Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A mysterious expansion pack coming in June 2019

Comments

• Options
    SinaMegapolisSinaMegapolis Posts: 244 Member
    I still don't think the changing of reqiurements is any related to future Paid Content. If they wanted to do this for the purpose of handling paid content they would do this with City Living and/or Cats and Dogs (the heaviest of DLCs currently available for ts4)

They are probably doing it to reduce the cost of maintaining the 32 bit version of ts4 (their excuse? "Apple is dropping 32 bit support for MacOS. we might as well drop support for windows!"). This way they can also use the resources spent on testing new content on 32 bit computers on other things. which hopefully means future content are a little bit better than now in terms of quality.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Tropical Vacation or University ?
  • Options
    Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Processing power and threading have more to do with how much your processor can do. A processor that can handle more threads at the same time is obviously more powerful (assuming that a program takes advantage of multithreading, which I guess most modern programs do)

(Threads in this case are like mini-programs that can be done side-by-side. For example, TS4 could have one thread handle aging for all sims in your save file, while another thread handles your sim's moodlets)

Higher CPU bitness just means that your machine can handle more RAM (32-bit has a 4 GB hard limit) and that software with a higher bitness can process larger numbers (which, for practical purposes, isn't really needed by video games).

Having more RAM makes a lot of difference though, especially with a data-heavy game like The Sims 4. :) Just ask The Sims 3 and the horrors of error code 12 :joy:

Thank you.
    So something that takes more RAM than those 4GB, then?
    What does that translate to?
  • Options
    Armilus616 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Processing power and threading have more to do with how much your processor can do. A processor that can handle more threads at the same time is obviously more powerful (assuming that a program takes advantage of multithreading, which I guess most modern programs do)

(Threads in this case are like mini-programs that can be done side-by-side. For example, TS4 could have one thread handle aging for all sims in your save file, while another thread handles your sim's moodlets)

Higher CPU bitness just means that your machine can handle more RAM (32-bit has a 4 GB hard limit) and that software with a higher bitness can process larger numbers (which, for practical purposes, isn't really needed by video games).

Having more RAM makes a lot of difference though, especially with a data-heavy game like The Sims 4. :) Just ask The Sims 3 and the horrors of error code 12 :joy:

Thank you.

Basically it translate to the need for more caching memory.
    Which basically translates to more dynamic mechanics. (new minigames, more animations played in less time, dynamic textures etc)
    Which also translates to either better and more animations, new mechanics like scuba diving or ocean swimming, OR Create a Style.
    honestly it can mean a lot of things. Ranging from new type of world to ocean swimming to bigger lots to new mechanics to more parties etc etc. we can't really speculate based on the need for using more RAM.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

Thank you.

More RAM = more space to process data while running the game. The closest equivalent to RAM would be a human's short-term memory. The more sims present at a given time, the more RAM is needed for the game to "remember" all of their data, like their position in the world, their traits and outfits, etc. Same goes for objects. A bigger fully-furnished house would need more RAM to be properly displayed.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

The entirety of TS4’s simulation runs on one thread only (which is why simulation lag also occurs on high-end processors, since it’s incapable of taking advantage of more than one thread). The game only use other threads for things like render and sound.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member

Thank you.

More RAM = more space to process data while running the game. The closest equivalent to RAM would be a human's short-term memory. The more sims present at a given time, the more RAM is needed for the game to "remember" all of their data, like their position in the world, their traits and outfits, etc. Same goes for objects. A bigger fully-furnished house would need more RAM to be properly displayed.

So while I was wrong about the Why, I was right about the what?
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Considering how large UNI worlds have to be, I’m guessing it’ll be for university.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

The entirety of TS4’s simulation runs on one thread only (which is why simulation lag also occurs on high-end processors, since it’s incapable of taking advantage of more than one thread). The game only use other threads for things like render and sound.

Yeah, that was just an example. But assuming that's true, well, they really should've made a better game engine. 🤔

Thank you.

So while I was wrong about the Why, I was right about the what?

I think so
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    MrSunshine wrote: »
    The 64 bit only patch is surely a sign of the next EP coming in June, so now let's think what the pack will be. I know SimGuru said that we shouldn't compare this year's release model with the last year, but it is a good starting place.

Last year, we have 2 EPs released in one year for the first time. Seasons in first half of that year, and Get Famous in the second half. I guess why they choose Get Famous as the EP released in the second half because it is not a super popular theme, especially if we compare it to Seasons. So, what's the matter? Well, the second half of the year release time is close to the biggest sale time of the year: Christmas sale. So, maybe, they choose EP containing the not so popular theme so people who want to buy packs for themselves or their loved one will choose the newest pack that is Get Famous. Seasons don't need sale boost from Christmas season because its theme was predicted to be able to promote itself, compared with Get Famous.

Based on that prediction, we can guess that EP in June will contain theme that comparatively popular. University and Tropical Vacation is plausibly popular. If we go with familiarity, University will be chosen, but Tropical Vacation is time appropiated. Supernatural is too divisive and Farming as a concept of EP is too new.

But, honestly, i am hoping for Magic Pack.

Tropical could add sun tanning and lounge chairs.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I hope so
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited March 2019
  • Options

But here's the problem. It is not "the big" computer update. it's just kind of a bugfix patch that drops 32 bit support
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Judging from the world sizes of packs we already got, I doubt that we'll get a bigger world now as a reason for the June update. Almost every pack that came with a new world was criticized for that world being to small. I don't see why they should not go on with that.

I'm personally hoping they'll add horses, but then a lot of Simmers are saying the don't need them in a non-open world, so it could very well be that we won't get horses at all for TS4.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Judging from the world sizes of packs we already got, I doubt that we'll get a bigger world now as a reason for the June update. Almost every pack that came with a new world was criticized for that world being to small. I don't see why they should not go on with that.

I'm personally hoping they'll add horses, but then a lot of Simmers are saying the don't need them in a non-open world, so it could very well be that we won't get horses at all for TS4.

I really hope we get horses too. The lack of open world argument doesn't put me off at all, but then I don't see only horses as a means of transport. I still think a horse-riding skill would be great fun though, especially if we get show jumping rings, racing etc.
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »

I think horses can work pretty well if they introduce a country side world with bigger lots. World doesn't have to be a lot bigger compared to other worlds, just a different setup. The number of lots can be roughly the same.

I think they did great with Windenburg. The open area's are pretty big, they can do it like that again.

I am not a fan of horses, but I totally understand why people want them though. I think it can work fine with the way the game is at the moment.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    I wouldn't hold my breath for horses. They're really expensive to make (if they were like TS3 horses) and it's difficult to find a pack theme to put them in it. Some people say horses could come with a farming EP, but is it really a good idea to make a farming EP, and then proceed to spend over half of its budget on just horses?
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2019
    If we got a University pack, would it take the same format as Get Famous in that the university would load something like the Film Studio as a separate lot which students would have to get to by studying to the right level or as a separate University world?

I can't see it as a lot in a normal world but one with student apartments as the lots around it. Like Sims 2.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I wouldn't hold my breath for horses. They're really expensive to make (if they were like TS3 horses) and it's difficult to find a pack theme to put them in it. Some people say horses could come with a farming EP, but is it really a good idea to make a farming EP, and then proceed to spend over half of its budget on just horses?
    I'd say yes as we already have a gardening system in place a farming pack would have to have animals to draw people in horses being one of the most requested I've seen.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    MikeW1981MikeW1981 Posts: 6 New Member
    > @catloverplayer said:
    > 12JEREMIA wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > I just saw something on twitter. What I was thinking about a pack is this.
    >
    > The Sims 4 Tropical Paradise
    > A new beach world based on Spanish/Caribbean islands and Hawaii
    > New radio stations - Reggae and calypso
    > New harvestables - Pineapple and coconut
    > New dance moves - Hula dance
    > New objects - Lounge chairs and surfing station
    > New skills - Surfing, hula dancing
    > New aspirations - Surfer
    > New traits - Loves water, hates water
    >
    > What do you think the expansion will be for June 2019?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hope this is what it is plus with resorts,swimming in the ocean,beach activities and more pool items.

I honestly can't see the justification of an expansion on that. It doesn't really add any new functionality. Maybe it's a content pack?

What I miss in Sims 4 that was in Sims 3 is 2 big things; Horses and witches.

But what I think it will be? It's really the only expansion that Sims 4 doesn't have that Sims 3 had - University Life. If it's a full expansion I'll bet a silver dollar that's what it is.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

To be completely honest, horses are the last animal that would make sense for a farming pack. I don’t know why people always put farming and horses hand in hand; cows, pigs, and chickens are WAY more common than horses on a ‘farm’.

I live in the Midwest, there’s farms literally everywhere you go. From my experience people who own horses aren’t farmers, and farmers don’t make their living off of owning horses. I would rather have a farm pack that was about farming than some equestrian farm pack, although farming isn’t all that high on my wish list.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Animal animation in video games is much more advanced now so it might not be so difficult to add farm animals to packs. The only problem would be how many would be allowed on each lot if we had a farming pack. It could be improved by the 64bit only move though.

I think I found news and posted about one firm getting new ideas and expert at it working with EA. (on the BBC website).
  • Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Where does this immediate assumption of an EP come from? Honestly, it's dropping the 32bit support... it's a money saving thing tbh, and basically all PCs bought these days have 64bit by default. But alright, we'll see I guess.
  • Options
    Belliflowers3Belliflowers3 Posts: 560 Member
    I would probably love either a farming EP or a Superheros vs Villains ep-- Mostly the latter because I've always wanted that;;
  • Options
    BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    I am one of the many simmers who hopes the new pack in June is University lol