March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you usually your give your sims house phones?

I was just going through the 'what happened in your game today' thread when I saw a house phone, which got me wondering if most people give their sims house phones. Personally, I only give them house phones in Sims 2, and even then it's rare as most of my Sims have cell phones. Silly question, I know, but I love polls!
sims 2&3 my beloved♥

Do you usually your give your sims house phones? 93 votes

No, almost never
52%
Evalenpisceschick75carlystur03suzsesGraceyManorAmphoraConcoutemorrillJoAnne65cwaddellstarguruxMultiLoveigazorIreneSwifthugsfromhannah60smusicluvrJayedTadaSkierbecks1112adamzaidTreyNutz 49 votes
Yes, almost always
31%
nickibitswardIdontrcallRflong7Jessa_Dakkardreamerz13ApparentlyAwesomeMikezumisazzieJjillbgGabbyGirlJlisasc360simis87KarritzCravenLestatstarzgirl1Trashmagicpandabear1836luxsylvancocoZeeGee 29 votes
Other/Depends on the sim
16%
BluegayleRedHoneySkyHejixbklienhartPuddinroyCinebarSimplyJengamerplaya94becomingjennSonata13SingerbekkasanSindocatTadOlsonNelora10CaffeinatedRachel 15 votes

Comments

• dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes, almost always
    Yes. But it's mostly to make their home offices look more professional. Or to add some clutter around. How often they actually use the thing is a whole other story lol.

They don't have to pay extra phone bills though so that helps lol. Irl I haven't had a home phone in I don't even know how long. Waste of money since we always use our cells anyway. Sims don't know that pain though lol.

I was actually looking at my sins home phone last night thinking how weirdly I placed it and how they probably couldn't use it anyway. Thought about moving where its accessible but meh. They probably still wouldn't use it.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    No, almost never
    I don't put them in homes and usually delete them in EA premade houses. I don't see any use for them, and I myself don't have one and rely on my cell phone.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    No, almost never
    You people are insane. A landline phone is still required IRL so that local residents and businesses can call you, even during a power outage (if you have the kind of phone that doesn't require being plugged into a wall outlet for power), with interesting conversation and offers. And they are fine to use for long distance calls without operator assistance as long as you remember to not call too far away and wait until after 11pm so the rates come down.

Bah, just kidding. I have no idea why I still have a landline although occasionally my elderly relatives still call it and seem confused as to why I refuse to answer the ring when I'm not at home. And I never give my sims one unless some unusual interaction they require, usually involving a mod, will not work through their cellphones/computers.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Yes, almost always
    I love the landlines cause you get prank calls where your sim gets angry and other things can happen too.You are denying yourself a interactive item not using it.People jam pots and bowls and various clutter scattered everywhere that do nothing but won't use an object you actually can use that has functionality in the game. :/
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    No, almost never
    @CravenLestat I will put a phone down when next in game, only for the prank calls.

But no, they are deleted first thing and I wish I could delete the mobile phones too, all those townies calling at all hours asking my charming sim for a date annoy the life out of me.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Other/Depends on the sim
    Depends not on the Sim, but on the house. Some builds don't feel complete without a telephone table in the hall, or wherever. That said I can't think of the last time my Sim ever used one.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Other/Depends on the sim
    It depends on the Sim and the story I'm playing. But yes, many times I play Sims who live back before cellphones, omg...we did get by without them, lol, if it fits the story in my head. But if it's a medieval story in my head, then no, but I might find a cc one that doesn't look like a phone, maybe a pigeon. I'm more annoyed by every Sim having a phone in their pocket and ruining my story line, even if I'm the only one who saw them pull out the cell. That literally breaks my immersion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Other/Depends on the sim
    Always in both Sims 1 & 2

Not always in Sims 3. I thought prank calls happen with a cell too? I've seen it happen before but I thought it was on a cell. Anyways... You'll also get phone calls when someone is about to pass away with a home phone. (let me know if I'm remembering wrong) Story-wise if it's supposed to be modern times then it doesn't make sense for my sims to have one. I'll place one down if my sims have a home office though to complete the look.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    Other/Depends on the sim
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Depends not on the Sim, but on the house. Some builds don't feel complete without a telephone table in the hall, or wherever. That said I can't think of the last time my Sim ever used one.

Pretty much this. The phones come with the house, not with the families that live there. I used to put them in every house I built, these days, not as much. It's one of the things I do when furnishing the house, put a fire detector in the kitchen, burglar alarm, telephone in the entry hall, etc.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    No, almost never
    If they don't have a landline phone, they can't get the phone calls telling them that someone they know is going to die the next day. Those calls only come on landlines. But my sims get all other kinds of calls on their cell phones. And I do get those notifications, thanks to NRaas Story Progression, so I don't use them all that much anymore, not because I don't want to, but because I hardly ever think to put them in the houses. I do like having them.

In real life, some of us still do need landline phones. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't have internet. Period. It's the only way I can get internet where I live. Well, maybe I could get satellite internet, but it would probably be more expensive than the DSL our phone company provides. I'm almost always home, so I only have a pay per minute, dirt cheap, flip phone cell phone. Everybody who actually has my cell phone number knows not to call me on it unless I don't answer the home phone, because I never answer it at home.
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes, almost always
    It adds clutter, clutter is good. ;)

Always on the bedside table (if it fits sometimes I have too much other cr’ap and they can’t be placed).
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,583 Member
    Yes, almost always
    I like clutter. :mrgreen:

I want my real landlines back. :cry:
    It's easier to find my cellphone with it. :lol:
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Other/Depends on the sim
    I don't always do it, but for some sims or families it just seems right. Especially in an older home, or rural area. To be honest, I still have a landline as the area I live on an island is pretty much a dead zone for any of the cell companies. They keep promising a new tower on this part of the island, but so far, not happened. Mine works sometimes if the sky is clear, no sunspots flaring and if I hold my arm at the perfect angle to the window. :lol: I can text, just not talk. :smiley:
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Yes, almost always
    I always have a landline in my sim houses because if I silence the landline it silences all my sims' phones and saves me having to do each one individually.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Yes, almost always
    @Rflong7 I can't tell you how many times I have used to my landline to find my cellphone! LOL
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,231 Member
    Yes, almost always
    I always put one either on their desk if they have one or on the wall or their night stand in the bedroom. I believe in giving all of my Sims houses landline phones since I still have and use one in my own house even though I do have a cell phone. I only use my phone either when I'm out and about or if there is a problem with the house phone such as when the electric goes out during a storm. I would never give up my landline for anything.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Yes, almost always
    I liked the way they looked. I'd always put a little table near the door with pens and paper and a phone. I wish they hadn't taken them out in 4, and just upgraded them in a similar way to most people's house phones now, a substantial amount of people use them, and they'd be nice to put in older Sims' homes. Nonetheless, I'm glad they're in 3 and I still get to use them :)
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    Yes, almost always
    I still have a landline at home so it never crossed my mind to stop giving them to my sims. It adds clutter and realism for me. I actually often forget to use sim's mobile phones so when they call friends it's usually on the landline. It's one of the first things I add to a house along with the alarm system :lol:
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Yes, almost always
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I like clutter. :mrgreen:

I want my real landlines back. :cry:
    It's easier to find my cellphone with it. :lol:

The amount of times I've threatened to get a landline again just for finding my cellphone...

I invested in a device to find it but it doesn't work lol.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,900 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes, almost always
    I give them a landline phone only because I use the gardener service mod and it requires that type of phone to start, change and end the service. If there's no garden in the household then they don't need a phone so probably will just have their own personal phones all sims have.

Also - the phone I use is decorative.
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    edited November 2018
    I have house phones because it rings and tells you when someone dies, and guests can answer it as well as the household. (in Sims 3)

the wall one can go above a counter, sims can still get to it there and then there's still room on the counter for other things.
    Post edited by DivinylsFan on
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    edited November 2018
    No, almost never
    Not only do I still have a landline, mine still has a cord :D

And because I know how much I hate my landline, I dont bother my sims with one.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    No, almost never
    Pretty much never,
    But because of this thread I will again since they can add to the clutter in the house. Never thought of them adding to the clutter! :open_mouth:
    I love house clutter <3:mrgreen:
  • pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    Yes, almost always
    Yeah, almost always. I like the look of them. When I'm thinking of something to fill an empty space, I think "Throw down a telephone!" Anything to clutter up a room!
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    No, almost never
    Never.What's the point? Everyone gets a free cellphone(I wish cellphones weren't automatic and was something we had to buy because I would much prefer to use a land line, but I only get calls on my cell)