Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is a "base game feature"?

Lots of people throw around "The Sims 4 is missing key base game features" so I'm wondering, what justifies a base game feature? What is the definition?

Comments

• Options
    Kaaori89Kaaori89 Posts: 70 Member
    For me personally...I always assume base game features are features that have been in the game for every generation. For example, I believe pools have been in the sims games from gen 1 all the way up until the sims 3. The sims 4 had zero pool options when the game released, and was later patched in.
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    For me? Features, items and gameplay that was and has been part of the base game since the beginning.

A base game feature for the Sims would be, at its most simplistic definition, dishwashers. This is an item that has been in the game from the day of release.

A feature would be, Toddlers. While they were not present in TS1 they have been part of the base game since TS2.

If you look back you will notice how progressively base game items and such have been left out, eventually sold back to us via some sort of pack.

This is something that started happening with TS3, hot tubs anyone? And it progressively got worse and now we have TS4. A game that in the history of the series is by far the most slashed.
  • Options
    KeffersKeffers Posts: 984 Member
    But what base game features have they made us pay for except for Hot Tubs?
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Base game features are features that came in the base game. Everything else is just expectation at that point.
  • Options
    Kaaori89Kaaori89 Posts: 70 Member
    I was going to mention toddlers but I couldn't remember if we always had them or if they came with the "generations" packs
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited August 2015
    Keffers wrote: »
    Lots of people throw around "The Sims 4 is missing key base game features" so I'm wondering, what justifies a base game feature? What is the definition?

Being part of the base game in the series for I don't know.... TEN + YEARS?

Toilets for example are part of the sims base game, just like pellets are part of pac man's base game.

The standard is usually set by the first release.

• Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Kaaori89 wrote: »
    I was going to mention toddlers but I couldn't remember if we always had them or if they came with the "generations" packs

I don't believe we had toddlers in the sims 1.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Kaaori89 wrote: »

Toddlers came in the base game of both the Sims 2 *and* the Sims 3. They weren't an add-on.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Vlaxitov wrote: »

Being part of the base game in the series for I don't know.... TEN + YEARS.

So toddlers aren't a base game feature?
  • Options

Yes, they are since TS2 which was released in 2004 I believe. So for more then 10 years toddlers have been part of the base.
  • Options
    So The Sims original is not included for base game features?
  • Options

The Sims 2 is what, 11-12 years old?

You said 10 + years, so 2000 (when The Sims was released) was 15 years ago, which falls into your "+ years" part.
  • Options

Of course it is. Lets see, TS1 had pools..Fast forward 15 years and they suddenly become MIA in a base.

TS1 didn't have toddlers nor aging but at the time that game was awesome with the features it had. TS2 revolutionist it and brought it forward. And in many way so did 3. See in a series, each iteration should push the envelope, evolve if you will. Retaining popular and loved features while expanding and introducing new ones.

Not slashing and cutting out content.

• Options
    NewcrestSimmerNewcrestSimmer Posts: 124 Member
    As much as I love toddlers, I don't count them as a base game feature because they've only been in 2 out of 4 of the Sims base games. :)
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited August 2015

You said 10 + years, so 2000 (when The Sims was released) was 15 years ago, which falls into your "+ years" part.

The sims 2 came out in 2004, that's 10+ years right?

• Options
    KayleiMarieKayleiMarie Posts: 68 Member
    I'd say toddlers should be part of the base game purely because we were told they would be.
    Origin: KayleiMarie
    Twitter: @kayleimarie
    I'm pretty much just KayleiMarie
  • Options
    JoBass24us wrote: »

Of course it is. Lets see, TS1 had pools..Fast forward 15 years and they suddenly become MIA in a base.

TS1 didn't have toddlers nor aging but at the time that game was awesome with the features it had. TS2 revolutionist it and brought it forward. And in many way so did 3. See in a series, each iteration should push the envelope, evolve if you will. Retaining popular and loved features while expanding and introducing new ones.

So, The Sims only counts as a base game when it's arguing for features, but not as an argument for features being missing?
  • Options
    wistfoolwistfool Posts: 74 Member
    For me, a base game feature should be whatever the last instalment of the series had in its base game, when patched to the last patch. I have annoyingly high expectations, that way. So in addition to the lack of an open world, I was very disconcerted by the fact that there were no spiral staircases or ladders, and that my sims couldn't go to any beaches and swim there.
  • Options

The sims 2 came out in 2004.

The Sims 2 wasn't the first Sims game. I'm talking about the original Sims.
  • Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    A base game item is something EA says is a base game item. Sadly, we have no control over it. We can argue as much as we want, bring arguments from previous iterations, but in the end, it's still whatever they say it is.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options

So, The Sims only counts as a base game when it's arguing for features, but not as an argument for features being missing?

If you are arguing for regression instead of progression then Id entertain your thought.

Personally, I like progression.

• Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    A base game feature by most people's definition is something that has been introduced in previous basegames. What exactly should count as 'base' content a different matter entirely and is highly flawed by our conditioning. A base game should offer the simulation basics which should technically include seasons, pets and any/all content included in a Generations pack. That stuff should all be given to us in the base game but we are used to paying extra for it therefore we mostly don't even question how plummed up that is.

When you get over the fact that all the base games have been lacking the most basic features and sold to us separately at a later date, it's not too much to expect that at least everything we were offered in the base games previous, we are still offered this time round.
  • Options

If you are arguing for regression instead of progression then Id entertain your thought.

Personally, I like progression.

I'm not arguing for regression. I'm arguing about how quickly "BASE GAME FEATURE" is thrown around.