Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Welcome all new Sims 3 players!

Comments

• Options
    SkyBlueTarteSkyBlueTarte Posts: 5 New Member
    Can I be a 'Born Again' newbie please? Rediscovering Sims 3 thanks to a long term sickness absence from work ... There's always a bright side ;-). Forgive me if this is 'off topic', but I think it is relevant to newbies, is there a dedicated thread for adding friends? ... Happy Simming everyone
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    I have never left the Sims 3. It would be like leaving an old friend.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,363 Member
    Can I be a 'Born Again' newbie please? Rediscovering Sims 3 thanks to a long term sickness absence from work ... There's always a bright side ;-). Forgive me if this is 'off topic', but I think it is relevant to newbies, is there a dedicated thread for adding friends? ... Happy Simming everyone

@SkyBlueTarte
    Welcome back born again newbie! So sorry to hear you're sick though. Hope your recovery is going well. There is a thread for adding friends. On iPad so I'll try to link later if you haven't found it.

• Options
    > @ZeeGee said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > @SkyBlueTarte
    > Welcome back born again newbie! So sorry to hear you're sick though. Hope your recovery is going well. There is a thread for adding friends. On iPad so I'll try to link later if you have@SkyBlueTarte

Thank You. I'm recovering from a minor stroke, so no full recovery but learning a different way of life! It could have been much worse and I always wanted to retire before 50; there's always a positive! If you could post the link that would be great, I'm working on half brain power at the moment, so would really appreciate your help. Thanks again :-)
  • Options
    @Starglitters9909 Can't inagine anything that would make me leave that old friend either.

@SkyBlueTarte Retiring before 50 and having lots of time to play Sims 3, very positive! Though I'm sorry you had to suffer a stroke to get there. As soon as I get in a puter I'll link that thread.
  • Options
    > @ZeeGee said:
    > @SkyBlueTarte I think this is it:
    >
    > http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/900417/does-anyone-still-play-sims-3-if-so-i-need-friends/p1

Fantastic, I've posted my request! Thank you for your help and kind thoughts :-)
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @SkyBlueTarte I'm sorry about your illness and happy that you've found Sims3 again. It can be a great distraction as well as a great therapy. It certainly has helped me with the stresses in my life. I'm the same name over on the sims 3 site and you are welcome to add me as a friend request.
  • Options
    @bekkasan YAY! Thank you for your kind words. I'm just booting the launcher as I type. I'll send my request once I'm up and running.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @SkyBlueTarte Welcome back to the community :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Featuring a special creation wishlist by creativity_rulez this month, the prize is again 1500 simpoints worth of items from the store! Whether you like to build small starters or big mansions, this wishlist has a challenge for you! The prize is gifted on a random drawing, no judging of builds involved. :smiley:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16002791/#Comment_16002791
  • Options
    OnyxLionessOnyxLioness Posts: 29 New Member
    Good Day!

I have the Late Night, Supernatural, Ambitions and Island Paradise expansion packs installed. My current family lives in Isla Paradiso. One of my sims (BreeAnn) has a wish to go to a dance club. I searched up and down the islands and could not find a dance club. So I googled "sims 3 help where is the dance club in isla paradiso" and found a post on EA forum regarding how to edit the town in order to place businesses (community lots).

I went thru the list of buildings available in "Edit Town" mode and I can't find a "dance club" and a "dive bar". Am I supposed to build it myself?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Good Day!

I have the Late Night, Supernatural, Ambitions and Island Paradise expansion packs installed. My current family lives in Isla Paradiso. One of my sims (BreeAnn) has a wish to go to a dance club. I searched up and down the islands and could not find a dance club. So I googled "sims 3 help where is the dance club in isla paradiso" and found a post on EA forum regarding how to edit the town in order to place businesses (community lots).

I went thru the list of buildings available in "Edit Town" mode and I can't find a "dance club" and a "dive bar". Am I supposed to build it myself?

They come with the LN expansion and would be fully made lots, not just buildings. Don't know why you aren't seeing them in Community Lots in Edit Town, but look again for any with the LN logo if you can. Or you could load up an instance of Bridgeport, go into Edit Town there, and copy some of these from the town map down to your Community Lots bin. No need to save, they will still be there in the game you are really playing.

Or yes, you could build your own if you wanted to.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    > @igazor said:
    > OnyxLioness wrote: »
    >
    > Good Day!
    >
    > I have the Late Night, Supernatural, Ambitions and Island Paradise expansion packs installed. My current family lives in Isla Paradiso. One of my sims (BreeAnn) has a wish to go to a dance club. I searched up and down the islands and could not find a dance club. So I googled "sims 3 help where is the dance club in isla paradiso" and found a post on EA forum regarding how to edit the town in order to place businesses (community lots).
    >
    > I went thru the list of buildings available in "Edit Town" mode and I can't find a "dance club" and a "dive bar". Am I supposed to build it myself?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They come with the LN expansion and would be fully made lots, not just buildings. Don't know why you aren't seeing them in Community Lots in Edit Town, but look again for any with the LN logo if you can. Or you could load up an instance of Bridgeport, go into Edit Town there, and copy some of these from the town map down to your Community Lots bin. No need to save, they will still be there in the game you are really playing.
    >
    > Or yes, you could build your own if you wanted to.

Thank you so much :)

After clicking around I discovered that initially I was looking in the wrong place. I finally found the dive bar and dance club. I would love LOVE to have all of the available businesses in one city. Do all of the cities have the same amount of space to build on? I am interested in a city where I would be able to place all of the business that I have available to me in the 4 EPs that I have: Late Night, Island Paradise, Ambitions and Supernatural.

I placed a dance club, but then discovered that Sims have to run up and down hills to get to it from the road. So I'm trying to figure that out too. Do I have to bulldoze the lots around it and build a road on those surrounding lots?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @OnyxLioness - Every world is different with respect to how much usable space it has to build onto using Edit Town. Some are easier to work with than others, some come with a small number of empty lots all ready for such use, some are nearly impossible to add new lots to, as opposed to replacing existing lots, because the areas we work with need to be relatively flat, near a road or path (usually), and routable to the sims. And some worlds seem like they have plenty of usable space to work with, but much of what we try to add by way of new lots sinks into the ground upon placement.

We can't add or adjust things like roads, sidewalks, paths, hills, etc., as these would be things that aren't already on lots. These things are on what we call the "world lot." It takes a standalone tool, a program called Create a World (CAW), which is very advanced for world designers, to work with those. Some love it, we have a few very accomplished world designers here, others like me have never even tried to use it but just admire those with the requisite design skills from afar.

It may be possible to get most of the available lots from those 4 EPs crammed into one world, if not all of them. Some players try to get everything from all 11 EPs and all EA Store sets crammed into one world as well, but usually are met with failure because the resulting world would end up being too large to be realistically playable for many. There are some pre-built player made custom worlds that do this but again many players find that their game implodes when they try to play them for any length of time.

Another option would be with the NRaas Traveler mod, we can vacation our sims in different worlds within the same ongoing game so they can experience more of what the game has to offer without having to keep moving them permanently to new homeworlds.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,924 Member
    @igazor and @OnyxLioness the lots sinking into the terrain is caused by the terrain the lot was built on being at a different level to the lot you are trying to add it to.

There is a cheat that you can use to fix this problem if you want to use it. You need to experiment a bit sometimes to get the number right because you need to add a number to the cheat to tell it how much higher or lower it needs to be to make it level with the surrounding terrain.

This is the link to crinrict's help bolg in which she explains how to use it
    http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/06/bug-imported-house-raiseslowers-the-terrain.html

I've used it a few times to be able to place builds into different worlds.
  • Options
    @Karritz - I did forget about that cheat, thanks. Keep meaning to try it on some of my more stubborn worlds to get builds to be more level.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hello Again! I would like to be a good guest at a party. I just read party info at the sims wiki and it says I can bring food. Is there anything else that can I bring or do? I just tried to put a boom-box from my inventory to the floor but it's not working so that idea fell thru.
  • Options
    @OnyxLioness Sorry, don't know the answer to your question. I know you can bring food. You can dance if there's a stereo around. Or chat up another sim. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    We had a great month on the Gift of Creation thread! Two new wishlists, a new forum member and another big winner of 1500 SP worth of store items! Come join the fun. :)
  • Options
    We have a sponsor who's offering 2500 SP this month so come on over and win a venue or even a world!!

Create something from a wishlist and win a BIG prize this month!!
  • Options
    lsgilsgi Posts: 1 New Member
    Although I'm not new to the franchise, as I've played the sims 2 like my life depended on it when I was a kid, I'm new to the sims 3. I talked so much about how I loved the game to my bf that he actually gave me the game. On his birthday lol.
    I'm still exploring everything, but this game is huge, I love it.
    I'm dreaming about buying new expansions, but I have no money for now.
    Good thing there's so much to do even in the base game that I don't think I'll be bored so soon.
    Also, this thread is so heartwarming, thank you all.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Welcome to Sims 3 @lsgi :) I only played with a couple of EPs for a few years and never tired of it. I am only starting to add new EPs now even though I have played the game since it came out. That was sweet of your bf to get you the game :) I hope he doesn't regret it by being neglected ;)
  • Options
    @lsgi Welcome to the thread and to Sims 3! I still only play with base game and a couple of EPs enabled. There is just so much fun to be had with every EP and I want to savor each one. :)
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    That was sweet of your bf to get you the game :) I hope he doesn't regret it by being neglected ;)

Lol, the danger is real! Unless the bf has an all consuming hobby also. :wink:
  • Options
    Six days until we give away a Sims 3 store world! Only 3 entries right now so chances of a win are pretty good! See the link in my signature for the Gift of Creation game.