Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I discovered some cool ways to make easy money in the game without cheating. I enjoy it because it still feels like my sims worked for it. One easy way is to head to the park every day and pick wildflowers. Some of them can be worth decent money, my sim easily made a few thousand dollars in one day off of selling flowers. The only bad side is that it give you small negative moodlet for an hour or so because of allergies or something (can't quite remember).

Another money trick is through life time rewards. If you get 30,000 you can obviously get the Inheritance reward which give your household 30,000 Simoleons or so. Another option is to get the dusty lamp reward which comes with Showtime. You have a variety of wishes (including bringing a deceased loved one back from the dead) one of them being fortune. Each time you wish for it ( you are given three wishes) you get 100,000 Simoleons. I'm not sure if the amount varies but that's how much I've always gotten. And it can be used at least three times and costs the same amount of lifetime happiness points as the Inheritance.

My sims, who had less than $1,000 in funds, went to the park in Starlight Shores and came home with over $3,000 in flowers!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    ShySimz wrote: »
    Lol @Avatarit I didn’t even know that Don was short for Donald and my first language is English.

Don is also a reference to fictional characters where Don is a title. Don actually has a lot of varied meanings but can also be short for Donald. In the case of Don Lothario in the Sims games, I've always taken it to refer to the saying 'He's a real Don Lothario' which means a seducer .

I haven't been able to exactly find the origin of the saying but have a feeling it has something to do with the fictional classic 'Don Quixote'.

Like in Zorro. 'Don Miguel' or whatever Antonio Benderez's character's name was. All I remember is 'Zorro'!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    HillyBeth wrote: »
    The number of pop-culture references (especially the references to other games). In Ambitions, if you use the time travelling thing, you may get a pop-up talking about "some sort of shepherd saving the galaxy" (a reference to Commander Sheppard, the main playable character in the Mass Effect series).

There's a Futurama reference in Oasis Landing from Into The Future, with a household made up of a man named Fryderyk, a woman named Lilah, and a robot named Bend0. There's also a household with a lady named Chelsea and a robot named Gladys. A pretty obvious Portal reference.

One of the movie posters on the cinema building in Sims University looks like the Iron Man poster. Isla Paradiso from Island Paradise is also full of references to Disney's "The Little Mermaid", including a red-haired Sim named Ariel, another Sim named Ursula, and a message in a bottle that asks for the instructions for a dinglehopper.

Oh, don't even get me started on book titles… :P

Like one book is called 'Oh, the Destinations You'll Visit' or something like that. Based on Dr. Seuss's 'Oh, the Places You'll Go'. Plus there's 'Jimmy Sprocket and the Squishy Stone'. Probably a spoof of 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'?

The entire *library* of toddler books is pretty funny when you lay it out.

general: Jimmy Sprocket and the Squishy Stone, JS and the Chalice of Lichens, JS and the Escape from "Fun" Land
    logic: Counting for Those Who Cannot, Squares are Not Triangles, Being Smart for Fun and Profit
    painting: Finger Painting 101, Handprints of the Masters, Don't Stay Within the Lines
    writing: Bluish Eggs with a Side of Pastrami, Frank I'm Not, Oh the Destinations You'll Briefly Visit

There are also quite a few general reading books with punny titles, like Game of Thorns, The Adventures of Raymundo, and Where's Bella?

But what I really enjoy is how the game simulates new books being published as time goes on. These books appear in the library bookshelves and are often available at the consignment store. And if your own sim writes books, the titles will show up at the library as well.
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Another money trick is through life time rewards. If you get 30,000 you can obviously get the Inheritance reward which give your household 30,000 Simoleons or so. Another option is to get the dusty lamp reward which comes with Showtime. You have a variety of wishes (including bringing a deceased loved one back from the dead) one of them being fortune. Each time you wish for it ( you are given three wishes) you get 100,000 Simoleons. I'm not sure if the amount varies but that's how much I've always gotten. And it can be used at least three times and costs the same amount of lifetime happiness points as the Inheritance.

The only issue with using the life time rewards is, by the time your sim has saved up that many points, they're already rich from working their regular job and/or collecting other things.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited April 2018
    Have%2BYou%2BTried%2BTiberium%2BFarming...It%2527s%2Bthe%2Bnew%2Bway...to%2Bmake%2Bmoney....jpg
    Man, this guy irritates me... He's on darned near every video trying to push his ad on Youtube.

Screenshot-29.jpg
    Make your fortune in Tiberium in three weeks or less, I did. :D:mrgreen: My app will show you the best ways to make Tiberium get you a new mansion, a Fresh Prinz luxury car or exotic sports car or even a business jet.

Start living the life you deserve. Start Tiberium farming today. :D

Disclaimer: Results may vary, Three weeks is the personal experience of the poster, depending on how many tiberium spawners you lay down. The poster bears no personal responsibility for your results. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    wiredhanna67wiredhanna67 Posts: 402 Member
    For earlier in this thread:

If your sim leaves work when he/she gets a promotion, just click on the building again and you'll have an option to "go to work" (:

Did you know if your sim has the childish trait they can fish in a pool?!

I know I have more facts I'll have to back and play to remember them lol

But I definitely learned some new things from this thread!
    gLQgzBe.gif
    The voice in your head is just me in your headphones, Everyone knows that we're the devils hero's!
  • Options
    ameliaandcynthiaameliaandcynthia Posts: 42 Member
    - You can make different flavoured pancakes or waffles depending on the fruit or veg you have in your inventory.
    - If you invite your boss to a party, you can ask them for a raise or a promotion.
    - You can put candles on the side of the bath.
  • Options
    ShaThompShaThomp Posts: 17 Member
    > @GITTE2001 said:
    > If your sims doesn't have to got to work on normal work days (pregnancy leave and those things) they can ask how it is at work, and if there's any stuff going on they can work on those problems at work via their pc! Just discovered this 5 minutes ago.

Wow I didn't know that!!
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    In Lunar lakes near the main fishing spot if you pan the camera down you can literally see a whale shaped pond.
    40577283160_e9bc4881cb_b.jpg
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @BMSO That's pretty cool. Lunar Lakes is the only store world I've yet to buy, but it's coming, and I'll be sure to look for the whale pond.

So, today I didn't know where my sims' dog was - he was hungry and needed to chew and that's not like him - and I found him sleeping on the bench in the sauna. I don't remember any of my dogs doing that before. Apparently, one of my sims went by on his way to bed, because he had a wet dog moodlet. "There are better combinations than wet dog and steam." I don't doubt that for a minute. :D
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited June 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    For those so inclined, the NRaas WrittenWord mod allows books written by your sims and others in town to appear for sale at the bookstores.

(Hey, look at that -- an NRaas mod that begins with "W" that we can actually talk about!) ;)

I got it just for this I found this mod fantastic ! @igazor I love to have my library full of new books. My sims generally likes to read even though they are not necessarily bookworm.
    So sad we can't do the same with Alchemy, you create a potion that isn't listed in the Alchemy station book, with your own effects and you sell it at Aleister. o:)

---
    I have found something cool today. If you got rusty yellowish old newspapers in front of your house, grab it. You will see the hand tool. Pull the newspaper until the green bin outside the house (this next to the mailbox) and drop it inside. It's easy to clean.
    This is the same way as to tidy dog toys in front of the floor .
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have found something cool today. If you got rusty yellowish old newspapers in front of your house, grab it. You will see the hand tool. Pull the newspaper until the green bin outside the house (this next to the mailbox) and drop it inside. It's easy to clean. This is the same way as to tidy dog toys in front of the floor .
    The difference is that your sims don't get the positive moodlet for having recycled if you clear the newspapers for them that way. But at least sims don't have to keep trying to remember whether it's the green bins for paper vs. the blue ones like some of us do (my building staff must hate me by now).

I recently had a bad experience with a maid and those dog toys. My sim dog needed to chew on one right away, but the maid wouldn't let him. She stood right there in his way and immediately "cleaned up" the toys as soon as I set them on the floor -- he's still a puppy, doesn't move about very quickly, and can't get his own toys out of the toy box. Should have dismissed the maid, but my other sims were not home. Was going to reset her after over a sim hour of this but I finally gave up and placed two more pet toy boxes on the lot, thinking that the annoying maid who had other things she should have been doing couldn't reach or stand right in front of all of them at once. That seemed to work. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @Igazor Did putting a toy right in front of the puppy not work? Was she too fast for him even then?
  • Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    @Igazor Did putting a toy right in front of the puppy not work? Was she too fast for him even then?
    I'm sure there must have been a way to make that work maybe if I had tried several toys at the same time, but what was happening was that the maid was getting "Clean Up" on the toy in her action queue immediately, faster than the puppy could even begin waddling over to wherever I would place it even if it was right in front of them. Thus the object was unavailable to the dog because the maid, although she didn't always get there first, had the object locked and in use.

Guess I was more amused than annoyed by this, it's not like the dog was harmed in any way, but the game of Sneak the Toy Past the Maid sure did use up a lot of game clock time before I found a way around it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I recently had a bad experience with a maid and those dog toys. My sim dog needed to chew on one right away, but the maid wouldn't let him. She stood right there in his way and immediately "cleaned up" the toys as soon as I set them on the floor -- he's still a puppy, doesn't move about very quickly, and can't get his own toys out of the toy box. Should have dismissed the maid, but my other sims were not home. Was going to reset her after over a sim hour of this but I finally gave up and placed two more pet toy boxes on the lot, thinking that the annoying maid who had other things she should have been doing couldn't reach or stand right in front of all of them at once. That seemed to work. :)

*sigh* It's so hard to find good help these days.

It seems like your maids quite enjoy thwarting your plans. (I'm remembering what happened to all the nectar you set out.) Personally, I'd have waited until she walked away and her hands were full of plates or something, but then again the puppy might have been too desperate for that.

I know a lot of people like to simulate real life and make their sims clean up after themselves, but personally I stopped caring about that ages ago. (Maybe around the time in TS1 that I tried to make my sim clean up a flower vase that a friend had brought, and she just up and died on me. So I reloaded and tried again. Same thing. Over and over and over, until I deleted the blasted object and moved on.) So now I just drag everything to the trash. Newspapers, garbage piles, the contents of the potty once someone has removed them, even plates, although they get dumped in the dishwasher if my sims have bought one. The only chore my sims do is the laundry, but I still gather the dirty clothes and toss them in the washing machine first.

On the other hand, once the family can afford to contract it out, the maids are on their own.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Oh, did I not mention this? There were other things for her to clean up on the lot but the maid would not move from in front of the (at the time) one toy box. She was actually standing guard over it.

I'm not often bothered by ineffectual household servants who are not under my control, they do usually leave the place cleaner than when they found it. This is a pretty unusual household for me though. Three sims plus the puppy, one of the human sims I've made non-selectable with MasterController so I have no control over what she does. The other adult has a busy work schedule and the teen even more so between school, a part time job, and they all have skills that they are way behind in working on. Since they do have the funds and the cash flow unlike most other households I've only just started playing, the maid service seemed like a good fit at the time. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I'm sure there must have been a way to make that work maybe if I had tried several toys at the same time, but what was happening was that the maid was getting "Clean Up" on the toy in her action queue immediately, faster than the puppy could even begin waddling over to wherever I would place it even if it was right in front of them. Thus the object was unavailable to the dog because the maid, although she didn't always get there first, had the object locked and in use.

Guess I was more amused than annoyed by this, it's not like the dog was harmed in any way, but the game of Sneak the Toy Past the Maid sure did use up a lot of game clock time before I found a way around it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about items not being available to anyone else as soon as someone decides to interact with them. But that reminds me of something I a few years ago. I was playing a single mom with a toddler. She had to go to work so there was a babysitter there every day. The babysitter must have had the neat trait, because every time my toddler left a toy on the floor and went to do something else, the babysitter immediately picked up the toy and put it away. So I amused myself with a game of "torment the babysitter," and had the toddler get out a toy, leave it on the floor, get out another, leave it on the floor, and on and on, all day long. It was funny. The babysitter had been reading books in between tending to the toddler, but she never got a chance again, once I invented that game. I still do it to babysitters sometimes.
  • Options
    jennydb91jennydb91 Posts: 23 Member
    I figured on here you would get 100.000 from a genie, so I did that and was finally able to build a bigger house. Now I want to befriend the genie and have her move in with me :)
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited June 2018
    haha true @igazor especially for eco-friendly sims perhaps it happens the positive recycling moodlet.
    But my simself rarely cares of cleaning them she is not eco-friendly trait so it's only a help to keep her house tidy lol. Sometimes
    when she has missions as PI she has her house full of dirt.
    haha nasty maid she hates pets for sure ahaha. Be aware that sims 3 has kind of sub-personalities that isn't shown by the traits.
    Sims 3 people are more complex than people thinks about.

---

Miss V my simself got the visit of Viviane's female dog yesterday and I could wash her in the bathtub and taking care of her, she had fleas poor baby xD , she played with Sirius and she said hi to Mistigriff and she likes to play the ball in the small garden.
    And guess what? When Brunelle was home, Viviane called Miss V ahaha. Brunelle seems to be an Airedale (big as size)

I love the sims 3 so much especially unexpected event like this, this game is awesome and it shows it's far superior to sims 4 the lie and sims 2.

So yes pets of your friends can visit your home 100% confirmed !
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    I just discovered that plantsims leave behind a flower trail. So adorable
    :) Smile!

• Options
    MadMuffieMadMuffie Posts: 47 Member
    So I didn't know they had a weird bug where a toddler that's sick with the pestilence plague and has the urge to cough, will do that stretching thing like they do to go up and down ladders. But they don't do it for vomiting, that's just a cancelled action. Very creepy. Callie isn't super worried that her son is some kind of demon, she accepts as he is.

SOixmnU.jpg
    2jRvktE.jpg
    f40CmC4.jpg
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Been building a bit and there's two commands that I have had very little acquaintance with until recently... constrainfloorelevation and placefriezes. Both of those commands have been very useful in creating stuff like a sloped driveway leading to a garage.

Still a neophyte when it comes to building in Sims 3, but am hoping to make my Sims houses a bit more unique down the road as I attempt to master all the Sims 3 bulding tools provided. This game is incredible... (Sims 3 offers a plethora of building options that no other Sims game can come close to...Sims 4 tries, but well...me and Sims 4 don't get along...hence the reason I haven't bought it).
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    MadMuffieMadMuffie Posts: 47 Member
    Not sure if anyone else knew, but the reason they call that section floors/ceiling is because if you tilt the camera up you can get rid of that ugly ceiling and replace it with something better or worse. Not sure how I went years without knowing this, but alrighty. Lovely ceiling now though.

Jxf4AAY.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top