Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SDX (New Delivery March 24) Tattoos And More

Comments

• Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    It's also an open door for the Store's return.

SDX could handle paid content.

Having the store back on top of the kits would be overkill, so I sure hope not.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    It's also an open door for the Store's return.

SDX could handle paid content.

Having the store back on top of the kits would be overkill, so I sure hope not.

Ya I agree
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    In time most will see if this will work and how it will work good or bad.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I think SDX would need an upgrade to get a Sims 4 store going, but I was already hesitant about it because of the DRM potential. It just seems like too many thumbs in the pie to be good.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I think SDX would need an upgrade to get a Sims 4 store going, but I was already hesitant about it because of the DRM potential. It just seems like too many thumbs in the pie to be good.

What is drm?
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    Calico45 wrote: »

What is drm?

Like what @LeGardePourpre said, digital rights management. Basically a security measure to control what you have in your game. I don't think it would be an anti cheat, but it would shock me if it is antipiracy like Denuvo.

Anyway, it has the potential to require a lot of security access and mess with your computer performance worst case scenario, so I hope it is opt out until it dissected and we know what we are working with.
  • Options
    JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    edited October 2021
    Hmm, big brother is always watching, haha.
    SDX - mini patch that they don't want us to freak out about when it happens - more an internal thing, but cause for modder concern
    Got it.

@LeGardePourpre & @Calico45 thx for DRM specs

@SnaveXs don't get me started on item filters, lmao; one of the reasons i won't buy kits
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited October 2021
    @Omri147

Next level : Store and $1 content

Keep in mind console players don't have CC.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think it makes sense. This is going to be in addition to the regular content updates and patch fixes. It sounds like it's a sort of bypass system to easily plunk something simple into the game, like when they create a new ethnic hair style or build pieces that don't need a pack to belong to.

In the live stream, they talked about continuously working to put more representation in the game so that all simmers can create themselves, and the devs are always doing more research to create more assets for that goal. They don't want these kinds of cultural items to be locked behind the paywall of a pack or kit but they also don't want to have to wait until a major patch is scheduled, they want players to have access asap so they're offering a way to do that. This is also why they are choosing to transfer specific CAS items from previous packs to the base game. It's about offering proper representation on the base game level for everyone.

That's the gist I got from the live stream anyway.

Yeah I guess so. I mean a lot of people say they should just make new hairs but didn't they just release 3 black hairs last month or so? And I think they are available for toddlers too. Idk what hairs came with that toddler pack but idk ig it doesn't matter to me because it's not like they haven't released new hairs for base game recently.

I think it has become more and more of a priority as they hear from the community. They want to be diverse and inclusive, but then if you have to buy a certain pack to get certain types of hair styles to represent your race, it seems kind of sleazy. I feel like they have backed themselves into a corner ever since they strayed from Sims being fictional beings and players being "God", to Sims becoming you, the player. They've made it more personal which means they have to tread carefully with everything they do but it also means doing some pandering whenever there's an outcry.

My question regarding "diversity" is, where do you draw the lines? How is it determined what should be paid for and what should be in base game? There are a lot of cultures out there, including many white ones, so how can you stay "inclusive" by painting all white cultures with the same brush? Does Finland have proper skin tones and hair styles in the game? Does Ireland and Scotland have enough red hair tones and thick curls? Does Russia have enough CAS fashions to feel represented? We got an immense skin tone update (which was great) but somehow it left out a whole variety of pale tones. It was weird because if you're going to do an entire overhaul to balance, then make sure it's balanced the first time. I remember there were simmers from a variety of countries weighing in on that and it just made the update seem careless and disrespectful to non-American white cultures. It's kind of turned into a spit-show. 😖

Sorry for going off topic a little, I guess I'm just wondering if this new download feature is a way to just throw in a new item or swatch every time someone says they're not represented.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I think it makes sense. This is going to be in addition to the regular content updates and patch fixes. It sounds like it's a sort of bypass system to easily plunk something simple into the game, like when they create a new ethnic hair style or build pieces that don't need a pack to belong to.

In the live stream, they talked about continuously working to put more representation in the game so that all simmers can create themselves, and the devs are always doing more research to create more assets for that goal. They don't want these kinds of cultural items to be locked behind the paywall of a pack or kit but they also don't want to have to wait until a major patch is scheduled, they want players to have access asap so they're offering a way to do that. This is also why they are choosing to transfer specific CAS items from previous packs to the base game. It's about offering proper representation on the base game level for everyone.

Yeah I guess so. I mean a lot of people say they should just make new hairs but didn't they just release 3 black hairs last month or so? And I think they are available for toddlers too. Idk what hairs came with that toddler pack but idk ig it doesn't matter to me because it's not like they haven't released new hairs for base game recently.

I think it has become more and more of a priority as they hear from the community. They want to be diverse and inclusive, but then if you have to buy a certain pack to get certain types of hair styles to represent your race, it seems kind of sleazy. I feel like they have backed themselves into a corner ever since they strayed from Sims being fictional beings and players being "God", to Sims becoming you, the player. They've made it more personal which means they have to tread carefully with everything they do but it also means doing some pandering whenever there's an outcry.
    You know, that thought did cross my mind recently. The Sims did move away from 'these quirky virtual people' and the topic of representation took center stage. There's nothing wrong with it of course, though I do miss the original theme of the game and hope they can co-exist.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    edited October 2021
    haneul wrote: »
    I think it's more about releasing content more frequently instead of waiting to patch it in and then less people being upset abt broken mods and stuff.

I think more people will be upset about broken mods if random updates appear at random times instead of once a month... It can potentially cause a lot of issues with mods. I'm not understanding why they decided to do this.

That is exactly what I am worried about. What if it messes up mods. Updating them once a month is more than enough.
    Because it's not a patch, it doesn't change any code

For new cas items this is probably true but SDX is supposed to add small fixes as well. How can they fix something without changing the code or at least a small part of it?
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

You know, that thought did cross my mind recently. The Sims did move away from 'these quirky virtual people' and the topic of representation took center stage. There's nothing wrong with it of course, though I do miss the original theme of the game and hope they can co-exist.

This so much! Now that the game is so personal, someone can always get offended by something... Therefore, everything that was fun has been removed or not added at all.

Imho, it was the worst thing they've done to this game. A game is a game. Fantasy is fantasy. That's the fun of playing games. We're not playing ourselves, we're playing a character. It is not real life and a game should not try to incentivate players to think they're representing themselves...
  • Options

I agree and I feel they are doing it willy nilly with the formula that made the Sims series great.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    I think it's more about releasing content more frequently instead of waiting to patch it in and then less people being upset abt broken mods and stuff.

I think more people will be upset about broken mods if random updates appear at random times instead of once a month... It can potentially cause a lot of issues with mods. I'm not understanding why they decided to do this.

That is exactly what I am worried about. What if it messes up mods. Updating them once a month is more than enough.
    Because it's not a patch, it doesn't change any code

For new cas items this is probably true but SDX is supposed to add small fixes as well. How can they fix something without changing the code or at least a small part of it?

It may not be an major patch, it more of an minor patch and yes even an minor patch can change coding.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member

"Quirky" and "diverse" seem to go together rather well to my mind... generally, the less conformist, the more fun

• Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I really like this idea, stuff being added in and the tiny little fixes instead of waiting for a full patch. I am all for SDX. :)
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited October 2021
    I like this a lot! I just hope that it really is that seamless.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
  • Options
    Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    Knowing EA it'll probably be a subscription service
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I am interested to see how this comes about in the game, but like everyone else I hope it does not break anything.
    I also had to watch the stream more then once cause the first time I got distracted with watching Chat as so many in there was so rude and mean to other's, I could not believe what I was seeing, and the fact that ( The Sims) does not have any Mod's? makes no sense to me, the EA company make ton's of money so they can afford to pay Mod's to take care of their stream's I would think, not happy that they teased Us with new spooky stuff, only to show nothing new except (SDX), & no I do not call that Toddler hair new as I already had it with the pack I paid for.
  • Options
    SimmerJillerskiSimmerJillerski Posts: 56 Member
    As soon as I heard this in the livestream, I immediately thought, Sims 4 Store is coming.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited November 2021
    From the patch notes:
    A note for Console players, make sure you have linked your account to EA through the game so that you can be ready to receive Sims Deliveries when they are available

I've kept from linking my EA account so far because I have no use for it (and generally just prefer to keep things seperate).

I don't mind that this means missing out on small CAS or BB assets, but SDX will also include small bug fixes.

Edit:
    Now I'm just confused, sorry! :lol: (I haven't had my after-dinner coffee).
    Every Sims Delivery either previously downloaded or not by a player, will be included in a future game update (except limited content that may be completed before a patch update).

Does this mean that anything added via SDX will be added to the game via the usual updates at a later date anyway? So no need to link my EA account if I don't want to?