Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3 More Years For Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Grant just spoke of the game being made for 5, 10, 15 years and the tons of packs it can have - as someone asked in the Q &A this evening:

But sounds to me Sims 5 is a long - long - long ways away. They need to move this out of speculation and rumor - I think.

Oh wow now 15 years sounds promising for TS4 if that's correct though I'd be shocked if it goes beyond 3.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    The single biggest complaint when a new iteration launches is the lack of content compared to the previous iteration.
    (Even TS2 wasn't immune to this sentiment for a brief time)

Now that TS4 is rapidly closing the gap (content wise) to previous iterations... the complaints have gradually ( and predictably) subsided.

TS5 would be no different. No matter the updated graphics or innovations...there would be people lamenting the lack of base game content, and continue to play this (or previous iterations)...until the new one catches up.
    It only makes sense to keep the train rolling for as long possible before starting that painful proccess all over again.

Not only this, but I think a lot of people are romantisizing their expectations of what Sims 5 will be. Somehow there's already confidence that it will be the "best Sims ever!" just because Sims 4 didn't meet all expectations. If it ever is announced, I'm going to brace for the next round of outrage because I see some people building it up into something completely unrealistic. And most likely, a new group of play styles will be left out of the mix. With so many different types of players and so many different types of preferences, there's no way they can satisfy all Simmers.

But you might be one of the outraged, you never know. What if they left out kids or teens the next time? Or mulittasking or being able to remodel a community building while playing (like TS2 didn't allow it) etc. They might leave out something all of us think should be carried forward like it has been carried forward since TS2. You never know what might wind up grinding your gears and join the rest of us who would be demaning those are base game features and should have been in base game. lol

I already had my disappointment and it was Sims 3. Never went past the base game, nor did I stalk it, waiting for it to be what I wanted. It was never going to be my game so I just accepted it and life went on and I saved a ton of money, lol. Since then I've learned not to have expectations.

I waited a couple of months to buy Sims 4, to find out more about it before spending any money. But even just the CAS demo was an improvement for me. So I decided to try out the base game and actually liked it a lot. I honestly didn't even notice toddlers were missing because I don't focus on families, I do my own thing and they're just not that important to me. I figured something else was chosen for the base game instead and that toddlers would come later anyway and they did.
    That's not to say I didn't have any problems with Sims 4 after playing for a little while and noticing where it fell flat for me. There are still huge holes that need to be filled in as far as I'm concerned. I've been pleading for a fear emotion for a long time. But I also accept that Sims 4 is not a doppelganger of any previous game and it's just going to continue to be Sims 4. If I get some enjoyment, that's great. If I don't, I'll stop supporting it.

So I don't have high expectations for a Sims 5. I see the crowds that Sims 4 is catering to, and they are younger and trendier than ever. I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, it's just different from what I ultimately want. I think Sims 5, if there ever is one, will do the same. It will be young and fresh and trendy and I probably won't like it because I won't really relate to it. But no one knows what the next Sims game will be like or if it's coming any time soon. The more people build it up in their minds, the more they set themselves up for disappointment. It's not likely to be anything we expect.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    The single biggest complaint when a new iteration launches is the lack of content compared to the previous iteration.
    (Even TS2 wasn't immune to this sentiment for a brief time)

Now that TS4 is rapidly closing the gap (content wise) to previous iterations... the complaints have gradually ( and predictably) subsided.

TS5 would be no different. No matter the updated graphics or innovations...there would be people lamenting the lack of base game content, and continue to play this (or previous iterations)...until the new one catches up.
    It only makes sense to keep the train rolling for as long possible before starting that painful proccess all over again.

Not only this, but I think a lot of people are romantisizing their expectations of what Sims 5 will be. Somehow there's already confidence that it will be the "best Sims ever!" just because Sims 4 didn't meet all expectations. If it ever is announced, I'm going to brace for the next round of outrage because I see some people building it up into something completely unrealistic. And most likely, a new group of play styles will be left out of the mix. With so many different types of players and so many different types of preferences, there's no way they can satisfy all Simmers.
    Speaking for myself, it’s Sims 4’s basegame (the whole set up with the emotions and the malfunctioning multitasking and the loading screens system, meaning uncontrollable sims at the other end and no cohesion between neighborhoods and no travelling) where the problem lies. And the sims’ behaviour (very self centered and with a total lack of a memory system). No pack (and the game has some good packs by now) can fix that for me, just make it more bearable/enjoyable. That’s why I long for a new Sims basegame more than anything. Not because there’s a guarantee it will be better, but because there’s a chance.

(again, purely speaking for myself, just to explain why some of us do prefer a new Sims game to a Sims 4 game being dragged on for years to come)(and I think we are more than entitled to after four years)

I totally get that. The thing is, we're actually not entitled to anything. The game isn't a commission project, no matter how many people play the part of the indignant customer. And that's the ugly truth of it. Just today I saw a tweet from SimGuruGrant saying that their goal has never been to make everyone happy because that would be impossible. Yes, they take requests into consideration, but they are in no way at the mercy of anyone's anger or disappointment.

People are free to hope and wish for the next Sims game if they don't like Sims 4, of course. I know what it's like to be deeply disappointed in a new base game and not be able to get enjoyment from it. It stinks. That's unfortunate. But you can bet that it doesn't mean the next one will make you happy either. What if it's still not open world? I've seen one of the devs state that open world complicates the game too much in general and brings too many potential problems. They probably scrapped it for a very good reason and didn't make the decision lightly. They might do the same with multitasking after all of the difficulties Sims 4 has with development because of it. That's likely to spark some outrage in those who love that feature. No doubt there will be changes and decisions that someone doesn't like.

My point is, there is no way to know if the next base game in the Sims series is going to be at all what you want, and it only sets up for further disappointment and frustration when people have checklists in their heads of what they think they're going to get and their expectations are running high. Because the higher the expectation, the bigger the mess if it comes crashing down. Instead, I would recommend to keep it realistic, with the knowledge that it still might not be what you want. But why bother until there's an announcement that something is even in the works at all?
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited June 2018
    But TS4 has been running longer than any other iteration! And the weird thing about it is that it's least popular with the most restrictive gameplay of them all with the least amount of creative tools. TS1 through TS3 had more stuff in them in the shorter period of times that they were developed! Dragging on the development of this horrible iteration is PAINFUL for everyone else waiting for TS5. At least EA should start talking about developing TS5 so that the rest of us can look forward to it with some hope and excitement.

At least it let them more time to fill TS5, like that we could have the game that we all want.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Yes! I want to see how they do mermaids and other packs. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited June 2018
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Sims 4 just got confirmed to have sold over 10m copies. At this rate, it will outsell Sims 2 and 3.
    Financially, EA has no reason to move on to Sims 5.

Will be exciting to see what new packs they are working on :)

Lol! There is NO proof of that! Also the claim that it sold 5 million. They both came from tweets from some Sim Guru but THEY ARE NOT OFFICIAL NUMBERS!

Nope. The 5 million was confirmed in an interview after the 5M button had been seen. Sorry. Odds are that that 10M button really does mean 10 million sold, and that Simmers who really want this version to be unpopular are the ones who don't have facts on their side, just anecdotes. Unhappy people are often noisier and more visible than happy ones.
    Incorrect. The 5 million was confirmed a year after it had been tweeted, after toddlers and Parenthood had been added which gave the game an enormous boost. Thén they said the game had sold more than 5 million copies and they didn’t link that to the 5M tweet. They just said that yes, the game had sold over 5 million copies (when asked). “Odds are” is not the same thing as a confirmation either. Nor does the fact many people aren’t over the moon about the game have a relation to how it sells. Not least because many of those people are in fact buyers themselves.

(I haven’t seen a 10M button by the way, but does it refer to basegames?)

Not wrong. It was indeed confirmed after that there were over 5 million sales. Nothing I have said there is untrue; I did not say that the meaning of "5M" was confirmed specifically (though it's common sense), nor does "after" mean right away. On top of that, it was less than a year - the button was seen in summer 2016 and the interview was posted in mid-March 2017, before the Parenthood GP.

Given that and that a capital M after a number is a very normal, everyday, common abbreviation for "million" (just like K is for "thousand"), I really think anyone who can't see the connection to the 5M pin is in some serious denial. Another two years later after that 5M pin and actually after the Toddler update and after a Pets expansion, I have no problem believing that they'd have hit 10M. Is it really impossible to believe that Sims 4 is as popular as Sims 3 was, just because you don't enjoy it? What on earth other explanation do you have for a 5M button out from a company that does not release specific sales figures but that's confirmed months later to indeed have surpassed 5M in sales, and is joined 2 years later after much-desired additions, by a 10M button? What does it stand for if not for 5 million and now 10 million base game sales?

Sometimes I just don't understand why people who don't like Sims 4 are often so determined to not see the evidence in front of them and accept that other people do like it, enough of them that it's genuinely successful. Lots of people like things I don't like. It's normal. It's okay.

THIS! The Sims 4 is a fantastic game and I hope it's with us many years to come. With how detailed Seasons turned out to be, we are seeing what this game is truly capable of and I can't wait for its future! I also don't understand why the naysayers are in such denial of its financial success.
  • Options
    Grant just spoke of the game being made for 5, 10, 15 years and the tons of packs it can have - as someone asked in the Q &A this evening:

But sounds to me Sims 5 is a long - long - long ways away. They need to move this out of speculation and rumor - I think.

CONFIRMED! Sims 4 is lasting 15 years!!! LOL
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

I am delighted that it has the potential to do that. The signs that it could were there right from the start, with the less-likely-to-get-dated animation style and the not-all-loaded-at-once lot structure. I'm excited to see what can end up being developed when the "required" add-ons are done. What's never been done before that can finally be done because they don't have to start all over?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

So in 2029 TS4 will still be stuck with the same game engine?

No one seems to want to move with the times these days

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

So in 2029 TS4 will still be stuck with the same game engine?

No one seems to want to move with the times these days

:disappointed:

Moving with the times just might not look like you expect it to.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for anybody who wants the sims 5.
    but at the same time this games still a bag if bones. still waiting for the rest of its body parts.

Seasons helped chip away at that. We got more content in Seasons so far then in any other pack.

I wasn't talking about just content the whole package!
    interactions.
    worlds.
    lots.
    animations.
    tools/options.
    careers.
    activity's.
    skills.
    traits.
    aspirations.

and build/buy.
    create a sim.

its not perfect. because it seems to center around home family/friend seasonal activity not as much community. like the sims 3 seasons did. but its a good pack. however it would take more than that pack to finally turn that poor bag of bones into the living.

it helps for the theme and the change in weather ect ect. as for the rest of the game at present. its still starving for features. lets hope it does not take years for more to come.

agree it helps a little and is the best ep so far for me
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2018

CONFIRMED! Sims 4 is lasting 15 years!!! LOL[/quote]

where did he confirm 15 years?

he never confirmed 15 years though :#
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    marcel21 wrote: »

where did he confirm 15 years?

he never confirmed 15 years though :# [/quote]

It was a joke since he mentioned "15 years" in that Twitter post! :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2018
    Alan650111 - Actually it isn't a joke as the CEO has been talking about this very thing in every single Earning Call this year - he just did not say what games would be part of this, but also mentioned the 5, 10, 15 year figures of extending the shelf life of their big games - it is just the first time one of our Dev's said it - especially the Head Producer. So believe me - it's not a joke.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

MerSims will come in a Tropical Beach Vacation Pack. They won't get their own pack.
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    Honestly I never understood this huge disappointment with TS4. I do understand the little disappointments along the way, at first I wasn't happy with the TS4 base game either. But then again, I've never been happy with any base games. :D

To me TS4 is what it is, and personally after playing TS3 I see it is a lot less buggy. Yes the open world was enjoyable, but it had it's issues. My computer is a pretty decently upgraded one, but I still couldn't play in Isla Paradiso, probably because it was too graphically demanding.

Honestly, I'd be happy if they can keep the TS4 around for a while. It would be interesting to see exactly what they can do with it.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member

MerSims will come in a Tropical Beach Vacation Pack. They won't get their own pack.

Yeah, I know. I just want whatever pack they’re in. :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member

Who knows, I would love it more if they got their own pack so they can be fleshed out. I don't want them to end up like TS3 mermaids
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    I posted this in my SimGuru tweets thread but thought it was appropriate here also. :)

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited September 2018
    I posted this in my SimGuru tweets thread but thought it was appropriate here also. :)

Love it :)
    I had noticed that the *at least* 3 statement has become only 3 for many.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2018

Oh wow now 15 years sounds promising for TS4 if that's correct though I'd be shocked if it goes beyond 3.
    “When thinking about making a game that lasts for 5, 10, 15 years”. So, could be five (so, one year to go).
    Did it ever occur to anyone guruGrant simply might not know either? As someone who’s worked on many projects in her job, I can declare that it’s always unclear how long that project will run. There is one I’ve been doing for ten years now (because it’s a succes), but another one just made it one year. That wasn’t the plan, that was how it turned out to be.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

“When thinking about making a game that lasts for 5, 10, 15 years”. So, could be five (so, one year to go).
    Did it ever occur to anyone guruGrant simply might not know either? As someone who’s worked on many projects in her job, I can declare that it’s always unclear how long that project will run. There is one I’ve been doing for ten years now (because it’s a succes), but another one just made it one year. That wasn’t the plan, that was how it turned out to be.

Propaganda has a lot to answer for I think.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Seems like the same thing is going on in this thread as those Sims 5 threads. :D Just let us believe it's gonna go on for another 15 years. 😀
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    But TS4 has been running longer than any other iteration! And the weird thing about it is that it's least popular with the most restrictive gameplay of them all with the least amount of creative tools. TS1 through TS3 had more stuff in them in the shorter period of times that they were developed! Dragging on the development of this horrible iteration is PAINFUL for everyone else waiting for TS5. At least EA should start talking about developing TS5 so that the rest of us can look forward to it with some hope and excitement.

At least it let them more time to fill TS5, like that we could have the game that we all want.

It's lacking so much it can never be the game I want.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Seems like the same thing is going on in this thread as those Sims 5 threads. :D Just let us believe it's gonna go on for another 15 years. 😀

yes that seems far enough to me
    more for sim kids and more drama please
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top