Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has TS4 development taken a noticeable downturn in 2019?

Comments

• Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Right now, EA has total Monopoly over this game series. There are no other games out there like The Sims, so EA going to keep doing what they want to and as long as we keep buy it, nothing going to change. Until some game (companies) comes along that is equal to or similar to The Sims then EA may start to step up...
    “absolute power corrupts absolutely“

Hope Paralives can make them feel pressured to make better DLCs
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I’ve written about this many times very much in depth so I’ll simplify it here. From the end of 2015 to the end of 2017 sims 4 was in it’s prime. We got Vampires, Parenthood, City Living, Get Together, Cats & Dogs, etc... there was basically something for everyone and the game was doing really well. Well, 2018 starts and ver since it’s been basic. Quite boring. Especially now with the redesign (that blue is seriously disgusting) ts4 is just not looking good anymore. Also, keep in mind this is just MY OPINION AND MY WAY OF THINKING ABOUT IT. I think it’s only gotten worse from Jan 2018 - present (July 2019)

I think it's quite the opposite actually. In 2018 we got Seasons and Get Famous. In my opinion they are both the best EP's for TS4, especially when it comes to replayability. We also got Jungle Adventure which is a bit repetitive (especially thanks to the world since there's only one path to the temple and only one temple) but not that bad as a GP. And they added the terrain tools, huge thing for TS4 considering we all thought that was an impossible achievement in this game. It was the game's best year after the toddler release.

Back in 2015-2017 I really felt like the game was dying, the content was really stale and didn't live up to anyone's expectations. It just so happens though, that this year we are back to that same stale content with Strangerville and Island Living. Realm of Magic might change that though....depends what gameplay the pack offers.

Yeah, but I'm just tired of TS4 overall. Tired to always have a few good dlcs and then BAM downfall over and over again. I just miss the time where packs were always on point, even if you didn't like something it was always well done and complete.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    Right now, EA has total Monopoly over this game series. There are no other games out there like The Sims, so EA going to keep doing what they want to and as long as we keep buy it, nothing going to change. Until some game (companies) comes along that is equal to or similar to The Sims then EA may start to step up...
    “absolute power corrupts absolutely

Yes...absolutely!
  • Options
    wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »

It's more likely that EA will do everything they can to kill Paralives before it can be developed and released.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    wamayeli wrote: »

It's more likely that EA will do everything they can to kill Paralives before it can be developed and released.

doubt it. they didnt do anything to prevent cities skylines from becoming a thing.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »

doubt it. they didnt do anything to prevent cities skylines from becoming a thing.

Of course they didn't they had already closed down the Sim City studios and what's more they sell Cities Skyline on Origin - without having to do any of the work.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited July 2019

Not from what I see. Paralives looks like a mobile game for pc. It needs to look way better than it does to phase a serious Simmer. From what is rumored the game being worked on is the whole game and not really like the Sims anyway with eps and such. Don't know how true that is - but doesn't look like real competition to me. Well maybe for Stardew Valley - but not the Sims anyway. I never bothered by Stardew Valley so I'm not sure what that means.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member

@Writin_Reg Totally agree. Too many serious Simmers out there who enjoy various aspects of the game. With all the amazing Custom Content out there and Modders that enrich the game--I very seriously doubt anything can compete with the Sims 4.

Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Not a Sims4 fan, but I would have to say no. The team has put out some great content lately and finally, there are choices. For me, the thing that's missing from Sims4 that 3 had is choices. When I open my vanilla Sims3, there are so many directions that I could go that it's exciting. It had many choices for jobs and many more were added. I like Sims 4 GTW and owning stores and restaurants, but there are several jobs that could give simmers lots of options. Farming, University, and collecting, hobbies, and skills will further open up Sims4. A winter lodge, a cruise ship, opening up playable jobs would give even more play options.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

It'smore likely that EA will do everything they can to kill Paralives before it can be developed and released.

Build mode in Paralives B)

I hope it gets finished, happily pay for build mode alone in that new simulation game
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    cheescaeks wrote: »

It's more likely that EA will do everything they can to kill paralives before it can be developed and released.

its about time we got a new game, the sims 4 seems to be staying for at least 3/4 years
    paralives looks B)

• Options
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg Totally agree. Too many serious Simmers out there who enjoy various aspects of the game. With all the amazing Custom Content out there and Modders that enrich the game--I very seriously doubt anything can compete with the Sims 4.

True, it only competition is the sims 3

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »

Not for the moment.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    RustyCicuitRustyCicuit Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2019
    marcel21 wrote: »

we were talking about expansion packs!
    What packs do I feel are worth the price,

get to work
    three fully in depth active careers
    retail and the ability to sell anything in the whole game and its perks
    aliens
    photography
    bakery's and the skill and all the recipes

I also like parts of

seasons
    cats&dogs
    get together

least favorite
    city living
    get famous
    island living

if you want to start talking about facts its a fact that get to work provides more than get famous as an expansion pack
    based on the facts that get famous offers only
    acting
    and fame for other careers
    12 lots
    for this reason I say FACT!
    and call get famous a gloried game pack.

Get To Work had 5 lots, 9 if you count the career lots plus hidden world. I do like Get To Work quite a bit as well, arguably my favorite one of them all. Get Famous fame system overarks across numerous skills and careers, that is the core of this Expansion. In fact fame and acting was why the pack was made. Complaining about those things, is like complaining why the water is wet and why the sun shines. No, it is not fact, it is your personal option you are trying to present as fact. If you think it is lacking when comparing to other expansion, sure, but objectively speaking Get Famous provides more gameplay than any game pack sims 4 has to date. Island Living however, provides only a tiny fraction more gameplay when comparing to Selvadorada. Island Living main attraction is hands down the world, which is arguably the best one in Sims 4 right now. It would have been better, if they made 2/3 of Sulani environment be impacted. Mermaids should have been a bit more fleshed out with their own separate hidden lot. When comparing directly with aliens, aliens have a bit more attention to details, like alien bassinet, their own urn ( I did not have a mermaid die in my game yet, so I have no idea if they get a distinct one, so correct me if I am wrong). You could argue singing should have been expanded on, but singing was a part of City Living, honestly I have no idea how they should have approached it besides adding more songs a sim could sing. They did add ability for sims to mix their own tracks, which I forgot about, so they did add something for the music.

If you do not like Get Famous, it is fine, different strokes for different folks. No need to get all defensive over your option, I am not trying to convince you to like the pack. I am just pointing out, falsely stating that option is fact, devalues a well made pack. When expansions like City Living and now Island Living, which are actually quite shallow ( I could add get together as well, but it's saving grace is the extensive and indepth club system, which overarcks across all packs), are overlooked.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    dfstone wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Nope. People just get more entitled and selfish.

I kind of agree. They have released more free content for Sims 4 than they did for Sims 2 and 3 combined.
    A lot of those free updates were just playing catch-up with stuff we should have had at launch. It took us 3 years to get toddlers. We're still missing important things.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    I don't think so.. I think there's plenty of people who love this game and continue to support it.

The packs are DIFFERENT from TS3, TS2, TS1. It's an entirely different game, so of course the packs are going to feel different from TS3. The packs for TS4 have all been worth it for me personally. (Besides My First Pet stuff, that one was so stupid. And the BB/CAS content was terrible.)

I do agree with packs feeling rushed, not as polished, and with loads of bugs on release.
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »

I kind of agree. They have released more free content for Sims 4 than they did for Sims 2 and 3 combined.
    A lot of those free updates were just playing catch-up with stuff we should have had at launch. It took us 3 years to get toddlers. We're still missing important things.

Things like what? Besides university, which expands on school system I think everything else is pretty much covered. I personally miss supernatural life states, but Make Magic comes this fall, so it is good in my book.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    marcel21 wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »
    Yes. Maybe it's cuz they see that the sales for TS4 have been really good. :\

bad games can sell well

Yep look at Minecraft, Stardew Valley - to me those are horrible games that sells like crazy. I don't get it at all. But people like what they like - so be it. I just happen to like all the Sims game regardless of how you feel. Just like some of the packs you liked - well to me they are far from my own Favs - Island living for one is a fav of mine - that you do not like at all. So to each their own. What I see of paralives - well don't like it at all. Reminds me of a comic book. Good for a quick time killer but when I really want a good book or spend time reading it would not be my book of choice. So games are pretty much dependent on a persons taste, and my taste buds love the Sims games when it comes to games. I am not big on the pretend to be a Sims game kind of game - I have learned not one yet comes close to the Sims in what I personally like.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Gordy wrote: »

And they are continuing to add them. For free.

Yes, TS4 started slim, because the devs were asked to repurpose a game initially intended to be developed in a different direction. I think EA was wise not to go for the multiplayer market, and was wise to re-invest those assets elsewhere. Is it ideal? Of course not. But if they had had to start from scratch with TS4, we might only just be getting it now. And I think that those 3 years on Toddlers were well spent - they are far better in TS4 than they were in TS3.

I also feel like a lot of the subtleties of Emotion and Trait interactions are overlooked. My Sims do unpremeditated, but appropriate, things all the time. Aspirations are far more engaging than Lifetime Wishes, and don't just leave a Sim directionless when completed. TS4 is different from prior versions, but I don't think it's worse. And I don't miss newspapers, or burglars, or really anything so much that I feel the game hasn't delivered.

They're still rolling stuff out. Okay, base game was thin at launch - that's why I didn't buy it. But even just base game sees updates! Not just paywall DLC (which I do not at all resent - packs are part and parcel of The Sims and I like that I can pick and choose). That's great! You don't need to invest in DLC to get new options, as time goes on. Even if that is originally because base got pushed out the door early, it's still a good thing.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    It’s had a few bad months, but everything does. I really like Strangerville. I also like Island Living though I admit that I’m a little disappointed by the lack of underwater lots and all the bugs.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited July 2019

That literally means nothing - the only thing we should compare is the actual content in each game, not what EA rushes out in patches like half eaten promises from a too-big cupcake machine. Sims4 doesn't have half the content previous games have, and it's been 5 years. When are simmers gonna stop making excuses for EA and start seeing what they're doing? Enjoying the game doesn't exclude your from the ability of being honest about what is happening, and what's been happening. The truth is, they haven't released enough updates for Sims 4 - they're behind in all aspects of the game compared to previous iterations, with only a few exceptions.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »

That literally means nothing - the only thing we should compare is the actual content in each game, not what EA rushes out in patches like half eaten promises from a too-big cupcake machine. Sims4 doesn't have half the content previous games have, and it's been 5 years. When are simmers gonna stop making excuses for EA and start seeing what they're doing? Enjoying the game doesn't exclude your from the ability of being honest about what is happening, and what's been happening. The truth is, they haven't released enough updates for Sims 4 - they're behind in all aspects of the game compared to previous iterations, with only a few exceptions.

Can you say what exactly sims 4 base game is missing when compared to other instalments? Sims 3 base game has appalling lack of meshes all across the board, gameplay wise the only leg up is available swimming in ocean, otherwise there is not a lot to do. I have not played sims 2, but I doubt the base game offers all that much as well. Would be nice to see a list of missing features.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hmm, not really. I agree Island Living looks shallow & disappointing and I'm not interested in Strangerville apart from the CAS & Build Mode stuff. But Get Famous (apart from shortage of lots & toilets) is probably the best EP, better than Seasons and even Get Together. And the new careers, part time jobs for all and trait randomiser are great. So despite the rebranding, the year comes out y ahead so far. They can do good things in TS4 when EA allows them too.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited July 2019

Can you say what exactly sims 4 base game is missing when compared to other instalments? Sims 3 base game has appalling lack of meshes all across the board, gameplay wise the only leg up is available swimming in ocean, otherwise there is not a lot to do. I have not played sims 2, but I doubt the base game offers all that much as well. Would be nice to see a list of missing features.
    Oh my friend, you don't even know. Also I was comparing the games 5 years in, not base game per se. But Sims 2 base game was lightyears ahead of Sims 4 just in animations alone. The Sims 2 takes leaps and bounds in depth and gameplay with each expansion, because everything is customizable and expanded upon. The only thing that Sims 2 doesn't have is Sims 4 CAS and Sims 3 open world and colour wheel, otherwise it's pretty much superior to both games IMO (I know a lot of people thinks Sims 3 is the best, but this is my experience we're talking about).
    The 'new' feature that Sims 4 has is active careers, which is a neat concept but not well executed at all.
    Honestly, if we had an upgrade for Sims 2 so it became 64 bit, I'd go back to that game and never look back.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Oh my friend, you don't even know. Also I was comparing the games 5 years in, not base game per se. But Sims 2 base game was lightyears ahead of Sims 4 just in animations alone. The Sims 2 takes leaps and bounds in depth and gameplay with each expansion, because everything is customizable and expanded upon. The only thing that Sims 2 doesn't have is Sims 4 CAS and Sims 3 open world and colour wheel, otherwise it's pretty much superior to both games IMO (I know a lot of people thinks Sims 3 is the best, but this is my experience we're talking about).
    The 'new' feature that Sims 4 has is active careers, which is a neat concept but not well executed at all.
    Honestly, if we had an upgrade for Sims 2 so it became 64 bit, I'd go back to that game and never look back.

I have no experience with sims 2 so I can not say much. As for sims 3, the thing with open world was, you were locked into one single world thru your entire gameplay. They did patch in the ability to move households to new worlds later, but you lost all relationships with townies. Sims 3 world was mostly rabbit holes, especially base game and first few expansions. I never found apeal in watching my sims drive to work and then disappear in endless rabbit holes for x amount of hours. As for color wheel, sims 3 as mentioned has appalling lack of meshes in buy and build mode, all the color wheel did was mask it somewhat. One needed good three expansions and two stuff packs to get some diversity, or mod the hell out of it. I did like the hair color wheel part, not going to lie, basically color wheel was masking missing things for the most part in early stages of the games development. Overall the games performance issues is what killed it for me. I do not care how many features the game has, and how many things my sims can do, when I cannot even open it 4 expansions in.

Sims 2 undeniably has charm to it, but to be honest my personal all time favorite is sims 1, there just was something about it and funnily enough I find sims 4 is closer to sims 1 then either 2 or 3. Yes, including the much hated loading screens, remind me of sims 1.