Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

3 More Years For Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Sims 4 just got confirmed to have sold over 10m copies. At this rate, it will outsell Sims 2 and 3.
    Financially, EA has no reason to move on to Sims 5.

Will be exciting to see what new packs they are working on :)

Lol! There is NO proof of that! Also the claim that it sold 5 million. They both came from tweets from some Sim Guru but THEY ARE NOT OFFICIAL NUMBERS!

Nope. The 5 million was confirmed in an interview after the 5M button had been seen. Sorry. Odds are that that 10M button really does mean 10 million sold, and that Simmers who really want this version to be unpopular are the ones who don't have facts on their side, just anecdotes. Unhappy people are often noisier and more visible than happy ones.
    Incorrect. The 5 million was confirmed a year after it had been tweeted, after toddlers and Parenthood had been added which gave the game an enormous boost. Thén they said the game had sold more than 5 million copies and they didn’t link that to the 5M tweet. They just said that yes, the game had sold over 5 million copies (when asked). “Odds are” is not the same thing as a confirmation either. Nor does the fact many people aren’t over the moon about the game have a relation to how it sells. Not least because many of those people are in fact buyers themselves.

(I haven’t seen a 10M button by the way, but does it refer to basegames?)

Not wrong. It was indeed confirmed after that there were over 5 million sales. Nothing I have said there is untrue; I did not say that the meaning of "5M" was confirmed specifically (though it's common sense), nor does "after" mean right away. On top of that, it was less than a year - the button was seen in summer 2016 and the interview was posted in mid-March 2017, before the Parenthood GP.

Given that and that a capital M after a number is a very normal, everyday, common abbreviation for "million" (just like K is for "thousand"), I really think anyone who can't see the connection to the 5M pin is in some serious denial. Another two years later after that 5M pin and actually after the Toddler update and after a Pets expansion, I have no problem believing that they'd have hit 10M. Is it really impossible to believe that Sims 4 is as popular as Sims 3 was, just because you don't enjoy it? What on earth other explanation do you have for a 5M button out from a company that does not release specific sales figures but that's confirmed months later to indeed have surpassed 5M in sales, and is joined 2 years later after much-desired additions, by a 10M button? What does it stand for if not for 5 million and now 10 million base game sales?

Sometimes I just don't understand why people who don't like Sims 4 are often so determined to not see the evidence in front of them and accept that other people do like it, enough of them that it's genuinely successful. Lots of people like things I don't like. It's normal. It's okay.

The footage of that interview was posted in March 2017 but the actual interview took place in October 2016 during a City Living pre-release event, which was before the toddler update.

Here's the video we have. SimGuruLyndsay confirmed it around the 3:00 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGt3AW_ROQ0
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited June 2018
    Good news honestly.

If I have packs like Seasons to look forward to in the future along with other features that's definitely something to be excited about. Can definitely tell a bigger difference in the first expansion released compared to now. Really excited what they'll do more with hairstyles, as they really made some beautiful ones in Seasons. Not to mention even if the complaints with bugs I find them to be fixing bugs way better than they use to in any other game.

This game is supported greatly.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    They just released a patch now within days of the release of Seasons. This is why the game can go on longer. Support for it can happen in a matter of days, rather than weeks or months. People say the past games could only hold/handle so much content. I feel like part of this kind of more immediate patching system can better deal with those sorts of limitations.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    edited June 2018
    I also would have been more excited to hear that Sims 5 will be coming rather than extending 4. I like 4. I have all the packs. The graphics and UI are fantastic. But I still play 3 way more often. For me, I will never completely love 4 because of the small worlds and the emotion system. I much prefer the more subtle moodlets in TS3 that leave some things to the imagination and let a Sim’s traits show through. No matter what they add to TS4, nothing will change that.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    I just want to correct some information in this thread. TS2 did not last four years and nine months. It was only four years and two months. No big deal I guess about the correct dates of stuff but facts matter. It ended in Nov. 2008 with the release of Mansion and Garden. "The Store" stayed open until 2011. But without any new content.

Officially, TS3 ended in Aug. of 2014 with the release of new, last store content. So that equals 5 yrs and 6 months. Which is a heck of a long time for pc gaming unless you are WOW. I would hate to think TS4 goes on forever like WOW or one of those other games my great grand children would be playing. Snooze fest.

If we continue on forever, we might never see gradual gray hair, gradual aging, ability to change traits by action over a gradual period of time, just like people change, over time. A change over time in interests in hobbies and other Sims,...just like people lose interest in others and things or activities. We might never see the Sim be able to see the neighborhood trees or sit on top of a cliff and hang their feet over that edge. The Sim pick up world objects and move them etc. Awareness. ETA: A world that changes just like earth. A new tree growing here, one dying over there. And not spawners. And how about reflection? Sims being aware of all their years and reflecting upon those years they make life changing decissions based upon what made them reflective...be it good or bad.

All games have their limits.

I know many love TS4 but it's not the be all, end all (and neither was TS2, omg did I say that?) if we stop dreaming of what is possible with a new way of playing we might be stuck three more years with not being able to get out of that box. How many years before they swim in all bodies of water? It has too many limits if it takes years....and years....

I'm hoping they come to their senses. :)

The live service though, means they can pretty much rewrite the game as they see fit, the issue that comes, is budget.

For example, the Seasons patch literally rewrote 2GB’s worth of games files.

It’s actually bigger than all the GP’s and some EPs.

Previously they were stuck with what was there, now they can change it whenever they want.

For example, they were able to change how Bowling Stuff worked a year after release, based on feedback. In previous games they would have to wait for next time.

So why spend heaps of money building yet another base game, when they can just keep rebuilding what they have based on feedback?

Graham even said things like going from closed world to open neighbourhoods is completely possible. They just didn’t have any plans.

So this game doesn’t really have limits aside from budget.

You may not even realise but this game is completely different to the game we had in 2014.

Going back to that without patches feels like it’s missing so much even more than when it launched. The UI was boring, the AI is non existent, Sims literally walk through everything (they still walk though but only it there’s no other way, I literally saw sims walk through counters).

They didn’t even have an animation for when Sims couldn’t go places, like the waving of the arms. They literally just walk through anything.

So much has changed already, it’s almost like I’m playing a different version of the game.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Sims 4 just got confirmed to have sold over 10m copies. At this rate, it will outsell Sims 2 and 3.

Lol! There is NO proof of that! Also the claim that it sold 5 million. They both came from tweets from some Sim Guru but THEY ARE NOT OFFICIAL NUMBERS!

Nope. The 5 million was confirmed in an interview after the 5M button had been seen. Sorry. Odds are that that 10M button really does mean 10 million sold, and that Simmers who really want this version to be unpopular are the ones who don't have facts on their side, just anecdotes. Unhappy people are often noisier and more visible than happy ones.
    Incorrect. The 5 million was confirmed a year after it had been tweeted, after toddlers and Parenthood had been added which gave the game an enormous boost. Thén they said the game had sold more than 5 million copies and they didn’t link that to the 5M tweet. They just said that yes, the game had sold over 5 million copies (when asked). “Odds are” is not the same thing as a confirmation either. Nor does the fact many people aren’t over the moon about the game have a relation to how it sells. Not least because many of those people are in fact buyers themselves.

(I haven’t seen a 10M button by the way, but does it refer to basegames?)

Not wrong. It was indeed confirmed after that there were over 5 million sales. Nothing I have said there is untrue; I did not say that the meaning of "5M" was confirmed specifically (though it's common sense), nor does "after" mean right away. On top of that, it was less than a year - the button was seen in summer 2016 and the interview was posted in mid-March 2017, before the Parenthood GP.

Given that and that a capital M after a number is a very normal, everyday, common abbreviation for "million" (just like K is for "thousand"), I really think anyone who can't see the connection to the 5M pin is in some serious denial. Another two years later after that 5M pin and actually after the Toddler update and after a Pets expansion, I have no problem believing that they'd have hit 10M. Is it really impossible to believe that Sims 4 is as popular as Sims 3 was, just because you don't enjoy it? What on earth other explanation do you have for a 5M button out from a company that does not release specific sales figures but that's confirmed months later to indeed have surpassed 5M in sales, and is joined 2 years later after much-desired additions, by a 10M button? What does it stand for if not for 5 million and now 10 million base game sales?

Sometimes I just don't understand why people who don't like Sims 4 are often so determined to not see the evidence in front of them and accept that other people do like it, enough of them that it's genuinely successful. Lots of people like things I don't like. It's normal. It's okay.

The footage of that interview was posted in March 2017 but the actual interview took place in October 2016 during a City Living pre-release event, which was before the toddler update.

Here's the video we have. SimGuruLyndsay confirmed it around the 3:00 mark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGt3AW_ROQ0
    Yes, that’s the footage I was referring to (this was the first time the community heard about it in March 2017). Does the Spanish voice say it was October 2016? I think Sims 4 sells greatly and I also think this is an important ingredient for them to continue the game for as long as it will, regardless whether players are satisfied with the result or not.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    The game as sold over 5 million physical copies across all platforms, 3.8M being from PC/Mac.

There’s no way the game hasn’t crossed 10 million. It would mean for every physical copy, only one digital copy is sold.

And we know that digital is much more popular than physical. There’s no way in 2018 that’s its 50/50.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2018
    ElenPink wrote: »
    If a Sims 5 is ever released I am not getting it.

I honestly just wish they could stop at TS4 and simply keep upgrading it.

I wish they just stopped the sims 4 now >:)

However I do feel seasons is the best pack this series as had <3
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    They just released a patch now within days of the release of Seasons. This is why the game can go on longer. Support for it can happen in a matter of days, rather than weeks or months. People say the past games could only hold/handle so much content. I feel like part of this kind of more immediate patching system can better deal with those sorts of limitations.

I'm not sure a live service patch every month but problems still exist since 2014 with things that haven't been fixed is better than they way TS2 got a patch within two weeks of an EP and problems basically solved. 99% of them. Yes, modders fixed some emergency releases but usually Maxis bug team patched up everything the EP may have broken within two weeks and no more worries until the next EP six to eight months later.

In TS4 it seems more things remain broken for several years and or rebroken. Much like TS3 was handled with reoccuring patches problems. ETA: I can literally say, I'm too old to deal with all that sort of bull anymore.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    The primary reason Sims 4 has no end date is because they don't intend to end it.

I wonder that nobody has really referred to the fact that all other versions are based on the Sims 4 PC version. See, if they updated to Sims 5, all those other versions would look out of date and nobody would buy them or their expansions or extra stuff. But it would cost a lot of money to change them too.

Now while there are a ton of people saying "I want Sims 5", they are STILL PLAYING SIMS 4. Why would EA cater to a minority, especially when this minority is still giving them lots of money anyway.

It strongly suggests that this is the last itteration of The Sims for a long time,

The same reasons they went ahead with TS4 though players were still loving TS3. If EA says we are going this direction and the game must have this or that etc. (like a VR feature, I'm just giving an example) then Maxis would have to drop TS4 like a hot potato and go to work on a new game. It all depends on what direction EA decides to go in the next few years. In my opinion I can't believe they are really going to stick with their Origin program for several more years. It's not up to par with what they wanted to do with it. And that was to become as big and necessary as Google, literally. (Search engine, browser, advertizer, data collector, manipulator of what we see and know)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    The single biggest complaint when a new iteration launches is the lack of content compared to the previous iteration.
    (Even TS2 wasn't immune to this sentiment for a brief time)

Now that TS4 is rapidly closing the gap (content wise) to previous iterations... the complaints have gradually ( and predictably) subsided.

TS5 would be no different. No matter the updated graphics or innovations...there would be people lamenting the lack of base game content, and continue to play this (or previous iterations)...until the new one catches up.
    It only makes sense to keep the train rolling for as long possible before starting that painful proccess all over again.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    The single biggest complaint when a new iteration launches is the lack of content compared to the previous iteration.

Now that TS4 is rapidly closing the gap (content wise) to previous iterations... the complaints have gradually ( and predictably) subsided.

TS5 would be no different. No matter the updated graphics or innovations...there would be people lamenting the lack of base game content, and continue to play this (or previous iterations)...until the new one catches up.
    It only makes sense to keep the train rolling for as long possible before starting that painful proccess all over again.

Not only this, but I think a lot of people are romantisizing their expectations of what Sims 5 will be. Somehow there's already confidence that it will be the "best Sims ever!" just because Sims 4 didn't meet all expectations. If it ever is announced, I'm going to brace for the next round of outrage because I see some people building it up into something completely unrealistic. And most likely, a new group of play styles will be left out of the mix. With so many different types of players and so many different types of preferences, there's no way they can satisfy all Simmers.

#Team Occult
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I'm glad they made this choice. I'm enjoying the game a lot, so at least 3 more years of content is okay by me.

Besides, for the Sims, I can't juggle its iterations. I enjoyed TS3, but after playing TS4 for as much as I have, I can't go back to it. I even tried multiple times to get back into TS3. Failed every time.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member

You're right. I did that with TS4. I didn't buy this game until it was nearly 2 years into its life. I prefer having at least a substantial pack or two when I first start the Sims and I'll likely do the same thing in TS5. (Unless that game happens to have a lot of content in its basegame)
  • Options
    The game as sold over 5 million physical copies across all platforms, 3.8M being from PC/Mac.

There’s no way the game hasn’t crossed 10 million. It would mean for every physical copy, only one digital copy is sold.

And we know that digital is much more popular than physical. There’s no way in 2018 that’s its 50/50.

We don’t know how many physical copies have been sold. Whatever numbers you saw are definitely made up.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    @elelunicy wrote: »

We don’t know how many physical copies have been sold. Whatever numbers you saw are definitely made up.

VG Charts tracks physical sales, and they’re extremely accurate when it comes to Retail sales.
    Which is why people use them.

They don’t track digital sales, though.

Not made up at all.
  • Options
    elelunicy wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »

VG Charts tracks physical sales, and they’re extremely accurate when it comes to Retail sales.
    Which is why people use them.

They don’t track digital sales, though.

Not made up at all.

VGChartz doesn’t track physical sales. They track imaginary numbers they make up. There isn’t a single major retailer that provides sales data to them and they’re absolutely not capable of tracking physical sales. They are nothing more than a scam site that attracts traffic by making up numbers.

No one should ever reference their numbers as it’s worse than useless (i.e. misleading). There’s a reason why they’re a banned source on many major gaming forums.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I think what we need here is an *official word* to confirm how many copies of this game really did sell well?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I think what we need here is an *official word* to confirm how many copies of this game really did sell well?

agreed.

they were always so proud to announce it with the other series.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    LiELF wrote: »

Not only this, but I think a lot of people are romantisizing their expectations of what Sims 5 will be. Somehow there's already confidence that it will be the "best Sims ever!" just because Sims 4 didn't meet all expectations. If it ever is announced, I'm going to brace for the next round of outrage because I see some people building it up into something completely unrealistic. And most likely, a new group of play styles will be left out of the mix. With so many different types of players and so many different types of preferences, there's no way they can satisfy all Simmers.

But you might be one of the outraged, you never know. What if they left out kids or teens the next time? Or mulittasking or being able to remodel a community building while playing (like TS2 didn't allow it) etc. They might leave out something all of us think should be carried forward like it has been carried forward since TS2. You never know what might wind up grinding your gears and join the rest of us who would be demaning those are base game features and should have been in base game. lol
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    LiELF wrote: »

Speaking for myself, it’s Sims 4’s basegame (the whole set up with the emotions and the malfunctioning multitasking and the loading screens system, meaning uncontrollable sims at the other end and no cohesion between neighborhoods and no travelling) where the problem lies. And the sims’ behaviour (very self centered and with a total lack of a memory system). No pack (and the game has some good packs by now) can fix that for me, just make it more bearable/enjoyable. That’s why I long for a new Sims basegame more than anything. Not because there’s a guarantee it will be better, but because there’s a chance.

(again, purely speaking for myself, just to explain why some of us do prefer a new Sims game to a Sims 4 game being dragged on for years to come)(and I think we are more than entitled to after four years)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    Grant just spoke of the game being made for 5, 10, 15 years and the tons of packs it can have - as someone asked in the Q &A this evening:

But sounds to me Sims 5 is a long - long - long ways away. They need to move this out of speculation and rumor - I think.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So I own every pack for the Sims 4 except toddlers (feel free to gift! lol) and running a beefy high end computer. Having recently installed Seasons+all packs, while frame rate is steady at 1440p without issues, its also using a lot more resources compared to just the base game (more memory, ect).

Now Variety has reported 3 more years of Sims 4 content is being planned (medieval/renaissance world gamepack pls!) and that means a lot more packs to come.

In terms of game performance, that requires serious optimization, but will also present us with a version of the Sims we've never experienced content wise and I think will be pretty amazing if they make the right choices/keep the quality high.

As for the Sims 5, its going to seem bare bones compared to the Sims 4 and there seems to be this general idea it should be open world, include a color/style wheel (i really just want one for hair colors and I WANT IT FOR SIMS 4...um sorry) and have realistic graphics. Basically the Sims 3 with skins/mods, a 2.0 version without the bugs.

If the Sims 3 proved anything all of those features used a LOT of resources! For all those things to happen in the Sims 5, you will need a pretty decent rig just to run the base game at 1080p, let alone 2k or 4k. Then comes the "packs" and I suspect after 2 years the Sims 5 will require a high end computer and I honestly believe 50% of the Sims community are using laptops that wouldn't be able to handle that.

So planning 3 more years for the Sims 4 is both a good and a bad move for what will come, I think its great though if you love the Sims 4.

Plus 3 years is an interesting number considering it end of life cycle for Sony/Microsoft current consoles, meaning the Sims 5 might be planned for the next generation but thats complete conjecture on my part.

One piece of advice - if your computer is having any issues running the Sims 4 at high settings with all the packs installed now, you might want to plan for an upgrade in the next few years to run new packs. Especially if you have any hope of running the version everybody seems to expect of the Sims 5.

Even though the PS5 is coming out next year that don't mean that they will quit adding packs to the PS4.
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Lol, oh right! As if interviews are a legitimate source. Nope! I've been looking for concrete numbers and I've been looking at EA's quarterly and annual financial reports. Nowhere in those reports do they ever give concrete numbers of their sales for TS4 specifically. It is always "The Sims" products as a whole (which would mean TS3 is included as well because it STILL sells and charts well!).

Plus, what does 5M or 10M mean??? TS4 has more packs than TS1 through TS3, but there is less gameplay and meaningful content for each pack!

Also, if you look at the most popular Sims forums, the most active sections are always TS3! People are still passionately involved playing that game because it is so flexible and we can make it any we want! And since computers have caught up to the requirements of TS3, more people have returned to it, buying what packs they missed before as well as NEW people buying the base game, packs and Sims 3 store. TS3 is actually profitable for EA again! :smiley:

When they get a button for 5 M or 10 M that is for base games sold.

Also you want to see some actual numbers and/or percentages of growth in Sims 4 pc - you need to read the Q and A section of the Earning Conference where the Big Investors ask specific question and where the CEO usually specifies whether the answer is pc or mobile. The CEO mainly talks about the pc version to be honest - he tends to lump their mobile games all together like single entity but when he talks about the Sims 4 - he says pc game. Believe me EA is very happy with Sims 4 pc.

King of Sim City - Sims 3 could not have taken any more packs - as it's engine just like Sims 1 and 2's engines had pre-sets on the number of packs they could have and run - it had taken all it was slated and pre-set to have. ITF took it's last preset- alloted EP slot. Sims 4 does not have pre set ep allotments like previous sims games had - it basically looks limit - less and should work well with EA's future plans.

To add Sims 4 also runs on 64 bit. They other sim games only run on 32 bit so I don't think 3 more years of packs will make it harder for most pc's to play unless they're running low on Harddrive Space.
  • Options
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for anybody who wants the sims 5.
    but at the same time this games still a bag if bones. still waiting for the rest of its body parts.

Seasons helped chip away at that. We got more content in Seasons so far then in any other pack.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top