Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim's death - how are you dealing with it?

How are you usually handling your played Sims' death?

Personally, I'm trying to be as prepared as I can - Death Flowers, Books of Life, Ambrosia are by best friends.
Skills and aspirations with them are my top priority when I start a new save.

Sim's death - how are you dealing with it? 241 votes

I accept it as part of the game/story.
42%
Akl500PFrn0731icmnfrshBluefairy286IcewolfLaBlue0314alexspoom13SimmervilleaprilroseAlexaiMartinvpoemetragurlMi9shaoscarAlrynnhuandluelanorbretonxdawnxDJQ1308TiipiiSimpkin 102 votes
I accept it, unless it totally breaks my story.
25%
Kita5399GalacticGalIceyJlisamwittoveroncandystormPlayerSinger2010VibseIsb917shokoroseMeteoraStormStrangerthanMizz_Triceysash2113Mariefoxprice83keenowHestiaTildeLpixiejuiceSimplyTori 62 votes
I quit without saving and roll back.
6%
wrenstalesanosesSheriSim57MDianaSimsTravisBlackfoxsimoleoncatSERVERFRAPhantasi33izecsonxstxrrysequencetelemwillCatzillaAliSim19MaedSuzi84 15 votes
I kill Sims a lot for fun/drama.
6%
Echova5782341b77vlZenAlchemistSiliCloneScobrePamtastic72comicsforlifeItsJanieralyssa123Jasonschick80VamprisSimmingalpetewentosPlainConeyYuki_Eufu 15 votes
I'm doing everything to prevent it or bring the Sim back. (Death Flower, Book of Life, Ambrosia)
4%
jasasimsmcruddAquariusMomKathykinsEvie0602Marduc_PlaysMaWhilSimmyFroggyGooseyMorkovkaAyKooChaoSimsAdobe 12 votes
I would have completely turned Sim death off if it was an option.
4%
Colorist40BloosmooBagoas77sekojranataydevBabykittyjadeAnnLee87ShaeSkeilahRouensimsRhiannon1307Familytree 12 votes
Other...
9%
auroraael14SikoahGracesimgirl1010friendlysimmersSeera1024RepoSPARKY1922LadyKynannaliese39SimmerMarscatmando830EnkiSchmidtHermitgirlSkosalgRedShoe7PrinceSarahNindigoEA_MaiRae357Bobisbae 23 votes

Comments

• Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I play normal lifespan and after 100 in-game days it's time for the next generation.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'm doing everything to prevent it or bring the Sim back. (Death Flower, Book of Life, Ambrosia)
    I play with aging off, emotional deaths disabled. I will usually also have Death Flowers and/or Book of Life
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    I play normal lifespan and after 100 in-game days it's time for the next generation.

Agreed. Playing generationally it furthers the story or could make it go in a different direction if the death was unexpected, which I like as it adds a twist to the game play.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    I usually play with aging turned off, so I don't really have to worry about it (unless I need ghosts for story-related reasons). There have been a few incidents, though. A couple of Sims have set themselves on fire while cooking (and the scary part was, they had the highest cooking skills in the household), one nearly froze to death even though she was wearing her cold weather outfit, and just this afternoon, another Sim came dangerously close to overheating (which was my fault for telling him to go jogging in the middle of a heatwave, ^^;).

So, yeah. If my Sims are ever going to be in a situation where I think they're going to die, I'll make sure someone has their Book of Life. Possibly several copies.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I've brought some sims back to life. As part of the story too.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    I haven't tried to intervene with deaths yet, because I've been usually prepared to them/they have been planned. There were a couple of settings accidents, but I accepted them and changed my story plans.

If I did lose one of my favourite sims by accident... I think I would still have to accept it, because I don't have death flower, book of life or ambrosia yet. If I had them I might use them, but I'd have to reflect on it, because sometimes a sudden death can be a refreshing turn of events.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    My games are played as DID -- Dead Is Dead. No save scumming, no going back. What happens, happens.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I like following sims from birth to deal so I only revert to a save if I REALLY need the deceased sim alive.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I quit without saving and roll back.
    I'm gonna assume you're talking about unexpected deaths here. I usually know exactly what I want to happen in my sims lives - one of them dying unexpectedly means I exit without saving. That said, I have killed sims on purpose for the sake of a story.
    If you're talking about all deaths in game - I've never had a sim die of old age in TS4 because I mostly play with aging off or on long.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I may plead the reaper in some cases but usually just accept the death (pleading may fail anyway). I wish this game had more accidental deaths. Now I feel like I need to push for it if I want somone dead, so yes I also kill sims for drama just not "a lot ".
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    haisin wrote: »
    I haven't tried to intervene with deaths yet, because I've been usually prepared to them/they have been planned. There were a couple of settings accidents, but I accepted them and changed my story plans.

If I did lose one of my favourite sims by accident... I think I would still have to accept it, because I don't have death flower, book of life or ambrosia yet. If I had them I might use them, but I'd have to reflect on it, because sometimes a sudden death can be a refreshing turn of events.

As I found out from this forum you can wish for life at the wishing well. I used it once as my planned heir died. I worked it into a story kinda like people die in real life too and are revived.

And I agree with some unplanned deaths being good plot twists.

I've made some deaths into a story, like how I accidentally killed Vlad and spent the rest of the lifetime trying to make ambrosia to bring him back to life cause he's... Vlad. Or how a kid died at the hospital my sim worked at as a doc and he spent a lot of time trying to get skilled enough for ambrosia too to bring the kid back. It gives me gameplay goals.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Other...
    I haven't had an unexpected death in so long... I don't have to deal with it. I don't like my main sims to die (and play with aging off) so they don't. If I plan a death obviously no problem. I do wonder what I'd do with a completely unexpected death of a sim character I wanted to keep... but I think I'd just find a way to move the ghost in and keep them in the ghost state or bring them back to life rather than exiting without saving.. I'd probably be more inclined to exit without saving if they lived alone.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    When it's over it's over.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Other...
    Bit of a mix. Might have set up a sims death to die depending (making pufferfish nigiri, might be a cowplant on the lot, or maybe locking the door for them not to leave.) for the sake of story.) Any unexpected deaths I just roll with.

Might have a sim beg the grim reaper to plead for other sims life sometime if sim didn't have a death flower on hand. Or I might leave them for awhile, since they're gonna come back as a ghost anyway. Reminds me of when my sims pet died for having her for so long and I just left her. She does come for a late night visit now and again and my sim is happy about it at least. :3 Well...other than ghostly howls.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I kill Sims a lot for fun/drama.
    I think you know my answer.

In general, it depends... I don't bring sims back from death usually, but I like having ghosts around.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I mostly just roll with it, though there are reasons why I would roll back a save or something like that. Guess it all depends on the sim and the stage they are in their lives. Elders are always just dead, unexpected or natural.
  • Options
    ambaraambara Posts: 47 Member
    edited July 2019
    I usually accept it but one of my sims died (toddler told her a killer joke) before she had reproduced and would have left me without anyone to continue that family so I didn't save. Later in the game she got hysterical and died again. That time I let her stay dead since that time she had a son. I guess that's just how she was meant to go, so far I've never had any other sim die from laughter.
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I like to plan out my sims' stories in advance, which includes who dies and when. If someone dies unexpectedly, I usually keep it that way unless it completely ruins the story I had planned.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019
    Other...
    I don't usually have to handle death in TS4 at all, at least not unexpected deaths. I typically play with ageing off and my favourite sim is an immortal vampire so I'll always have him around. How I would handle death though would depend on the sim and whether it was planned or not. For unplanned deaths, I would likely go with it if didn't interfere with my plans or if it moved the story into an unexpected but interesting direction. If I really didn't like it, I would probably just roll back and start over unless some sort of resurrection makes sense in the story. If my vampire sim somehow died, his family would definitely find a way to bring him back. This would be very selfish of them/me as he has always wanted peace, but they're/I'm too attached to let him go and it would also be in keeping with the supernatural themes in the story.

I am very attached to my own sims, but I have always enjoyed horror, dark and tragic stories and so I do sometimes plan deaths too for drama. I am actually considering killing off my vampire sim's human daughter, but then bringing her back as a child ghost. It would be heartbreaking, but at least they would always have each other then. One of my other sims in a different save is an infamous evil vampire and his family are the only ones that are truly safe around him - everyone else is fair game! I do plan on expanding his family and so eventually family members that don't become vampires (or possibly immortal witches if we get them?) will die too from something if not old age. A few of my favourites may stick around as ghosts though.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    As I found out from this forum you can wish for life at the wishing well. I used it once as my planned heir died. I worked it into a story kinda like people die in real life too and are revived.

And I agree with some unplanned deaths being good plot twists.

I've made some deaths into a story, like how I accidentally killed Vlad and spent the rest of the lifetime trying to make ambrosia to bring him back to life cause he's... Vlad. Or how a kid died at the hospital my sim worked at as a doc and he spent a lot of time trying to get skilled enough for ambrosia too to bring the kid back. It gives me gameplay goals.

Oh I didn't know that about wishing well! It's really good to know if I get it someday.

And I forgot sims can still be kept around and played as a ghost when they die :smiley: (I have never had a ghost as a family member. I tried to do it once, but failed because I played another family for too long before I asked the ghost to move in, so the ghost just vanished...) But yeah, trying to bring someone back would be an interesting story! I would definitely consider it with an important sim :)
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    If they die of old age then I accept it as it's part of life although I do feel a bit sad when they eventually kick it. If they die unexpected at a younger age then I most likely will exit without saving as I'm not ready to say good bye to them at that point.
  • Options
    purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    As much as I hate losing my sims I just accept it and it becomes part of the story.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I play with aging off. If someone happens to die, I just roll with it.

I remember when Laundry Day first came out and I had Sims dying left and right because they didn’t clean the dryer lint. Now that was just too much. Other than that, I just go with the flow.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I normally accept it unless it ruins things I had planned for my Sims.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    It's hard to carry on when the 'star' of the show expires. In one case it wasn't my Global Superstar, but his only sister and her husband, leaving him in charge of their identical twin toddler boys. He was in a difficult relationship that was decaying by the minute. She did 'attempt' to help, here and there, but things went from bad to worse and the twins were on the verge of being taken away. I abandoned that save, and rolled back two, to prevent the premature deaths.

In other cases, the game seemed to be targeting Erik (my 'star'). Twice he died, despite my efforts to prevent it. A third time he went Hysterical, again, and I decided to replace my saves folder with a copy of the back-up I'd made prior to the IL patch. Then I turned off emotional deaths, believing this is a glitch of some sort. Once things get sorted out, I will turn them back on, as I'm one of those who are disconcerted with how 'gentle' the game has become, leaving little as a challenge.

If all else goes poof, then I will restart the entire game save.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/