Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will oceans be swimable in the vacation GP?

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Well, it never happened to me either. Only IP has some odd behaviour where water is concerned, especially when you play a mermaid. Which as such isn’t that strange, but why do mermaids swim so slowly in the game.... But other than that they always take a water taxi or their own (water) transport. They never swim and if they do they change into their swimwear.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Mine did always change into swimwear though, even when they jumped on their jet ski..

That was the only world I had do it, and I do have a lot of user created worlds - I do not have Coaster bois world. I tried an earlier version during testing for him - but didn't keep the world.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    They sometimes wade through the water when getting on a boat (or getting off). One of my sims always did that to get to the road, even when there was no water seperating her from where she wanted to go. Mind you, this was her house.

3987677_orig.png

That's the front door, I'm standing on the road. But never did she simply walk to the road from her porch. She'd turn to the water first, wade through the water for a couple of meters, thén finally go to the road and step into her car. She's always arrive in town in her swimsuite :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    "Strong Evidence" Let's not push this more than it is, it's subtle hints at best.

I agree with @jackjack_k Strong evidence would be finding code like we did for Vampires and Pets.

Sadly, the icons were apparently base game.

To answer your question on swimmable bodies of water, I think they said old worlds wouldn't be able to do it, which is why I was hoping they would put off on giving us any beach worlds until then, but we got Bridleton bay.

It is possible that they coded Brindleton Bay so they can come back to it. Unlike other worlds, the water in BB is actually deep enough to support Swimming, while previously the water was only knee height at best.

Even in Windenburg.

They have already said they can’t modify any existing worlds, and that swimming in any body of water would require a brand new world asset to be made. If it was as simple as coding a world differently they would not have maintained the same stance for this long.

Swimming in water that isn’t a pool will most definitely come, but when it does it will be landlocked to whatever world it’s included in. Similarly to apartments, and festivals.

If that was the case, it would be all future worlds as well. I'm guessing the tech isn't there at the moment, when they finally develop it to allow swimming in worlds, all future worlds will use the same tech too.

Not true. Each world is developed independently of each other. They don’t necessarily share “tech”, because they don’t share any world assets aside from a few repurposed world shells.

When they make a world that has a body of water that can be swam in, that water piece will be it’s own thing. It will require it’s own animations, as well as it’s own unique routing properties exclusive to the world it’s included in. Future worlds being developed after that won’t by default be compatible with swimming, this isn’t Sims 3 where every world shares the same basic framework, unless they copy the same water piece (which will be created, shaped, and intended specifically for one area only) or create another new one it will not work for any future world.

It doesnt require a new animation past the one. The only thing it requires is a new type of terrain paint. Theyve specifically said modifying old worlds is the issue.

Once they develop the tech to add swimming in a world, all they have to do is use that tech in the future worlds as well.

The waters in sims 4 areback drop . There decoration , and unfuctional. They probabl were never mentto swim in the first place.

The ones in current worlds are a backdrop yes but newly built worlds could add swimmable oceans.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    SMALL swimmable oceans Catloverplayer? - what planet are they on? There's no such thing as a small ocean on this one - but who knows maybe on Simearth ... But keep in mind the definition of ocean is: a very large expanse of the sea.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    @Cinebar

What it was crazy in TS3 is when my sims decided to go home by swimming.

swimho10.jpg
    swimho12.jpg

swimho13.jpg

That literally never happened to me ahaha. What town is that?

Los Aniegos (Late Night edition) by Coasterboi

That didn't happen in my Maxis made worlds. Maybe it had a lot to do with the custom world. Routing and such. We can't always blame Maxis for everything. Even I have to refrain, sometimes. :)
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    My first idea was a "swimmable" river, lake or pond.

maxres10.jpg

We can make our own swimmable ponds. We got The Bluffs in Windenburg.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

maxres10.jpg

That is actually still a pool and uses pool tools to make it. It is called a natural pool. So we still cannot make ponds - just pools. It just the color of walls, trim, and water - plus adding plants. You can also use the same things to make a normal looking pool.

Ponds, lakes, and rivers uses a different tool that this game does not have. We cannot even place actual ponds technically.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think Tropical and Alpine GPs would be a way that the devs put seasonal things in to test. Like, a Tropical vacation would have all the summer things but in one location where it's always summer, for people who can't have the full seasons.

Look at San Myshuno with its special districts that are surprisingly large. Then they adapted that to be even bigger and better for Cats and Dogs.

I think oceans will be kind of like Districts that you perform swimming animations in.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

maxres10.jpg

That is actually still a pool and uses pool tools to make it. It is called a natural pool. So we still cannot make ponds - just pools. It just the color of walls, trim, and water - plus adding plants. You can also use the same things to make a normal looking pool.

Ponds, lakes, and rivers uses a different tool that this game does not have. We cannot even place actual ponds technically.

The "natural pools" are as close as we're ever going to get.