Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is a "base game feature"?

Comments

• Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »
    A base game item is something EA says is a base game item. Sadly, we have no control over it. We can argue as much as we want, bring arguments from previous iterations, but in the end, it's still whatever they say it is.

I believe that to be true unfortunately. And it won be change unless people stop supporting this sort of business model.

I just don't like less for more.
  • Options
    Keffers wrote: »
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    So The Sims original is not included for base game features?

Of course it is. Lets see, TS1 had pools..Fast forward 15 years and they suddenly become MIA in a base.

TS1 didn't have toddlers nor aging but at the time that game was awesome with the features it had. TS2 revolutionist it and brought it forward. And in many way so did 3. See in a series, each iteration should push the envelope, evolve if you will. Retaining popular and loved features while expanding and introducing new ones.

Not slashing and cutting out content.

So, The Sims only counts as a base game when it's arguing for features, but not as an argument for features being missing?

If you are arguing for regression instead of progression then Id entertain your thought.

Personally, I like progression.

I'm not arguing for regression. I'm arguing about how quickly "BASE GAME FEATURE" is thrown around.

Because that's the standard?

If they don't want to be beholden to a standard they themselves set, then by all means introduce this new vision for the game as a different game entirely, meaning not part of the long running series.

• Options
    KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member

Of course it is. Lets see, TS1 had pools..Fast forward 15 years and they suddenly become MIA in a base.

TS1 didn't have toddlers nor aging but at the time that game was awesome with the features it had. TS2 revolutionist it and brought it forward. And in many way so did 3. See in a series, each iteration should push the envelope, evolve if you will. Retaining popular and loved features while expanding and introducing new ones.

So, The Sims only counts as a base game when it's arguing for features, but not as an argument for features being missing?

If you are arguing for regression instead of progression then Id entertain your thought.

I'm not arguing for regression. I'm arguing about how quickly "BASE GAME FEATURE" is thrown around.

If they don't want to be beholden to a standard they themselves set, then by all means introduce this new vision for the game as a different game entirely, meaning not part of the long running series.

A standard that has change with every Sims game.
  • Options
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    Lots of people throw around "The Sims 4 is missing key base game features" so I'm wondering, what justifies a base game feature? What is the definition?

Being part of the base game in the series for I don't know.... TEN + YEARS.

So toddlers aren't a base game feature?

The Sims 2 is what, 11-12 years old?

You said 10 + years, so 2000 (when The Sims was released) was 15 years ago, which falls into your "+ years" part.

The sims 2 came out in 2004.

The Sims 2 wasn't the first Sims game. I'm talking about the original Sims.

And I said 10+ years, look man, you really have no argument even though its quite clear you will refuse to concede.

By your logic TS4 doesn't need to have diagonal object placement because that didn't come with TS1 either.

I wouldn't argue it's a base game feature.
  • Options

A standard that has changed but made better in many respects from the previous iteration.

Better being the key term here.
  • Options

A standard that has changed but made better in many respects from the previous iteration.

But that's not base game feature. You seem to think I'm arguing against features, I'm not. I'm arguing over the use of the term "Base game feature" which is loosely thrown around.
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited August 2015
    Lots of people throw around "The Sims 4 is missing key base game features" so I'm wondering, what justifies a base game feature? What is the definition?

You said 10 + years, so 2000 (when The Sims was released) was 15 years ago, which falls into your "+ years" part.

And I said 10+ years, look man, you really have no argument even though its quite clear you will refuse to concede.

By your logic TS4 doesn't need to have diagonal object placement because that didn't come with TS1 either.

No no no, they should remove diagonal object placement from TS4 because its not a base game feature since TS1 didn't have it.

Just like all television programs should still be shot only in black & white because color isn't an original feature that came with TV.

When a product offers something for over ten years IMHO its safe to call it a base feature.

• Options

But that's not base game feature. You seem to think I'm arguing against features, I'm not. I'm arguing over the use of the term "Base game feature" which is loosely thrown around.

So let me ask you this, what is a base game feature to you?

• Options
    Kaaori89Kaaori89 Posts: 70 Member
    Some of the replies here make me think that some people are happy throwing money at EA for the same expansions year after year after year :D Why after 3 generations of sims games are some features not just baseline already that everyone KNOWS will get released just blows my mind.
  • Options

No no no, they should remove diagonal object placement from TS4 because its not a base game feature since TS1 didn't have it.

Just like all television programs should still be shot only in black & white because color isn't an original feature that came with TV.

Once again, I'm not saying to remove it. I'm saying you can't argue stuff is a base game feature. You say that a base game feature must be in every sim game, but toddlers also a base game feature, when they haven't been in every sims base game.

• Options

Once again, I'm not saying to remove it. I'm saying you can't argue stuff is a base game feature. You say that a base game feature must be in every sim game, but toddlers also a base game feature, when they haven't been in every sims base game.

We know what you're saying, you're saying that EA is justified in leaving stuff out of the original game that has been there for over 10 years because 15 years ago it wasn't there. Its a laughable argument and no different than my black & white TV example.
  • Options

I don't have a definition on it, which is why I asked, but was met with hostility and contradictions. I think toddlers should be including in a base game for the Sims, but you can't argue it's a base game feature when it hasn't appeared in 2 out of 4 of them.
  • Options

You seem to be having an issue understanding progression. TS1 was the original, TS2 built on that game and made it better with many new features . Such has a complete 3d world and all the other advancements. TS3 again built upon TS2 and introduced new features. Such an open world.

See the key here is progression, maintaining the status quo and introducing new and exciting features.

• Options

We know what you're saying, you're saying that EA is justified in leaving stuff out of the original game that has been there for over 10 years because 15 years ago it wasn't there. Its a laughable argument and no different than my black & white TV example.

When did I say they were justified? When have I at any point said EA game model was amazing? Stop jumping to assumptions.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited August 2015
    Something major that was introduced in a previous base game that was either there since the beginning (The Sims) or adds an important gameplay experience. For example, toddlers. They have been in The Sims 2, Sims 3, but suddenly no longer in Sims 4. The same with pools. They were in the game since The Sims, but suddenly weren't in Sims 4 until a patch was released.

I do NOT believe things like Seasons, Pets, and University are technically 'base game' (since they were always in an expansion pack). I also don't really consider things like Zodiac Signs, Favorites, or Body Hair to be 'base game'. Nor do I think cars should really be either.

I realize that a lot of people are attacking Sims 4's base game for 'lacking' certain features at launch that even Sims 3 didn't have. I'm not one of them. I'm not even asking for too much... the only base game features I miss from previous games are toddlers, create a style, and open world... and heck, I can live without open world (though I do wish the neighborhoods were at least open). But still...
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options

I don't have a definition on it, which is why I asked, but was met with hostility and contradictions. I think toddlers should be including in a base game for the Sims, but you can't argue it's a base game feature when it hasn't appeared in 2 out of 4 of them.

You weren't met wit hostility, at least not from me. That perhaps is your perception.

As far and contradiction, Im sorry, were you expecting everyone to agree with you?
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    What is a "base game feature"?
    base game in a RL simulation is what enables a player to simulate RL

would TS4 be the first iteration, then what it delivers in it's base game would be the base game features for the next iteration
    since it is meantime the fourth after 15 years of constant simming so are the base game features of at least the previous iteration the basegame features, that means those which were included in TS3's base game

but people are quite reasonable & would be willing to make a trade off
    like eg removal of fears, memories & zodiac signs from TS2 but getting open world & CASt in TS3 in exchange

but i bet not many will be asking for TS4's emotions system included as a base game feature in the next iteration :joy:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options

You seem to be having an issue understanding progression. TS1 was the original, TS2 built on that game and made it better with many new features . Such has a complete 3d world and all the other advancements. TS3 again built upon TS2 and introduced new features. Such an open world.

See the key here is progression, maintaining the status quo and introducing new and exciting features.

I know what progression is. Games progress and regress all the time, welcome to the modern world of gaming.
  • Options

When did I say they were justified? When have I at any point said EA game model was amazing? Stop jumping to assumptions.

Why else are you questioning it? Why else would you argue with me that even though its something that has been in the game series for over 10 years that since it wasn't there 15 years ago how can you call it a base game feature? What exactly is the purpose of your thread?

• Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I don't exactly know how to define base game features for you, op. I can tell you though that when sims 4 was first released the core features of it were the emotions, multi tasking, and new CAS/build mode tools. Know what the studio now considers a core feature of get together ep? A closet.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    So, you don't want to know others opinions, just want to argue.

• Options

You weren't met wit hostility, at least not from me. That perhaps is your perception.

As far and contradiction, Im sorry, were you expecting everyone to agree with you?

Agree with me on what point? That "base game feature" is a loose term that is throw around too much on these forums because that's all I'm against.
  • Options

I know what progression is. Games progress and regress all the time, welcome to the modern world of gaming.

And the only reason its possible is because people accept as so.

Stop buying that plum and syphoning your money to them and they will take notice and make the changes necessary.

• Options
    Kaaori89Kaaori89 Posts: 70 Member
    > @jaxie086 said:
    > I don't exactly know how to define base game features for you, op. I can tell you though that when sims 4 was first released the core features of it were the emotions, multi tasking, and new CAS/build mode tools. Know what the studio now considers a core feature of get together ep? A closet.

lolol you actually made me almost spit my drink out when I read that last little bit