Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Welcome all new Sims 3 players!

Comments

• Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,372 Member
    I'm not new to ts3, I've been playing it since the release. But I still wanted to say hey! I'm glad people are still playing!

Still playing, still addicted. :lol: Thanks for stopping by.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    People tired of TS4 already? They only just annoyced a new Cats and Dogs EP! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member

I often see new simmers and new sims 4 players everyday than new sims 3 players.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    Can we have a thread that doesn't turn into Sims 3 versus Sims 4?! This is the Sims 3 section. We're here because we like Sims 3 the bestest. This thread is about welcoming new Sims 3 players, whether they came from Sims 2 or Sims 4 or Sims Freeplay or any sims game!! Because they may not realize that there is so much awesome store content to be had for the price of building a house for a contest or stalking a daily deal thread. :)
  • Options
    OnyxLionessOnyxLioness Posts: 29 New Member
    Hello! I am a 1st time simmer. Thanks for creating this thread. Is this a good place to ask a question about gameplay?
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @OnyxLioness Welcome to the forums :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hello! I am a 1st time simmer. Thanks for creating this thread. Is this a good place to ask a question about gameplay?
    Sure, fire away. Unless of course the questions are about TS4, in which case you would want to find a thread on the TS4 General forum board as not everyone here plays both games.

We also have an ongoing thread on the TS3 Tech Discussions board for New Members who are not able to start their own threads yet (and there is one for TS4 on that section), in case you have any questions that are more hardware/software or tech related than gameplay. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Thank you!

I purchased Sims 3 August 5, 2017 and I have never played a Sims game before except Sims Social on Facebook back when it was poppin.

My original sim is Kennedy Hooper.

I am so new to playing Sims that when her fiance Jaime moved in I was shocked that I had control over her life now.
    I just moved them to Moonlight Falls from Sunset Valley. Also I stopped their aging.

Back in Sunset Valley right before we moved I noticed that there were a few citizens of Sunset Valley that were unemployed. I feel a bit un-nerved that fellow citizens are unemployed in a city that I am supposed to be controlling. So I've been contemplating it and I have so many questions. Am I (the player and original sim) responsible for improving the economy? When I buy a business completely, will I be in charge of hiring? Kennedy just bought out the day spa and Jaime just bought out the hospital. But I haven't come across any options to upgrade each business. When will that option come up? Should I be buying empty lots, building houses and selling them?

Also what is the maximum number of sims that I can control? I recently found out that gay/lesbian couples do not get pregnant. (It would be nice if the hospital in Sims 3 had a fertility clinic and surrogacy program. But whatevs). So I am trying to create a plan to bring a baby into Kennedy and Jaime's family. I am thinking I could buy a 2nd house, move 2 guys into that house and use them as "🐸🐸🐸🐸 donors"/best friends. Please tell me if that will not work in Sims 3.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    This message board just turned the word s

perm into "plum." I am guessing this is supposed to be a g-rated message board. I apologize for I didn't mean to be vulgar or provocative at all. I wanted to be clear concise.
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    To start with, while there's mods that let you change things like employment for sims, you should be aware that being unemployed doesn't mean no income. Gardening, painting, writing, fishing, and so forth can all provide income without being employed. You should also be aware that even without the Story Progression mod inactive sims can get jobs and even change jobs. I've had one co-worker in the Law Enforcement career path quit and join the criminal career path. I know this because they vanished from my 'co-workers' relationship tab, and when i managed to learn their career they were a thug. They previously had been a traffic cop.

No, it's not your job to improve the economy of the entire town.

If you buy out all partners in a shop you own then yes, you can fire workers. Upgrading the stores though, not so much. It's more a steady income source that's not career based. Not a high income, but it's there.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,926 Member
    Thank you!

I purchased Sims 3 August 5, 2017 and I have never played a Sims game before except Sims Social on Facebook back when it was poppin.

My original sim is Kennedy Hooper.

I am so new to playing Sims that when her fiance Jaime moved in I was shocked that I had control over her life now.
    I just moved them to Moonlight Falls from Sunset Valley. Also I stopped their aging.

Back in Sunset Valley right before we moved I noticed that there were a few citizens of Sunset Valley that were unemployed. I feel a bit un-nerved that fellow citizens are unemployed in a city that I am supposed to be controlling. So I've been contemplating it and I have so many questions. Am I (the player and original sim) responsible for improving the economy? When I buy a business completely, will I be in charge of hiring? Kennedy just bought out the day spa and Jaime just bought out the hospital. But I haven't come across any options to upgrade each business. When will that option come up? Should I be buying empty lots, building houses and selling them?

Also what is the maximum number of sims that I can control? I recently found out that gay/lesbian couples do not get pregnant. (It would be nice if the hospital in Sims 3 had a fertility clinic and surrogacy program. But whatevs). So I am trying to create a plan to bring a baby into Kennedy and Jaime's family. I am thinking I could buy a 2nd house, move 2 guys into that house and use them as "plum donors"/best friends. Please tell me if that will not work in Sims 3.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

I've been playing Sims 3 since 2009 and I can assure you it is a game that requires you to set your own rules.

That means you decide what you have to do.

Whenever I'm at a loss to know what else I could do I read through the badges you can get as they set out requirements for you to get the badge. See the Achievements thread for more info on that. I can't link as I'm using a tablet .

Also keep an eye on your Sims wishes. Decide which ones you want to try to promise.

Take is slowly and have fun.

I've been making YouTube videos of one of my games this year. You might like to watch them to see what I've been getting up to lately. So the Sims 3 has got me to learn about YouTube. My videos are called The Isla Paradiso Bunch.
  • Options
    @Karritz what program do you use to record/edit your videos? And is there a free one you could recommend for someone starting out?
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,926 Member
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    @Karritz what program do you use to record/edit your videos? And is there a free one you could recommend for someone starting out?

I'm just starting out. I use OBS Studio. It's free. I use Microsoft Movie Maker to put it together and record the narration. You might be able to do the narration with OBS Studio but I've never tried. I have to cut my recordings up due to the lag I get in Isla Paradiso.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I often see new simmers and new sims 4 players everyday than new sims 3 players.
    And those who like and play both.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    This message board just turned the word s

perm into "plum." I am guessing this is supposed to be a g-rated message board. I apologize for I didn't mean to be vulgar or provocative at all. I wanted to be clear concise.
    A lot of words get plummed, don't feel bad about it ;) And welcome to the game!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    And those who like and play both.

^^ This times 10

Or all four when they can find the time. :)
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    @OnyxLioness Welcome!
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2017
    Welcome, @OnyxLioness

Pace yourself. This is a grand game, and in the beginning it might seem overwhelming....
    In the beginning, and for an infinity, questions will pop up. Then rest at ease. I have never(?) experienced a finer forum asking questions. None are to silly.
    After 10 years, people still discover new things to do. <3
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
  • Options
    @Faerie197 @Karritz @JoAnne65 @ZeeGee @Mazakeen I REALLY REALLY appreciate you all responding to me. Thank you so much. And Faerie197 raised a very good point reminding me that there are other sources of income in the game outside of the 9am-5pm grind.

Since I posted that post early morning Monday August 28th I have played a few hours. I did discover where it will allow me to upgrade the businesses we own via home computer. Also I did find out that I cannot control my 2nd sim Jamie if she moves to a new house that I built. That's a little disappointing because I wanted to control multiple households.

Another question about that, can I build an apartment building and have a family on each floor? What is the maximum number of sims that I can control. What is the maximum number of floors that a building can have?

Another question, is anyone out there managing polyamorous relationships, triads or quads living in the same house? Or a triad or quad where at least one of the lovers is an npc?

Also I just want to vent about something. It's not a question just an observation from a first time simmer. I bought a 2nd lot with the intention of building a house there. About an hour into the process I only got as far as the foundation, walls, parking spot, fence around the property (to keep out those annoying zombies eating my garden produce) and a front door and then I realized THIS IS HARD. I am going to do more research to see if I can find a way to get a pre-made house put on that empty lot. Because I don't have the patience to be building from the ground up LoL!
  • Options
    The maximum sims in a household is 8. If you have Pets that I think goes up to 10, as a mixture of sims and pets. A household can only have up to 6 pets, 8 sims, or a combination that totals 10 members, I think.

Yes, you can import premade lots in the Town Edit mode.

You can have an inactive sim in your household, if you have University Life. You do this by accessing your phone or computer and placing an ad for a "room mate". This inactive sim will have their own job, and be completely out of your control. Your sim can ask them to do chores, but they aren't obligated to do them.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    In addition: with NRaas Mastercontroller (a mod; I highly recommend that one, together with Overwatch and Errortrap) you can create your own roommates, put them in your world, click on them and choose them for a roommate. When you set doors and beds (only opening and assigning them for certain sims in your household), those roommates will live where you want them to live. One downside: they won't leave your lot unless you invite them to, not even when they have a job or have to go to school. Upside: they are always there, which makes your lot quite lively without having to control everyone.

In Edit Town you can choose to turn your house into an apartment, but that will mean the game will want you to have seven. If you don't set the house as an apartment, you can choose the number of roommates yourself.

@Faerie197 You say they have their own job, do you mean when you create roommates through the phone instead of using MC they will go to work and leave the permises!?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    @JoAnne65 - That's odd. My sims' roommates, no matter how they became such, have no problems going to work/school or hanging out around town all on their own. They even help themselves to my sims' cars if I leave them parked in a parking space on the home lot instead of in my sims' inventories. One of them used to drive my sims' kids around if they (and a car) were available whenever I would direct the kids to go to a community lot, rather than the kids having to bike there or take a subway, taxi, etc.

Maybe it's NRaas StoryProgression providing some of those pushes for them to do stuff.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 - That's odd. My sims' roommates, no matter how they became such, have no problems going to work/school or hanging out around town all on their own. They even help themselves to my sims' cars if I leave them parked in a parking space on the home lot instead of in my sims' inventories. One of them even drove my sims' kids around if they (and a car) were available whenever I would direct the kids to go to a community lot, rather than the kids having to bike there or take a subway, taxi, etc.
    But maybe you've got @Mrknowitall526 's mod installed? In my game they really all stay at home and when I took some of them to the library at one point, they went home after a while and I believe they teleported there (didn't follow them but they were so instantly home that I can't believe they really traveled ;)).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I had a lazy roommate who would go to Simfest contests (they were an Acrobat), and otherwise stay in the house watching TV. Refused to cook, thought cleaning was for other sims, and rarely went to bed before 3am. But she was more then happy to munch on anything in the fridge. I could cook up family sized portions of 3 different dishes, and in 3 days all of the leftovers were gone.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    But maybe you've got @Mrknowitall526 's mod installed? In my game they really all stay at home and when I took some of them to the library at one point, they went home after a while and I believe they teleported there (didn't follow them but they were so instantly home that I can't believe they really traveled ;)).
    No, I do not have that one nor Ani's apartment mod. Come to think of it, my homeworld sims (not counting Dorms and Frat/Sorority Houses in Uni World) have never had roommates on an actual Apartment type lot before, these have all been regular Residentials using the phone-up roommate service, Ask to Be Roommate, or MC.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!