Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About 3 and a half years into Sims 4, how would you rate it?

Comments

• Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Interesting how based on the replies you would think the majority dislike this game, but based on the poll results, most actually do like it. I guess it's about the vocal minority.

Nobody has the numbers of those who like it vs those who do not, but everybody can see that The Sims 4 is the most controversial entries in the main series if they go on any website that focuses on The Sims, gaming, simulation, etc. I have never seen such a large margin between people who like the game and those who just flat out think it was an utter miss.

I think that's telling enough.

Yes now that I look at the numbers (slightly shifted since I posted) I would agree with this - the opinions appear to be more polarized than anything else. Seems many either love it or hate it.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited January 2018
    Has it really almost been 3 1/2 years? This game feels so incomplete for such a long time, I kind of feel like its still a brand new game.

And I feel so restricted in Sims 4.Throw a party and I have to meet certain goals, like wth, can't I just throw a bash and let everyone do what they want.Go on a date and they must "kiss" you know not everyone kisses on a first date.Go to a restaurant to eat and the families just play musical chairs non-stop.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited January 2018
    5 out of ten. It has its moments of greatness, but they aren't enough to give it a thing more than "it's not bad" for me
    Post edited by Shadowmarked on
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Well, I gave it a 6. It's in somewhat decent shape now, but it's still missing a lot compared to previous iterations. I have fun playing it, and it's an okay game, but even okay becomes mediocre compared to stellar predecessors. Sims 2 is still my favorite, because what it did, it did really well for its time.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited January 2018
    Trouble is when I got the game between my hands, I only enjoy half of it. I only play with the awesomeness and I put the rest I don't really care of . I do that even in sims 3 I am a big fan of because my town is crowded but in ts4 it's too much repetitive so I only focus on 1 or at least 2 families.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    I rate the game 5 out of 10. Now let me first say that I have never had the experience of playing any of the other Sims before 4. I only messed around with 3 during a free trial, didn't really have the time necessary to invest in learning the camera movement which frustrated me.

However, I enjoy building the most but when I do decide to play a game & set up my story the things that gave me my score are:

1. I don't enjoy just seeing random Sims walking around my house. I want to see my neighbors, in their yards doing neighbor stuff. I want to be able to leave my yard & walk next door to say hello without a loading screen.

2. Why can't I send my date home in a cab? Why? It is the most annoying thing I have ever witnessed in this game. How can they say they simulate life when no one just leaves their date as soon as it ends. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

3. No color wheel for us builders. I am so tire of not having all my woodwork match, things like that.

4. Get to Work is basically broken. I really was looking forward to being a detective. How can you do anything if all your Sim wants to do while collecting clues is watch television or get on a computer?

5. Sims are way to obsessed with being on a device (though art does represent life). This just depressed me. LOL

6. All of the Festivals are misplaced on top already existing structures often making it difficult to actually use the vendors. This is problematic on my one Sim who is a critic & needs to speak to vendors who don't show up because their is a trash can in the middle of their booth. This type of problem shouldn't even exist. I know 4th graders who can write code better than this.

7. Again I love to build so where are my wrap-around sofas, porch swings, tire swing for a tree or my sliding doors? This game claims to be able to create yet there is no foundation tool & a variety of staircases? To many where's for a game that has been out for this much time.

8. Seasons......should have been built in the base game.....along with things like toddlers, pools, laundry.

Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I gave it a 5, though I was teetering between a 4 and a 5. It's not absolutely horrible but I am highly disappointed with most of the decisions leading to The Sims 4.

I don't get the vision. At all. Supposedly their vision is about being able to bring sims to life in deeper and uniquely personal ways but I haven't experienced that at all. None of this "new" stuff has revolutionized my sims. Most of what they tried to sell us on for the base game isn't new and if anything it's now a hindrance.

Emotions aren't new and the previous Sims games did it better. No, my sims have never had emotions like they do in this game according to one guru, but they had better emotions in the past. Multitasking isn't new either, it was just less obvious and more natural in the previous games. Now it's a main feature for some reason and most of it isn't even multitasking, just pausing in one task to do another. The build features, while nice, are severely lacking when compared to what we used to have in just the base game and then when they should've expanded in building tools to accommodate builders like with City Living they just missed the boat completely.

So that leaves CAS and it's great but it means nothing when I actually get those sims in the game and play them because of emotions and how they overrun traits. That's my biggest issue with this game. My sims don't act like the sims I created. I can make them in TS3 and TS2 and they'll have different personalities, the personalities I want them to have. All I have to do is a little bit of molding to instill certain habits, but I make them in TS4 and everyone acts the same. No matter what I do they all act the same. They won't sit still, they won't shut up, and they're expressions are just too over the top and overly dramatic for what I have in mind for most of the types of sims I like to play. I can't even have sims have an A & B conversations without C, D, E, F, and G interrupting, even when I control most of them and they're supposed to be doing something else.

Then there's EP's, GP's and SP's. I'm wondering if there's any point in EP's anymore, because it seems like they put more quality work into GP's, or if they should do away with GP's and make EP's with more quality and detail like players have been asking for. They just took features that could've been in an EP out and decided to go in depth with it. While that's nice and all I would've preferred they go in depth with an EP as a whole instead. All of it is stuff that could've, and in my opinion should've, been in the EP's. The same can be said about SP's too but with those I've always viewed them as bonus content. They're nothing major but if you want some extra clothes, more furniture, a bit more variety, etc. then there's a stuff pack.

Now we have a Laundry Day SP. That's how laundry was introduced to this game and oddly enough was the moment where I definitively knew that I was done even trying to give this game a shot anymore. I don't even know why that was the proverbial straw of all things because there have been many, many moments over the course of this game that have left me confused, irritated, frustrated, and staring at my computer screen wondering what in the world is happening but it was and I'm surprised it took this long for me to just say screw it. A testament to how much I love The Sims series I guess, but while not major to me laundry isn't exactly minor either. It's one of those game features that should've been in an EP if not the base game.

And that it supposedly was made a SP because we wouldn't have gotten it other wise since the other two teams didn't want to do it or whatever doesn't exactly build confidence because I don't understand what is going on with either the devs or their resources. Laundry could've been in any of the (is it really only) four expansion packs. Especially the last two. It makes me wonder how many other things that could've been placed in other packs were just left on the cutting room floor for some reason. Then there are other things like the loading screens which break immersion, the cartoony art style that I teeter between feelings of eh/hate with, the lack of control I as a player have and being confined to Maxis provided color swatches again.

Right from the start, even without toddlers, without pools, without so many of the other things that players looked for and asked about because why wouldn't those things be in the game, there was talk about the potential this game has. It's 3 and a half years later and it's still like this game first came out and is floating by on potential. I can see it has potential, but something is clearly holding it back. It's like it just broke loose from one of four shackles. It's improved some, but not in a way that could compete with or even beat its predecessors with base game content and similar packs to compare. I can't even attempt to pretend that everything that came before it didn't exist. I can't forget it, and most of what they've provided hasn't distracted me from the existence of previous features either because most of what we have now I'd trade in a heartbeat to have features from the past back. The problem with The Sims 4 is that 4 on the end.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2018
    Rating the game overall was hard. I might be biased by now because I haven't played this game since this past early Aug. And have no desire to light it up again anytime soon. As a series that boast live service that tells me they aren't keeping me interested as much as this live service is supposed to do. Ironically all the interruptions for the past three years were an annoyance and a headache for someone who grabbed the lastest EP in the past series titles and happily run away and stay silent and happy playing until the next big thing.

I had to give it a four because of the buggy Origin, and the buggy game. If you pour all that on top of a game I felt didn't live up to past titles in this series, then it brought the score down to a four but I would have given it a six if some of those problems didn't exist.

A six because despite my own personal dislike of this game's moodlet system (worst ever) and it's over redunant use of particular objects in the game for almost everything, and it's over use of overlapping emotions with traits making it extremely difficult to build or find a unique Sim in that bag of tricks, it did have some good ideas.
    I wish TS2 or TS3 did have some of those ideas and I can see if someone never played the previous games they would like this game, and would never think there was anything wrong with their controlled Sim running half way across the map to speak to someone though you asked that someone to come over and talk to your controlled Sim. Since all that is backwards it bothered me to no end, being a long time fan of how the mechanics normally worked in the series before TS4 came along. That is only a minor annoyance that drove me batty.

Let alone the fact Sims go off with nothing in their queue and I wonder who is zooming who? Are they controlling me or am I controlling them. It got to be way too much considering the bugs, those crazy backwards mechanics, and the lack of personality. Let alone the need to define an individual just wasn't in this game at all. One Sim who felt all emotions and even carry over traits, (does that make sense? no) for all genders, ages, life spans. That is the essence of TS4 to me. You might as well just clone the one Sim and you wouldn't notice any differences from one to the other in the towns, just a name change and slap on some different hair etc.

But it did have it's moments, and if you have never played a Sim title then I can see where people wouldn't understand what is really wrong with it.

ETA: And apple blossom time is not for my taste in gaming. Unicorns and rainbows, no.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Interesting how based on the replies you would think the majority dislike this game, but based on the poll results, most actually do like it. I guess it's about the vocal minority.

This is probably a matter of disputes over what counts as average. Those grading with 5 as an average vote for it, those treating this like a school system and C as an average probably voted 7. As such I'd say that most people view the game as bland and average.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I voted 9 out of ten its my favorite game but 10 out of 10 would be prefect and nothings prefect
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

This is probably a matter of disputes over what counts as average. Those grading with 5 as an average vote for it, those treating this like a school system and C as an average probably voted 7. As such I'd say that most people view the game as bland and average.

well if where going to read it how we won't I see it as everyone like it lol
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    edited January 2018

I understand what you are saying, however, have you taken into account that EA has really strange forum rules? A lot of people do not want to have constraints when the desire to post something comes to their minds. I know when I first came to the forums to make a post about something that was bothering me in Sims 4 there as no where I could start a post because of the forum rules. Turns out you need to go through some upgrade system in order to post. EA would rather restrict people from posting than hire someone to prevent bots from trashing the forums.

To be quite honest & I do know that this is not the topic to say this, but in all reality if EA/Maxis had any REAL competition in this gaming genre you wouldn't see this incomplete content hit store shelves.
  • Options
    NehemiahxxNehemiahxx Posts: 12 New Member
    > @Amistri2016 said:
    > DeservedCriticism wrote: »
    >
    > Pegasys wrote: »
    >
    > Interesting how based on the replies you would think the majority dislike this game, but based on the poll results, most actually do like it. I guess it's about the vocal minority.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is probably a matter of disputes over what counts as average. Those grading with 5 as an average vote for it, those treating this like a school system and C as an average probably voted 7. As such I'd say that most people view the game as bland and average.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I understand what you are saying, however, have you taken into account that EA has really strange forum rules? A lot of people do not want to have constraints when the desire to post something comes to their minds. I know when I first came to the forums to make a post about something that was bothering me in Sims 4 there as no where I could start a post because of the forum rules. Turns out you need to go through some upgrade system in order to post. EA would rather restrict people from posting than hire someone to prevent bots from trashing the forums.
    >
    > To be quite honest & I do know that this is not the topic to say this, but in all reality if EA/Maxis had any REAL competition in this gaming genre you wouldn't see this incomplete content hit store shelves.

I rarely post on forums. That being said (and slightly off topic) I completely agree. If some modders banded together to create an even better Sims game, or one that could compete then EA would have no choice but to stay on their toes. I pray someone has the vision to do this. Competition, although sometimes ugly, can encourage the product to become better. I'm sick of EA/Maxis or whomever is responsible, doing the bare minimum for a game that has so much potential. I just want them to be excellent. To give us a fully fleshed game. I wouldn't mind if they even bumped up the prices if that meant the Sims 4 became all that it should be.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited January 2018
    I voted 4/5. This game is still missing so much after almost four years now. Its so disappointing. What's sad is that it had the potential to be a great game back when it first came out. Then it turned out just ok. I think I would have liked it more if had been a spin off game rather than part of the main series.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    For how the vote is split at the current moment:

5/10 and lower 44%
    6/10 and higher 56%
    The two highest scores are 7 out of 10 at 18% with 25 votes
    and 4 out of 10 at 16% with 22 votes
    The likes have that majority by about 12%.

That isn't very large in my mind and feels pretty split
    What I am gathering from this poll is this games quality is highly disputed and subjective.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited January 2018
    BeJaWa wrote: »

5/10 and lower 44%
    6/10 and higher 56%

What I am gathering from this poll is this games quality is highly disputed and subjective.

You're severely simplifying the data into "like" and "dislike" though. I would not exactly imagine that the people who voted 6 are thinking "WOOO BEST GAME EVER OMG IM HAVING SO MUCH FUN," so splitting this into like/dislike is not an accurate depiction of sentiment.

Total up the votes via their appropriate points and then divide by the votes total. The current average is 5.5. It is just barely scraping past average, and yeah, that does an excellent job summarizing a lot of community sentiment seen here and throughout the years:

"Two years of meh."
    "It could be so much better."
    "This game is just one big disappointment after another."
    "It's so frustrating to see this franchise neglected."

People hang around because they wanna convince themselves this game could be great, but they constantly voice discontent because it simply isn't doing that. 5.5 sounds like a very fitting average because it explains both why people are here and why they're constantly voicing dissatisfaction. This game is doing the absolute bare minimum to keep their interest.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options

5/10 and lower 44%
    6/10 and higher 56%

You're severely simplifying the data into "like" and "dislike" though. I would not exactly imagine that the people who voted 6 are thinking "WOOO BEST GAME EVER OMG IM HAVING SO MUCH FUN," so splitting this into like/dislike is not an accurate depiction of sentiment.

Total up the votes via their appropriate points and then divide by the votes total. The current average is 5.5. It is just barely scraping past average, and yeah, that does an excellent job summarizing a lot of community sentiment seen here and throughout the years:

"Two years of meh."

People hang around because they wanna convince themselves this game could be great, but they constantly voice discontent because it simply isn't doing that. 5.5 sounds like a very fitting average because it explains both why people are here and why they're constantly voicing dissatisfaction. This game is doing the absolute bare minimum to keep their interest.

I was talking to the people who were saying the like had the lead. My point was it did but not by much.
    I didn't want to get into the exact how everyone is feeling but I agree with you, I wouldn't call a six or a seven a high score or a strong "like".
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Didn't you know? Anything less than a 10 is pure hatred for the game! :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited January 2018
    4/10 for me. With mods, CC and DLC, 6/10.

I pretty much agree with everything @RnM92 said.

I've moved on to a better game. I'll probably come back since there are some things about TS4 I really like, but I can't recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    Didn't you know? Anything less than a 10 is pure hatred for the game! :D

Everything above a 1 is absolute love for the game too right!

Wait I think we have a paradox now.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Nehemiahxx wrote: »
    > @Amistri2016 said:
    >
    >
    > Interesting how based on the replies you would think the majority dislike this game, but based on the poll results, most actually do like it. I guess it's about the vocal minority.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is probably a matter of disputes over what counts as average. Those grading with 5 as an average vote for it, those treating this like a school system and C as an average probably voted 7. As such I'd say that most people view the game as bland and average.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I understand what you are saying, however, have you taken into account that EA has really strange forum rules? A lot of people do not want to have constraints when the desire to post something comes to their minds. I know when I first came to the forums to make a post about something that was bothering me in Sims 4 there as no where I could start a post because of the forum rules. Turns out you need to go through some upgrade system in order to post. EA would rather restrict people from posting than hire someone to prevent bots from trashing the forums.
    >
    > To be quite honest & I do know that this is not the topic to say this, but in all reality if EA/Maxis had any REAL competition in this gaming genre you wouldn't see this incomplete content hit store shelves.

I rarely post on forums. That being said (and slightly off topic) I completely agree. If some modders banded together to create an even better Sims game, or one that could compete then EA would have no choice but to stay on their toes. I pray someone has the vision to do this. Competition, although sometimes ugly, can encourage the product to become better. I'm sick of EA/Maxis or whomever is responsible, doing the bare minimum for a game that has so much potential. I just want them to be excellent. To give us a fully fleshed game. I wouldn't mind if they even bumped up the prices if that meant the Sims 4 became all that it should be.

Explain to me how modders are going to make a sims game seeing they use the Sims game to make their mods including the games own programming. They cannot make a actual game out of the Sims - only mods - keep that in mind and only because EA allows them to make mods. If EA did not want them to make any mods or CC - they could easily stop it - seeing EA owns every last bit of rights to the Sims and everything about it -

Where would Sims modders be with out the Sims? Think about it. Not a mod or any CC would exist. They can only do what they do because the Sims exist. Building mods and CC on a game that already exists does not even come close to building a new game from scratch and the years, manpower, professional talent, and money needed to undertake such a project.

For me, I will just keep enjoying this game for all the many possible years to come - seeing this is the one I am playing now - that is actually in production, and not wishful thinking on a game that does not even exist, never mind any probability of it ever existing. I will keep my wishful thinking on hopes of things I do want to see eventually in this game seeing it is obviously going to be around for a long time to come. (I also do enjoy previous versions and respect their differences instead of expecting each one to be exactly like the one before. All have pros and cons - I can respect that.)
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Nehemiahxx wrote: »
    > @Amistri2016 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Explain to me how modders are going to make a sims game seeing they use the Sims game to make their mods including the games own programming. They cannot make a actual game out of the Sims - only mods - keep that in mind and only because EA allows them to make mods. If EA did not want them to make any mods or CC - they could easily stop it - seeing EA owns every last bit of rights to the Sims and everything about it -

Where would Sims modders be with out the Sims? Think about it. Not a mod or any CC would exist. They can only do what they do because the Sims exist. Building mods and CC on a game that already exists does not even come close to building a new game from scratch and the years, manpower, professional talent, and money needed to undertake such a project.

For me, I will just keep enjoying this game for all the many possible years to come - seeing this is the one I am playing now - that is actually in production, and not wishful thinking on a game that does not even exist, never mind any probability of it ever existing. I will keep my wishful thinking on hopes of things I do want to see eventually int his game seeing it is obviously going to be around for a long time to come.
    Though I agree with that (what you say about modders), it would have been a bliss if they could (and would) have hired a man like Twallan back in 2009. The thing is, I think the developers are perfectly capable of doing what he did. I guess they don't get the time and the money to do it though. And that's where modders come in.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    For sure - JoAnn. I do think Twallan was not very interested in leaving his actual real life job - he said as much many times. He seemed to like the place he had reached in real life - to be fair.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

5/10 and lower 44%
    6/10 and higher 56%

"Two years of meh."

There are many people who state they love the game, if you want to be a bit more factual you would need to include those as well. I voted 7/10 and for me I didn't mean that as a "C" 70%, I meant it as: "I see opportunities for improvement and it's not perfect, but I really enjoy this game a lot". That is far above "meh."

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Indeed, one person's 7 is another person's 9. But the average of 5,5 (@DeservedCriticism) isn't really impressive I'd say.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top