Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About 3 and a half years into Sims 4, how would you rate it?

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Doesn't matter if the rating by gamers were zero - they count just two things the ratings of the pros and the constant increase in the numbers of people buying and as reported by EA those number rose yet again another 12 percent this past quarter. People say one thing and apparently do another. EA made it clear - they couldn't be happier and that is just the pc and mac Sims 4 - they won't have the numbers on the console till next quarter (this was said in Q&A with the investors during the earning call) and the mobile is not even out until next quarter, so numbers on that will not come out for 6 more months. This game fuels those games - unlike previous consoles and mobiles. EA sees the long term on this game extremely positively as the pc is very strong. It is true people here are obviously in the minority of buyers and supporters of the game. Words of not buying etc get lost, when the proof says differently. Oh and they are not just buying - those numbers are playing the game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Writin_Reg Why would anyone buy but not play ;) It may be uninteresting to EA how people rate their game (that’s part of the problem even, they can afford that, having a monopoly position), that doesn’t make it uninteresting in general. Irrelevant at this point, but not uninteresting.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg Why would anyone buy but not play ;) It may be uninteresting to EA how people rate their game (that’s part of the problem even, they can afford that, having a monopoly position), that doesn’t make it uninteresting in general. Irrelevant at this point, but not uninteresting.

Oh I was talking about the groups that claim to just be collectors - that claim they haven't played in forever or a long time as the ones who claim to buy and not play the game.

I don't find it interesting. I find the daily numbers that show actively playing a lot more interesting seeing people opinions constantly change. Everytime the game brings out something a player suddenly loves they often no longer stand by their opinions - so they are not set in stone like the pros are. Pros are more inclined to stick with the over-allness of the game and not switch positions oven a single pack like players do. Heck I did it myself after first toddlers and then Vamps on top of that. All my hatefulness of the game to that point went right out the window. It changed my entire veiwpoint on this game - believe me. I even went out and bought all the packs I had been missing - and I was not alone. Pros that rate games do not cave like that.

Pros rate on pro points and how well certain play points exist in this game - where as many Fan-players rate on personal preference, the amount of content, a liked missing object or effect added to the game -.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    5/10
    I mainly like the sims, but I find this the least played of all my Sims games.
    I didn't get really interested in it until we got Toddlers and Parenthood, but even with those my playing has fallen off.
    I am waiting for University and Seasons.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    osmanthus10osmanthus10 Posts: 4 New Member
    3/10
    The reason is well explained by other people than I am writing in poor English.

I have not purchased any EA products in 2017.
    If EA wants people to continue buying DLC,
    it should make more interesting games and stop selling like minced minced meat one by one.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited February 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    they count just two things the ratings of the pros and the constant increase in the numbers of people buying and as reported by EA those number rose yet again another 12 percent this past quarter. .

Yes they rose in the past quarter but how much have the numbers decreased and declined since they first released it. I'd love to see those figures released, and to be extra cheeky those numbers could easily indicate how quickly people get bored playing until a new Pack is released
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    they count just two things the ratings of the pros and the constant increase in the numbers of people buying and as reported by EA those number rose yet again another 12 percent this past quarter. .

Yes they rose in the past quarter but how much have the numbers decreased and declined since they first released it. I'd love to see those figures released, and to be extra cheeky those numbers could easily indicate how quickly people get bored playing until a new Pack is released

Earnings call do not run numbers like that (that falls under market fluctuations and accounting - not earning calls) - they only register the active membership growth numbers over the history of the game, not purchase of a pack. It lists the rise in active memberships buying and telemetry on Origin that shows that member playing the base game. The big investors are basically just interested in the numbers of active memberships playing and growth over all period. Those percentages are how much the game has grown. In otherwise - lets say 3 members stop playing but 10 new members join and start playing - so that reflect on growth of 7 over the number from the day before. So the game is constantly growing if for every player that stops playing it added 2 or 3 players to take their place.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

they only register the active membership growth numbers over the history of the game, not purchase of a pack. .

That's pretty much exactly what they've done, if you're talking about that 35% increase stat they released. It specifically references Q3 of their fiscal year, meaning the quarter where they release expansion packs.

There is no reason to specifically call out Q3 in that statistic unless the other quarters indeed don't perform as well as Q3 does. Yes, there is absolutely reason to believe there's fluctuation in sales, and it's all because their own stat specifically praises the success of Q3.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    equiiaddictequiiaddict Posts: 24 Member
    Honestly I would rate it a 5/10. I enjoy the game and I think it's beautiful as far as the graphics are concerned, but it's just a bit boring at times. Even with all the expansion packs, I still find myself getting bored after playing for only a little while and I've always been a hardcore simmer who could easily spend all day playing the older Sims games. (And I still do binge-play Sims 3.) I can't really explain why I feel this way... it just seems, empty. Like it's full of glossy, beautiful characters and near-perfect graphics but the actual gameplay is just dull. Idk.
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Ok so the thread is moving away from it's intent "About 3 and a half years into Sims 4, how would you rate it?". If it continues on this course of derailment the thread will be closed. Thank you.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited February 2018
    850 points / 150 votes = 5.66 out of 10

A teacher would say : "Passable but requires more effort."
  • Options
    850 points / 150 votes = 5.66 out of 10

A teacher would say : "Passable but requires more effort."

LOL.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited February 2018
    6/10

7 for adding Seasons and less idle sims, witches, werewolves
    8 for adding universities, more hobby based things like in TS2
    9 if it was a more fleshed out experience overall.

10 would never happen.
  • Options
    SophiaBlissSophiaBliss Posts: 51 Member
    I rated 5/10 but now that i've layed it all out I wish I could rate it lower. This isn't hate, obviously i'm a fan of Sims and I care which is why I took the time to think about this. I don't like the road we're headed. I haven't played Sims 3 and I was young when the other games were out and don't remember half of it so this is completely unbiased, I think these are basic needs? the graphics are GREAT, absolutely stunning and for that reason I don't think we need to be seeing a Sims 5 anytime soon. there is too much to work on!

~lacking of npcs (burglars, firefighters, police..etc..) - the npcs we currently have barley do their job

~pets, seasons, toddlers, university should of been a base game given we shouldn't have to wait for something we've already had in previous
    games for years, we should be working on new things!

~babys are boring, a waste of time, a furniture piece..same for elders (give them a hobby or something geez)

~repetitive moodlets and not accurate ones.

~not enough life stages in my personal opinion (It's just strange for a 8-10 year old kid to turn into a 17 yr old teenager - atleast get us some height scalers!)

~no transportation (I miss the school buses the most)

~ severely lacking in traits

~ half the get to work jobs are broken

~mission impossible to get to CAS

~annoying townies (why can't we just make our own and have an OPTION of premade ones??)
  • Options
    PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    I give it a 3/10.

If this were a side game, it could maybe be acceptable but it’s not. The sims 4 biggest problem is that the sims 2 & 3 exist. We have lost valuable tools along the way not to mention basic things like car pools, school buses, the repo man, the burglar and countless other basic things like supermarkets. We can’t create our own worlds. I can’t have say a luminous green kitchen with a purple fridge and hot pink counter tops. I can’t build a pond in my sims back garden, I can’t give them a back garden with a hill in it. I can’t hsve two sims hold hands and dance nor can I have them lie on a bed and read a book or just cuddle.
    Don’t get me started on the lack of building tools. Why can’t I build a park without a chess table? Why am I restricted to having community lots I build follow a check list? That wasn’t even a requirement in the sims 1 for crying out loud.

There’s no consequence, I’m not so much playing a game as I am fighting against a moodlet manipulator. Or maybe that’s my role..

For limiting my creativity and forcing me to play a certain way I feel the game deserves the rating I gave it.
    inochikage wrote: »
    Gave it an 8 out of 10. It was broken and bare at launch, but now it's the sims game with the best toddler stage, which does a lot, and when added with the parenting pack, it makes playing with multiple generations, something I don't do on Sims 3, a lot more fun. The game The Sims 4 is now should have been the game at launch. There's also a strangely overwhelming sense of isolation in the sims 4 for me, and it's amplified by whims to leave the lot when it's such a pain to do so, and reduced some by the city living pack that allows you to explore at least a small section of a functioning town while not abandoning your sims at home. If the sims 4 had leaned into that sense of isolation, I feel like it would have been received like The Sims 2, which made it so that leaving the lot wouldn't pass time on your home lot (it's really annoying, I can't have one sims go out and party AND another do their homework for work at the same time. At least in the sims 2, time was a social construct I could mess with so both could get done, and in the sims 3, they could be done simultaneously). Sims 4 is good for isolated households and single-person households, but if you have one social butterfly and one isolated sim in the same household, you're in for some trouble.

I totally agree with these comments but I give the game 8/10 because I am enjoying it a lot at the moment after installing most of the packs. I am trying not to compare it with previous Sim games anymore but play it as it comes. I am disappointed about many things but hopefully this game will run longer than the Sims 1 2 or 3 and more stuff will be introduced. The game is limited with the way they have done things so we shall never get an Sims 2 Open For Business (they tried but it's not as much fun), a colour wheel we had in the Sims 3, which was great for recoloring objects when you wanted a room make over or make unique clothing.

There are lots of things they can put into the Sims 4 like University or Seasons and I hope these will be added in some day. I don't really like the Teens in the Sims 4 they look too much like Adults.

I am still exploring things in the Sims 4 and trying out the build mode which I don't find as much fun as it was in the Sims 2 and feel that too much it is already made for us in size of lots or ready made rooms (which can be good if one doesn't feel like making something themselves). I feel neighourhoods and lots are restrictive although the game is very beautiful.

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Simulator4 wrote: »
    I sure hope none of those rating it 5/10 or less are still buying and playing. That's quite sad.

I only have the base game. I just cannot force myself to play. I have tried again and again and it leaves me cold.

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    It's still too early for me to assign a number. That's probably because part of my ranking will ultimately be based on how they end the series.

I know that I am out of step with some of the opinions in this thread. That's just how it goes. I guess that I don't mind the "sandbox with prompts" style at all. I'm probably more of a sandbox player and I have found that I've been able to happily play in my own sandbox, doing my own thing and making a game that I enjoy. I have a game with a cast of characters and when I opt for the new content, it adds to that. I find the game visually very immersive. I also like a lot of the settings in the game and I've been able to adapt them in ways that I want.

Sure, I want to see some more to do, more gameplay, if you will, but I am not missing a much more directed gameplay style. I'm someone who liked packs like Spa Day and (bugs aside) Dine Out for adding more forums where my sims could interact how they want to. I actually haven't tried to play as a restaurant owner yet. If I do? That restaurant owner will come to town to be a character among the others in my game; I have thought about adding am adult brother and sister who come to my sim world in order to run a family restaurant and then interact with the local community. Running the restaurant would still be a bit secondary to my own plots in the game. I guess that I play this game differently than some others. I've appreciated what packs like Parenthood have added and I'd like to continue to see some other content that appeals to different themes.

Do I have some complaints about the game? Sure. Mostly minor bugs though sometimes considerable and persistent bugs in packs upon the release of new content is a big one. C&D was very buggy at first and did feel a little thin, though again, it has a large variety of breeds. Some might say that they don't care about the detail of the breeds that are in the game. Fair enough, again, we all look for different things. I'm happier with being able to add various breeds that act and sound accurate and realistic than I would be if they focused on making a pet an actor or rescuer. Sure, I might have someone with an acting dog but it's not something that I'm really looking for.

I do think that sometimes they skew the content in a very childish direction, as in, far more childish than teen. I think that's probably reflective of the cultural environment that we are in right now and because they are hoping that by offending as few as possible, that they will sell more of the games. Basically, childhood and parenting are considered to be very inoffensive and to appeal to people of various persuasions around the world so in this "advanced dollhouse" game, that's become a large focus. As someone who has families in my game, I do appreciate a lot of that content but I do agree that it feels like it dominates the game right now so I'd like to see some variety.

Aside from some specific points, I generally very much enjoy this game and I've enjoyed the content that I have added. I'm not waiting for TS5 in order to buy essentially the same content yet again even if it includes things like an open world or create-a-style. I'm not missing those things enough to want to buy similar content again any time soon. Some years in, might I cave for it? Yeah, perhaps, during a sale with a range of content, I might be tempted in the same way that I rejoined TS4. I'm not going to plan for that though. I'll probably continue to play with my TS4 rotation as it interests me and I'll ultimately go onto other things, spending my time in other ways.

It's entirely possible that they might try to address some of these complaints with new content in this version, though some things probably can't be changed at this stage.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2018
    I sure hope none of those rating it 5/10 or less are still buying and playing. That's quite sad.

Well great news for you, as I met to you're desired expectations. Free trial and playing on my friend's purchased game convince me enough to just pull out my wallets for it.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2018

Well great news for you, as I met to you're desired expectations. Free trial and playing on my friend's purchased game convince me enough to just pull out my wallets for it.

Lol funny typo: convince me enough to just not pull out my wallet for it. * *cringes at myself*
    NNpYlHF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top