Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A mysterious expansion pack coming in June 2019

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Jean wrote: »
    Where does this immediate assumption of an EP come from? Honestly, it's dropping the 32bit support... it's a money saving thing tbh, and basically all PCs bought these days have 64bit by default. But alright, we'll see I guess.

Dropping 32 bit and adding Legacy seems like a big update that would come in an expansion pre patch.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Jean wrote: »
    Where does this immediate assumption of an EP come from? Honestly, it's dropping the 32bit support... it's a money saving thing tbh, and basically all PCs bought these days have 64bit by default. But alright, we'll see I guess.

Dropping 32 bit and adding Legacy seems like a big update that would come in an expansion pre patch.

Legacy is a completely separate game. Those who must continue playing the legacy edition will have to uninstall their current version of Sims 4 and download the 32bit legacy version. Nothing is being added to our games to accommodate that, and realistically the only thing a patch is going to do is remove the 32bit version from everyone’s computer. No EP required, although their wording does make it seem like something will be released in June. However that’s just when the LE releases so there’s no saying one way or another if something is going to come out other than the 32bit legacy edition.
  • Options
    Smoky1967Smoky1967 Posts: 41 Member
    Personally I would rather see a "we fixed all the bugs" pack lol, but seriously, I'm sure I will love it, whatever it is.
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    They might announce the next pack sooner than we thought, EA isnt going to host a conference at this coming E3.

The Sims Game
  • Options
    Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    edited March 2019
    Supporting 32bit, they have to restrict themselves to what 32bit can do. They can't make anything that works on 64bit but doesn't work on 32bit. So currently it is a 32bit game with optionalö 64bit support that doesn't really do anything besides allow the game to use more RAM.
    Dropping 32bit, they can start adding features 32bit is unable to support.

The entire speculation here is based on the assumption that they'll give such a feature to us right as the patch comes out that drops 32bit.
    I have no idea how likely this is, but I think it's very likely that they plan to release such a feature or features, whatever that may be, eventually.

I could see it being a campus world with a small number of very big lots. One of them may even exceed 64x64. But that's just speculation. Don't base your hopes and dreams on it.

On the topic of farming packs, I think adding animals would be done in the object-creature kind of way so that cows and chicken would be tied to their coops and pens just like babies to their cribs. That way, they'd still have to animate the animals, but wouldn't have to worry about adding complicated AI.
    While pigs fit thematically, how would you depict a sim collecting sellable or eatable items from a pig? They'd have to imply that your Sim kills an animal offscreen and comes out of the hut or the rabbit hole with a piece of ham, steak or bacon in his inventory. Maybe they can do that in a way that keeps it childish, silly and funny, but I don't see how this is possible.
    So I don't think Pigs are going to be a thing.
    Horses perhaps, as they are highly requested, but as you can't take them off the lot to ride, as they would be animated objects just as well.
    For proper farming experience, you'd need a huge lot and a way to plant, water, get rid of pests, evolve and harvest 12 plants at once or more, so you actually have fields of crops. I don't think any farmer tends to each grain of wheat on his field individually as you do with plants in your garden.
    If we get a farming pack at all, I hope we get a bunch of off the grid gameplay with it.
    Off the grid stuff would also fit for a post-apocalypse kind of pack, but I doubt they'll ever do that.
    Post edited by Armilus616 on
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath for horses. They're really expensive to make (if they were like TS3 horses) and it's difficult to find a pack theme to put them in it. Some people say horses could come with a farming EP, but is it really a good idea to make a farming EP, and then proceed to spend over half of its budget on just horses?

To be completely honest, horses are the last animal that would make sense for a farming pack. I don’t know why people always put farming and horses hand in hand; cows, pigs, and chickens are WAY more common than horses on a ‘farm’.

I live in the Midwest, there’s farms literally everywhere you go. From my experience people who own horses aren’t farmers, and farmers don’t make their living off of owning horses. I would rather have a farm pack that was about farming than some equestrian farm pack, although farming isn’t all that high on my wish list.

I loved the Idea of farming originally However I think the way that the engen is for the Sims 4 a farming EP would not work that well perhaps ( if fhey bring back the open world) in the Sims 5 I can see that working Personaly I am a hoping for a university pack with a Lecturer career path ( active) or perhaps a island paradise pack.
  • Options
    Armilus616 wrote: »
    Supporting 32bit, they have to restrict themselves to what 32bit can do. They can't make anything that works on 64bit but doesn't work on 32bit. So currently it is a 32bit game with optionalö 64bit support that doesn't really do anything besides allow the game to use more RAM.

The entire speculation here is based on the assumption that they'll give such a feature to us right as the patch comes out that drops 32bit.
    I have no idea how likely this is, but I think it's very likely that they plan to release such a feature or features, whatever that may be, eventually.

I could see it being a campus world with a small number of very big lots. One of them may even exceed 64x64. But that's just speculation. Don't base your hopes and dreams on it.

On the topic of farming packs, I think adding animals would be done in the object-creature kind of way so that cows and chicken would be tied to their coops and pens just like babies to their cribs. That way, they'd still have to animate the animals, but wouldn't have to worry about adding complicated AI.
    While pigs fit thematically, how would you depict a sim collecting sellable or eatable items from a pig? They'd have to imply that your Sim kills an animal offscreen and comes out of the hut or the rabbit hole with a piece of ham, steak or bacon in his inventory. Maybe they can do that in a way that keeps it childish, silly and funny, but I don't see how this is possible.
    Horses perhaps, as they are highly requested, but as you can't take them off the lot to ride, as they would be animated objects just as well.
    For proper farming experience, you'd need a huge lot and a way to plant, water, get rid of pests, evolve and harvest 12 plants at once or more, so you actually have fields of crops. I don't think any farmer tends to each grain of wheat on his field individually as you do with plants in your garden.
    If we get a farming pack at all, I hope we get a bunch of off the grid gameplay with it.
    Off the grid stuff would also fit for a post-apocalypse kind of pack, but I doubt they'll ever do that.

You click a button and they vanish leaving you with simoleons and/or meat. No one is asking for a virtual slauterhouse, they can call it whatever they want to distance themselves from the reality of it, but animals are farmed for food. I don’t see anything inappropriate about that, it’s not like parents are sheltering kids from that.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

You click a button and they vanish leaving you with simoleons and/or meat. No one is asking for a virtual slauterhouse, they can call it whatever they want to distance themselves from the reality of it, but animals are farmed for food. I don’t see anything inappropriate about that, it’s not like parents are sheltering kids from that.

I think that would disturb a lot of adult Simmers - quite a lot are vegetarian and/or animal lovers. I expect that you would sell your grown pigs for simoleons, not bacon. Or, they might skip pigs altogether, unless you could breed different varieties of pet pigs. Sheep, cows and hens can all produce sellable items without slaughter, but you can only raise a pig for meat or as a pet. (Cues Babe and Wilbur.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    pigs could find things like in stardew valley
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2019

its not that its inappropriate its that sims don't really kill anything @drake_mccarty it would raise the rating
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

I think that would disturb a lot of adult Simmers - quite a lot are vegetarian and/or animal lovers. I expect that you would sell your grown pigs for simoleons, not bacon. Or, they might skip pigs altogether, unless you could breed different varieties of pet pigs. Sheep, cows and hens can all produce sellable items without slaughter, but you can only raise a pig for meat or as a pet. (Cues Babe and Wilbur.)

Stardew Valley for example uses pigs to let you find truffles (technically truffles just appear on your farm once you have pigs, but I think most people here get the connection between pigs and truffles)

I remember a SimGuru mentioning they have to consider how they would approach the aspect of meat because obviously they wouldn't do anything graphic (not even our cats and dogs can die from anything else besides old age), but there are definitely options available to skip the meat part and still include pigs.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I wonder if going 64bit will allow more Sims per household? This would be useful in a University or Farming world and more realistic.
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I wonder if going 64bit will allow more Sims per household? This would be useful in a University or Farming world and more realistic.

I would love that, but seems like that won't happen :(
  • Options

I would love that, but seems like that won't happen :(

It can be done if you use a mod. I just expect they don't want to bother with it as it is too much time, expense and trouble for them. TwistedMexi has found a way with his mod (up to 24).I haven't tried it out though.

I was hoping it might come with University or Farming now we are going only 64bit. Grant couldn't say in January what would happen in June.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    As far as I know, Twisted Mexis mod has it's shortcomings. You cannot go to CAS unless you want random Sims of your household to vanish. There are options with MCC that help against those shortcomings though.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Still hoping for a little magic and a new life state over here. (ie Something not temporary, something you can create in CAS, and something that has abilities that make it distinct from other Sims, not just looks different or has different needs.)

If we do end up getting farming and horses, can we at least get unicorns?

That might be a slim possibility if when we get farming it comes in a medieval expansion. I could also see the possibility of witches and/or dragons with such a pack, and off the grid living. However that is a lot to ask from just one expansion. I certainly want to see us be able to see farm animals we can raise, take care of, sell, and use for food.
  • Options

Stardew Valley for example uses pigs to let you find truffles (technically truffles just appear on your farm once you have pigs, but I think most people here get the connection between pigs and truffles)

I remember a SimGuru mentioning they have to consider how they would approach the aspect of meat because obviously they wouldn't do anything graphic (not even our cats and dogs can die from anything else besides old age), but there are definitely options available to skip the meat part and still include pigs.

Wouldn't they have to leave their pens for the truffle hunt?
    Sheep would make much more sense instead of pigs.
    Milk from cows, eggs from chicken, wool from sheep.
    If all farm animals are big versions of the crib with the baby or the bee box, then that may actually be enough in the animals' department.
    No matter if you just take the meat out of the hut and that's it, just as if it were eggs from a chicken, the implication of slaughtering is still there.
    If I were in charge of creating a Farming EP for Sims 4, I'd play it safe and don't add pigs, but I'd consider Llamas who could spit at your Sims.
  • Options

If all farm animals are big versions of the crib with the baby or the bee box, then that may actually be enough in the animals' department.
    No matter if you just take the meat out of the hut and that's it, just as if it were eggs from a chicken, the implication of slaughtering is still there.
    If I were in charge of creating a Farming EP for Sims 4, I'd play it safe and don't add pigs, but I'd consider Llamas who could spit at your Sims.

I would prefer them to put the animals in and let us play our game in our own way. EA/Maxis are always going to put things in a 13plus friendly way anyway and probably very PC.
  • Options

I would prefer them to put the animals in and let us play our game in our own way. EA/Maxis are always going to put things in a 13plus friendly way anyway and probably very PC.

I'm sure that there will be a mod where you can murder animals to death with all the blood and gore you could possibly want.
  • Options

No offense, but you can’t be serious. I don’t think many adults would find it disturbing at all. People aren’t that sensitive.
  • Options

its not that its inappropriate its that sims don't really kill anything @drake_mccarty it would raise the rating

Sims can neglect their rodents and they will die. Still rated T.
  • Options

I'm sure that there will be a mod where you can murder animals to death with all the blood and gore you could possibly want.

We accept burning Sims to death, drowning them, vampires sucking Sims' blood and it is accepted in game. I hold my hands up. I have done that but never let vampires get my Sims. Simmers live in a fantasy world and a bit more realism might gain a few more vegetarians for you. A lot of children in the UK don't even know what the names of vegetables are and many don't know how their food comes to the table. In some countries animals are a vital food source as vegetables cannot be grown there.

I come from farming stock myself and agree that there should be humane methods rigorously applied. You cannot change things overnight. China killed off millions of birds because they thought they ate all the crops (Kill Sparrows Campaign) and 30 Million people died in the ensuing famine.
  • Options
    ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    I honestly think it will be a vacation pack for the summer.

However, I think it would be interesting to mix tropical vacation and farming tbh. Usually when thinking of vacations, it’s all nice and luxurious, very tourist-like, but usually there’s the countryside that is often not seen by tourists as well, with local farmers markets and fish markets. Little fruit carts by the road. You can learn a lot more about the local culture/customs that way too. I did something similar to that in sims 3 and I had an equestrian living in the tropical world lol it’s an interesting mix. Sims 2 also allowed us to learn various things from each culture, new gestures, foods, dances, and greetings. Would be cool to bring that back as well like they did in the jungle adventure.

So maybe going with the district idea of the upscale tourist area on half of the island, with resorts, beautiful beaches, tanning booths, beach parties, cruise/houseboats/boats, scuba diving, etc. then the other half of the island is the countryside with big lots for farming and ranches.
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• Options
    BrocNoodleBrocNoodle Posts: 28 Member
    I would love something like the university pack. It added a of different game play for me.