Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has TS4 development taken a noticeable downturn in 2019?

12346...Next

Comments

• Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Oh my friend, you don't even know. Also I was comparing the games 5 years in, not base game per se. But Sims 2 base game was lightyears ahead of Sims 4 just in animations alone. The Sims 2 takes leaps and bounds in depth and gameplay with each expansion, because everything is customizable and expanded upon. The only thing that Sims 2 doesn't have is Sims 4 CAS and Sims 3 open world and colour wheel, otherwise it's pretty much superior to both games IMO (I know a lot of people thinks Sims 3 is the best, but this is my experience we're talking about).
    The 'new' feature that Sims 4 has is active careers, which is a neat concept but not well executed at all.
    Honestly, if we had an upgrade for Sims 2 so it became 64 bit, I'd go back to that game and never look back.

I have no experience with sims 2 so I can not say much. As for sims 3, the thing with open world was, you were locked into one single world thru your entire gameplay. They did patch in the ability to move households to new worlds later, but you lost all relationships with townies. Sims 3 world was mostly rabbit holes, especially base game and first few expansions. I never found apeal in watching my sims drive to work and then disappear in endless rabbit holes for x amount of hours. As for color wheel, sims 3 as mentioned has appalling lack of meshes in buy and build mode, all the color wheel did was mask it somewhat. One needed good three expansions and two stuff packs to get some diversity, or mod the hell out of it. I did like the hair color wheel part, not going to lie, basically color wheel was masking missing things for the most part in early stages of the games development. Overall the games performance issues is what killed it for me. I do not care how many features the game has, and how many things my sims can do, when I cannot even open it 4 expansions in.

Sims 2 undeniably has charm to it, but to be honest my personal all time favorite is sims 1, there just was something about it and funnily enough I find sims 4 is closer to sims 1 then either 2 or 3. Yes, including the much hated loading screens, remind me of sims 1.
    I love both Sims 1 and Sims 2 - I never got into Sims 3 for various reasons, although I'm sure it improved a lot and had its flaws. Sims 2 to me is just an almost perfect game. The only thing that could need some adjusting is the 64 bit part, as that would make the game A LOT more stable with CC and mods - and Sims 2 with CC and mods is what makes it actually perfect. I never minded the loading screens - and I do enjoy Sims 4's CAS but I can live without it, since for me the gameplay is the most important part. I just would LOVE an updated version of what Sims 2 was. I truly miss the depth in gameplay and the rich personalities in the sims I play. Not that it couldn't be improved. I could write entire essays about what The Sims could be.

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Hmm, not really. I agree Island Living looks shallow & disappointing and I'm not interested in Strangerville apart from the CAS & Build Mode stuff. But Get Famous (apart from shortage of lots & toilets) is probably the best EP, better than Seasons and even Get Together. And the new careers, part time jobs for all and trait randomiser are great. So despite the rebranding, the year comes out y ahead so far. They can do good things in TS4 when EA allows them too.

GF has a golden toilet lol.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    Oh my friend, you don't even know. Also I was comparing the games 5 years in, not base game per se. But Sims 2 base game was lightyears ahead of Sims 4 just in animations alone. The Sims 2 takes leaps and bounds in depth and gameplay with each expansion, because everything is customizable and expanded upon. The only thing that Sims 2 doesn't have is Sims 4 CAS and Sims 3 open world and colour wheel, otherwise it's pretty much superior to both games IMO (I know a lot of people thinks Sims 3 is the best, but this is my experience we're talking about).
    The 'new' feature that Sims 4 has is active careers, which is a neat concept but not well executed at all.
    Honestly, if we had an upgrade for Sims 2 so it became 64 bit, I'd go back to that game and never look back.

I have no experience with sims 2 so I can not say much. As for sims 3, the thing with open world was, you were locked into one single world thru your entire gameplay. They did patch in the ability to move households to new worlds later, but you lost all relationships with townies. Sims 3 world was mostly rabbit holes, especially base game and first few expansions. I never found apeal in watching my sims drive to work and then disappear in endless rabbit holes for x amount of hours. As for color wheel, sims 3 as mentioned has appalling lack of meshes in buy and build mode, all the color wheel did was mask it somewhat. One needed good three expansions and two stuff packs to get some diversity, or mod the hell out of it. I did like the hair color wheel part, not going to lie, basically color wheel was masking missing things for the most part in early stages of the games development. Overall the games performance issues is what killed it for me. I do not care how many features the game has, and how many things my sims can do, when I cannot even open it 4 expansions in.

Sims 2 undeniably has charm to it, but to be honest my personal all time favorite is sims 1, there just was something about it and funnily enough I find sims 4 is closer to sims 1 then either 2 or 3. Yes, including the much hated loading screens, remind me of sims 1.

I agree with Aine as Sims 2 is superior to Sims 3 and 4 combined, But I must say it is true that you was confined to one world and in Sims 4 you your neighborhoods are connected(which I wish was possible in Sims 3) but Sims 3 has an feature that Sims 4 may never had and may never have, even if Sims 4 does have an cottection feature it does not have any features that allow you to edit your neighborhoods, add or subtract lots including the ability to edit the sizes and the ability to make worlds. Now if Sims 4 had the ability to connect and also the ability to do all that is listed that it can't do then for me I would me set. Even for me connecting the neighorhoods does not greatly enhance my creativity as it had with Sims 3 because I am forced to keep my creativity to the size of each Neighborhood. For me SIms 4 has an awful lot of limitations and if EA/Maxis took the time to tweak what they had both Sims 3 and Sims 4 it would not have an lot of controversy. With Sims 2 I was more close to my SIms and could create stories even if it did not have the features Sims 3 had. Sims 4 I do not feel no closeness and no immersion. I am hard on Sims 4 because it have been the best if it had expanded on what Sims 2 and 3 had and added what little is in Sims 4.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright friends let's leave out the discussion please of "political correctness" and the like, there's no need for it. Keep this civil and on track please.
  • Options
    Eduardvx123Eduardvx123 Posts: 8 New Member
    Lets abandon Sims 4, the AI for this game is very poor and there are huge amount of bugs ....simply terrible.
  • Options
    Eduardvx123Eduardvx123 Posts: 8 New Member
    BTW i really do think sims 4 is the worst version of the entire history of this game.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I can definitely see the attempts the Sims Studio is trying to cater towards the current audience. With so much content stripped out during the early phase of the launch, you can expect a lot of customers turned away because of it. I myself was one of those who completely stopped playing early 2017.

The only thing that brought me back to play was the fact that you can now "Build A Bundle". I've been purchasing my missing EP/GP/SP with the price it's worth. I'm now waiting on Island Paradise to get a discount. The CAS is amazing and the worlds can be pretty. Yet, the game still lacks depth in so many ways. I've been re-creating the real timeline set in The Sims 3 back into The Sims 4. I don't particularly enjoy the new "Landgraabs" and the lack of Altos.

In my own opinion, The Sims 2 will always have a special place on the throne and it certainly outclasses The Sims 3 in many ways.

I just hope that The Sims Studio / Maxis is willing to revisit, play The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 hardcore throughout the weekends to see what sort of content made players feel more immersed and connected with their Sims.

With that said, the development of the game is definitely lackluster. We are only on the 7th Sims 4 Expansion Pack during its 5-year stay with us. Previous sequels have had a lot more content pushed through within a shorter time frame. I can't speak for everyone but I am positively sure that most of the hardcore players of The Sims are at least 25 years and above. The nostalgic feel of experiencing what we have had in previous sequels without the need of paying content separated into a different game or stuff packs would be a relief.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited August 2019
    marcel21 wrote: »

we were talking about expansion packs!
    What packs do I feel are worth the price,

get to work
    three fully in depth active careers
    retail and the ability to sell anything in the whole game and its perks
    aliens
    photography
    bakery's and the skill and all the recipes

I also like parts of

seasons
    cats&dogs
    get together

least favorite
    city living
    get famous
    island living

if you want to start talking about facts its a fact that get to work provides more than get famous as an expansion pack
    based on the facts that get famous offers only
    acting
    and fame for other careers
    12 lots
    for this reason I say FACT!
    and call get famous a gloried game pack.

Get To Work had 5 lots, 9 if you count the career lots plus hidden world. I do like Get To Work quite a bit as well, arguably my favorite one of them all. Get Famous fame system overarks across numerous skills and careers, that is the core of this Expansion. In fact fame and acting was why the pack was made. Complaining about those things, is like complaining why the water is wet and why the sun shines. No, it is not fact, it is your personal option you are trying to present as fact. If you think it is lacking when comparing to other expansion, sure, but objectively speaking Get Famous provides more gameplay than any game pack sims 4 has to date. Island Living however, provides only a tiny fraction more gameplay when comparing to Selvadorada. Island Living main attraction is hands down the world, which is arguably the best one in Sims 4 right now. It would have been better, if they made 2/3 of Sulani environment be impacted. Mermaids should have been a bit more fleshed out with their own separate hidden lot. When comparing directly with aliens, aliens have a bit more attention to details, like alien bassinet, their own urn ( I did not have a mermaid die in my game yet, so I have no idea if they get a distinct one, so correct me if I am wrong). You could argue singing should have been expanded on, but singing was a part of City Living, honestly I have no idea how they should have approached it besides adding more songs a sim could sing. They did add ability for sims to mix their own tracks, which I forgot about, so they did add something for the music.

If you do not like Get Famous, it is fine, different strokes for different folks. No need to get all defensive over your option, I am not trying to convince you to like the pack. I am just pointing out, falsely stating that option is fact, devalues a well made pack. When expansions like City Living and now Island Living, which are actually quite shallow ( I could add get together as well, but it's saving grace is the extensive and indepth club system, which overarcks across all packs), are overlooked.

This again,
    for the last time.

get famous expansion pack offers,

1.twelfth lot world.
    2.one full acting active.
    3.fame and perks.
    4.content

get to work expansion pack offers

1. 4 lot world,3 hidden lots
    2. hospital active open career
    3. police active open career
    4. scientists open active career
    5. retail and perks
    6. bakery
    7. clothing shops
    8. aliens, including there very own hidden lot, that you can travel to.
    9. content
    10. photo gallery shop.
    11. you can sell anything in the game

no idea why you seem to believe this is false information.

look at this list above. so yes, it is in fact a bigger pack than get famous. you don't agree fine. still have no idea why you can't see that.

Anyway I am just stating the obvious.

we are just going round and round in circles with this discussion.

Post edited by marcel21 on
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Did they actually say Island Living was supposed to be a Game Pack?

Wonder what they added after that point to make it qualify (in their minds) as an Expansion Pack.

I think players said that - not Maxis seeing Maxis said we had one gme pack, one ep, and one sp coming tells me it was always designed to be a ep - as they had Moschino sp, Realm of Magic GP, and Island living being worked on slotted for each of those packs. It did not change what it was designed to be from what I can see - the world alone tells you that.

@Writin_Reg the world is not that big, its almost the same size as Strangerville, which is a GP.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Did they actually say Island Living was supposed to be a Game Pack?

Wonder what they added after that point to make it qualify (in their minds) as an Expansion Pack.

I think players said that - not Maxis seeing Maxis said we had one gme pack, one ep, and one sp coming tells me it was always designed to be a ep - as they had Moschino sp, Realm of Magic GP, and Island living being worked on slotted for each of those packs. It did not change what it was designed to be from what I can see - the world alone tells you that.

@Writin_Reg the world is not that big, its almost the same size as Strangerville, which is a GP.

It is bigger than the EP world in Get Famous.

Sims 4 the world size really does not seem to determine the kind of pack it is.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't care how big it is or whether it is an EP or GP. I am getting a lot of enjoyment and play from it at the moment.
    I suppose it comes from having to play with bricks and boxes as a kid. It does help develop the imagination. :) .
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    I don't know enough to know where development is in TS4, but after multiple expansions, dozens DLCS + stuff packs, it doesn't seem all that surprising things are winding down. But other projects within EA could have a knock on effect down the line on other games already released and with a regular content cycles that are starting to get noticed.

Anthem came out earlier in the year and it might not be surprised to hear that Maxis staff were assigned to Bioware to complete that project and TS4 suffered a bit for it. Who knows. It might also be possible that EA could be closing the book on TS4.

It is hard to know what is what really. Recklessly speculating is only going to cause trouble. If EA have anything to say about it in an official announcement in due course, then you'll obviously know for sure. Might be best to have a little patience for the moment.

They've said recently and many times there is atleast 2 to 3 more years of content to TS4. TS4 isn't going anywhere any time soon.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited July 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    I don't care how big it is or whether it is an EP or GP. I am getting a lot of enjoyment and play from it at the moment.
    I suppose it comes from having to play with bricks and boxes as a kid. It does help develop the imagination. :) .

there is plenty of imagination and creativity within a sims game. just not enough in island living and get famous as far as i am conserved.

i create sims, I have saved games 2 years old I have built houses for every single sims game.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2019
    This discussion has gone further than I thought it would. Interesting results; 61:90!
    I think what made TS2 so memorable was the lack of moodlets. Every reaction and feeling had to be visual.
  • Options
    thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2019
    [double-posted by accident, sorry ^^:]