Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

so the patch should be today ?

Comments

• Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited July 2017
    It's about time something got done about that auto-save feature. That thing was a real nightmare for me as I never fully grasped how it worked after almost 3 years of playing TS4 lol. I definitely feel more in control of my game too with the overhauled load / save menu.

Great patch, thanks Maxis. :smile:

Edited my post for clarity since the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 strive to quote me with condescending responses.
    Post edited by Trowicia on
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yay for the patch. It sure looks like it addressed a lot of my new gameplay problems from recently. Yeah that brown eye color bug changing face was a pain. Yay! Thank you for the hard work you gurus did to fix a lot of the annoying issues. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I'm happy to see so many fixes included with this patch...
    Plus, I really like all of the different swatches/styles to each of the new ceiling lights that were included. :)
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Liking:
    - The number of bug fixes
    - Lights
    - Save interface updates (a little tedious trying to find stuff among a boatload of old saves that don't have a portrait though)
    - BTS dev insights

So pretty much everything lol. Just wanted to say my thanks. :)
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    plushtrap_107plushtrap_107 Posts: 1,435 Member
    I am happy that the swimming bug was fixed :) Also that married Sims won't want to get married again. Last night, my one Sim wanted to get engaged to her husband XD
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I too am glad that sims can swim laps in the pools once again, and that married sims will no longer get the whim to marry a sim. :)
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Something not mentioned in the patch notes, but certainly related to the new pack: There have been some changes to the relationship panel. Along with the status comes a short description of the relationship!
    Relationship%20Panel_zpsx5ipxtq0.jpg
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Hm it's weird but since the patch my alien kid can't change her disguise anymore .. dunno if it's the patch though but I hope it's a temporary bug :'(
  • Options
    Something not mentioned in the patch notes, but certainly related to the new pack: There have been some changes to the relationship panel. Along with the status comes a short description of the relationship!
    Relationship%20Panel_zpsx5ipxtq0.jpg
    Really? So there was something related to Parenthood in the patch after all. The SimGuru that was charged with writing the game patch notes must have forgotten to include that in the notes. Thank you for sharing this here Netzspannung. :)
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    edited May 2017
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Hm it's weird but since the patch my alien kid can't change her disguise anymore .. dunno if it's the patch though but I hope it's a temporary bug :'(

Hello
    If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there. If it has helped with the issues, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder that is in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.
  • Options
    @sunman502 They don't mention everything in the patch notes, that's part of the fun, not an oversight. :)
    They also updated the lot trait "Teen Hangout" to "Teen Neighborhood" to make it less confusing. This was also not mentioned, I believe.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Hello
    If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there. If it has helped with the issues, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder that is in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.

Hey rose thx, I'll try repairing the game to see if that fixes things ^^
  • Options
    @sunman502 They don't mention everything in the patch notes, that's part of the fun, not an oversight. :)
    They also updated the lot trait "Teen Hangout" to "Teen Neighborhood" to make it less confusing. This was also not mentioned, I believe.
    They use to. In fact I remember them saying that they included something for vampires in the patch that was released before Vampires came out.
  • Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    Thanks for this patch! We really needed patch that well, patched things up! B)
  • Options
    DagmarHDagmarH Posts: 68 Member
    Number of fixes for Dine Out game pack: 0

I would paste a picture of fake Obama kicking open the door out of frustration but they also haven't fixed the forum bug that is keeping members from being upgraded to full member status after over two weeks. >^^<
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    DagmarH wrote: »
    Number of fixes for Dine Out game pack: 0

I would paste a picture of fake Obama kicking open the door out of frustration but they also haven't fixed the forum bug that is keeping members from being upgraded to full member status after over two weeks. >^^<
    Well, I guess they can't fix everything all in one go.

It looks like there was a fair amount done this time around. I am liking the new game save thingy-ma-doodle too :)
  • Options
    Just a few more of the new relationship descriptions to see below. This would be of a happily married couple.

Relationship%20Panel2_zpsfnimegd4.jpg

I am really curious about the new kind of relationships that will be introduced with the new pack, but the livestream tomorrow will certainly shed some light on that.

we all try ...
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    There's a bit in there where they speculate that because the system has Python and I believe C++ communicating with each other via Protobuf, this may be the cause of our time distortion/lag issues. Python and C++ usually don't interact or "talk" to each other, Protobuf is there to do it on their behalf. TwistedMexi speculated that it's possible this system is responsible for the time distortion, because having both C++ and Python is actually inefficient (they speculate Python was added as the game was rushed to online singleplayer), and the delays we may be feeling in the game may be delays caused by data slowly going from Python to Protobuf to C++ and then making the return trip. In a nutshell, the data of Sims 4 has a longer "path" to walk than the data of Sims 3 did, and that might cause bottlenecking or delays, and may be why things like x3 speed cause problems and make it difficult for the simulation to keep up. This also explains the differences in reaction between Sims 3 and Sims 4: Sims 3 simply freezes because it's one system that's become overburdened with things to simulate, thus it lags and locks up until it slowly gets certain processes out of the way and can pick up speed again. Sims 4? If all data must cross two systems, then yes it's conceivable that perhaps the Python end might keep running and keep simulating, unaware that there's been a delay on the C++ end, thus all Python systems snap back once they DO realize the delay and realize they must re-sync with C++'s work.
    This entire speculation is very wrong and I really hope people stop bringing it up - some people might mistake it as a fact and then spread it even further.

TS4 uses Python for a similar reason why TS2 and TS3 use C# for their AI/simulation (yes, TS2/3 also use two languages, instead of C++/Python they use C++/C#). Using a separate scripting language is extremely common in video game development. If you wanna know why you can read it here. The speculation that adding Python has something to do with the game previously being an online game is completely nonsense. It doesn't matter which language they ended up use for scripting; the game was never going to be all written in C++.

And TS4's simulation lag is something that occurs at the Python end and has nothing to do with the communication between C++ and Python. The time resync is a deliberate design choice at the Python end and has nothing to do with resync with C++. Instead of freezing like TS3 does when it lags, the time distortion is implemented on purpose to reduce the perceived lag by players. By the way, when TS3 freezes you'll also notice things like trees and stuff are still moving in the background; this is because the lagging occurs in C# (which handles gamplay) but the backend still runs fine. TS3 is not "one system" as you claimed; it's exactly the same as TS4.

Interesting. So what would you say can be done about the time distortion, if anything at all? If it's as natural as Sims 3's freezes, then it will only get worse.

Should also note that I'm not entirely sure how "purposeful" the implementation is since at the very least, it's being looked into. What makes you refer to it as intentional?

What they're looking into is what's causing the game to lag, not the time distortion itself (which is merely a symptom when the game lags). The time jumping back thing is intentional; otherwise you would see the clock visibly freezes now and then like it does in TS3. It's a clever way to make players feel like the game is lagging less than it actually is (who wants to play a game that stutters and freezes every 15 seconds?). Similarly, they also made animation to decouple from the simulation this time around. This is why you often see Sims standing around playing various idle animations but they are not doing anything. The decoupling of simulation and animation allows the game to appear to run, instead of just flat-out freezing like it does in TS3. Again this is a way to make players feel like the game is not lagging as much.

Right but you're making some rather bold claims here regarding intent which I'm unsure of how you could know their intent. I mean I'm no programmer, but it seems to me like this illusion of no lag is also less stable in the sense that...with Sims 3 when it'd freeze, it'd freeze. You knew exactly what you were getting and exactly when the problem was resolved (usually. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 horses causing repeated freezes...). In my experience with time distortion, it can often worsen, and it can worsen likely because you can continue to strain an already strained system without even knowing it's strained. I've actually had the lag get so intense that the menu was no longer pausing the game; I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.

You're claiming it's intentional, I'm asking how on earth you know it's intentional given that we have seemingly zero way of knowing their intent regarding such a topic.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 704 Member
    Despite what they say the light bug does not seem fixed. In my game when I change the intensity and colours of the lamps they still go back to their default setting if I click on automatic lighting. Has anyone tested in their game?
  • Options
    larsVeekelarsVeeke Posts: 12 New Member
    is it just me or did the ask to leave option dissapeared again?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    larsVeeke wrote: »
    is it just me or did the ask to leave option dissapeared again?

Check your mods. It's there for me.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    What are the detective, Dine Out, dressing table and waterslide glitches/bugs? I haven't heard/encountered.
  • Options
    Trowicia wrote: »
    That thing was a real nightmare for me as I never fully grasped how it worked after 3 and a half years of playing TS4 lol.

September 2014 - May 2017 = less than 3 years...
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    There's a bit in there where they speculate that because the system has Python and I believe C++ communicating with each other via Protobuf, this may be the cause of our time distortion/lag issues. Python and C++ usually don't interact or "talk" to each other, Protobuf is there to do it on their behalf. TwistedMexi speculated that it's possible this system is responsible for the time distortion, because having both C++ and Python is actually inefficient (they speculate Python was added as the game was rushed to online singleplayer), and the delays we may be feeling in the game may be delays caused by data slowly going from Python to Protobuf to C++ and then making the return trip. In a nutshell, the data of Sims 4 has a longer "path" to walk than the data of Sims 3 did, and that might cause bottlenecking or delays, and may be why things like x3 speed cause problems and make it difficult for the simulation to keep up. This also explains the differences in reaction between Sims 3 and Sims 4: Sims 3 simply freezes because it's one system that's become overburdened with things to simulate, thus it lags and locks up until it slowly gets certain processes out of the way and can pick up speed again. Sims 4? If all data must cross two systems, then yes it's conceivable that perhaps the Python end might keep running and keep simulating, unaware that there's been a delay on the C++ end, thus all Python systems snap back once they DO realize the delay and realize they must re-sync with C++'s work.
    This entire speculation is very wrong and I really hope people stop bringing it up - some people might mistake it as a fact and then spread it even further.

TS4 uses Python for a similar reason why TS2 and TS3 use C# for their AI/simulation (yes, TS2/3 also use two languages, instead of C++/Python they use C++/C#). Using a separate scripting language is extremely common in video game development. If you wanna know why you can read it here. The speculation that adding Python has something to do with the game previously being an online game is completely nonsense. It doesn't matter which language they ended up use for scripting; the game was never going to be all written in C++.

And TS4's simulation lag is something that occurs at the Python end and has nothing to do with the communication between C++ and Python. The time resync is a deliberate design choice at the Python end and has nothing to do with resync with C++. Instead of freezing like TS3 does when it lags, the time distortion is implemented on purpose to reduce the perceived lag by players. By the way, when TS3 freezes you'll also notice things like trees and stuff are still moving in the background; this is because the lagging occurs in C# (which handles gamplay) but the backend still runs fine. TS3 is not "one system" as you claimed; it's exactly the same as TS4.

Interesting. So what would you say can be done about the time distortion, if anything at all? If it's as natural as Sims 3's freezes, then it will only get worse.

Should also note that I'm not entirely sure how "purposeful" the implementation is since at the very least, it's being looked into. What makes you refer to it as intentional?

What they're looking into is what's causing the game to lag, not the time distortion itself (which is merely a symptom when the game lags). The time jumping back thing is intentional; otherwise you would see the clock visibly freezes now and then like it does in TS3. It's a clever way to make players feel like the game is lagging less than it actually is (who wants to play a game that stutters and freezes every 15 seconds?). Similarly, they also made animation to decouple from the simulation this time around. This is why you often see Sims standing around playing various idle animations but they are not doing anything. The decoupling of simulation and animation allows the game to appear to run, instead of just flat-out freezing like it does in TS3. Again this is a way to make players feel like the game is not lagging as much.

Right but you're making some rather bold claims here regarding intent which I'm unsure of how you could know their intent. I mean I'm no programmer, but it seems to me like this illusion of no lag is also less stable in the sense that...with Sims 3 when it'd freeze, it'd freeze. You knew exactly what you were getting and exactly when the problem was resolved (usually. plum horses causing repeated freezes...). In my experience with time distortion, it can often worsen, and it can worsen likely because you can continue to strain an already strained system without even knowing it's strained. I've actually had the lag get so intense that the menu was no longer pausing the game; I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out.

You're claiming it's intentional, I'm asking how on earth you know it's intentional given that we have seemingly zero way of knowing their intent regarding such a topic.

They have given a talk about it at the game dev conf.
  • Options
    I wish they'd look at those windows which make walls not stay up in half-wall mode. It's been like it since GT and now with CL.