Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blatant racism vs Covert Racism that sadly and upsetting seems to exist in the sims

Comments

• Options
    Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    @Sim_Architects My hair isn't straight and it ain't like none of the curly styles in the game. Oh, and how about all the types of grey and gray-streaked that are missing. You're seeing only that one thing you feel is a problem. Just saying. And you are suddenly viewing me as a racist, which I most certainly am not, because it fits with the negative image you appear to encourage your head to be building.

Don't presume to know me or my standing. But this is words against words, and people choose what to believe much rather than listening and reading with an open mind.

If you don't get someone's message, then ask again for clarification instead of giving a presumptious reply and anticipate enmity even when none is intended.

Would you play this game if a majority of the hairstyles were braids, afros, twists, k i n k s, and afro textured? And there were barely any hairstyles of your texture? Yes OR no? Its not hard to answer @Nindigo
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @Sim_Architects Sure, and I'll have you know I do it avidly. I play many games where my character doesn't look anything like me. Heck, I play a guy most of the time even though I'm female irl. I'm intrigued by looks different than my own, because 'me' is boring - I see it in the mirror every day, for crying out loud. My gaming is a break from real life. It's just for fun and to do things I normally can't or won't. Is that any different from how you play?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    @Sim_Architects Sure, and I'll have you know I do it avidly. I play many games where my character doesn't look anything like me. Heck, I play a guy most of the time even though I'm female irl. I'm intrigued by looks different than my own, because 'me' is boring - I see it in the mirror every day, for crying out loud. My gaming is a break from real life. It's just for fun and to do things I normally can't or won't. Is that any different from how you play?

Okay thats nice to know. Hopefully EA will make the switch from these overly saturated straight hairstyles and give us a free update with over 100 blacker styles so we can catch up to the same number of hairs everyone else has.
  • Options
    netney52 wrote: »
    The game should have come with a colour wheel or sliders for skin tones (like sims 3) the current skin tones are very limiting. The base game cas is awful. Personally I’ve always thought the franchise in general is more geared towards the caucasian picket fence American dream and has seemed this way since sims 1. Although sims 4 has tried to get away from this look it still has a similar vibe. The game is becoming more diverse for different races and cultures but it’s not enough and it needs more culture in the game and it’s taken 20 years to get to this point which I find very sad.

It is :)

• Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited August 2020
    There's a reason the lack of or poorly done skin tones matter to some players and not others, whether you understand their reasons or not. If you're one of those who can just move on, good. If you're happy with the game as is and you never ask for additions or improvements, nice. Updates that matter to other players will not take away what you already have.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    edited August 2020
    @Sim_Architects My hair isn't straight and it ain't like none of the curly styles in the game. Oh, and how about all the types of grey and gray-streaked that are missing. You're seeing only that one thing you feel is a problem. Just saying. And you are suddenly viewing me as a racist, which I most certainly am not, because it fits with the negative image you appear to encourage your head to be building.

Don't presume to know me or my standing. But this is words against words, and people choose what to believe much rather than listening and reading with an open mind.

If you don't get someone's message, then ask again for clarification instead of giving a presumptious reply and anticipate enmity even when none is intended.

Would you play this game if a majority of the hairstyles were braids, afros, twists, k i n k s, and afro textured? And there were barely any hairstyles of your texture? Yes OR no? Its not hard to answer @Nindigo

I often think about this scenario. It's sad but I am sure that many of those complaining about this would flip and complain about the lack of whatever. As I said, for some it's a non-issue until it personally affects them. We need more empathy.

• Options

Okay thats nice to know. Hopefully EA will make the switch from these overly saturated straight hairstyles and give us a free update with over 100 blacker styles so we can catch up to the same number of hairs everyone else has.

Can I has my hair color adden then, too? It's darkish brownish-blonde-something :D I'm cool with everybody's look, for real. I embrace diversity What matters is the heart. Are you a good person? If yes, then nothing else matters to me. Oh, and I'll also have you know that I have a crush on King Ezekiel (Walking Dead HBO series). His face, his dreads and walkstyle - all very attractive if you ask me!

Okay, back on topic.. (sorry *poofs*)

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Trashmagic wrote: »

I often think about this scenario. It's sad but I am sure that many of those complaining about this would flip and complain about the lack of whatever. As I said, for some its non-issue until it personally affects them. We need more empathy.

I try not to think about it too deeply, but it is maddening in all actuality.

I dont think Black people are seen as human . First of all, thats what i believe is the true problem we're having here. Because you and i know very well that those braids and afros , if they were the majority of hairstyles in CAS, would not be seen as "normal" "everyday" styles. And there would be more of an "uproar" and an "outburst" (as the detractors are calling it) than there is right now from underrepresented black simmers.

• Options

Can I has my hair color adden then, too? It's darkish brownish-blonde-something :D I'm cool with everybody's look, for real. I embrace diversity What matters is the heart. Are you a good person? If yes, then nothing else matters to me. Oh, and I'll also have you know that I have a crush on King Ezekiel (Walking Dead HBO series). His face, his dreads and walkstyle - all very attractive if you ask me!

Okay, back on topic.. (sorry *poofs*)

Proof that sexualizing or fetishizing someone doesnt lead to actually HUMAN-IZING them :D
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited August 2020
    And there you have it. I didn't have to wait very long for my comment to be verified.

Some people think that this update is .... for them. Because of them. In respect to them. When it's not.

This update is not for African American people. This update is for all players of the game. For a certain minority to claim ownership of the sim's game, in part or whole, is just sad.

Now we have some people claiming... we black people are finally being better represented. NO... you're not. Because this update isn't about African American people. This update is about allowing all of us simmers, regardless of our skin color, to better create black sims in our game. This update is for the purpose of creating better black sims....not for the purpose of racial equality.

To continue trying to make this all about race, or BLM, or African American representation... will have you continuing to be misled by the simplicity of EA/Maxis just adding more color swatches for all of us to enjoy and use.

Why is there a need to make this about race? Or African American representation? Why can't we just agree that the black swatches in the game are poor, and in desperate need of an update. And after black, we'll petition for better blues, greens, reds, etc.?
  • Options

I often think about this scenario. It's sad but I am sure that many of those complaining about this would flip and complain about the lack of whatever. As I said, for some its non-issue until it personally affects them. We need more empathy.

I dont think Black people are seen as human . First of all, thats what i believe is the true problem we're having here. Because you and i know very well that those braids and afros , if they were the majority of hairstyles in CAS, would not be seen as "normal" "everyday" styles. And there would be more of an "uproar" and an "outburst" (as the detractors are calling it) than there is right now from underrepresented black simmers.

Yep, it's definitely not considered normal. Stray too far from the norm and people get uncomfortable. But you're right, it is maddening. I see this attitude in a lot of communities when people ask for representation. I hope you're taking care of yourself. You seem really passionate about these issues, but some fights just aren't worth the headache.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Yep, it's definitely not considered normal. Stray too far from the norm and people get uncomfortable. But you're right, it is maddening. I see this attitude in a lot of communities when people ask for representation. I hope you're taking care of yourself. You seem really passionate about these issues, but some fights just aren't worth the headache.

You're right. Im very passionate about it. And youre also right that POC really need to give themselves breaks from this sort of engagement and sometimes its better to not engage for your own health , mentally. You take care too :)<3 I will take your words into deep consideration and give myself some pause . Relieving yourself of certain things is good ! @Trashmagic
  • Options
    AverageLuluAverageLulu Posts: 34 Member
    All skin tones in the game are a mess that need to be updated, with the darker tones having priority because my sims look like they fell into an ashtray. Other than that, there are bigger problems out there. Let's all focus our energy on that.
  • Options
    muzickmage wrote: »
    And there you have it. I didn't have to wait very long for my comment to be verified.

Some people think that this update is .... for them. Because of them. In respect to them. When it's not.

This update is not for African American people. This update is for all players of the game. For a certain minority to claim ownership of the sim's game, in part or whole, is just sad.

Now we have some people claiming... we black people are finally being better represented. NO... you're not. Because this update isn't about African American people. This update is about allowing all of us simmers, regardless of our skin color, to better create black sims in our game. This update is for the purpose of creating better black sims....not for the purpose of racial equality.

To continue trying to make this all about race, or BLM, or African American representation... will have you continuing to be misled by the simplicity of EA/Maxis just adding more color swatches for all of us to enjoy and use.

Why is there a need to make this about race? Or African American representation? Why can't we just agree that the black swatches in the game are poor, and in desperate need of an update. And after black, we'll petition for better blues, greens, reds, etc.?

That's a weird phrasing to get hung up on. A bit nitpicky. But is it wrong? Obviously the darker skin tones are representing people with darker skin tones, so on and such. Yeah, we have supernatural and unnatural skin tones but that's the quirkiness of sims. You can have realistic gameplay or otherwise. Art imitates life so yes, black people are being better represented. People with darker skintones (which is again majority black people) are being represented. Can other people who aren't black enjoy this update? Sure. Why wouldn't they? But this update is literally about representing people with darker skintones who are unhappy with the ashy ones.
  • Options
    @Sim_Architects

Can I just point out that I personally feel there are way more asian eyes than other types of eyes in Sims 4?

In all actuality, the game is poorly balanced in a number of ways and not just CAS-wise. I don't think that hair and skin options were designed to intentionally be neglectful toward any group of people. If you personally were to create a Sim game, perhaps there would be the same tendency to emphasize African-American appearances. And then some "white" people would feel left out.

As I see it, any discrimination is just never okay. It's always presumptious to think oneself better than others. We are all equals. We are all humans. Just like a German Shepherd and a Golden Retriever are both dogs, and one is not more dog than the other. It's a scientific fact.

It's also a very real thing that if one throughout life has met criticism regarding a certain feature or lack of same, we become extremely sensitive around that subject and are prone to perceive insult even when none is intended. I have been through this over and over in my life. And it's not done haunting me yet.

Just take people and weight, for instance. I know that those people exist who in all seriousness believe obese people to be of less value and less worthy of respect compared to non-obese people. What the hell?

It's a nasty trait in the human race. Anything perceived as different is regarded with fear and disdain and as "wrong". I'm very glad that probably equally many (but usually more quiet) people are clever enough to bypass such primitive instinctive reactions.

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

That's a weird phrasing to get hung up on. A bit nitpicky. But is it wrong? Obviously the darker skin tones are representing people with darker skin tones, so on and such. Yeah, we have supernatural and unnatural skin tones but that's the quirkiness of sims. You can have realistic gameplay or otherwise. Art imitates life so yes, black people are being better represented. People with darker skintones (which is again majority black people) are being represented. Can other people who aren't black enjoy this update? Sure. Why wouldn't they? But this update is literally about representing people with darker skintones who are unhappy with the ashy ones.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Problematic, prejudice minded people always reduce complex issues down to simplistic talking points so they can appear as if they have "won" :) Anyways, have a good day you guys @keekee53 @Trashmagic "We" know when people are trying to gain some understanding and when they are just arguing for arguments sake , going in circles to avoid grasping whats being said to them <3
  • Options
    If EA/Maxis is claiming that this update is their way of representing the African American community. My advice is.... we should all immediately complain. Because, that would be (IMO) an insult to African Americans.

The African American culture is much bigger, much more imprinted on society, and is more influental, and educational, than what a few color swatches can help us understand. The music, art, right down to what can be argued as ... lingo.... is unique, Irreplacable, and absolutely priceless.

To suggest, or even accept, that the African American people are being represented by the addition of some color swatches and maybe a few hair styles..... that's what I consider very sad.

No, I don't see this update as being of such representation at all. I see it for what it is.... a few added swatches to decorate our artificial beings. That's it.
  • Options
    If EA/Maxis is claiming that this update is their way of representing the African American community. My advice is.... we should all immediately complain. Because, that would be (IMO) an insult to African Americans.

The African American culture is much bigger, much more imprinted on society, and is more influental, and educational, than what a few color swatches can help us understand. The music, art, right down to what can be argued as ... lingo.... is unique, Irreplacable, and absolutely priceless.

To suggest, or even accept, that the African American people are being represented by the addition of some color swatches and maybe a few hair styles..... that's what I consider very sad.

No, I don't see this update as being of such representation at all. I see it for what it is.... a few added swatches to decorate our artificial beings. That's it.

Jesus take the wheel and give some wisdom. If you think we are saying skin tones are a full representation of the African American community, you are mistaken. Come on now. Don't be ridiculous. Representation of our skin tones and the differences in our skin tones.
  • Options
    keekee53 wrote: »

Jesus take the wheel and give some wisdom. If you think we are saying skin tones are a full representation of the African American community, you are mistaken. Come on now. Don't be ridiculous. Representation of our skin tones and the differences in our skin tones.

No, I'm not saying it's full representation. I'm saying... its "zero" representation.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    keekee53 wrote: »

No, I'm not saying it's full representation. I'm saying... its "zero" representation.

you did say full representation with the examples you used. To say there is zero representation in this game is not accurate. The simple fact they put in an array of skin tones, different eyes sizes, eye color, hair color etc means there is representation in the game. If there was no representation all the sims would look the same.
  • Options
    j1z1 wrote: »
    This thread is basically this:

Person 1: I think people shouldn't complain and call EA racist. This is just nitpicking
    Person 2: It's crazy to me how people can be so racist. We will raise our voices!
    Person 1: No, I'm just talking about people calling EA racist over barely visible red spots on a skintone. I'm glad they are being fixed, I just don't think it's a racial issue. EA don't fix anything ever anyway.
    Person 2: What a white supermacist you are! Blocked!!!

I see it more as a user asking for improvements in an area they see lacking and explaining the likely reasons for that gap. Then I see people taking the use of the word racism personally even though the cristicism wasn't directed at them and they have not experienced what OP talks about. Then dismissing the feedback just because skin tones is not something they're passionate about (which reflects, well, a lot of about our own personal experiences, not just in one game). Thankfully the devs are choosing to listen instead of taking it as a personal affront.

@j1z1 If you take time to check the thread you will see the words racist and white supermacist fall several times. Also a lot of people are happy about the skintones getting better but simply don't get why they skintones have to be "believable" and as "accurate" as possible where there is absolutely nothing else believable or accurate. Have you seen the hairstyles? Hair colours? Faces? Bodies? If that blue black hair and flat white skin is supposed to represent my greek 🌺🌺🌺🌺 then I don't even know.

I did, I don't think the word is being thrown around. And of course you and everyone else are welcome to ask for improvement of those flat white skin tones if you want. If you don't think it a big enough deal to ask for it, that's ok, but other people can do so. Different things matter to different people, sometimes it's a matter of preference like cars and ladders and sometimes there are historical societal contexts.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Person 1: I think people shouldn't complain and call EA racist. This is just nitpicking
    Person 2: It's crazy to me how people can be so racist. We will raise our voices!
    Person 1: No, I'm just talking about people calling EA racist over barely visible red spots on a skintone. I'm glad they are being fixed, I just don't think it's a racial issue. EA don't fix anything ever anyway.

I see it more as a user asking for improvements in an area they see lacking and explaining the likely reasons for that gap. Then I see people taking the use of the word racism personally even though the cristicism wasn't directed at them and they have not experienced what OP talks about. Then dismissing the feedback just because skin tones is not something they're passionate about (which reflects, well, a lot of about our own personal experiences, not just in one game). Thankfully the devs are choosing to listen instead of taking it as a personal affront.

@j1z1 If you take time to check the thread you will see the words racist and white supermacist fall several times. Also a lot of people are happy about the skintones getting better but simply don't get why they skintones have to be "believable" and as "accurate" as possible where there is absolutely nothing else believable or accurate. Have you seen the hairstyles? Hair colours? Faces? Bodies? If that blue black hair and flat white skin is supposed to represent my greek 🌺🌺🌺🌺 then I don't even know.

I did, I don't think the word is being thrown around. And of course you and everyone else are welcome to ask for improvement of those flat white skin tones if you want. If you don't think it a big enough deal to ask for it, that's ok, but other people can do so. Different things matter to different people, sometimes it's a matter of preference like cars and ladders and sometimes there are historical societal contexts.

But you know when it comes to white skintones they will just say "You know with this game we tried to go in a more cartoon-inspired, casual game art style". They wouldn't be fixing the dark skintones either if they were not scared of being called racist in such a difficult time for POC of colour. That's not because they don't care about people of colour, it's because they never fix anything we ask them to fix anyway, they ignore their customers equally.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The fact that some of you are accepting these swatches as representation, validation, EA/Maxis' way of saying we see you..... NO... don't lower yourselves to such insult.

If we are going to continue down the path of racial equality vs the sims' game... then ok... lets do that. IMO.... (on the subject of African Americans) I don't see any representation at all. Absolutely zero. A few color swatches, few hair styles, and maybe even a couple outfits... I don't know. But... is that what the African American culture is all about?

Where do you see absolutely "any" representation of African American culture? Absolutely "any"?

If your argument is.... African American people are not be represented by the sim's game.... you're absolutely right. Hands down.... without question.... you are right.

Then to see some feel better now about being represented after a few color swatches for everyone to decorate their sims.... I'm sorry, I don't agree with that. That is not what I see as .... representation. It's not good enough. It's not acceptable as even a tidbit of an effort. To suggest otherwise.... IMO... is an insult to African American people.

In defense of such culture. I continue to argue.
  • Options

But you know when it comes to white skintones they will just say "You know with this game we tried to go in a more cartoon-inspired, casual game art style". They wouldn't be fixing the dark skintones either if they were not scared of being called racist in such a difficult time for POC of colour. That's not because they don't care about people of colour, it's because they never fix anything we ask them to fix anyway, they ignore their customers equally.

But they do fix things. Not fast enough to our liking maybe, but we have gotten things we have asked for. They won't fix everything, it hasn't stopped people from asking and it shouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top