Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A mysterious expansion pack coming in June 2019

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2019
    Armilus616 wrote: »
    Supporting 32bit, they have to restrict themselves to what 32bit can do. They can't make anything that works on 64bit but doesn't work on 32bit. So currently it is a 32bit game with optionalö 64bit support that doesn't really do anything besides allow the game to use more RAM.
    Dropping 32bit, they can start adding features 32bit is unable to support.

The entire speculation here is based on the assumption that they'll give such a feature to us right as the patch comes out that drops 32bit.
    I have no idea how likely this is, but I think it's very likely that they plan to release such a feature or features, whatever that may be, eventually.

I could see it being a campus world with a small number of very big lots. One of them may even exceed 64x64. But that's just speculation. Don't base your hopes and dreams on it.

On the topic of farming packs, I think adding animals would be done in the object-creature kind of way so that cows and chicken would be tied to their coops and pens just like babies to their cribs. That way, they'd still have to animate the animals, but wouldn't have to worry about adding complicated AI.
    While pigs fit thematically, how would you depict a sim collecting sellable or eatable items from a pig? They'd have to imply that your Sim kills an animal offscreen and comes out of the hut or the rabbit hole with a piece of ham, steak or bacon in his inventory. Maybe they can do that in a way that keeps it childish, silly and funny, but I don't see how this is possible.
    So I don't think Pigs are going to be a thing.
    Horses perhaps, as they are highly requested, but as you can't take them off the lot to ride, as they would be animated objects just as well.
    For proper farming experience, you'd need a huge lot and a way to plant, water, get rid of pests, evolve and harvest 12 plants at once or more, so you actually have fields of crops. I don't think any farmer tends to each grain of wheat on his field individually as you do with plants in your garden.
    If we get a farming pack at all, I hope we get a bunch of off the grid gameplay with it.
    Off the grid stuff would also fit for a post-apocalypse kind of pack, but I doubt they'll ever do that.

You click a button and they vanish leaving you with simoleons and/or meat. No one is asking for a virtual slauterhouse, they can call it whatever they want to distance themselves from the reality of it, but animals are farmed for food. I don’t see anything inappropriate about that, it’s not like parents are sheltering kids from that.

its not that its inappropriate its that sims don't really kill anything @drake_mccarty it would raise the rating

Sims can neglect their rodents and they will die. Still rated T.

yes but they don't do it with intent I don't take issue with killing animals for meat I was raise on a farm myself I just don't think they would allow it in the sims @drake_mccarty
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I cant see them putting in butchering animals for meat unless they go to a rabbithole and coming back with it in their inventory ready to put in the fridge and cook.
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    Will these packs be on console.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I cant see them putting in butchering animals for meat unless they go to a rabbithole and coming back with it in their inventory ready to put in the fridge and cook.
    Which is totally fine but not giving the option in a farming pack when that's a huge part of farming is ridiculous.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Armilus616Armilus616 Posts: 683 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Supporting 32bit, they have to restrict themselves to what 32bit can do. They can't make anything that works on 64bit but doesn't work on 32bit. So currently it is a 32bit game with optionalö 64bit support that doesn't really do anything besides allow the game to use more RAM.

The entire speculation here is based on the assumption that they'll give such a feature to us right as the patch comes out that drops 32bit.
    I have no idea how likely this is, but I think it's very likely that they plan to release such a feature or features, whatever that may be, eventually.

I could see it being a campus world with a small number of very big lots. One of them may even exceed 64x64. But that's just speculation. Don't base your hopes and dreams on it.

On the topic of farming packs, I think adding animals would be done in the object-creature kind of way so that cows and chicken would be tied to their coops and pens just like babies to their cribs. That way, they'd still have to animate the animals, but wouldn't have to worry about adding complicated AI.
    While pigs fit thematically, how would you depict a sim collecting sellable or eatable items from a pig? They'd have to imply that your Sim kills an animal offscreen and comes out of the hut or the rabbit hole with a piece of ham, steak or bacon in his inventory. Maybe they can do that in a way that keeps it childish, silly and funny, but I don't see how this is possible.
    Horses perhaps, as they are highly requested, but as you can't take them off the lot to ride, as they would be animated objects just as well.
    For proper farming experience, you'd need a huge lot and a way to plant, water, get rid of pests, evolve and harvest 12 plants at once or more, so you actually have fields of crops. I don't think any farmer tends to each grain of wheat on his field individually as you do with plants in your garden.
    If we get a farming pack at all, I hope we get a bunch of off the grid gameplay with it.
    Off the grid stuff would also fit for a post-apocalypse kind of pack, but I doubt they'll ever do that.

You click a button and they vanish leaving you with simoleons and/or meat. No one is asking for a virtual slauterhouse, they can call it whatever they want to distance themselves from the reality of it, but animals are farmed for food. I don’t see anything inappropriate about that, it’s not like parents are sheltering kids from that.

I think that would disturb a lot of adult Simmers - quite a lot are vegetarian and/or animal lovers. I expect that you would sell your grown pigs for simoleons, not bacon. Or, they might skip pigs altogether, unless you could breed different varieties of pet pigs. Sheep, cows and hens can all produce sellable items without slaughter, but you can only raise a pig for meat or as a pet. (Cues Babe and Wilbur.)

Stardew Valley for example uses pigs to let you find truffles (technically truffles just appear on your farm once you have pigs, but I think most people here get the connection between pigs and truffles)

I remember a SimGuru mentioning they have to consider how they would approach the aspect of meat because obviously they wouldn't do anything graphic (not even our cats and dogs can die from anything else besides old age), but there are definitely options available to skip the meat part and still include pigs.

Wouldn't they have to leave their pens for the truffle hunt?
    Sheep would make much more sense instead of pigs.
    Milk from cows, eggs from chicken, wool from sheep.
    If all farm animals are big versions of the crib with the baby or the bee box, then that may actually be enough in the animals' department.
    No matter if you just take the meat out of the hut and that's it, just as if it were eggs from a chicken, the implication of slaughtering is still there.
    If I were in charge of creating a Farming EP for Sims 4, I'd play it safe and don't add pigs, but I'd consider Llamas who could spit at your Sims.

I would prefer them to put the animals in and let us play our game in our own way. EA/Maxis are always going to put things in a 13plus friendly way anyway and probably very PC.

I'm sure that there will be a mod where you can murder animals to death with all the blood and gore you could possibly want.

We accept burning Sims to death, drowning them, vampires sucking Sims' blood and it is accepted in game. I hold my hands up. I have done that but never let vampires get my Sims. Simmers live in a fantasy world and a bit more realism might gain a few more vegetarians for you. A lot of children in the UK don't even know what the names of vegetables are and many don't know how their food comes to the table. In some countries animals are a vital food source as vegetables cannot be grown there.

I come from farming stock myself and agree that there should be humane methods rigorously applied. You cannot change things overnight. China killed off millions of birds because they thought they ate all the crops (Kill Sparrows Campaign) and 30 Million people died in the ensuing famine.

In all of those cases, it is either an accident or something the player chooses to do. Never something a Sim does.
    There is no instance in the game where a sim deliberately ends a life, animal or otherwise. Unless you install mods like the extreme violence mod. Even with the military career, your Sim never takes a gun in his hands. (You can imagine they do while in the rabbit holes they work in, but you'll never see that, and I've never seen it being mentioned in a text.)
    Cats and Dogs can only die of old age.
    Adding the implication that your Sims kill someone or something, even if it is never shown or mentioned in a text, might actually have an effect on the rating. I'm not saying I agree with them not adding murder, suicide, 🐸🐸🐸🐸, animal abuse, drugs or alcohol to the game. But I get that they want to stick to their rating. I tried to convince them to call the Blood Vampires are drinking actually Blood rather than plasma. The response I got was basically that Vampires drinking blood is "Too Mature", but that plasma is a part of blood and that I should move on.

What I said about what I would do if I were responsible for creating a farming pack was about making it blend in with the base game and other packs as well as sticking to the rating. I worked on a farm for 2 years. I fed the pigs, cleaned the place they sleep in, cared for them, and watched as a little piglet bleeds to the death after my boss cut its neck open. It died a slow and painfull death at not even a week old.
    Just because it was born without toenails.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    Considering how large UNI worlds have to be, I’m guessing it’ll be for university.

Or farming, I assume a farming world will need to be larger too and will have more animations with farm animals.
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Considering how large UNI worlds have to be, I’m guessing it’ll be for university.

Or farming, I assume a farming world will need to be larger too and will have more animations with farm animals.

Or both. Just not both in June. Maybe not even both this year, but both eventually.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member

Off the grid would also fit with a farming Medieval pack. I don’t think there would be such a problem having pigs in a farming pack. We already have fish that can be eaten, and a ham or turkey in the great meal. They don’t have to show butchering the pigs, cows, goats, or chickens, they can do it the same way they do for fish. I think even most children know that the meat they eat were once live animals.

Off the grid would also fit with a farming Medieval pack. I don’t think there would be such a problem having pigs in a farming pack. We already have fish that can be eaten, and a ham or turkey in the great meal. They don’t have to show butchering the pigs, cows, goats, or chickens, they can do it the same way they do for fish. I think even most children know that the meat they eat were once live animals.

Off the grid would be the reason why I would buy a farming pack. Not the Animals.
    I can very well see Cows, Chicken and Sheep being added. But adding Pigs might be controversial.
    And about Kids knowing that meat was one a living animal: No, actually not. Many Kids have no idea that milk has anything to do with cows or that eggs have anything to do with chickens. They think all that just comes from the store, not having any idea where the store gets all of that from. I've met teenagers who never seen a forest up close IRL and didn't have an idea about cotton being a plant.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited March 2019

Off the grid would be the reason why I would buy a farming pack. Not the Animals.
    I can very well see Cows, Chicken and Sheep being added. But adding Pigs might be controversial.
    And about Kids knowing that meat was one a living animal: No, actually not. Many Kids have no idea that milk has anything to do with cows or that eggs have anything to do with chickens. They think all that just comes from the store, not having any idea where the store gets all of that from. I've met teenagers who never seen a forest up close IRL and didn't have an idea about cotton being a plant.

You are right about that and that is what worries me! It's the same in the UK in the inner cities. Other countries are better informed than us. It seems in the some countries (is that yours amongst them)? that large farming animals get sympathy but wild animals, fish and insects get killed for sport or just because they affect our comfort. Those who wish to inflict severe changes to farming methods without careful testing should look up the American "Dust Bowl" or forest clearing.

Apparently work is going on on creating artificial meat at the moment. Maxis could include that in a futuristic pack but would that lead to no cows, sheep or pigs anywhere because we don't need them anymore? They aren't pets.

• wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

I think that would disturb a lot of adult Simmers - quite a lot are vegetarian and/or animal lovers. I expect that you would sell your grown pigs for simoleons, not bacon. Or, they might skip pigs altogether, unless you could breed different varieties of pet pigs. Sheep, cows and hens can all produce sellable items without slaughter, but you can only raise a pig for meat or as a pet. (Cues Babe and Wilbur.)

Stardew Valley for example uses pigs to let you find truffles (technically truffles just appear on your farm once you have pigs, but I think most people here get the connection between pigs and truffles)

I remember a SimGuru mentioning they have to consider how they would approach the aspect of meat because obviously they wouldn't do anything graphic (not even our cats and dogs can die from anything else besides old age), but there are definitely options available to skip the meat part and still include pigs.

If all farm animals are big versions of the crib with the baby or the bee box, then that may actually be enough in the animals' department.
    No matter if you just take the meat out of the hut and that's it, just as if it were eggs from a chicken, the implication of slaughtering is still there.
    If I were in charge of creating a Farming EP for Sims 4, I'd play it safe and don't add pigs, but I'd consider Llamas who could spit at your Sims.

I think we're having different ideas about how they would implement animals. I always thought the animals would roam around freely on the lot, like cats and dogs - So yes, pigs would walk around and find truffles. But it seems like you think we might just get premade stables where the animals will stay in? You know, I never even considered that, but now I think that this might be the shortcut they would choose... (Grant mentioned it took them 1300 staff days to only get the walking animation for cats and dogs right, so God knows if we can even hope for all the farm animals to walk around.)

I think we're having different ideas about how they would implement animals. I always thought the animals would roam around freely on the lot, like cats and dogs - So yes, pigs would walk around and find truffles. But it seems like you think we might just get premade stables where the animals will stay in? You know, I never even considered that, but now I think that this might be the shortcut they would choose... (Grant mentioned it took them 1300 staff days to only get the walking animation for cats and dogs right, so God knows if we can even hope for all the farm animals to walk around.)

Given how much work it took to make Cats and Dogs, and how horses were scrapped along the way (Unconfirmed, but there are references to horses in the code that had also the reference codes for Cats, small dogs, and large dogs) I don't see how cows, chicken, sheep, and pigs can even be considered to be animals in the same way cats and dogs are.
    If they do them like that, the animals would be made in CAS, have traits and emotions and count towards the household limits.
    If you want a farmer family with 3 kids, 12 chicken, 6 cows, and 4 sheep, you'd need a mod.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that there's anything stopping you from having 25 rodent cages on one lot and all inhabited, or 30 bee boxes, other how many simoleons you have.
    edited March 2019

You are right about that and that is what worries me! It's the same in the UK in the inner cities. Other countries are better informed than us. It seems in the some countries (is that yours amongst them)? that large farming animals get sympathy but wild animals, fish and insects get killed for sport or just because they affect our comfort. Those who wish to inflict severe changes to farming methods without careful testing should look up the American "Dust Bowl" or forest clearing.

Apparently work is going on on creating artificial meat at the moment. Maxis could include that in a futuristic pack but would that lead to no cows, sheep or pigs anywhere because we don't need them anymore? They aren't pets.

In my country, wolves and bears are shot for scaring hikers or looking for food in trashcans or attacking livestock.
    There's hunting seasons for specific animals. A few months in a year where you can legally hunt specific animals if you have a hunting license.
    And there's a large and growing population of vegans here too.
    Any even children can legally buy fishing rods and go fishing.
    In the stores, you can get spray against flies and mosquitos and such...
    Post edited by Armilus616 on

In my country, wolves and bears are shot for scaring hikers or looking for food in trashcans or attacking livestock.
    There's hunting seasons for specific animals. A few months in a year where you can legally hunt specific animals if you have a hunting license.

The authorities in those cases are aware that the natural food chain would be badly affected if hunting was allowed all year. Killing mothers with cubs. I went to the Canadian Rockies and didn't manage to see one bear (except from miles away) because officials kept shooting guns to keep them away. I was told at the time that they only killed them if they kept coming back after relocating them far away from habitation. It's our fault for our careless trash dumping and ruining their own habitat. Hunting to keep numbers to a manageable level and to cull herds like deer to keep them in peak condition might be admissable Their meat and skins are put to good use after.
    Shooting for fun I find horrific. ie: Cecil the lion.
    Wolves are being re-introduced in some countries and even discussed in the uk because they perform a useful service of keeping their other pests down. (I hope not near me though) We are already experimenting with beavers in the uk!

The authorities in those cases are aware that the natural food chain would be badly affected if hunting was allowed all year. Killing mothers with cubs. I went to the Canadian Rockies and didn't manage to see one bear (except from miles away) because officials kept shooting guns to keep them away. I was told at the time that they only killed them if they kept coming back after relocating them far away from habitation. It's our fault for our careless trash dumping and ruining their own habitat. Hunting to keep numbers to a manageable level and to cull herds like deer to keep them in peak condition might be admissable Their meat and skins are put to good use after.
    Shooting for fun I find horrific. ie: Cecil the lion.
    Wolves are being re-introduced in some countries and even discussed in the uk because they perform a useful service of keeping their other pests down. (I hope not near me though) We are already experimenting with beavers in the uk!

Wolves have been tried to be reintroduced several times, and also some migrated to us from neighboring countries.
    But every time the newspaper mentioned a wolf or a bear roaming our forests or mountains, 3 weeks later there was a discussion going on to shoot it for scaring hikers, looking for food in trash cans or threatening sheep heards, getting Sheppard dogs to freak out because they could smell them...
    And another 3 weeks later it's a thing of the past. It happened 3 times in the last 15 years.
    With shooting for fun, you refer to things like the British fox hunt, where a couple of foxes are released only to be immediately chased with horses and killed to the death by rich spoiled brats with no respect for the animal, or the Spanish bullfights, where a bull is being put in an arena, where a guy provokes him with a red cloth and throws spears into his back until the bull can't move anymore due to blood loss and exhaustion and then the guy finishes the bull with a sword, and all of that for the entertainment of the masses?
    I dislike stuff like this as well.
    https://icemunmun.blogspot.com/2019/02/functional-chicken-coop.html
    This mod is what I expect all farm animals to be like.
    I can quite see why EA would have difficulty in making a Farming pack so fully expect University to be next. We even had problems with Cats and Dogs! Pity though. It probably might come as the last!
  • WispyeWispye Posts: 140 Member
    i think there trying to do diffrent things then in all the other sim games so maybe i farming ep....im hoping for anything been really bored latley with sims
    edited March 2019
    They should be forewarned. Something special is needed to shake us out of our current apathy! It's going to have to be a choice between Supernatural, University, or an Ocean resort with water tools to create our own Hotels by the water which we could own and rent out.

Farming they might find a bit difficult unless they went for something like Ranching, with horses and/or an off the grid type of subsistence farming. ie: chicken coop, couple of sheep, goats, and a cow. I'd love that!
    It could even be in a medieval type setting with the appropriate building objects.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    As far as farming, I just don't see much interesting gameplay for it, when it comes to crops and meat and harvesting, at least for me. I feel like it might be kind of fun once, and then it would get boring very quickly.

But I wouldn't mind something that includes a petting zoo with object animals, something Sims could do with their children. Pony rides could be a thing, too. I also wouldn't mind orchards with various fruit trees and an actual pumpkin patch, if Sims could go picking their own and causing mischief. A corn maze would be neat too, and a good new woohoo spot. I'd like hay rides, but I think that would be too complicated to pull off. A lot of these things would be best integrated with Seasons for more Autumn activities. Making pumpkin and apple pies, cider, ect. And including a little general store to get fresh products. They could also introduce a Farmer's Fair.

I live in the suburbs, but these are the kinds of things I see in my region because we do have farms nearby and there is a lot of local support for them. I feel like a more updated, in-between country and suburban farm theme is a little more interesting, if they do decide to go with farms.
    #Team Occult
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member

Or both. Just not both in June. Maybe not even both this year, but both eventually.

I'm still thinking Island Paradise.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    I believe that this year we are going to get:
    February: StrangerVille GP
    June: Farming EP
    September: Witches GP
    November: University EP

This would be awesome for the year.

WbUrFQm.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Karon wrote: »
    They are going to update the game requirements in June, which means they had to make that decision based on something around the game. I remember that this happened when Pets was released in Sims 3. I had heard some chicken noises while playing in StrangerVille. Horses are bigger than cats and dogs, as well as a Farming EP would require a bigger world than what we have so far... It need more than just one single 64x64 lot. I believe this is the Farming EP we are going to get in June. The university one would probably work better released in the Holiday, it is highly requested and would make a lot of money as people would gift it on Christmas. I don't see a Tropical EP coming any sooner, there are other stuff more important, and they just released both Seasons and a Vacation Spot last year.
    I believe that this year we are going to get:
    February: StrangerVille GP
    June: Farming EP
    September: Witches GP
    November: University EP

Grant spoke about Farming very skeptically last year (he didn’t think Farming would do too well against other themes people want). Since it takes over a year to make an EP, if they didn’t decide on a farming pack back then, a farming EP releasing this year is unlikely.

A Rural Living pack (as a counter to City Living) could have more emphasis on animals (cows, chicken, maybe llamas?), crafting (spin llama hair into yarn to create items to sell/wear, use milk and eggs in recipes or sell), maybe a farmer's market to sell one's wares and have cometitions (like the pie and hot dog eating contests). And just because Grant was a skeptic doesn't mean he didn't get overruled by others or maybe his mind was changed after other devs introdued their ideas. We've got a lot of urban and suburbia in the game; it would be nice to have some actual rural atmosphere.

I do think we see witches in the fall -- it will be 2-1/2 years since we got a proper occult state (not counting Plantsims) which is way too long a gap.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Which is totally fine but not giving the option in a farming pack when that's a huge part of farming is ridiculous.

Yes, they definitely need the rabbithole butcher or I rather they did not even make a farming pack. What are we going to do, just raise the animals and let them die and bury them in the yard? Sims should be able to milk cows, gather eggs, sheer sheep for wool, and of course feel them all.

We also definitely need some special recipes that you can only make if you have the meats, eggs, milk etc. We also need some type of farmer's market where sims can buy these items if they are not farmers and sell when they are farmers. For me, it doesn't have to be a full out store. A stand where I can buy and sell to an NPC works for me. I rather details go more into the actual farming process. I also agree with @drake_mccarty NO horses. Cows, pigs, chickens and possibly some sheep please. I few new plants would be nice too like bell peppers, cucumbers, more berries, maybe some nuts and cacao tree for chocolate. Canning would be a nice addition as well.

I want a real vacation pack but I would take a farming pack if they added the above.
    I remember SimGuruGraham showing a picture of a beach resort or spa that he found from an older game, sometime last year and thought that might be an example for a pack they were working on, as why else would he show it on Twitter? It didn't arrive but it might mean that they were looking up ideas for one though. Grant said on Twitter something about Expansions taking about a year's work.