Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is a "base game feature"?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    plenilunes wrote: »
    Keffers wrote: »
    I could list some, but it seems like that would just be my opinion, because it seems everyone has different ideas to what should be base game. The ones that get mentioned the most, that are not really base features are, cars, CASt and open world. I see toddlers as a grey zone type of thing.

Yeah, those get thrown out a lot. Cars are definitely not base game. Shouldn't even be discussed and it will likely be added later. Like I said, CASt was in Sims 3 but it wasn't promised and it made the game laggy for a lot of people- I'm not crying that it's gone. Open world, I think people got used to in Sims 3 because it was nice to multitask with multiple sims. But there is a lot of system issues that come along with it. It also wasn't promised. There are a lot of people who still play Sims 2, who prefer it over 3 regardless of open world...
    Sims 4 just probably needs more to do on your lot to compensate.

You're right that it is a matter of opinion. But I do like to see logical reasons WHY, not just a point blank complaint.

But Car pools was always a base game feature as well as buses for school and certain jobs... that are also missing in Sims 4.

And cabs! don't forget the taxi since TS1! yay!
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I'm going to add limos are base game features since TS2. They aren't in this game, either. But in TS2 when your Sims got married if their party (sandbox) for wedding they were picked up and whisked away by a limo. That should still continue in my book.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    plenilunesplenilunes Posts: 296 Member
    They will be added later, like they were in Sims 2. Maybe not buses (I would like to see then back!). We'll see. But our gameplay is not literally hurting from the lack of them.
  • Options
    They will be added later, like they were in Sims 2. Maybe not buses (I would like to see then back!). We'll see. But our gameplay is not literally hurting from the lack of them.

Says you.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member
    Lol
    Sims 1 and 4 no toddlers, 3 life stages and babies tied to crib
  • Options
    plenilunesplenilunes Posts: 296 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Says you.

I mean that in a very very general sense
  • Options
    ttyoxoxttyoxox Posts: 79 Member
    I hope toddlers are never added so that all of the losers that keep on complaining will finally go away.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    n
    ttyoxox wrote: »
    I hope toddlers are never added so that all of the losers that keep on complaining will finally go away.

Thank you! I wish you Happy Simming. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited August 2015
    Keffers wrote: »
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    well looks like OP is trying to be a troll with that question well wathever

basegame features are things which are added in the game base over the series.

go look at others games, looks at assassins creed, fallout, whatever let's be pratical, show me how much games added something in the game base in a game from the serie to remove it later without being the case of "total fail" of the feature, none then that is when enter base game feature, are things being added to the serie which become part of the main game and are not "removed".

what again only sims is doing it and shove in players face.

about hottub in sims 3 why aways peoples keep forgetting which hottubes where added later in game for free?, you had hottubes for free in sims 3 aswell in the same way you get cars in sims 2 for free in later game.

come and say "they can just remove to sell it later in a pack or use it as a "hold hostage" is just agreeing which terrible market strategy.

As far as I remember, there was not actual free hot tubs, the coding was put into the base game because you could buy them from the store, but you still needed to pay to get one. Once again, as far as I remember.

np you have a free hottube from one holday achiev, then you still have a free hottube and if i'm not wrong they also give a free hottube in the store as one of they "free gifts" from holidays.

but the main point is which if you want to pay more for anything fine, but you don't see any other game even inside ea doing the same, point me on Dragon age when they removed something from the game from a previous version(which not was a total failure) to add later in a patch or "make peoples have to "pay" to have it, maybe in battle field??? if you can point me any other serious and top companie which did it then it's obvious something not "common" to happen and that is the point of "base game".
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    BrandiBugBrandiBug Posts: 1,313 Member
    To me personally, base game features are what the last game had at release, and then built on from there. So if there were like... 3 interactions with a baby in TS2, then 7 in TS3, and preferably 10+ with TS4. But alas, it's not like that.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    NPCs - Firefighters/Burglars/Social Workers/ Nannies or Babysitters/...

*This is Sims 4 not Sims- We're Starting Over
    Oh! Oh, look at that, will you! Perfect, @Rflong7, just perfect. :smiley:
  • Options
    Mati22Mati22 Posts: 88 Member
    Base game features are for me all the features that were once in base game plus one big feature (like open world). They all should be here since the beginning.
    BTW why are some people comparing The Sims (game released 15 years ago!) with brand new game? The Sims didn't have toddler only because of the fact it was the first game and technology was worse. By logic of some people, 3D camera is not 'base game feature' because it wasn't present in The Sims. If EA decided to remove 3D camera from, let's say, The Sims 5 would it be all right?
    RIP The Sims 2000-2015 :'(
  • Options
    Mati22 wrote: »
    Base game features are for me all the features that were once in base game plus one big feature (like open world). They all should be here since the beginning.
    BTW why are some people comparing The Sims (game released 15 years ago!) with brand new game? The Sims didn't have toddler only because of the fact it was the first game and technology was worse. By logic of some people, 3D camera is not 'base game feature' because it wasn't present in The Sims. If EA decided to remove 3D camera from, let's say, The Sims 5 would it be all right?
    men i'm feared with sims 5 you gonna get just the main screen then need to buy the cas, buy the lot, buy the hood, buy the world, buy each hair, because peoples don't care and are fine with a game being stripped and dumbed down.

• Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    A base game feature is a feature that is there since launch, whether it be The Sims 1, 2, 3, or 4. It does not come from an expansion pack or patch.

In the series, if a base game feature is included, it will then be in the next base game, so each base expands on the previous. For example, toddlers were a base game feature from The Sims 2. So, they were also in The Sims 3. They were not included in 4, however, which is why people are/were complaining.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The term "base game feature" is pretty subjective, a more appropriate term would be standard feature. That entitles a feature that is generally regarded as a huge innovation or addition that you would expect to be continued in some form in future installments.

I see toddlers as a standard feature, they were introduced 10 years ago and I expected them to be included in The Sims 4. I consider all of the age groups a standard feature, even YA simply because it was added to the lifespan in The Sims 3. When it comes down to it there is a reason we have all of the ages we do, and that's because EA/Maxis has deemed them as content that is standard to the game. Had this game not been rushed to store shelves we probably would have toddlers.

I honestly thought that the customization features of The Sims 3 would be carried forward and improved upon, same with the open world. However neither one of those features made it into the game, that doesn't change the fact that they were a significant addition to the franchise, and it's clear that many other people felt the same way. When The Sims 5 releases I won't be surprised if they include CASt in some form, and maybe even a better designed open world. Like I said earlier, The Sims 4 was a rushed game, I'm sure if they had the full development time to develop the game as offline we would have a totally different game than we do now.

Things like dishwashers and hot tubs are more or less just content. There's no reason why those things couldn't be included in every base game, but they aren't a major selling point like a feature would be. I will say that dishwashers should come in a base game, as they represent some basic content that every game has had, that really isn't too complex to implement compared to other content.

Drivable cars really aren't a standard feature to me, as they can be added in an expansion pack. However, taxi's, carpools, and school buses ARE basic content. This is the only base game that has not included a transportation system, and instead uses teleportation for sims to get from point A to point B. So the likelihood of us getting "drivable cars" isn't very good when the game itself doesn't support non-drivable cars. It's all fake deco and is very unlikely to change.
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    The term "base game feature" is pretty subjective, a more appropriate term would be standard feature. That entitles a feature that is generally regarded as a huge innovation or addition that you would expect to be continued in some form in future installments.

I see toddlers as a standard feature, they were introduced 10 years ago and I expected them to be included in The Sims 4. I consider all of the age groups a standard feature, even YA simply because it was added to the lifespan in The Sims 3. When it comes down to it there is a reason we have all of the ages we do, and that's because EA/Maxis has deemed them as content that is standard to the game. Had this game not been rushed to store shelves we probably would have toddlers.

I honestly thought that the customization features of The Sims 3 would be carried forward and improved upon, same with the open world. However neither one of those features made it into the game, that doesn't change the fact that they were a significant addition to the franchise, and it's clear that many other people felt the same way. When The Sims 5 releases I won't be surprised if they include CASt in some form, and maybe even a better designed open world. Like I said earlier, The Sims 4 was a rushed game, I'm sure if they had the full development time to develop the game as offline we would have a totally different game than we do now.

Things like dishwashers and hot tubs are more or less just content. There's no reason why those things couldn't be included in every base game, but they aren't a major selling point like a feature would be. I will say that dishwashers should come in a base game, as they represent some basic content that every game has had, that really isn't too complex to implement compared to other content.

Drivable cars really aren't a standard feature to me, as they can be added in an expansion pack. However, taxi's, carpools, and school buses ARE basic content. This is the only base game that has not included a transportation system, and instead uses teleportation for sims to get from point A to point B. So the likelihood of us getting "drivable cars" isn't very good when the game itself doesn't support non-drivable cars. It's all fake deco and is very unlikely to change.

If "Standard Feature" is a more palatable phrase, then I'm fine with it because at this point is becomes a matter of semantics. I agree with pretty much all you said but I've always used "Base Game Feature" when it come to the Sims because Standard Features can be used interchangeably with the base or an expansion pack.
    Maybe Im viewing it wrong but to me, pets are not a base game feature but are a standard feature in a pets expansion.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JoBass24us wrote: »

If "Standard Feature" is a more palatable phrase, then I'm fine with it because at this point is becomes a matter of semantics. I agree with pretty much all you said but I've always used "Base Game Feature" when it come to the Sims because Standard Features can be used interchangeably with the base or an expansion pack.
    Maybe Im viewing it wrong but to me, pets are not a base game feature but are a standard feature in a pets expansion.

I agree. Each pack has it's own "standard feature" an example would be weather in seasons, and pets in a pets EP. I was using standard as a broader term speaking toward the franchise as a whole and not really individual base games. So while The Sims 2 had aliens, that technically was a base game feature for The Sims 2, but not a standard feature across the board for all sims base games that came after it. They, for the most part, are pretty interchangeable though.

Probably the best example I could give are toddlers. While they weren't in the original Sims (along with every other age besides baby, child, and adult) they were introduced in The Sims 2, included in The Sims 3, and originally confirmed for The Sims 4. After 10 years of that specific feature being a part of the game I consider it standard, which does mean base game content.
  • Options

I agree. Each pack has it's own "standard feature" an example would be weather in seasons, and pets in a pets EP. I was using standard as a broader term speaking toward the franchise as a whole and not really individual base games. So while The Sims 2 had aliens, that technically was a base game feature for The Sims 2, but not a standard feature across the board for all sims base games that came after it. They, for the most part, are pretty interchangeable though.

I absolutely see your point here. That's why I do prefer Base game Feature when we are addressing a base game within the sims series.

• Options
    edited August 2015

I absolutely see your point here. That's why I do prefer Base game Feature when we are addressing a base game within the sims series.

Alright, I 100% agree. Hopefully my blurbs aren't super confusing, I see the term base game content thrown around willy nilly on these boards. Especially when a specific feature was iffy on being standard/base content (ie. Hot tubs, and drivable cars). I think a lot of players expect a certain level of content to be included at the base level, even when that content wasn't always introduced when a base game launched.
  • Options

Alright, I 100% agree. Hopefully my blurbs aren't super confusing, I see the term base game content thrown around willy nilly on these boards. Especially when a specific feature was iffy on being standard/base content (ie. Hot tubs, and drivable cars). I think a lot of players expect a certain level of content to be included at the base level, even when that content wasn't always introduced when a base game launched.

Not at all ;)

I actually enjoy discussing these types of things here with people, like yourself, that can be objective and not just arguing or disagreeing for the sake of doing so.

• Options

Not at all ;)

I actually enjoy discussing these types of things here with people, like yourself, that can be objective and not just arguing or disagreeing for the sake of doing so.

Absolutely!

There is a lot of animosity here, not because people are hateful here, but because the game is uneven in what it offers. To some players the game offers a rich experience, and to others it doesn't quite offer what the past 2 games did. I'm all for discussions for both directions, but the negativity and trolling (from both players who like the game, and those who don't) makes constructive conversation a difficult thing to accomplish.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    edited August 2015
    - toddlers
    - Correct teen height
    - Random deaths
    - interactions that have consequences to surrounding sims I.e cheating, fights, woohoo, death
    - Non linear gameplay
    - Sandbox
    - Babies that are not solely objects
    - Burglars, firefireghters, gardeners, paper boy/girl
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    i gona point in a better perspective, instead of "base game feature or standard feature

what means a "sequel"?? that is the better to answer if you know the means of a sequel in game then we don't need to "dwel too much in base game features.

sims 4 no matter how peoples say "is a new game" was released as a serie sequel, this is not a reboot neither a spin off, this is a sequel that is why we have the number 4 on it, then with that mind game series sequel they "normally carry" over previous games features in the new statment in his base only when a feature was really bad and by bad i means poor sales and reception" is when they remove it and make clear the reason why they did it.

them sims 4 removing things to add later in patch for free or priced is not what "sequels are made".

them instead of ask "what is a base game feature" ask what is a game sequel.

being a sequel is mandatory keep things from previous game and improve and create new things.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    So... these discussions are still going?
    (Just started playing again after a looong hiatus).

A base game feature is a feature that is in the base game. Period.

Now, people argue that a base game feature is what they WANT to be in the base game, but that is false. Period.
    That's called entitlement.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member

Not at all ;)

Absolutely!

There is a lot of animosity here, not because people are hateful here, but because the game is uneven in what it offers. To some players the game offers a rich experience, and to others it doesn't quite offer what the past 2 games did. I'm all for discussions for both directions, but the negativity and trolling (from both players who like the game, and those who don't) makes constructive conversation a difficult thing to accomplish.

I've enjoyed reading both your discussions on this subject. You've raised points I was trying to make.