Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blatant racism vs Covert Racism that sadly and upsetting seems to exist in the sims

Comments

• Options
    Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    edited August 2020

...I was busy writing out a response to you since you seem to have grossly misunderstood my stance, then I saw this. This, combined with everything from you I saw that got deleted, is making me doubt I should respond at all. How honestly appalling, that I might hate myself because I disagree with you.

The ignore feature works wonders. Will save you many headaches.
    It sure does!!!! I’ve certainly made good use of it to block the racists and sad racism apologists. Oh yeah! And people who have mocked black players who want more from EA 🤣 👍🏽
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    @Scobre wrote: »
    @Sim_Architects @Scobre No I'm not talking about it breaking your game. I'm talking about breaking the game like the code.
    A game like the Sims is coded in a way that sometimes going back to change something can break all the rest. It's like a tower of cards. Once the foundation is done and you start building over it, you can't go back and change or the whole tower will fall apart. At least that's my guess with the little knowledge of coding I have
    I mean they did with the gender update too had to go back. Every patch and pack is going to break the game. That is why playtesters exist. I don't think it should prevent games from being made. Sims 4 is a live service like a MMO so things are going to break. I have no issues with bugs since I playtest and report them anyways. Even at work things break on me with the computers. It happens.

Sure, but adding a colourwheel is a whole different kind of animal. They will basically need to re-design the whole CAS user experience and interface. A lot of thought needs to go into where and how a colourwheel will be added ( skin, hair, clothing, or only skin?), how the player will utilize it and whether or not the CW is going to replace all the swatches or add to the existing presets.

Also, if it’s going to be inspired by Create a Pet’s UI / UX- which I feel is the most useful design- the challenges become even greater since the CAS tool we currently have is pretty established. Players will need to learn how to use a new tool in a new interface. It’s impossible to work exactly like Create a Pet, since there are many more layer menus on a sim than on a pet, so compared to something like this, the gender update was rather minimal.

It’s very possible though, however, depending on how many more years this iteration is going to last, I’m not sure if the team wants to use all their resources on re-designing CAS for TS4, or keep it in mind for the next title and instead just add swatches and work on other updates and DLC.

It’s inevitable that a substantial amount of stuff will break after a huge UI update like that.
    Adding swatches is tough work too and connects to UI. We have had many swatches not colored the right color or the swatch itself is the wrong color. It takes a lot of artwork and UI work to implement. I have made my own colors for hairs myself and the amount of testing for each swatch is a lot more work than people realize. I have had my own swatches break with patches. But it is nice Paralives has it.

Well, what a perfect opportunity to offer you your own advice. You can always go and play with the future of paralives. And as you suggested, I'll go play animal crossing.

Fair enough then, it's all settled.
    I am a variety gamer, so I do play other games. But nice suggesting other games with Simmers too and glad you will enjoy it. Stardew Valley, Littlewood, Ooblets, Farm Together, Fall Guys, and Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster are quite popular with the Sims Twitch community too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Honestly, I highly doubt they will implement a colorwheel even tho that would be the best thing. But, it's a lot easier to take the existing swatches and tweak them with hue/saturation, brightness/contrast, and a blurr brush to fix the pixelated splotches.

I hope they do much better than just adjusting the existing swatches and adding more but we are talking about EA here.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    Ummmm yea... ok so i'm really not touching any of that lol.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    mannanna wrote: »
    All I can say about SimGuruKate's twitter post is wow. I do know Sims is an American game and reflects on USA more than any other country, but to say it is bad white people weren't aware? Is she talking about her fellow Americans or all people that play Sims? My game is pretty diverse because of all the Sims the game itself creates but when I create a sim I create a white sim because that is how I and my world looks like...and now that's wrong because if I had been more inclusive I would have known about the other bad color swatches. No, it's not problematic, what's problematic is that it took so long for the developers to change it and too many Americans forget there are other places in the world outside of US.

I'm frankly getting tired of my race being put on a pedastal and white people being shamed for it, especially for something as minor as skintones in a videogame. I find her post quite annoying. Besides, as the above points out, Kate's being rather hypocritical.

EDIT: Assuming she didn't know in the past either.

I hate that this all encourages a racial divide.... like its an "us vs them" kind of thing.

IMO, EA/Maxis walked themselves into a difficult position to get back out of. I hope they don't think this will all go away soon because they are updating CAS with new color swatches. There will likely be more demands of equality rising up. They allowed the door to be opened, its too late to shut the door again now.

I wonder if they regret yet not adding the color wheel to TS4. If they gave us at least the same options for creating sims as they did for creating pets... the lack of skin tones wouldn't be an issue.

That's exactly what this encourages. Already Kate has attempted to shame white Simmers for supposedly not watching enough colored creators. Representation is an impractical goal to strive for in your game that must include not only gameplay content that would satisfy at least most Simmers, but content that would represent potentially all people in the world. For the developers, that has to be incredibly difficult.

Now of course, if it was actually possible to achieve this, pffft. Go for it, I say. Personally, I would love to play a blind/deaf/physically disabled Sim as I think that could entail some very interesting story-telling. But I completely understand if that's hard at the moment from a developmental point of view since there would be much in the way of coding, animating, etc to be done just to achieve even one of those.

...Heh. This brings to mind that unusual "Play With Life" video The Sims YouTube channel released almost a year ago where they attempted to elevate the game into more than what it really was.

This term can be considered offensive. I'd advise you to research it if you're interested.

@AHolyToilet is black I think they can say whatever they want @simgirl1010

I know. So am I.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited August 2020
    All I can say about SimGuruKate's twitter post is wow. I do know Sims is an American game and reflects on USA more than any other country, but to say it is bad white people weren't aware? Is she talking about her fellow Americans or all people that play Sims? My game is pretty diverse because of all the Sims the game itself creates but when I create a sim I create a white sim because that is how I and my world looks like...and now that's wrong because if I had been more inclusive I would have known about the other bad color swatches. No, it's not problematic, what's problematic is that it took so long for the developers to change it and too many Americans forget there are other places in the world outside of US.

I'm frankly getting tired of my race being put on a pedastal and white people being shamed for it, especially for something as minor as skintones in a videogame. I find her post quite annoying. Besides, as the above points out, Kate's being rather hypocritical.

I hate that this all encourages a racial divide.... like its an "us vs them" kind of thing.

IMO, EA/Maxis walked themselves into a difficult position to get back out of. I hope they don't think this will all go away soon because they are updating CAS with new color swatches. There will likely be more demands of equality rising up. They allowed the door to be opened, its too late to shut the door again now.

I wonder if they regret yet not adding the color wheel to TS4. If they gave us at least the same options for creating sims as they did for creating pets... the lack of skin tones wouldn't be an issue.

That's exactly what this encourages. Already Kate has attempted to shame white Simmers for supposedly not watching enough colored creators. Representation is an impractical goal to strive for in your game that must include not only gameplay content that would satisfy at least most Simmers, but content that would represent potentially all people in the world. For the developers, that has to be incredibly difficult.

Now of course, if it was actually possible to achieve this, pffft. Go for it, I say. Personally, I would love to play a blind/deaf/physically disabled Sim as I think that could entail some very interesting story-telling. But I completely understand if that's hard at the moment from a developmental point of view since there would be much in the way of coding, animating, etc to be done just to achieve even one of those.

...Heh. This brings to mind that unusual "Play With Life" video The Sims YouTube channel released almost a year ago where they attempted to elevate the game into more than what it really was.

This term can be considered offensive. I'd advise you to research it if you're interested.

I know. So am I.

I thought so @simgirl1010 I think it was a little rude of you to tell him to go look
    things up sorry if I offended you I really do think your a nice person
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    Well then everyone is at least a little racist because I bet with all of you, you all have accidentally exluded or overlooked at least one race, sexual orientation etc. in your game. So nobody is innocent.
    Also exlusion is not nessecarily always based on the belief that one is inferior. Like you said sometimes it's accidental because we tend to create sims that feel familiar to us.

For my MerMan sim, the game used “her,” and last time I checked, merfolk aren’t gender exclusive. As a member of a merfolk community in real-life, I’m very aware of the gender disproportion.

What does this mean?

It means that there are people who actively free dive with mertails, and there is a community of thousands that are involved. Things along the line of what I see commented on this thread can be found in the mercommunity.

I mentioned the gender elements because it's the best way I know how to relate to this thread. I imagine the general points are similar. There are small details that matter when it comes to representation, and the fact that the game is built to facilitate that representation while still making those small, but important, errors is an issue.

If I can without getting into trouble, I would be more than happy to share multiple links to my public profile page as well as links to existing forums where mermaiding hobbyists interact.

People that swim in mertails can be found worldwide. While less common, there are lots of mermen (gay, straight, trans, black, white, and etc.). Gender and ethnic representation are common topics that get discussed.
  • Options
    Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    As for the game itself, I said that my favorite world to play in is Sulani. Sulani has a large black and Asian population that is commonly seen in the world. It's also part of the expansion pack that includes the mer (occult) life state. In my experience playing in Sulani, there are more opportunities to interact with people from different ethnic backgrounds than I would normally have in real life. Sulani includes a lesbian biracial couple and a variety of ethnic groups. I can appreciate the diversity because it hasn't been what I normally experience in real life. While I don't mind interacting with people that are different than me, I don't always feel included.

More often than not, I notice such a strong push for something that I start to feel excluded. The merfolk are the only example I can think of to convey my thoughts. I have nothing against individuals that prefer "Them/They" as a pronoun or individuals that prefer the word "mermaid." However, I do not use "Them/They" or prefer the word "mermaid." I certainly don't want my male sim to be described as "her" if that wasn't intended. The game has features built into CAS that let you customize the gender, but it won't use the correct language associated with the declared gender.

In much the same way, I often find myself in a position where I'm always wrong about an ethnic group. I have thoughts and ideas that need to be corrected and after I try to change, I still somehow get it wrong. A big part of me wants to understand another group. I want to be respectful of other people's beliefs and make every effort to use the right words and truly appreciate diversity. I don't want to white wash an ethnicity away. In the game, my sim had mixed twins. The father was white while the mother was Asian. The game didn't seem to understand how to make those genetics work, so the twins ended up as a weird fraternal mix. I didn't know the game could make fraternal twins. Granted, I was trying to create a sim with a hidden trait, and the way I did it was the only way to do it without cheating. But, because of how the game seemed to randomly select their physical features (similar to their clothes when they age up), I ended up cheating anyways to fix it. I agonized over the details for hours as I tried to find the details that worked best for the twins. I used the father and mother as a guide, and I simply copied the same features. However, I was a little upset with how hard it was to create the eyes. The game used their genetics to apply very specific details to the eyes. I don't know how to explain it other than to say that simply selecting a specific eye wasn't enough to replicate what the game created. I had to go into detail mode and try to create it like the game did, and I still couldn't seem to do a good job. I didn't want to outright remove the genetic link to the mother, but I have a feeling that I failed to preserve it while trying.

I never delete the existing households. The households I like most get their aging turned off while the rest of the world ages normally. Sims naturally move in and out of homes. I rotate the households. And even though playing in Sulani makes me feel like I have a chance to be included in a group that is different than myself, I still get frustrated thinking about how I couldn't preserve the twins' appearance while fixing the games weird attempt at genetics.

And, I'm sure that experience isn't too different from people who have mixed children with black sims. The game can throw out genetics that fail to represent the variety of skin tones that exist. Even though I'm white, I live in a subtropical climate, and I know my skin is at least a little darker than family up north. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very white, but I know that skin tone is variable depending on where you live. I also know that black skin tones can vary more than white skin tones. And then, you have undertones to consider.

It can get complicated, and the options for editing are extremely limited.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member

I know. So am I.

I thought so @simgirl1010 I think it was a little rude of you to tell him to go look

I truly apologize if my response was perceived as rude. The poster used the word "colored" when referencing African Americans. Some do find it offensive. Rather than providing context that might not have been appreciated I simply suggested he research it if interested. How is that at all rude? 🤔
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2020
    Well then everyone is at least a little racist because I bet with all of you, you all have accidentally exluded or overlooked at least one race, sexual orientation etc. in your game. So nobody is innocent.
    Also exlusion is not nessecarily always based on the belief that one is inferior. Like you said sometimes it's accidental because we tend to create sims that feel familiar to us.

For my MerMan sim, the game used “her,” and last time I checked, merfolk aren’t gender exclusive. As a member of a merfolk community in real-life, I’m very aware of the gender disproportion.

What does this mean?

It means that there are people who actively free dive with mertails, and there is a community of thousands that are involved. Things along the line of what I see commented on this thread can be found in the mercommunity.

Thank you for explaining :smile:

The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options

Same. Hope you have a good night.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

Just to clarify, you know that wasn't directed at you right? Just being sure here lol.
  • Options

Just to clarify, you know that wasn't directed at you right? Just being sure here lol.
    Of course. I am just enjoying a movie with my parents.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I know. So am I.

@comicsforlife ... lol you are too funny. Did you read what you typed? lol

"I'm sorry if you are offended by my thinking you are a little rude."

I'm going to adopt that lol

Yes, I do think you are mentally crackers, not to mention absolutely freaking annoying, but you're my friend and I love you. No really, just because you're completely psycho don't mean I don't appreciate your company. What ya say? Friends forever?

well just because someone is nice doesn't mean they can't be rude sometimes
    and it doesn't mean I think any less of them and I also don't want to hurt anyone's feelings @muzickmage

I agree.

I was just teasing. It's one of my flaws..... I resort to humor sometimes in an attempt to keep things fun.

If I get out of hand just yell at me. lol Send me one of those squinty-eyed emojis. Maybe this one .... >:)
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I know. So am I.

I truly apologize if my response was perceived as rude. The poster used the word "colored" when referencing African Americans. Some do find it offensive. Rather than providing context that might not have been appreciated I simply suggested he research it if interested. How is that at all rude? 🤔

well it seemed to me like you were saying he is very ignorant so much so that they need to go educate themselves right away
    I think saying that they might make others feel bad by saying it would have been just fine though
    @simgirl1010 I also want to add again that I think your a nice person and I think well of you
    you always do those nice giveaways and you make really nice threads that I enjoy reading
    and lots of other stuff to
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
  • Options

I know. So am I.

@comicsforlife ... lol you are too funny. Did you read what you typed? lol

"I'm sorry if you are offended by my thinking you are a little rude."

I'm going to adopt that lol

Yes, I do think you are mentally crackers, not to mention absolutely freaking annoying, but you're my friend and I love you. No really, just because you're completely psycho don't mean I don't appreciate your company. What ya say? Friends forever?

well just because someone is nice doesn't mean they can't be rude sometimes
    and it doesn't mean I think any less of them and I also don't want to hurt anyone's feelings @muzickmage

I agree.

I was just teasing. It's one of my flaws..... I resort to humor sometimes in an attempt to keep things fun.

If I get out of hand just yell at me. lol Send me one of those squinty-eyed emojis. Maybe this one .... >:)

oh that okay you made me laugh @muzickmage
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Gordy wrote: »

Portugal is beautiful!! My brother and his wife visited last year. I could only see through pictures and videos. I wish I couldve gone. I hope they add more different kinds of worlds!!
    Hope they had a great time. Mind if I ask why they went to Portugal? I don't usually hear about people wanting to visit my ancestral country.

Also, your avatar was brought up in a thread earlier, and you mentioned he was from a game. Can I ask who he is? He's kind of cute.

My religious organization every few years hosts big events and invites people from congregations all over the world as visitors to different countries. I meet many people of my faith that way. So they got to meet many people from lots of congregations there. The delegates come from all over the world. You get to try new foods, visit historical buildings and sites, learn a bit of the language and culture. Its so wonderful! I got to do the same some years ago in Seoul. Not only did I make korean friends of my faith there, but also people from Europe, Africa, South America etc that also came as delegates. Its like a massive family reunion except you havent met yet 😅 ♡

Oh avi is fanart from an otome game called Mystic Messenger. Otome games are like romance simulation games. Usually the goal is to fall in love with one of the main characters. The storylines from games vary on the setting and tone. Some are sappy, some dramatic, some are straight up gag games (see Hatoful Boyfriend) The character's Jumin Han. I like his character since he is very serious and his humor is very dry/almost nonexistent. But he turns into a sap around his fluffy white cat and is obessive over her. I love cats too so I get it. Im obsessed with mine!! Lol you really have to be into otome to enjoy it 😂 its suuuper corny but funny and the plot goes farther than most otomes do.

• Options

Portugal is beautiful!! My brother and his wife visited last year. I could only see through pictures and videos. I wish I couldve gone. I hope they add more different kinds of worlds!!
    Hope they had a great time. Mind if I ask why they went to Portugal? I don't usually hear about people wanting to visit my ancestral country.

Also, your avatar was brought up in a thread earlier, and you mentioned he was from a game. Can I ask who he is? He's kind of cute.

My religious organization every few years hosts big events and invites people from congregations all over the world as visitors to different countries. I meet many people of my faith that way. So they got to meet many people from lots of congregations there. The delegates come from all over the world. You get to try new foods, visit historical buildings and sites, learn a bit of the language and culture. Its so wonderful! I got to do the same some years ago in Seoul. Not only did I make korean friends of my faith there, but also people from Europe, Africa, South America etc that also came as delegates. Its like a massive family reunion except you havent met yet 😅 ♡

Oh avi is fanart from an otome game called Mystic Messenger. Otome games are like romance simulation games. Usually the goal is to fall in love with one of the main characters. The storylines from games vary on the setting and tone. Some are sappy, some dramatic, some are straight up gag games (see Hatoful Boyfriend) The character's Jumin Han. I like his character since he is very serious and his humor is very dry/almost nonexistent. But he turns into a sap around his fluffy white cat and is obessive over her. I love cats too so I get it. Im obsessed with mine!! Lol you really have to be into otome to enjoy it 😂 its suuuper corny but funny and the plot goes farther than most otomes do.
    That is so cool. I went to an event similar to that in California with many congregations. It was so neat, I got to meet people from Korea, Japan, China, Africa, and Philippines. We felt so bad they brought us presents, so we went to Michael's craft store and instead of spending time in the pool, we made presents for them too. This one Japanese girl saw me in a wheelchair and went deep in her bag and got me black pearl earrings. It did feel like meeting a massive family, I loved it. Portugal does sound lovely. There are so many places I would love to visit. It is so nice at the events because race isn't a factor, we are just one massive family and love one another.
  • Options

That is so cool. I went to an event similar to that in California with many congregations. It was so neat, I got to meet people from Korea, Japan, China, Africa, and Philippines. We felt so bad they brought us presents, so we went to Michael's craft store and instead of spending time in the pool, we made presents for them too. This one Japanese girl saw me in a wheelchair and went deep in her bag and got me black pearl earrings. It did feel like meeting a massive family, I loved it. Portugal does sound lovely. There are so many places I would love to visit. It is so nice at the events because race isn't a factor, we are just one massive family and love one another.

Ok same!! Ive done something similar. The friends in korea gave me so many gifts to take back home - no lie - we had to BUY another suitcase just to bring them back!! The hospitality was crazy!! I had made some handmade gifts I gave out but not enough to give to everyone I met 😭😭 I felt bad but the least I could give was a hug and smile to everyone else :) Yup. Love surpasses racism & prejudice always! I feel true genuine unity and love at these events. Not superficial at all. You can really feel it. I have many places Id still like to see. Covid has cancelled many plans 😂 until then when things get safer, I'll be waiting expectantly for my next opportunity to travel and meet new people!

• Options

Ok same!! Ive done something similar. The friends in korea gave me so many gifts to take back home - no lie - we had to BUY another suitcase just to bring them back!! The hospitality was crazy!! I had made some handmade gifts I gave out but not enough to give to everyone I met 😭😭 I felt bad but the least I could give was a hug and smile to everyone else :) Yup. Love surpasses racism & prejudice always! I feel true genuine unity and love at these events. Not superficial at all. You can really feel it. I have many places Id still like to see. Covid has cancelled many plans 😂 until then when things get safer, I'll be waiting expectantly for my next opportunity to travel and meet new people!
    Cool I still have some of my gifts. I love hospitality. I heard events in Ireland were amazing too with food and paintings and music. That is what I miss most is giving people hugs. My family and I do our meeting virtually to keep people safe with the covid. This year we are doing our big event virtually too which is a first. I hope that you get to see some places too. I wanted to visit my cousins in Ireland this year. They were like just get a ticket, we will worry about everything else. I hope that you stay safe.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

This was so heartwarming 🤗🤗🤗🥰🥰🥰
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options

sounds really fun
  • Options
    @Scobre Yes we are also doing our virtual gatherings to stay safe. I hope you do the same!

• Options
    @Scobre Yes we are also doing our virtual gatherings to stay safe. I hope you do the same!
    Thank you enjoy them. The care packages are so great too with my congregation to make sure families have enough food to survive this year. Honestly has made this year more bearable. It was hard moving states, but felt like I had a family right away when we did even if we weren't blood related.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Trashmagic wrote: »

I'm frankly getting tired of my race being put on a pedastal and white people being shamed for simply being unaware, especially for something as minor as skintones in a videogame. I find her post quite annoying. Besides, as the above points out, Kate's being rather hypocritical.

You think black people are put on a pedestal? and white people are being shamed? Wow, White people must have a long history of oppression and being abused in this country, that is still ongoing to this day . White people must feel so bad that...black people are getting non ashy skintones.

Look at all the likes for this tonedeaf, reverse reality comment. Such a shame. There are 50 european/straight hairstyles for a single textured hair in this game. How are we being treated better exactly? We have to beg for more stuff to represent black sims.

Why does the sims have to represent black sims? Or any skin tone of ours? That's what i'm failing to understand. The need for the sims world to represent our way of life. How is it that the sims game is responsible for representing any of us in any way, whether it be skin tones, hair styles, or other ideas?

Why do you need representation? Why do I? Why do any of us?

Representations feels nice. There are many studies that cover the importance of representation in media and yes this includes Sims. One thing I remember is the term symbolic annihilation which is the idea that the less you see of yourself in media (your gender, your skintone, your sexual-orientation and such) the less important you feel. This affects marginalized groups to a greater extent. Which is why deversity issues are commonly brought up by these groups and not by those that are already represented in media.

I understand that you may not care about representation in Sims. But it's clear that others do. What do you gain by getting in the way of that?

A sims' fantasy world where I can escape the very argument this thread is having. I am very nervous about the new sims' world the is currently being built.

You can still have whatever kind of world you want. You can change every sim in that world to fit your vision, and can find mods for the rest. Giving the player additional options doesn't take anything away from you, and letting someone else have a seat at the table too doesn't take your chair away. This metaphorical table is not constrained by size.

Well, at least until EA/Maxis realizes that they can't possibly keep up with the demands of equality, and sims is gone forever due to inability to code all the demands of tomorrow.

I agree. I am fine till then.

I hope you don't think this is going to stop with new swatches. It's just a matter of time before EA/Maxis loses control of this new train ride.

For now. We can all continue to debate the future of sims. Lets hope as well.... that there actually is a future of the sims.

I don't think that this assertion that The Sims is going to be destroyed by an avalanche of demands made to placate "the other" is a helpful or realistic contribution to the discourse here.

My assertion is... that one thing leads to another. And what we may all end up with is wishing that we spent more time inviting the sims into our world, and less time imposing our world onto the sims.

But hey, in the meantime lets make sure we, as people, are all represented fairly, and equally in Brindleton Bay.
    Good luck to us all.

So the slippery slope runs from enhanced gender options, to new dark skin tones, to something something Brindleton Bay, and then to the end of The Sims and, presumably, ourselves? Got it. I'll keep an eye out.

Isn't that what we are discussing here. Equal rights as citizens of earth to be represented equally in the sims game? Doesn't that include Brindleton Bay?

We should be talking about what Rights the "sims" have in the sims game. Not what Rights "we" have. Why are so many of you forgetting/or ignoring that the sims is a game about "sims". We are only playing god over these artificial beings. And as God of their little lives, we are what? Imposing our racial, cultural lives onto them.

EA/Maxis should be limiting the sims to a sims world of fantasy, and leaving the politics of our daily lives out of it. Yes, i'm afraid this is going to get messy. In the long run, I really don't see all of this playing out to anyone's advantage. In the short term, sure, all looks like a great step forward. But down the road. I don't feel like we are heading somewhere positive.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Have you noticed that it's only ever "politics" when the characters and/or assets are related to people who aren't white? Weird, isn't it? It's like there are two ethnicities -- white and "political". It's also like there are two orientations -- straight and "political". Really makes you think doesn't it? At least, it should make you think.

No, it's only about white vs politics when someone decides to divide these conversations into such. My arguments are based on encouraging the sims game to be neutral... which is much easier to code.

Designing a CAS to make sure that we are all treated, and represented equally. That's a lot of code. Today it's about African American skin tones. What's next? According to this thread Indigineous people aren't fairly represented. Are Latino's being represented properly?

What's after that?

At the end of the day, it would be much simplier, and even more fair, to have the sims game simply remain.... the sims game. Have it designed with the sims having its own race. Its own culture, it's own religions. etc. And we can go back to inviting these ideas into our lives.... instead of what we are doing today.... forcing our lives onto the fantasy world of the sims.
    Sorry you see the world in colorless lenses like my dog sees the world. I see it in colors.

Oh no... Completely irrelevant but I have to say it. You do know dogs do see colour, right? 😅 Just less bright than we do. They see the world in yellow, blue and gray.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top