Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• Options
    CreampuffcatCreampuffcat Posts: 162 Member
    Interesting. My mother told me it has some ties with Shakespeare. I looked it up but it doesn’t seem to show much about it but Don Quixote.

@Karritz
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited April 2018
    Don actually comes from the latin Dominus - for lord or master. Its etymology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_(honorific)

Nowadays, it's been corrupted by its use to refer to crime-bosses, but in the early days, it used to refer to men of nobility; the term Don being used primarily in Spain, Italy, Portugal and Iberia

I think all the traits that you can find for Don Lothario:

Charismatic
    Commitment Issues
    Flirty
    Hot-Headed
    Schmoozer

can be also attributed to the literary Don Quixote as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote

Lothario was a metastory in the greater tale of Don Quixote - The Impertinent Curious Man...so there's that connection too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothario
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Don actually comes from the latin Dominus - for lord or master. Its etymology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_(honorific)

Nowadays, it's been corrupted by its use to refer to crime-bosses, but in the early days, it used to refer to men of nobility; the term Don being used primarily in Spain, Italy, Portugal and Iberia

I think all the traits that you can find for Don Lothario:

Charismatic
    Commitment Issues
    Flirty
    Hot-Headed
    Schmoozer

can be also attributed to the literary Don Quixote as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote

Lothario was a metastory in the greater tale of Don Quixote - The Impertinent Curious Man...so there's that connection too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothario

That's exactly what I was looking for but it didn't come up when I was searching. Also didn't get the origin exactly correct from memory so didn't want to put it up here. I knew it was from Spain due to the Don Quixote connection but thought it probably also related to other places. It could have been mentioned by Shakespeare though but I don't know of any definite connection there. But it would be a reasonable assumption to make since he add so many quotes to the language.
  • Options
    saffiredragon9saffiredragon9 Posts: 16 Member
    A few days ago i found out that my sim in the business rabbithole career had an option to "demand a raise" while at work. ( I was clicking on the building to put "hold a meeting" in his queue for after work. I think it's to do with the brave trait, which he has because the text afterwards, in the top right of the screen, said something like "it was due to bravery rather than hard work when Monty was awarded a raise of xx simoleons per hour" ( around 40 simoleons or so if I remember right ) . It's not available every day, and doesn't always work. It worked twice for me, then the third time he got a message saying something like "Monty demanded a raise and failed - he's lucky to still have a job". He was around level 8 or 9 in the career when I first noticed the option but it could be available before then. No idea how often it's available, or if your sim can actually get fired from it, as I retired the poor guy shortly after because his life bar was full and I wanted him to hopefully have at least a couple of days of retirement :)
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited April 2018
    In French the Goth family is writen Gothik (the letter h has no prononciation it's Goh-teek) , no need translation.
    I know it's nothing but maybe a help to understand.
    <3
    * that is the reason why non-English players in English forums are useful xD * I am jocking .

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    gerefteastgerefteast Posts: 353 Member
    Not exactly about TS3 gameplay, but...
    When you delete an item you uploaded on The Exchange and you try to refresh the page, the message will say "Your Exchange upload has been removed by The Sims 3 Web Team. Your upload may have been violating the site's Terms of Service Terms of Service" even though it has been removed by you.
    Discovered it a moment ago :lol:
    understand the significance of the signatures
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    On the subject of raises, your sim can ask for a raise or a promotion from the boss outside of work hours. You have to "discuss work" under friendly interactions first, maybe a couple of times, and I'm sure it helps to have a high relationship. Also, your sim's experience bar has to be a certain percentage full (70% for one, but I forget which) to have the option. So if you want both, it's better to request a raise before a promotion, as the latter will of course reset the experience bar to zero.

This is especially helpful in careers where your sim routinely leaves work with like 95% experience, even after working hard, because the shift is not quite long enough. You can also "work from home" on a computer beforehand to get a small boost, but only if your sim is a workaholic.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Maybe you don't know but if you are a private eye (detective) carreer do not accept to the mission about the Lost Golden Lama Statue even if you use a single rabbithole for your town , this isn't for your sims. It is for the clarevoyant sims I am sure.
    If you use the Nrass ErrorTrap you'll be resetted at 98% of the task done and you'll be sent home.

I think it's a game glitch. :/

and I am plummy sad because I would love to write something about for my story.
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I didn't know that we could turn on the candles.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    If you have MC, you can unlock all the recipes by clicking Debug Enabler>Refrigerator options>Know all recipes. However a caveat is that you have to be at the cooking level that the recipe says that you need to be in order to be able to cook the recipe or else your sim just stands around looking at the food and won't finish cooking it. Just so that you don't have to go wandering around WA worlds collecting books. Also if you look in your personal inventory, when you do that, you have all the books in your personal inventory, which helps (including ALL WA recipes.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    If you have MC, you can unlock all the recipes by clicking Debug Enabler>Refrigerator options>Know all recipes. However a caveat is that you have to be at the cooking level that the recipe says that you need to be in order to be able to cook the recipe or else your sim just stands around looking at the food and won't finish cooking it. Just so that you don't have to go wandering around WA worlds collecting books. Also if you look in your personal inventory, when you do that, you have all the books in your personal inventory, which helps (including ALL WA recipes.
    MasterController and DebugEnabler are two totally different mods. They are not really related to each other.

Maybe you meant to say "If you have NRaas mods" in your opening sentence? ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    MasterController and DebugEnabler are two totally different mods. They are not really related to each other.

Maybe you meant to say "If you have NRaas mods" in your opening sentence? ;)

I was wondering myself when I quickly read this post. Of course, I would never have thought to use DebugEnabler to unlock the recipes as I have always just used MC (I suspect it might also require MC Cheats but I get confused as to what each module adds) to do it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think this is the more common way to do this for those so inclined.

NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Advanced > Books > Recipes (yes, the MC Cheats module is required, DebugEnabler is not).
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Regarding the discussion about Don Lothario, I always figured the Don part was a reference to Don Juan, who himself was a lothario. That told me the moment I first saw him in the game what kind of person he was meant to be, a womanizer.
  • Options
    kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    If a dog or cat watches a sim cook, the sim can throw a scrap at them!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    kaitlyn0 wrote: »
    If a dog or cat watches a sim cook, the sim can throw a scrap at them!

By the way to add an important thing about pet feeding. I saw my sims autonomously give a piece of their foods on restaurant if you got the mod that allows your sims to eat outside (at Modthesims3 here) when of course sims brings their pets with them.
    I don't know for the stays I deleted them with Register.
  • Options
    OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    I JUST realized (thanks to the game tips on the loading screen haha) that with child and teen Sims, when they're sleeping, you can choose what they dream about! :open_mouth:
    So when my Sims' child was asleep next, I clicked on the bed and had him dream about being an astronaut. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I JUST realized (thanks to the game tips on the loading screen haha) that with child and teen Sims, when they're sleeping, you can choose what they dream about! :open_mouth:
    So when my Sims' child was asleep next, I clicked on the bed and had him dream about being an astronaut. :)
    Even better, if the dream actually comes true the next sim day then the sim gets a powerful moodlet boost. That's not very likely for the child dreams (how many children do you know who become astronauts or dinosaurs?), but it can happen with the somewhat more realistic teen ones. ;)

Edit: Ah, corrected. Never underestimate the power of a child's imagination! ;)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    stronglcvestronglcve Posts: 94 Member
    > @OriginalMara said:
    > I JUST realized (thanks to the game tips on the loading screen haha) that with child and teen Sims, when they're sleeping, you can choose what they dream about! :open_mouth:
    > So when my Sims' child was asleep next, I clicked on the bed and had him dream about being an astronaut. :)

@OriginalMara really? Do you need any EPs for this?
    please. jenna can't hear us, she's blind.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @stronglcve Influencing dreams is from the Generations EP.
  • Options
    kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    stronglcve wrote: »
    > @OriginalMara said:
    > I JUST realized (thanks to the game tips on the loading screen haha) that with child and teen Sims, when they're sleeping, you can choose what they dream about! :open_mouth:
    > So when my Sims' child was asleep next, I clicked on the bed and had him dream about being an astronaut. :)

@OriginalMara really? Do you need any EPs for this?

Generations
  • Options
    stronglcvestronglcve Posts: 94 Member
    @IreneSwift @kaitlyn0 oh, i thought so, i just haven't seen it yet so i didn't know lol
    please. jenna can't hear us, she's blind.
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member

I always use that cheat (Debug enabler - Refrigerator - Learn all recipes) and the sim in question can instantly cook all the available recipes with no issues, with the exception of frogs legs which requires a frog in that sim's inventory. Also, it bumps the sim's cooking skills to level 10.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member

Awesome to know! I thought that was just a feature of the Into The Future dream pod bed.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    KevinL5275 wrote: »

Awesome to know! I thought that was just a feature of the Into The Future dream pod bed.
    It's not quite as detailed and skill based as the dream pods. You just click on the bed next to the sleeping child/teen and select one of a small number of things that they can dream about.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top