Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will oceans be swimable in the vacation GP?

Comments

• Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    graventhe wrote: »

But some people been saying that they heard Gurus can't program oceans or lakes to be swimable..so it's concerning
    If we can't swim in the ocean in this tropical vacation GP then it'll be useless..

Who are these "people?" I doubt that they know what they are talking about. The Sims team is more than capable of giving us seasons in every world, and swimmable oceans.
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I believe what has been said is that they can't backup and reprogram existing worlds to allow ocean swimming, not that it can't be added to future worlds, like a vacation world. But that would require for the next vacation pack to have a body of water in it. If it's an Alpine destination, the water would all be frozen. We don't IF they are planning a new vacation pack or if it will have bodies of water in it.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    alexandrea wrote: »

But some people been saying that they heard Gurus can't program oceans or lakes to be swimable..so it's concerning
    If we can't swim in the ocean in this tropical vacation GP then it'll be useless..

Who are these "people?" I doubt that they know what they are talking about. The Sims team is more than capable of giving us seasons in every world, and swimmable oceans.

The Gurus that work on the worlds are "those people".

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    A tropical gp with no way to swim in the ocean would be pointless.
  • Options

Not all tropical locations are at a beach. Some are inland.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

They didn't say they wouldn't or that they would make a swimmable ocean. All Daniel said was that sims could not swim in the water of the worlds we already had. That to swim in the ocean they would have to make a new water terrain.

He has never said anything further that I know of. The best bet is to go on twitter and ask him - he may answer you. You never know.

As far as I know no Guru has even mentioned a tropical destination either - for that matter.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

They didn't say they wouldn't or that they would make a swimmable ocean. All Daniel said was that sims could not swim in the water of the worlds we already had. That to swim in the ocean they would have to make a new water terrain.

He has never said anything further that I know of. The best bet is to go on twitter and ask him - he may answer you. You never know.

As far as I know no Guru has even mentioned a tropical destination either - for that matter.

I'm blocked on Twitter by SimGuruDaniel and no explanation on why.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    "Strong Evidence" Let's not push this more than it is, it's subtle hints at best.

I agree with @jackjack_k Strong evidence would be finding code like we did for Vampires and Pets.

Sadly, the icons were apparently base game.

To answer your question on swimmable bodies of water, I think they said old worlds wouldn't be able to do it, which is why I was hoping they would put off on giving us any beach worlds until then, but we got Bridleton bay.

It is possible that they coded Brindleton Bay so they can come back to it. Unlike other worlds, the water in BB is actually deep enough to support Swimming, while previously the water was only knee height at best.

Even in Windenburg.

They have already said they can’t modify any existing worlds, and that swimming in any body of water would require a brand new world asset to be made. If it was as simple as coding a world differently they would not have maintained the same stance for this long.

Swimming in water that isn’t a pool will most definitely come, but when it does it will be landlocked to whatever world it’s included in. Similarly to apartments, and festivals.
  • Options
    alexandrea wrote: »

I’ll reserve judgement on weather until it arrives (I have serious doubts they will be able to pull it off the way people expect), but they have already said that swimming in bodies of water would require a new world object and that it would not be possible to add it to any world we already have. They are capable of doing many things, but unfortunately The Sims 4 game engine is not without serious modifications. So while Maxis may have some seriously talented people on their payroll, they will only be able to deliver so much given what they have to work with.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Anyway, they will find a way to disappoint us.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

No, they may disappoint you but some of us are quite happy.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

If you think making the worlds unswimable permanently is a good thing, then maybe you should think again
    In Sims 3 they patched all worlds to be swimable while is TS4 you can only swim in one vacation world..that isn't excatly smart or good move..
    And the majority doesn't want that, especially old simmers, we stick around because we want this game to get better not worse..
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    "Strong Evidence" Let's not push this more than it is, it's subtle hints at best.

I agree with @jackjack_k Strong evidence would be finding code like we did for Vampires and Pets.

To answer your question on swimmable bodies of water, I think they said old worlds wouldn't be able to do it, which is why I was hoping they would put off on giving us any beach worlds until then, but we got Bridleton bay.

It is possible that they coded Brindleton Bay so they can come back to it. Unlike other worlds, the water in BB is actually deep enough to support Swimming, while previously the water was only knee height at best.

Even in Windenburg.

They have already said they can’t modify any existing worlds, and that swimming in any body of water would require a brand new world asset to be made. If it was as simple as coding a world differently they would not have maintained the same stance for this long.

Swimming in water that isn’t a pool will most definitely come, but when it does it will be landlocked to whatever world it’s included in. Similarly to apartments, and festivals.

If that was the case, it would be all future worlds as well. I'm guessing the tech isn't there at the moment, when they finally develop it to allow swimming in worlds, all future worlds will use the same tech too.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options

If you think making the worlds unswimable permanently is a good thing, then maybe you should think again
    In Sims 3 they patched all worlds to be swimable while is TS4 you can only swim in one vacation world..that isn't excatly smart or good move..
    And the majority doesn't want that, especially old simmers, we stick around because we want this game to get better not worse..

Worlds are currently unswimable. I have always said, ocean swimming will come in a future world, not added to an existing one. And I am an old simmer from day one and I can speak for myself.
  • Options

Even in Windenburg.

If that was the case, it would be all future worlds as well. I'm guessing the tech isn't there at the moment, when they finally develop it to allow swimming in worlds, all future worlds will use the same tech too.

Not true. Each world is developed independently of each other. They don’t necessarily share “tech”, because they don’t share any world assets aside from a few repurposed world shells.

When they make a world that has a body of water that can be swam in, that water piece will be it’s own thing. It will require it’s own animations, as well as it’s own unique routing properties exclusive to the world it’s included in. Future worlds being developed after that won’t by default be compatible with swimming, this isn’t Sims 3 where every world shares the same basic framework, unless they copy the same water piece (which will be created, shaped, and intended specifically for one area only) or create another new one it will not work for any future world.
  • Options

Even in Windenburg.

Not true. Each world is developed independently of each other. They don’t necessarily share “tech”, because they don’t share any world assets aside from a few repurposed world shells.

When they make a world that has a body of water that can be swam in, that water piece will be it’s own thing. It will require it’s own animations, as well as it’s own unique routing properties exclusive to the world it’s included in. Future worlds being developed after that won’t by default be compatible with swimming, this isn’t Sims 3 where every world shares the same basic framework, unless they copy the same water piece (which will be created, shaped, and intended specifically for one area only) or create another new one it will not work for any future world.

It doesnt require a new animation past the one. The only thing it requires is a new type of terrain paint. Theyve specifically said modifying old worlds is the issue.

Once they develop the tech to add swimming in a world, all they have to do is use that tech in the future worlds as well.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

This.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

Even in Windenburg.

It doesnt require a new animation past the one. The only thing it requires is a new type of terrain paint. Theyve specifically said modifying old worlds is the issue.

Once they develop the tech to add swimming in a world, all they have to do is use that tech in the future worlds as well.

Did you miss the part where I said each piece of the world is built from scratch for every world? It’s not a matter of making one world piece that sims can swim in, they can totally do that, but that one piece is just that - one piece. Notice how the water pieces in WC look nothing like the ones from OS? That’s because they are different pieces, entirely, as would be the swimming piece. So building the tech for one world piece doesn’t automatically make it work for a second, there’s other things that would have to be included for swimming.

The likelihood of swimming being a regular activity for any body of water post-release of a special world is about as likely as future worlds getting apartment buildings.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Even in Windenburg.

Did you miss the part where I said each piece of the world is built from scratch for every world? It’s not a matter of making one world piece that sims can swim in, they can totally do that, but that one piece is just that - one piece. Notice how the water pieces in WC look nothing like the ones from OS? That’s because they are different pieces, entirely, as would be the swimming piece. So building the tech for one world piece doesn’t automatically make it work for a second, there’s other things that would have to be included for swimming.

The likelihood of swimming being a regular activity for any body of water post-release of a special world is about as likely as future worlds getting apartment buildings.

Exactly - never mind the fact if it was so simple we would have seen the lovely boats some Guru worked hard to make ( it looks authentic for the area) in BB actually skimming through the water to it's destination instead of teleporting. The basic system to even allow a boat to go forward through the water terrain does not exist in this game which tells me the water is still not usable and the water in BB is different than the others as well. Also the water has to be capable of generating waves and tides with wave spawners. I assume they also did not get that to happen either in water terrain yet - not even in BB.

I really do think it is difficult for sims to use anything outside of a pool design system in Sims 4 seeing even the natural water pool has to use pool tools to make it swimmable. I think it is an issue in the basic world design - myself.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Even in Windenburg.

Exactly - never mind the fact if it was so simple we would have seen the lovely boats some Guru worked hard to make ( it looks authentic for the area) in BB actually skimming through the water to it's destination instead of teleporting. The basic system to even allow a boat to go forward through the water terrain does not exist in this game which tells me the water is still not usable and the water in BB is different than the others as well. Also the water has to be capable of generating waves and tides with wave spawners. I assume they also did not get that to happen either in water terrain yet - not even in BB.

I really do think it is difficult for sims to use anything outside of a pool design system in Sims 4 seeing even the natural water pool has to use pool tools to make it swimmable. I think it is an issue in the basic world design - myself.

There is some waves in BB at various places but their too small I guess. Their also hard to hear unless you cut your pc speakers up unlike TS3 waves and waterfalls that were much louder.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Even in Windenburg.

Why are you just stating things as fact without a source?

Here's my source directly from SimguruDaniel

"@catloverplayer Oceans for existing worlds? unlikely. We'd probably have to make a new terrain specifically for that purpose."

Nowhere does it say that they would have to redo the terrain every time they made a world. Just a new terrain is needed, which is what I said.

It also says unlikely, not impossible.

It's unlikely, because like you said, they would have to redesign the original terrain that they did for those worlds. However, future worlds can share the terrain that they create.

So if they DO design a world that's swimmable, then all future worlds should be able to re use the same terrain to have swimmable waters.

Source: https://simsvip.com/2016/08/16/sims-4-routable-oceans-existing-worlds-unlikely/
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Even in Windenburg.

Why are you just stating things as fact without a source?

Here's my source directly from SimguruDaniel

"@catloverplayer Oceans for existing worlds? unlikely. We'd probably have to make a new terrain specifically for that purpose."

Nowhere does it say that they would have to redo the terrain every time they made a world. Just a new terrain is needed, which is what I said.

It also says unlikely, not impossible.

It's unlikely, because like you said, they would have to redesign the original terrain that they did for those worlds. However, future worlds can share the terrain that they create.

So if they DO design a world that's swimmable, then all future worlds should be able to re use the same terrain to have swimmable waters.

Source: https://simsvip.com/2016/08/16/sims-4-routable-oceans-existing-worlds-unlikely/

It’s funny, because they always ask for a source, but they speculate even when a source clearly says the opposite of what they’re trying to say.

Also, people PURPOSELY misinterpret information to make everything sound worse than it is.

Funny, right?
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    I'm on cat's side just in case the truth is that we got blocked by Grant and Daniel!
  • Options
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    I'm on cat's side just in case the truth is that we got blocked by Grant and Daniel!

Sorry to hear you guys were blocked.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,236 Member
    edited December 2017
    @graventhe wrote: »
    Will oceans be swimable in the vacation GP?

The answer is ... no (?), I see no water activities in the description, only surfing.

Survey 3 on August 8th, 2015 :
    Vacation - Take your Sims on vacation!
    Head to Mt. Wright for fun winter getaway with ice skating, sledding, and snowboarding, and mysterious ice caves.
    Or head to Isla Cordinda to soak up the sun and build sand castles, surf the waves, and uncover ancient tombs.

It's time to take your Sims on vacation!
    Head to one of two new exciting locations with unique activities and weather.
    Travel to the peaks of Mt. Wright for some winter fun where you can go ice skating, sledding, snowboarding, and explore the mysterious ice caves.
    Or head to Isla Cordinda to soak up the sun, build sand castles, surf the waves, and uncover through the ancient tombs.
    • Summer Vacation: Experience the best of summer at an island getaway, with sand castles, surfing, and delicious island food and drinks.
    • Winter Getaway: Enjoy a winter wonderland with a snowy mountain vacation. Go snowboarding, sledding, make snowmen, or hit the lake for some ice skating!
    • Explore Ancient Locations: Explore ancient tombs in the jungle, or beautiful ice caves in the [... missing part ...] avoiding deadly traps and yetis.
    • Winter & Summer Seasons: Bring the weather home with you. Experience the warm days of summer or magical snowfall in your home town!

Survey 5 on February 20, 2017 [1] :
    The Sims 4 Summer Holidays
    The school is over and it’s time for your Sims to relax and enjoy the sun in The Sims 4 Summer Holidays. Choose your accommodation then go to the beach to make a sand castle or participate in a Hawaiian party. Tuck the waves on a surfboard or relax, pick up shellfish and discover unseen marine plants and animals.

Choose your accommodation – The Sims can rent a cabin on the beach, buy a holiday home on a cliff or go to a luxurious hotel with a view of the sea. Make fun activities at the beach Enjoy the sun and go to the beach to build A sand castle, a campfire or learn new dances during a Hawaiian evening.

Surfing – Make a hang-ten and fight with your surfing skills. Choose your surfboard and improve your skills to become a surfing legend and a local celebrity.

Explore the beach – Stroll along the beach where you can pick up rare marine plants and animals, discover new colorful corals and maybe even cross the legendary mermaid at sunset.