Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blatant racism vs Covert Racism that sadly and upsetting seems to exist in the sims

Comments

• Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Honestly I didn’t expect much from them with regards to diversity. Diversity starts from within and I haven’t seen many diverse sim gurus or game changers. I remember simguru Lisa who left and I think I seen one other black one. It must be difficult for them to understand skin tones, hair etc at same time trying not to offend. Along with skin tones, sliders need to be fixed. Only so big you can make a butt, thighs, hips, lips etc that I saw.

Side note @Chazzzy ikr yeah you said everything I was quietly thinking.
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    edited August 2020
    Jeez. I read through the whole thread.

I'd like to remind everyone that civil discussion is the best thing we have in society. Be kind to each other and have patience. Bad is usually responded with bad and good with good.

Peace and love to you all. Let's be thankful that we see change for the better, even a minor one and keep up the faith for even better days to come. 🙏
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I don't usually hear about people wanting to visit my ancestral country.

@Gordy

Bom Dia! Portugal is a beautiful country and a popular holiday destination among Europeans.

Some years back my best buddy and I flew to the gorgeous Algarve region. We had to hitch rides in order to get around the place because we happened to be the kind of Genius who were be able to afford and rent a tiny house in the middle of nowhere, but not a car. 🙃
    I remember drinking cafés with Tia Maria for breakfast in Lagos. Our plan was to hang out on the beach but we ended up rescuing young albatrosses with broken wings for most of the day because the poor guys littered the harbor. I think the boys at the Animal Resque got sick of us constantly bringing these injured birds in, because apparently it happens all the time. At least it made us feel better about ourselves.

Would love to go back some day and find a dragaõ... ;)
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2020
    Metior_Ice wrote: »
    In the game, my sim had mixed twins. The father was white while the mother was Asian. The game didn't seem to understand how to make those genetics work, so the twins ended up as a weird fraternal mix.

And, I'm sure that experience isn't too different from people who have mixed children with black sims. The game can throw out genetics that fail to represent the variety of skin tones that exist.

The game really does struggle with genetics sometimes :( in particular, I have found that usually when a black sim and a white sim have a baby it is usually born with the skin colour of one parent or the other, rather than inheriting a skin tone in the middle. Whilst it DOES sometimes happen irl that the child of (say) a black mother and a white father is born completely white, it is very rare. But it my game if one parent is black and the other white I often get completely caucasian looking kids. I wish that the game would be more accurate to real life in this respect.

Sorry if I worded any of this wrong. I don't mean to say anything potentially offensive.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    In the game, my sim had mixed twins. The father was white while the mother was Asian. The game didn't seem to understand how to make those genetics work, so the twins ended up as a weird fraternal mix.

And, I'm sure that experience isn't too different from people who have mixed children with black sims. The game can throw out genetics that fail to represent the variety of skin tones that exist.

The game really does struggle with genetics sometimes :( in particular, I have found that usually when a black sim and a white sim have a baby it is usually born with the skin colour of one parent or the other, rather than inheriting a skin tone in the middle. Whilst it DOES sometimes happen irl that the child of (say) a black mother and a white father is born completely white, it is very rare. But it my game if one parent is black and the other white I often get completely caucasian looking kids. I wish that the game would be more accurate to real life in this respect.

Sorry if I worded any of this wrong. I don't mean to say anything potentially offensive.

I always get black or purple babies because my white sim is married to an alien who is also black
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

The weird thing is when they change upon aging up haha. My mixed race babies sometimes start life with white skin but their skin becomes black when they turn into toddlers and vice versa. I think it's because there aren't as many skin tones for babies as tot+ so they just take on a diff one and if they have mixed genetics it re-randomises at age up or...something? I hope when they add more skin tones in, they add them for the babies too.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

The weird thing is when they change upon aging up haha. My mixed race babies sometimes start life with white skin but their skin becomes black when they turn into toddlers and vice versa. I think it's because there aren't as many skin tones for babies as tot+ so they just take on a diff one and if they have mixed genetics it re-randomises at age up or...something? I hope when they add more skin tones in, they add them for the babies too.

Babies definitely need more skin tones!
  • Options
    muzickmage wrote: »
    I'm going to adopt that lol

Yes, I do think you are mentally crackers, not to mention absolutely freaking annoying, but you're my friend and I love you. No really, just because you're completely psycho don't mean I don't appreciate your company. What ya say? Friends forever?

That’s exactly how I pick my friends. Keeps life interesting.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited August 2020
    I respect your feelings and your right to share your point of view. But, you mention there are races (as in more than one) that are missing. Yet, the only one you mention are those who belong to the Nations. (Yes, that's how those erroneously called Indians are addressed.) IE the Iroquois Six-Nations that made a Treaty with the British back in the mid-18th century to not allow any more white settlers into the western section of North Carolina, which ultimately became Tennessee. This Treaty left out several other Nations, such as the Cherokee Nation (which was very large and who laid claim to the lands in said Treaty.)There are many Nations that lived in North America and I'm curious as to whom you believe has been left out. There are only four races in existence. Some mistake ethnicity with a race, or even a religion with an ethnicity. You have the Black race, the Brown race, the Yellow race (primarily Asians) and the Red race, (primarily those who belong to the Nations). One has to wonder, if this is so easy to fix, why it hasn't been done already? Please take this with the sentiment by which I mean it, (a kind and loving heart) this nation is already divided. Let's not go down this path and further the divide. We simply won't have a home if this keeps up in which to play Sims, let alone live.

Actually there's only 3 races: Caucasoid, N e g r o i d, and Mongoloid. Everyone in the world is either one out of the 3, a descendant, or mixture of those races. Okay..i have no idea why that word is bleep out even though the other two aren't?
    giphy.gif

• Options
    I respect your feelings and your right to share your point of view. But, you mention there are races (as in more than one) that are missing. Yet, the only one you mention are those who belong to the Nations. (Yes, that's how those erroneously called Indians are addressed.) IE the Iroquois Six-Nations that made a Treaty with the British back in the mid-18th century to not allow any more white settlers into the western section of North Carolina, which ultimately became Tennessee. This Treaty left out several other Nations, such as the Cherokee Nation (which was very large and who laid claim to the lands in said Treaty.)There are many Nations that lived in North America and I'm curious as to whom you believe has been left out. There are only four races in existence. Some mistake ethnicity with a race, or even a religion with an ethnicity. You have the Black race, the Brown race, the Yellow race (primarily Asians) and the Red race, (primarily those who belong to the Nations). One has to wonder, if this is so easy to fix, why it hasn't been done already? Please take this with the sentiment by which I mean it, (a kind and loving heart) this nation is already divided. Let's not go down this path and further the divide. We simply won't have a home if this keeps up in which to play Sims, let alone live.

Actually there's only 3 races: Caucasoid, N e g r o i d, and Mongoloid. Everyone in the world is either one out of the 3, a descendant, or mixture of those races. Okay..i have no idea why that word is bleep out even though the other two aren't?

Well it depends on which Professor's color terminology you decide to follow.
    I was taught that there's "Black", "Brown", "Red", "Yellow" & "White" and that I'm all of them except for "Black" and "Red".

• Options
    Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    edited August 2020
    In biology there’s only one: H. Sapient.

The construct of races are deemed more or less like families of the same species, and genetic science has revealed that the overlapping of genetic features is way more prominent than the phenotypical differences. All of us are the socially-called “mixed-races”.

It’s quite interesting to see how the discussion unfolded. I’m glad that this thread has been mostly civil.

Edited: Latin word being censored.
  • Options
    In biology there’s only one: H. Sapient.

The construct of races are deemed more or less like families of the same species, and genetic science has revealed that the overlapping of genetic features is way more prominent than the phenotypical differences. All of us are the socially-called “mixed-races”.

It’s quite interesting to see how the discussion unfolded. I’m glad that this thread has been mostly civil.

I agree -to be fair, when it comes to humans, to me that's the only actual "Race" that exists has well. We're all the same thing with a couple of differences here and there.
    Since we're at it, The casual use of the word "racism" gets exhausting too. I may have used it in the past. But I prefer "discrimination" if anything. This broader term may make it easier to understand how ridiculous a lot of folks act towards other human beings, it doesn't matter what the differences are between us.

Yup. The constant censoring of these previously ordinary words just adds to the problem. Sadly everything becomes a taboo. And in the meantime there are no weekend moderators to remove the serious trash on this forum. It's all rather Kafka-esque if you ask me.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Thank you @comisforlife *Hugs* <3

@drakharis Thank you! I made Noah over two years ago so I don't recall much about his creation other than the online research. I do know I went back and forth between online photos, descriptions and personal photos while creating him. My usual way to make a Sim is to use the in-game randomize button until I find one I like as a base and continue from there. I do start with presets sometimes, but they almost never stay as the preset, they get tweaked, pushed, pulled, etc. until I'm satisfied with the Sim's look. It can take hours to create one Sim and Noah took even longer than usual.

I wasn't trying to prove you completely wrong, you're not, hence the reason it took me so long to create Noah. I just wanted to show that it was possible to create a Sim that looked somewhat Native American other than the correct skin tone. Plus, to share the fact it never crossed my mind the reason the skintone for him wasn't available was for any kind of racist reasons. In my mind Noah looks quite similar to our family's ancestors, but he's not 100% correct. It also doesn't mean all Native Americans can be created just because I made my interpretation of one.

Many Simmers create themselves, their families or Sims similar to themselves and/or friends for a lot of reasons; as a way to create immersion, to honor someone, or just for fun to see if they can do it. When you set out to do that and it's not possible, I can certainly understand how that can be disappointing. Thankfully, those in charge have recognized this fact and shared their upcoming plans to add more skintones and hairstyles, along with a fix for the original skintones that were compromised at some point and never addressed. I hope some of them they add will make it possible for you and everyone else to create the Sims they want to play with in their games. :)

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    When I was a child, I was taught that the color of one's skin was encouraged greatly by the environment we all grow up in. Be it Africa, Europe, North America, etc. And though it takes generations of environmental influence - the sun, humidity, air moisture, and so on causes the skin to tone to its environment.

According to that. We are all human chameleons.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    A lack of variety, in and of itself, does not equal racism or any other kind of discrimination. That is called overthinking things and deliberately twisting reality to suit oneself. And to what end?

I have absolutely no understanding of the nitpicking over skintones and hairstyles whatsoever. It's a game and I wish people could enjoy it as such without tripping over little things that don't conform to reality as THEY see it. While at the same time not mentioning any of those many other little things that sets it apart from reality. It's nothing but pure hypocrisy in my eyes.

The Sims 4 is a package deal, take it or leave it. You don't get to choose what can be realistic or not. Because people want everything - and for nothing. No business works that way.

If one is determined to find insult, they will - everywhere, for goodness sake. How about turning eyes and interests towards something healthier and more real, rather than consistently bellowing inane complaints about this poor old game.

:|

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited August 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    A lack of variety, in and of itself, does not equal racism or any other kind of discrimination. That is called overthinking things and deliberately twisting reality to suit oneself. And to what end?

I have absolutely no understanding of the nitpicking over skintones and hairstyles whatsoever. It's a game and I wish people could enjoy it as such without tripping over little things that don't conform to reality as THEY see it. While at the same time not mentioning any of those many other little things that sets it apart from reality. It's nothing but pure hypocrisy in my eyes.

The Sims 4 is a package deal, take it or leave it. You don't get to choose what can be realistic or not. Because people want everything - and for nothing. No business works that way.

If one is determined to find insult, they will - everywhere, for goodness sake. How about turning eyes and interests towards something healthier and more real, rather than consistently bellowing inane complaints about this poor old game.

While I agree with you, unfortunately we are living in a reality where people will use racial politics to earn things..... such as by accusing a video game of needing to adopt the responsibility of representing different racial cultures.

We need better swatches for black sims. I agree with that argument. But not for the purpose of representing African Americans. But because we need better looking swatches for black sims - and because some of us want black sims... and for "everyone" to have and use. Not just for African Americans to use.

I hate the term i've witnessed so far during this debate... black people are getting better swatches. Which makes me wonder.... why are black people getting these swatches? Aren't they for everyone?

Unfortunately, the expected update has already, in the minds of some, been label with racial intent - and the update has been claimed by a particular minority as being for them, in respect to them. It's their update.

I would like to also see better blue swatches. Now of course, being that its the color of blue, not black, we won't have a long debate over racial equality. But hey. Maybe its just me but, if we are fighting for equality, then maybe I will advocate for the Asari's from Mass Effect. I love the blue Asari race. I think they should be represented as well. After all, from one video game to another.... that's a fair argument isn't it?
  • Options
    Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member

You don’t have to understand why black simmers want black hairstyles. Our desire to have them is still valid. Your acceptance or understanding is not needed!

• Options

While I agree with you, unfortunately we are living in a reality where people will use racial politics to earn things..... such as by accusing a video game of needing to adopt the responsibility of representing different racial cultures.

We need better swatches for black sims. I agree with that argument. But not for the purpose of representing African Americans. But because we need better looking swatches for black sims - and because some of us want black sims... and for "everyone" to have and use. Not just for African Americans to use.

I hate the term i've witnessed so far during this debate... black people are getting better swatches. Which makes me wonder.... why are black people getting these swatches? Aren't they for everyone?

Unfortunately, the expected update has already, in the minds of some, been label with racial intent - and the update has been claimed by a particular minority as being for them, in respect to them. It's their update.

I would like to also see better blue swatches. Now of course, being that its the color of blue, not black, we won't have a long debate over racial equality. But hey. Maybe its just me but, if we are fighting for equality, then maybe I will advocate for the Asari's from Mass Effect. I love the blue Asari race. I think they should be represented as well. After all, from one video game to another.... that's a fair argument isn't it?

SIGH this is like the all lives matter debate right here.

YES all lives matter but it is BLACK people getting killed in the street by cops. YES everyone should be represented in a game where the company claims to be "inclusive" and our tones are not represented. WE need and are getting better swatches. No one was asking why they are updating the game with LBGTQ stuff when they did the major update for them. Now we want to question why black people are getting these swatches and you wonder why we say there is systemic racism in this country. We are tired of getting asked why do you want to be represented.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited August 2020
    Simburian wrote: »
    Portugal has a fascinating history, Lisbon earthquake and tsunami in 1755, Columbus, Kings and Queens, Peninsular War, beautiful scenery and all. I've read a lot about it but haven't visited yet.

[quote If you think the history is wild, you should hear their myths and legends. From the two-colored lake to ghost stories and legends, it's wild. If you ever go, make sure you book the right accommodations. You either get storybook villages, grand resorts and hotels, or dank little houses.
    [/quote]

I got interested in Portugal because I am a History nut about The Napoleonic Wars, especially from the British side and devoured everything I could about the country. You know then, one thing leads to another, then I'm reading about Isabella 1st of Castille, then Columbus ..... :)

If I go to Portugal it'll have to be on a coach tour as I'm not too agile otherwise and not when it's too hot. You have to take the rough with the smooth with them unless you pay for a luxury one. I'd love to go to Africa too.

I completely ruined a tour to Greece when I hadn't the energy to look all around the Oracle at Delphi as the temperature was well over 30degrees. I just went up and took a picture and hurried back to the coach which had air-conditioning full on. :'( I asked myself why is everything that is worth seeing in Greece all uphill? That's including the Parthenon too. We also had an 5 earthquake too up north!

I used to love travelling though. The furthest I have been is the Rocky Mountains and to Leningrad & Moscow during the Cold War where it was 30 degrees below in February, where I found a new use for credit cards, scraping the ice off coach & train windows and watched the changing of the Guard at midnight. People lovely everywhere and very safe for a tourist then, except for food poisoning! B):)

I'd love all these places in Sims 4 if it could be managed sometime as Sims 4 will be the last iteration I'll play.
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    edited August 2020
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    mannanna wrote: »
    All I can say about SimGuruKate's twitter post is wow. I do know Sims is an American game and reflects on USA more than any other country, but to say it is bad white people weren't aware? Is she talking about her fellow Americans or all people that play Sims? My game is pretty diverse because of all the Sims the game itself creates but when I create a sim I create a white sim because that is how I and my world looks like...and now that's wrong because if I had been more inclusive I would have known about the other bad color swatches. No, it's not problematic, what's problematic is that it took so long for the developers to change it and too many Americans forget there are other places in the world outside of US.

I'm frankly getting tired of my race being put on a pedastal and white people being shamed for simply being unaware, especially for something as minor as skintones in a videogame. I find her post quite annoying. Besides, as the above points out, Kate's being rather hypocritical.

EDIT: Assuming she didn't know in the past either.

You think black people are put on a pedestal? and white people are being shamed? Wow, White people must have a long history of oppression and being abused in this country, that is still ongoing to this day . White people must feel so bad that...black people are getting non ashy skintones.

Look at all the likes for this tonedeaf, reverse reality comment. Such a shame. There are 50 european/straight hairstyles for a single textured hair in this game. How are we being treated better exactly? We have to beg for more stuff to represent black sims.

Why does the sims have to represent black sims? Or any skin tone of ours? That's what i'm failing to understand. The need for the sims world to represent our way of life. How is it that the sims game is responsible for representing any of us in any way, whether it be skin tones, hair styles, or other ideas?

Why do you need representation? Why do I? Why do any of us?

Representation feels nice. There are many studies that cover the importance of representation in media and yes this includes Sims. One thing I remember is the term symbolic annihilation which is the idea that the less you see of yourself in media (your gender, your skintone, your sexual-orientation and such) the less important you feel. This affects marginalized groups to a greater extent. Which is why diversity issues are commonly brought up by these groups and not by those that are already represented in media.

I understand that you may not care about representation in Sims. But it's clear that others do. What do you gain by getting in the way of that?
    @Trashmagic it's not like there was no representation for POC in the Sims. It's more that some were just not satisfied with what it looked like and started calling EA racist for not meeting their demands and ignoring their requests, when EA ignores all requests from fans no matter if you're black, white etc.
    Only if the GameChangers request something they put it in the game. My 3-month old baby cannot represent itself accurately either.

I can’t comment on the racism accusations. I haven’t seen them. I don’t think Ea or the devs are racist. I do however think the quality of dark skin tones were overlooked because of a lack of understanding and perhaps in some cases care and not necessarily maliciously either. I’ve noticed with a lot of diversity issues those who aren’t affected by it simply don’t notice or care because it doesn’t affect them. I’m not sure why you’re being hyperbolic. People wanted less ashy looking skin tones. Not an entire new life state.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    keekee53 wrote: »

YES all lives matter but it is BLACK people getting killed in the street by cops. YES everyone should be represented in a game where the company claims to be "inclusive" and our tones are not represented. WE need and are getting better swatches. No one was asking why they are updating the game with LBGTQ stuff when they did the major update for them. Now we want to question why black people are getting these swatches and you wonder why we say there is systemic racism in this country. We are tired of getting asked why do you want to be represented.

The fact that people even ask why is just....staggering. I havent seen a single wholesome reply or explanation for why black simmers getting better content is so upsetting for some people. All the comments that are arguing for less content for black/dark skinned sims seem derisive and antagonizing. No good will.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The game should have come with a colour wheel or sliders for skin tones (like sims 3) the current skin tones are very limiting. The base game cas is awful. Personally I’ve always thought the franchise in general is more geared towards the caucasian picket fence American dream and has seemed this way since sims 1. Although sims 4 has tried to get away from this look it still has a similar vibe. The game is becoming more diverse for different races and cultures but it’s not enough and it needs more culture in the game and it’s taken 20 years to get to this point which I find very sad.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    If this game had launched with a a majority of hairstyles that feature coarser tighter curls and k i n k i e r , more textured and cultural hairstyles , found more commonly among African-Americans and the Black diaspora and only had a handful of Straight hair, these very same people who dont understand the need for certain hairstyles or hairtypes would be demanding straighter , more "normal" or Caucasian hairstyles. For their light/white sims!

All of this nonsense about not understanding why people need hair that looks like theirs would fly right out of the window! I guarantee you if it was the other way around and there were barely any hair textures that matched Caucasian hair and other non-black players had to use locs, twists, braids & k i n k y curls they would be not just be "okay" with that and going on and on talking about how its just a game and doesnt matter to them >:) They would say this hair doesnt look like me or the Sims i want to create . Plain and simple.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @muzickmage @Sim_Architects

Here is the thing - I'm white, but neither my skintone nor my hair color (even hairstyle) can be found in The Sims 4. But I've got better things to do than to anguish over that. I have no need to see myself mirrored everywhere in everything. My self-confidence doesn't come from that. I'd be one heck of a depressed person if it did.

Also, try not to forget that white people are just as terrible towards other white people as they are towards whatever-skintoned people. In fact, the human race is really awful in a lot of ways both toward each other and the natural world. If it's not color, then it's something else. We are always at each others' throat 'cause some are always so friggin' certain, they are better than anyone else. Black people are from alone in being targeted, but it's in the media all the time currently. Just know that there is really nothing new under the sky...it just one thing that gets attention these days.

We all got a choice - to dwell on our misery or to move on. Take The Sims 4 for the game it is and not some accurate real-life reflection, because if that was the case, it is woefully lacking in all aspects and should be taken off the market.

In the end, All Lives Matter.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    keekee53 wrote: »

The fact that people even ask why is just....staggering. I havent seen a single wholesome reply or explanation for why black simmers getting better content is so upsetting for some people. All the comments that are arguing for less content for black/dark skinned sims seem derisive and antagonizing. No good will.

It is just sad...
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top