Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

so the patch should be today ?

Comments

• Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    There's a bit in there where they speculate that because the system has Python and I believe C++ communicating with each other via Protobuf, this may be the cause of our time distortion/lag issues. Python and C++ usually don't interact or "talk" to each other, Protobuf is there to do it on their behalf. TwistedMexi speculated that it's possible this system is responsible for the time distortion, because having both C++ and Python is actually inefficient (they speculate Python was added as the game was rushed to online singleplayer), and the delays we may be feeling in the game may be delays caused by data slowly going from Python to Protobuf to C++ and then making the return trip. In a nutshell, the data of Sims 4 has a longer "path" to walk than the data of Sims 3 did, and that might cause bottlenecking or delays, and may be why things like x3 speed cause problems and make it difficult for the simulation to keep up. This also explains the differences in reaction between Sims 3 and Sims 4: Sims 3 simply freezes because it's one system that's become overburdened with things to simulate, thus it lags and locks up until it slowly gets certain processes out of the way and can pick up speed again. Sims 4? If all data must cross two systems, then yes it's conceivable that perhaps the Python end might keep running and keep simulating, unaware that there's been a delay on the C++ end, thus all Python systems snap back once they DO realize the delay and realize they must re-sync with C++'s work.
    This entire speculation is very wrong and I really hope people stop bringing it up - some people might mistake it as a fact and then spread it even further.

TS4 uses Python for a similar reason why TS2 and TS3 use C# for their AI/simulation (yes, TS2/3 also use two languages, instead of C++/Python they use C++/C#). Using a separate scripting language is extremely common in video game development. If you wanna know why you can read it here. The speculation that adding Python has something to do with the game previously being an online game is completely nonsense. It doesn't matter which language they ended up use for scripting; the game was never going to be all written in C++.

And TS4's simulation lag is something that occurs at the Python end and has nothing to do with the communication between C++ and Python. The time resync is a deliberate design choice at the Python end and has nothing to do with resync with C++. Instead of freezing like TS3 does when it lags, the time distortion is implemented on purpose to reduce the perceived lag by players. By the way, when TS3 freezes you'll also notice things like trees and stuff are still moving in the background; this is because the lagging occurs in C# (which handles gamplay) but the backend still runs fine. TS3 is not "one system" as you claimed; it's exactly the same as TS4.

Interesting. So what would you say can be done about the time distortion, if anything at all? If it's as natural as Sims 3's freezes, then it will only get worse.

Should also note that I'm not entirely sure how "purposeful" the implementation is since at the very least, it's being looked into. What makes you refer to it as intentional?
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    There's a bit in there where they speculate that because the system has Python and I believe C++ communicating with each other via Protobuf, this may be the cause of our time distortion/lag issues. Python and C++ usually don't interact or "talk" to each other, Protobuf is there to do it on their behalf. TwistedMexi speculated that it's possible this system is responsible for the time distortion, because having both C++ and Python is actually inefficient (they speculate Python was added as the game was rushed to online singleplayer), and the delays we may be feeling in the game may be delays caused by data slowly going from Python to Protobuf to C++ and then making the return trip. In a nutshell, the data of Sims 4 has a longer "path" to walk than the data of Sims 3 did, and that might cause bottlenecking or delays, and may be why things like x3 speed cause problems and make it difficult for the simulation to keep up. This also explains the differences in reaction between Sims 3 and Sims 4: Sims 3 simply freezes because it's one system that's become overburdened with things to simulate, thus it lags and locks up until it slowly gets certain processes out of the way and can pick up speed again. Sims 4? If all data must cross two systems, then yes it's conceivable that perhaps the Python end might keep running and keep simulating, unaware that there's been a delay on the C++ end, thus all Python systems snap back once they DO realize the delay and realize they must re-sync with C++'s work.
    This entire speculation is very wrong and I really hope people stop bringing it up - some people might mistake it as a fact and then spread it even further.

TS4 uses Python for a similar reason why TS2 and TS3 use C# for their AI/simulation (yes, TS2/3 also use two languages, instead of C++/Python they use C++/C#). Using a separate scripting language is extremely common in video game development. If you wanna know why you can read it here. The speculation that adding Python has something to do with the game previously being an online game is completely nonsense. It doesn't matter which language they ended up use for scripting; the game was never going to be all written in C++.

And TS4's simulation lag is something that occurs at the Python end and has nothing to do with the communication between C++ and Python. The time resync is a deliberate design choice at the Python end and has nothing to do with resync with C++. Instead of freezing like TS3 does when it lags, the time distortion is implemented on purpose to reduce the perceived lag by players. By the way, when TS3 freezes you'll also notice things like trees and stuff are still moving in the background; this is because the lagging occurs in C# (which handles gamplay) but the backend still runs fine. TS3 is not "one system" as you claimed; it's exactly the same as TS4.

Interesting. So what would you say can be done about the time distortion, if anything at all? If it's as natural as Sims 3's freezes, then it will only get worse.

Should also note that I'm not entirely sure how "purposeful" the implementation is since at the very least, it's being looked into. What makes you refer to it as intentional?
    It shouldn't be there - ie, it shouldn't be a factor - ie, there is a screw-up somewhere in there that is causing it.

If Sims are sleeping on a lot and you fast-forward time and note the clock goes back an hour at some point, then something went wrong. There is nothing to go wrong - there is no world simulation - there is no animation or interaction stress - at all. TS3 would run some kind of a check in the early hours of the morning (at least Nraas mods did), but what is TS4 doing - it doesn't have much to do? Plus, loading screens are a cunning way to do batch stuff - at least I would exploit them that way.

You get this problem either under stress or without any at all - they need to check they are doing everything correctly.

It's basically a screw-up - they just need to fix it.
  • Options
    TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    I agree with basically everything that has already been mentioned.

I also hope that they fix swimming pools. Fix the lap-swimming and let a sim keep swimming in the pool for fitness unless his/her needs drop too far or the player directs them to do otherwise. It's really annoying to click "swim here" and to have a sim climb out of the pool and then jump in near "here". The point is to swim and get fitness. It's like a swimming version of "the sitting bug" that they mostly fixed.

What's the point of an attractive swimming pool if they won't swim in it for more than a nanosecond?

The weird thing with the swimming bug and my game is my boys swim in the springs located at the Bluffs in Windenburg. They don't do like laps, but they really swim around and dive off the platform like crazy as well as sit and talk on the edge. Anywhere else they don't care. Then again, there seems to be like zero bugs at the Bluffs for me. No lagging, no goofy whim cancels...it's no wonder they love it there so much. They can actually work and behave flawlessly. The only problem I have is one not letting the other "fertilize" a bush as he wants to talk, but in a way it's sort of funny. One will go to tinkle, the other runs up to the bush making the other come out and talk. However, he can't reuse that bush since he apparently did manage a wee, but didn't finish. They talk and he has to run off to another bush. Unfortunately the other wasn't completed talking and tears after him and does this all over again. Hmm....now that I see this in writing, perhaps it's a bug after all pffft lol Yeah, Sims need to let the others wee in bushes at the Bluffs.
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    What is the time distortion that everyone is talking about? 0_o
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member

When playing the game, sims will freeze or perform actions frozen while the world moves etc, then time goes back several hours.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

What they're looking into is what's causing the game to lag, not the time distortion itself (which is merely a symptom when the game lags). The time jumping back thing is intentional; otherwise you would see the clock visibly freezes now and then like it does in TS3. It's a clever way to make players feel like the game is lagging less than it actually is (who wants to play a game that stutters and freezes every 15 seconds?). Similarly, they also made animation to decouple from the simulation this time around. This is why you often see Sims standing around playing various idle animations but they are not doing anything. The decoupling of simulation and animation allows the game to appear to run, instead of just flat-out freezing like it does in TS3. Again this is a way to make players feel like the game is not lagging as much.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

What they're looking into is what's causing the game to lag, not the time distortion itself (which is merely a symptom when the game lags). The time jumping back thing is intentional; otherwise you would see the clock visibly freezes now and then like it does in TS3. It's a clever way to make players feel like the game is lagging less than it actually is (who wants to play a game that stutters and freezes every 15 seconds?). Similarly, they also made animation to decouple from the simulation this time around. This is why you often see Sims standing around playing various idle animations but they are not doing anything. The decoupling of simulation and animation allows the game to appear to run, instead of just flat-out freezing like it does in TS3. Again this is a way to make players feel like the game is not lagging as much.

The other night, my sim went out to a bar with someone and that sim just stood there the entire time doing nothing. When I clicked on that sim, I got the notification to join darts with that sim even though the sim was just standing there.

It said they were playing darts the whole time. Is that an example of this issue?
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    I agree that bug fixes should be the main priority. We need a fix for the bug that causes babies to change race when picked up. Messes up my screenshots big time.
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »

The other night, my sim went out to a bar with someone and that sim just stood there the entire time doing nothing. When I clicked on that sim, I got the notification to join darts with that sim even though the sim was just standing there.

It said they were playing darts the whole time. Is that an example of this issue?

If it's just one specific Sim, that probably just means something went wrong with that Sim and you should try reseting them. When nearly all Sims appear to do nothing, then you know the simulation is lagging big time.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options

If it's just one specific Sim, that probably just means something went wrong with that Sim and you should try reseting them. When nearly all Sims appear to do nothing, then you know the simulation is lagging big time.

Okay. I'll have to pay more attention. I didn't really notice what other sims were doing at the time
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    knazzer wrote: »

When playing the game, sims will freeze or perform actions frozen while the world moves etc, then time goes back several hours.

I used to have it when I still had my i5 Laptop and about 12 gb CC.
    Now I have i7, and "only" 10 gb CC and I'm not experiencing it any more.
    I don't think the "bug" is EAs fault or even a legitimate "bug". It's just weaker machines struggling to keep up with simulation requirements.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2017

That actually sounds like the current bug specifically with multiple-player darts games.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

That actually sounds like the current bug specifically with multiple-player darts games.

I noticed another one where the sims arms flap and they sort of "reset", like the jump bug.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    They have got to fix this lag stuff and freezing and sometimes, the clock resets but not all the time. Even on the slowest speed I can experience horrible lag, freezing and jittery Sim movements, slooooow responses, Sims standing around even sometimes with their arms out (weird) etc. It's getting to be a real drag, literally.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    What bothers me more than the whim to get engaged or married, for Sims who already are, is the one from CL where they have to click on an elevator to get out in the city! NONE of my Sims live in San Myshuno. I hate apartments. I tried having one of the sons in my family move there, but then promptly left him out of my rotation play.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Schantal wrote: »
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    I expect a wall of text with needless "jokes" that bloat the size of the patch log by a ridiculous margin, accompanied by about 3-4 bug fixes, amongst them a fix to a sofa casting shadows incorrectly. :/

Would love to be wrong.

Basically. I loathe the plum jokes more than anything

I really do question if someone in the office is just extremely bored, or if the purpose is specifically to make the patch notes look larger than they actually are. I'd be curious to see patch notes with the fat cut out, just to see how big they look when you only list bug fixes.

I don't get it either, cause I find them exceedingly annoying. Every time the patch drops there's a number of bugs I'm hoping to see fixed, but I have to read through a bunch of junk just to realize the fixes I want aren't in there.

I just wanna know if they have a fix for the Doctor Career, the Detective career, the Friend of the World reward trait, improvements to culling, fixes for lag and time distortion, improvements on musical chairs, improvements to the wonky AI that makes sims walk aaaaaall the way over to wave to someone regardless of if you've canceled the action, improvements to AI prioritizing (aka no more grabbing a dish off the filled dining table then going all the way up to the third floor for a cup before going back to the next dining table dish), the general lag around toddlers, rejoining a career ruining your career unlocks, alien face distortion, Get to Work retail employee AI being terriawful, standing while watching TV, obsessing over certain objects (was once woodworking, now I recall complaints about Basketball by people with CL), Sims canceling your commands to do random other desires they queued up that they KEEP re-queue'ing no matter how frequently you cancel them, Vampires with Tamed Thirst constantly doing the thirsty animation regardless of thirst level, vampires randomly acting inappropriately around the sun (staying in it or random sun resistant ones bursting into flames), Dine Out food quality, the Serial Romantic Reward Trait being iffy, Singing sometimes sticking and repeating after your sim stopped singing, being invited to celebrate a promotion I didn't get, being invited to a "wicked sweet party" at the nightclub at 8am, festival lag/overlap, vampire break in power being buggy, no practical method of telling random strangers to screw off when they join in on the convo between my sim and their date and cause certain romantic interactions to fail due to the "Awkward conversation" OR preventing said problem from occuring, ghosts of long dead sims not properly being culled from the relationship panel but by god my Sim's best friend lost 60% of his relationship bar, ghosts often filling random homes around town if you have "fill empty homes" checked and you need to manually evict them, collection reward plaques never arriving in the mail....

I could go on and on.
    Sadly none of those are minor bugs, either. All of the ones I just listed have the potential to seriously hinder or interrupt gameplay. It's not a list of petty nitpicking, but a list of serious bugs impeding progress and annoying ones that take you out of the game and make you rather fed up with the micromanaging sims often need due to sub-par AI.

OMG noooo Deserved, what is the bug with aliens? I haven't played them in a while and was going to play a new alien family this weekend and want to know what I am getting myseld into. Thank you for listing all the bugs because it just puts into perspective how out of whack these producers are this iteration with their priorities. Its really bad. They have always been slow to fix bugs (sometimes NEVER fixing them, such as in sims 3), but in sims 3 I can understand because they were dealing with way more innovative stuff. Reading all those bugs (and knowing that thats only SOME of them) just makes me freaking angry honestly. It makes me so mad that they just don't seem to get it.

@Schantal When aliens age up, for some reason their faces tend to distort in a typically alien fashion. Their chins get longer and pointier, their cheekbones more pronounced, their cheeks thinner, and their eyes bigger.

If none of your aliens age up, you're fine. If and when they do though, expect the aging to change their face to some degree. I imagine this one is less known because depending on the alien, this can be minimal changes or rather obvious ones; typically the more human-looking or more customized aliens are the ones that get hit the hardest by this, whereas an alien that was more or less generated by the randomize button might come out looking fine.

The alien-face-bug doesn't happen to all aliens, only a few of mine are affected. I take my alien into CAS, let it go through all the ages to see if it morphs when turning adult because that is usually when my aliens got hit with the ugly stick. Thankfully most of my aliens are fine.
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I really don't understand the hate for the patch jokes! I absolutely love them. With all there is out there to complain about you want to take a little fun away too? :'(

Yes.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Please fix the CAS morphing into different Sim when changing eye brows, brown eye color, and some other problems that moves eyes apart, wider faces etc. when changing these things on normal Sims who are not aliens.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    6 MINUTES!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    461 MB.
  • Options
    MaddisMaddis Posts: 137 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    It's a big one! 3:31 GB!

it's not...it's 461mb ;)
    those 3,31gb are just counting down! wait for it :)
  • Options
    Maddis wrote: »
    Simanite wrote: »
    It's a big one! 3:31 GB!

it's not...it's 461mb ;)
    those 3,31gb are just counting down! wait for it :)

I know, I edited my post.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Where are the patch notes?
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    K4siesK4sies Posts: 267 Member
    patch notes can be found The Sims 4 › Announcements › The Sims 4 Latest Patch Notes