to agree with you?

Agree with me on what point? That "base game feature" is a loose term that is throw around too much on these forums because that's all I'm against.

I guess standard feature is a "loose term" as well.

Something that has been present for over 10 years, and I'm going to keep saying that in hopes that you get it, over 10 years, can be called a base or standard feature with any line of product, not just video games. The 10 years of having it set the precedent.

• Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member

Of course it is. Lets see, TS1 had pools..Fast forward 15 years and they suddenly become MIA in a base.

TS1 didn't have toddlers nor aging but at the time that game was awesome with the features it had. TS2 revolutionist it and brought it forward. And in many way so did 3. See in a series, each iteration should push the envelope, evolve if you will. Retaining popular and loved features while expanding and introducing new ones.

Not slashing and cutting out content.

So, The Sims only counts as a base game when it's arguing for features, but not as an argument for features being missing?

If you are arguing for regression instead of progression then Id entertain your thought.

Personally, I like progression.

I'm not arguing for regression. I'm arguing about how quickly "BASE GAME FEATURE" is thrown around.

If they don't want to be beholden to a standard they themselves set, then by all means introduce this new vision for the game as a different game entirely, meaning not part of the long running series.

A standard that has change with every Sims game.

A standard that has changed but made better in many respects from the previous iteration.

Better being the key term here.

But that's not base game feature. You seem to think I'm arguing against features, I'm not. I'm arguing over the use of the term "Base game feature" which is loosely thrown around.

So let me ask you this, what is a base game feature to you?

I don't have a definition on it, which is why I asked, but was met with hostility and contradictions. I think toddlers should be including in a base game for the Sims, but you can't argue it's a base game feature when it hasn't appeared in 2 out of 4 of them.

You weren't met wit hostility, at least not from me. That perhaps is your perception.

As far and contradiction, Im sorry, were you expecting everyone to agree with you?

Agree with me on what point? That "base game feature" is a loose term that is throw around too much on these forums because that's all I'm against.

Yup, I agree with @Rflong7 here. You do not seem interested in others opinions, although you gave that impression with your OP. You are more interested in arguing and I have better things to do..

Good bye and umm good luck.

• Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    But what base game features have they made us pay for except for Hot Tubs?

part of the problem is that features are still missing, they are after nearly a year still not there & some of them never will, not even as a paid content

things missing are :
    open world (won't come back)
    story progression (spawning instead)
    CASt (won't come back)
    working traits (no idea what the devs want to do with that)
    & toddlers of course (the lately leaked survey suggests toddlers as paid EP)

to name just few main things

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member
    Questioning/challenging someones opinion is not "trying to argue" with them, I'm just trying to get a better understanding. From what people have suggested, the term "base game feature" should be replaced with "key or important features" but even then that's a bit loose.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I don't exactly know how to define base game features for you, op. I can tell you though that when sims 4 was first released the core features of it were the emotions, multi tasking, and new CAS/build mode tools. Know what the studio now considers a core feature of get together ep? A closet.

'Get Together' is a huge joke! lol The fact that closets are being passed on as a 'core feature' only further proves this. It's actually quite sad.
    It's not a huge joke, the information about the pack is just very hidden. They did a terrible job of explaining what it was all about. If you dig for info a bit you may come to find it's much cooler than you initially expected like I did.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    Anybody actually have a general definition of base game feature like op asked? Not a personal opinion. I honestly don't know a correct definition.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Questioning/challenging someones opinion is not "trying to argue" with them, I'm just trying to get a better understanding. From what people have suggested, the term "base game feature" should be replaced with "key or important features" but even then that's a bit loose.

No, because when a line of product comes with something for over a decade its then safe to call it a base or standard feature.

Seat belts weren't originally offered with cars but now its a standard feature.

You aren't challenging anything, you're just refusing to accept the plain and simple truth of the matter.

• Options
    Anybody actually have a general definition of base game feature like op asked? Not a personal opinion. I honestly don't know a correct definition.
    A base game feature is anything included in the base game. Anything else is just opinion or expectation.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Vlaxitov wrote: »

No, because when a line of product comes with something for over a decade its then safe to call it a base or standard feature.

You aren't challenging anything, you're just refusing to accept the plain and simple truth of the matter.

I'm not refusing anything. I haven't disagreed anything you've said or said it is wrong. I've merely challenged your opinion.
  • Options

I think that would have been a better topic for discussion/ tittle for the thread:

When does a feature become standard for base game?
  • Options
    KarmaKarma Posts: 837 Member
    Omg, this thread though!

Yass, catfight, yass!

r7GG8F.gif
    WsYdHZD.jpg

• Options
    Karma wrote: »
    Omg, this thread though!

Yass, catfight, yass!

r7GG8F.gif

I hope I'm the sexy blonde.
  • Options

I'm not refusing anything. I haven't disagreed anything you've said or said it is wrong. I've merely challenged your opinion.

You've only challenged my opinion in your mind.

Just about everyone else understands perfectly clear what I'm saying.

• Options

I think that would have been a better topic for discussion/ tittle for the thread:

When does a feature become standard for base game?

That is a better discussion. You should replace me.
  • Options

I understand what you're saying.
  • Options

Then what exactly are you "challenging" if you understand it?

What about what I've said about it do you disagree with and why.

• Options
    Lots of people throw around "The Sims 4 is missing key base game features" so I'm wondering, what justifies a base game feature? What is the definition?
    Being part of the base game in the series for I don't know.... TEN + YEARS.
    So toddlers aren't a base game feature?
    The Sims 2 is what, 11-12 years old?
    You said 10 + years, so 2000 (when The Sims was released) was 15 years ago, which falls into your "+ years" part.
    The sims 2 came out in 2004.
    The Sims 2 wasn't the first Sims game. I'm talking about the original Sims.

the original sims, the first iteration wasn't one at all
    it was a game of simulation of RL without any expectations for any future reiterations

the franchise as a whole started with TS2, after TS1 has surprised everybody with a tremendous fandom

therefore every new iteration has to look mainly to what TS2 offered because that is the first real iteration of TheSims
    TS1 was a test baloon in a test that went extremely well for the producing company

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,611 Member
    Sims, the Original WAS the base game feature. Every iteration was built from it. Vastly improved upon by Sims2 when they added toddlers, and the children could age. Until then baby was pinned to the bassinet (correct me if I'm wrong I never played that game) and the baby would jet out of it to become a child (much like Sims 4, now) and the child would remain a child — forever.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options

Because I want you to explain further, so I can gain more knowledge. I don't really disagree with anything you've said, but I still don't like the term base game feature.
  • Options
    @CrackFox
    CrackFox wrote: »
    A base game feature by most people's definition is something that has been introduced in previous basegames. What exactly should count as 'base' content a different matter entirely and is highly flawed by our conditioning. A base game should offer the simulation basics which should technically include seasons, pets and any/all content included in a Generations pack. That stuff should all be given to us in the base game but we are used to paying extra for it therefore we mostly don't even question how plummed up that is.

When you get over the fact that all the base games have been lacking the most basic features and sold to us separately at a later date, it's not too much to expect that at least everything we were offered in the base games previous, we are still offered this time round.

i like that very much :smile:

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2015
    If it were Up to me, Base Game Features would include Basic Weather like Snow and Rain and then basic Pets, and then we would expand on it. but that's just me.

Little Components that lean towards each expansion so each kind of player can have something. while they wait for it to be fleshed out.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options

Because I want you to explain further, so I can gain more knowledge. I don't really disagree with anything you've said, but I still don't like the term base game feature.

What else is there to explain?

Color television ten years later would you need an explanation as to why can't it still be shot in black & white?

I'm sorry because maybe you're not, but it really just seems like you're trolling at this point.

• Options
    @JoBass24us

touché!

bravo :smirk:

• Options

What else is there to explain?

Color television ten years later would you need an explanation as to why can't it still be shot in black & white?

I'm sorry because maybe you're not, but it really just seems like you're trolling at this point.

If I was trolling, surely I would use more gifs.