Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3 More Years For Sims 4?

simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
THE SIMS 4: NEW CONTENT IN PLAN FOR NEXT 3 YEARS

Though EA hasn’t announced any further expansion for the four-year-old game, it appears as if “The Sims 4” will continue to have a long tale. Though he wouldn’t go into specifics, Rodiek said he was already in meetings discussing the next three years of content for the current title.

“‘Seasons’ is just the tip of the iceberg,” he said.

http://simscommunity.info/2018/06/20/the-sims-4-new-content-in-plan-for-next-3-years/

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Just saw that on Twitter. Maybe everyone will get what they want. This pretty much rules out The Sims 5 for several years.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Sounds great. I'm having a wonderful time and look forward to whatever new content comes.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I am glad. I love TS4.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Well that should at least get us University and some sort of Celebrity pack as EP's. I hope for that farm pack, witches and servos in something or other. Is this news reliable?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    BrexoxoBrexoxo Posts: 228 Member
    University better be included! :D
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I would be surprised if we didn't get both
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    I think they'll be able to squeeze out at least 3-4 more expansion packs, some more stuff packs, and a few more game packs. I mean they've got plenty of time. Seasons just came out in June, but that doesn't mean they can't aim for something to come out in early 2019.
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Sounds great. I'm having a wonderful time and look forward to whatever new content comes.

Completely agreed.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    onmyown1986onmyown1986 Posts: 149 Member
    To be honest I would have preferred they start work on Sims 5. There are a lot of things I like about Sims 4 - I love being able to create a sim by just pulling things rather than using sliders etc, I like the building tools, I love how the world looks, I love how they can multi-task etc so much better. However, I went back and played Sims 3 recently and it reminded me of how much Sims 4 is missing. I really miss the open world, a lot. It made the world seem so much more alive. I also enormously miss create a style, and being able to customise hair colours etc. I know open world is an enormously complicated thing and I do understand why they didn't put it in Sims 4, but create a style? Changing the colour of a T shirt etc should be doable. I don't like the way that the worlds are so much smaller and more limited as to where you can build etc - edit town in Sims 3 was brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Sims 4 and there is still a lot they can do, but really what I would like is Sims 5 incorporating the best elements of both games as well as introducing new ones.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited June 2018
    To be honest I would have preferred they start work on Sims 5. There are a lot of things I like about Sims 4 - I love being able ato create a sim by just pulling things rather than using sliders etc, I like the building tools, I love how the world looks, I love how they can multi-task etc so much better. However, I went back and played Sims 3 recently and it reminded me of how much Sims 4 is missing. I really miss the open world, a lot. It made the world seem so much more alive. I also enormously miss create a style, and being able to customise hair colours etc. I know open world is an enormously complicated thing and I do understand why they didn't put it in Sims 4, but create a style? Changing the colour of a T shirt etc should be doable. I don't like the way that the worlds are so much smaller and more limited as to where you can build etc - edit town in Sims 3 was brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Sims 4 and there is still a lot they can do, but really what I would like is Sims 5 incorporating the best elements of both games as well as introducing new ones.

I agree. I'm one of the people waiting for TS5. I would much rather be informed if they start work on TS5. Anything to give me hope and something to look forward to. I would also very much want to be one of the people to give my input on that. One of the things I dislike about TS4 is that they're so cheap about content in their packs. I want it to go back to the way things were back in TS1 to TS3 - they were very generous about stuffing their EPs and SPs with gameplay and or meaningful items. And because of how amazing the content was, lots of people bought these games - a whole lot more than TS4 that's for sure.

And of course, TS5 needs to come back to open world and CASt, and the return of creative control back to the player and allow us to customize these worlds anyway we want. That's one of the major reasons why I haven't bought TS4 at all - it's because EA took away the ability to make the game our own and cut off a lot of different types of players.

In regard to open world, such complaints about it aren't valid anymore as new computers have caught up with the demands of an open world environment. Also a lot of the complaints made about it are by people who haven't really made any effort to find solutions for them and don't want to so that they can keep complaining about it. From my own experience, I've found solutions for EVERY problem/issue I had come across in playing TS3 - all very easy to follow and didn't take as long as I thought to work out. And some people even went through the trouble of fixing it for other people through mods, writing instructions or even save games or files. But everything has been fixable in TS3, so if TS5 is open world, there are plenty of tech-savvy people who will find solutions and help other people out.

I'm sure some people will say, why not just stay with TS3? I do because I love it so much! But I'm also thinking about the future of The Sims series. Open world to me is a MUST - it is forward-thinking and progress!, but I think there is room for development to give an option to turn that off in TS5. They just need to create a game engine that can do BOTH.

Terrain tools also have to come back and the all magical "constrainfloorelevation false" cheat. That's another reason why I didn't buy TS4. And the lots are SO SMALL! There needs to be larger lot options in TS4!!! I don't know how people can stand the claustrophobia of TS4 lots and neighborhoods!

Anyway, I really hope EA will start announcing development of TS5 soon at least! It would be nice if they release it in 2020 for The Sim's 20th Anniversary!
    Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Options
    everthewildeoneeverthewildeone Posts: 87 Member
    I disagree. Although I'm not opposed to the idea of Sims 5, I would rather it be in the distant future. I'm still playing with Sims 4 and as soon as one game comes out, my mind focuses solely on that and forgets completely about the previous ones. It's been that way with Sims 2 and Sims 3. I don't want it to continue on with Sims 4 as I'm actually quite fond of this game. I would like an island and a swimmable ocean though..
    z2mSmjo.png

Click the siggy to check out my Youtube and if you like what you see, subscribe!
  • Options
    But TS4 has been running longer than any other iteration! And the weird thing about it is that it's least popular with the most restrictive gameplay of them all with the least amount of creative tools. TS1 through TS3 had more stuff in them in the shorter period of times that they were developed! Dragging on the development of this horrible iteration is PAINFUL for everyone else waiting for TS5. At least EA should start talking about developing TS5 so that the rest of us can look forward to it with some hope and excitement.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Sims 4 just got confirmed to have sold over 10m copies. At this rate, it will outsell Sims 2 and 3.
    Financially, EA has no reason to move on to Sims 5.

Will be exciting to see what new packs they are working on :)
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I haven't spent over £300 to put together a half-finished game. If Sims 5 comes out, I'm not buying it, cus I don't trust EA.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Sims 4 just got confirmed to have sold over 10m copies. At this rate, it will outsell Sims 2 and 3.

Lol! There is NO proof of that! Also the claim that it sold 5 million. They both came from tweets from some Sim Guru but THEY ARE NOT OFFICIAL NUMBERS!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    THE SIMS 4: NEW CONTENT IN PLAN FOR NEXT 3 YEARS

Though EA hasn’t announced any further expansion for the four-year-old game, it appears as if “The Sims 4” will continue to have a long tale. Though he wouldn’t go into specifics, Rodiek said he was already in meetings discussing the next three years of content for the current title.

“‘Seasons’ is just the tip of the iceberg,” he said.

http://simscommunity.info/2018/06/20/the-sims-4-new-content-in-plan-for-next-3-years/

I knew that was coming seeing the CEO has been saying it at every Conference call - for all their games. Not once has he ever mentioned an end point or a new version of any of the games they wanted to "extend the shelf life of" - as the quoted part is all he has ever said in relation to time.

I am glad - as they always seemed to stop each version before I was ready anyway - so for me this is exciting thinking of all the places our Sims can go still to come. I do hope one of the places they go is University - that way I won't feel like something is missing everytime I make a Sim make certain career choices. Like scientists and doctors, vets - etc. Fingers crossed that is one pack they get.

I'm excited something was finally said outside of just Conference calls... finally.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited June 2018

Lol! There is NO proof of that! Also the claim that it sold 5 million. They both came from tweets from some Sim Guru but THEY ARE NOT OFFICIAL NUMBERS!

Nope. The 5 million was confirmed in an interview after the 5M button had been seen. Sorry. Odds are that that 10M button really does mean 10 million sold, and that Simmers who really want this version to be unpopular are the ones who don't have facts on their side, just anecdotes. Unhappy people are often noisier and more visible than happy ones.

Lol, oh right! As if interviews are a legitimate source. Nope! I've been looking for concrete numbers and I've been looking at EA's quarterly and annual financial reports. Nowhere in those reports do they ever give concrete numbers of their sales for TS4 specifically. It is always "The Sims" products as a whole (which would mean TS3 is included as well because it STILL sells and charts well!).

Plus, what does 5M or 10M mean??? TS4 has more packs than TS1 through TS3, but there is less gameplay and meaningful content for each pack!

Also, if you look at the most popular Sims forums, the most active sections are always TS3! People are still passionately involved playing that game because it is so flexible and we can make it any we want! And since computers have caught up to the requirements of TS3, more people have returned to it, buying what packs they missed before as well as NEW people buying the base game, packs and Sims 3 store. TS3 is actually profitable for EA again! :smiley:
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    To be honest I would have preferred they start work on Sims 5. There are a lot of things I like about Sims 4 - I love being able ato create a sim by just pulling things rather than using sliders etc, I like the building tools, I love how the world looks, I love how they can multi-task etc so much better. However, I went back and played Sims 3 recently and it reminded me of how much Sims 4 is missing. I really miss the open world, a lot. It made the world seem so much more alive. I also enormously miss create a style, and being able to customise hair colours etc. I know open world is an enormously complicated thing and I do understand why they didn't put it in Sims 4, but create a style? Changing the colour of a T shirt etc should be doable. I don't like the way that the worlds are so much smaller and more limited as to where you can build etc - edit town in Sims 3 was brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Sims 4 and there is still a lot they can do, but really what I would like is Sims 5 incorporating the best elements of both games as well as introducing new ones.

I agree. I'm one of the people waiting for TS5. I would much rather be informed if they start work on TS5. Anything to give me hope and something to look forward to. I would also very much want to be one of the people to give my input on that. One of the things I dislike about TS4 is that they're so cheap about content in their packs. I want it to go back to the way things were back in TS1 to TS3 - they were very generous about stuffing their EPs and SPs with gameplay and or meaningful items. And because of how amazing the content was, lots of people bought these games - a whole lot more than TS4 that's for sure.

And of course, TS5 needs to come back to open world and CASt, and the return of creative control back to the player and allow us to customize these worlds anyway we want. That's one of the major reasons why I haven't bought TS4 at all - it's because EA took away the ability to make the game our own and cut off a lot of different types of players.

In regard to open world, such complaints about it aren't valid anymore as new computers have caught up with the demands of an open world environment. Also a lot of the complaints made about it are by people who haven't really made any effort to find solutions for them and don't want to so that they can keep complaining about it. From my own experience, I've found solutions for EVERY problem/issue I had come across in playing TS3 - all very easy to follow and didn't take as long as I thought to work out. And some people even went through the trouble of fixing it for other people through mods, writing instructions or even save games or files. But everything has been fixable in TS3, so if TS5 is open world, there are plenty of tech-savvy people who will find solutions and help other people out.

I'm sure some people will say, why not just stay with TS3? I do because I love it so much! But I'm also thinking about the future of The Sims series. Open world to me is a MUST - it is forward-thinking and progress!, but I think there is room for development to give an option to turn that off in TS5. They just need to create a game engine that can do BOTH.

Terrain tools also have to come back and the all magical "constrainfloorelevation false" cheat. That's another reason why I didn't buy TS4. And the lots are SO SMALL! There needs to be larger lot options in TS4!!! I don't know how people can stand the claustrophobia of TS4 lots and neighborhoods!

Anyway, I really hope EA will start announcing development of TS5 soon at least! It would be nice if they release it in 2020 for The Sim's 20th Anniversary!

Everything you said is what I have been saying for the past few years! :smiley:

If they drag TS4 out for another few years then that would be a loss really. I mean they could have given TS3 a couple more years while they worked on TS4 and actually made it less 'barebone' and more complete from the start?

Oh well, at least we know that TS5 will be complete when it is here?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

Everything you said is what I have been saying for the past few years! :smiley:

If they drag TS4 out for another few years then that would be a loss really. I mean they could have given TS3 a couple more years while they worked on TS4 and actually made it less 'barebone' and more complete from the start?

Oh well, at least we know that TS5 will be complete when it is here?

Good insight! If they had put out at least another couple EPs and maybe 4 SPs, as well as Sims 3 store content, they would have made a lot more money from TS3 (and I'd be weeping with joy!) and that money used to further develop TS4's engine so that it wasn't so limited. I know the devs were saying that TS3 couldn't handle anymore EPs, but everybody already learned to swap out EPs if it got to be too much. I wish that they realized this!

If they want to continue to develop TS4, then so be it. But I wish they would start announcing plans for TS5 engine development and start asking us for input. I already have some great ideas about that! And if they want my money, I wouldn't mind if they start posting new content for TS3 again (because that's the only way they're getting my money at this time, lol!).
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    Meh...I dunno lol. I have not been here for a long while (lol I got my ninth anniversary badge when I logged in).....to be honest I was just randomly searching YouTube for like the sims 5.

I saw the jungle adventure pack, looked interesting and that lead me back here. To be honest they could have produced some more content for the sims 3 and likewise they took so long to add the missing features in the sims 4, that I lost interest midway (what are we like 5 years in now?). Anyway lol I was just passing through and peeked in out of interest. Hi to any that remember me lol.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

Nope. The 5 million was confirmed in an interview after the 5M button had been seen. Sorry. Odds are that that 10M button really does mean 10 million sold, and that Simmers who really want this version to be unpopular are the ones who don't have facts on their side, just anecdotes. Unhappy people are often noisier and more visible than happy ones.

Lol, oh right! As if interviews are a legitimate source. Nope! I've been looking for concrete numbers and I've been looking at EA's quarterly and annual financial reports. Nowhere in those reports do they ever give concrete numbers of their sales for TS4 specifically. It is always "The Sims" products as a whole (which would mean TS3 is included as well because it STILL sells and charts well!).

Plus, what does 5M or 10M mean??? TS4 has more packs than TS1 through TS3, but there is less gameplay and meaningful content for each pack!

Also, if you look at the most popular Sims forums, the most active sections are always TS3! People are still passionately involved playing that game because it is so flexible and we can make it any we want! And since computers have caught up to the requirements of TS3, more people have returned to it, buying what packs they missed before as well as NEW people buying the base game, packs and Sims 3 store. TS3 is actually profitable for EA again! :smiley:

Lol as if some “popular Sims forum” you can’t even name is a legitmate source. Traditional forums are dying anyway; even the most popular ones don’t have a tiny faction of the userbase as social networks like YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, etc. TS4 is far more popular than TS3 on those places.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited June 2018
    So I own every pack for the Sims 4 except toddlers (feel free to gift! lol) and running a beefy high end computer. Having recently installed Seasons+all packs, while frame rate is steady at 1440p without issues, its also using a lot more resources compared to just the base game (more memory, ect).

Now Variety has reported 3 more years of Sims 4 content is being planned (medieval/renaissance world gamepack pls!) and that means a lot more packs to come.

In terms of game performance, that requires serious optimization, but will also present us with a version of the Sims we've never experienced content wise and I think will be pretty amazing if they make the right choices/keep the quality high.

As for the Sims 5, its going to seem bare bones compared to the Sims 4 and there seems to be this general idea it should be open world, include a color/style wheel (i really just want one for hair colors and I WANT IT FOR SIMS 4...um sorry) and have realistic graphics. Basically the Sims 3 with skins/mods, a 2.0 version without the bugs.

If the Sims 3 proved anything all of those features used a LOT of resources! For all those things to happen in the Sims 5, you will need a pretty decent rig just to run the base game at 1080p, let alone 2k or 4k. Then comes the "packs" and I suspect after 2 years the Sims 5 will require a high end computer and I honestly believe 50% of the Sims community are using laptops that wouldn't be able to handle that.

So planning 3 more years for the Sims 4 is both a good and a bad move for what will come, I think its great though if you love the Sims 4.

Plus 3 years is an interesting number considering it end of life cycle for Sony/Microsoft current consoles, meaning the Sims 5 might be planned for the next generation but thats complete conjecture on my part.

One piece of advice - if your computer is having any issues running the Sims 4 at high settings with all the packs installed now, you might want to plan for an upgrade in the next few years to run new packs. Especially if you have any hope of running the version everybody seems to expect of the Sims 5.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I suspect it's 3 years just because that's probably about the outside amount of time needed to plan a large pack, and that a year from now it would be 3 years still. A rolling 3 years. It's a structure a lot of creative production companies work in: you're always thinking a certain amount of time out because that's how long you can think out.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    A rolling 3 years is fine with me. EA's basing all their ports on the style of Sims 4 anyway.

If EA turns out a Sims 5 before Sims 4 is complete, I swear I won't buy it. I didn't pay over £300 to be sold half a game.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top