Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One of the main features is a.....???

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Keep in mind EPs as recently defined are "broad and shallow". Which I believe is true (see retail system that stops short, DJing that ends at level five, dancing that ends at level five, active careers that mirror each other in directives) If it's basketball I'd be prepared for (if you are lucky) A: It's a main feature of the game like closets or darts. B: At most you'll be able to "shoot hoops" against one or two other people and they'll all take turns walking up to do it in a line like the dart board for GT with some sort of scoring mechanism C: There is no C, that's it- remember EPs are shallow now. Maybe if it were a Basketball GP then it would have some "depth" and maybe be one of the GPs that "gets pretty deep". If you are not lucky then be prepared for being able to shoot hoops alone (possibly only carry it around as a sort of accessory) and spin the ball on your finger (possibly only hold it on your finger ala the cups from the cafe in GT). Sorry, but that's what I think you can expect. It's a micro-transaction world where the idea of large packs with large changes is being pushed out in favor of five dollar re-skins for your in game hat. "It's just five dollars and it's SO COOL! OMG I love it!" A whole generation of kids raised on Farmville and phone apps are coming of age and to them it seems great and normal.

DJing has 10 levels, first off. EPs are meant to be broad, but they never said shallow. And lastly, someone like me, a "kid raised on Farmville and phone apps," I know perfectly well this isn't normal. I don't like me, or my generation, being categorized into the fan base that's ruining this franchise. You wouldn't want someone to say "these people who are too attached to the old games are ruining my experience, and they're the reason that some of this stuff's happening, because it's so terrible and they're just pandering to them. These people are too stubborn to ever appreciate it."

@HIFreeBirdIH Okay, so DJing has ten levels- I guess it didn't impress me enough to remember that. I was thinking it was five like dancing. The quote about the Expansion Packs was "broad but not necessarily deep". Sorry, I read that as shallow. That's the other side from deep and it bears out when you look at what's been delivered via the EP system this iteration vs. past games. It's not about pandering or blame, it's about shifting market forces directed by corporate interests that have been pushing toward the a micro transaction landscape for a decade because it means more money for less effort. You have a generation raised on the concept because that's what was available and so naturally by and large I think they see that as normal in a PC landscape- because it now is. It's not as though buyers are faced with on one hand a great, expansive EP that has layer upon layer of depth and you constantly discover something new OR a "red hat with fancy decal" and they chose the latter. The latter is becoming the only option. Those examples are exaggerated for effect but I think it's basically the case. GPs were describe during the same panel as getting pretty deep. I don't see that either- at all, which is not saying they are bad but they're not deep. I have to wonder about a person saying that and what exactly their basis of comparison is. If you'd like to try and explain how exactly that is the case with say any of the 3 GPs, if you should agree with the statement then I'd be happy to read and consider your point of view. Naturally, not every single person of any group is going to think entirely the same- I keep forgetting that everything on these forums has too be prefaced with "I think" "maybe" "by and large but not exclusively" "perhaps" "IMO" and on and on without someone getting upset because they feel any statement directed in a generalized fashion automatically refers to them. If you don't feel this is normal then good for you, it shows you have some sense- IMO.
  • Options
    PrettyOddPrettyOdd Posts: 63 Member
    @HIFreeBirdIH @JasonAnthonySterling

I agree with @HIFreeBirdIH that the game is not targeting a generation so much as it being a game that would have been better as a phone app rather than a pc game. I can only assume it was done to save money as well as expand the audience that plays this game (you can jump in at TS4 without ever playing previous iterations and be perfectly satisfied). I wish that wasn't the case, because there are still plenty of brilliant pc games by other titles that are in depth and have large audiences. :(
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    BASKETBALL??? SERIOUSLY???? This is Get Together all over again. Pro-tip: EA/Maxis you simply don't put a gameplay object as a main feature in a $40 PACK! That makes it sound/seem as a small one. Should've learned from the "Closet". Anyways, I won't hate on City Life that much and will give it a chance. It is just this irritated me xD I really hope this pack isn't a small barebone one :sweat:

P.S: I know some of you might be thinking that a basket-ball court is a BIG FEATURE and not something small but knowing EA, it won't be a little mini basketball court but more like a little hoop where you throw the ball. Just like The Sims 2 Freetime and the football field in The Sims 3 Seasons thus it shouldn't count as a big feature. UNLESS we get a legit match, which I HIGHLY DOUBT.

Give it a chance. At this point I feel like people just want to rant (no offense, OP). We really don't know jack plum about anything regarding the new EP. Honestly, it may not even be a real thing. I HIGHLY doubt the only new feature of the supposed city life EP will be a basketball. That's honestly really insane to even believe. It's not like they've even shown legit confirmed screen shots of the game. The basketball is most likely going to be an accessory/activity that will be included in the game. Just calm down, I really feel fans are losing their marbles!

I mean, don't get me wrong. I made a rant on Sims 4 a few weeks ago but I took it down because I really doubt its going to do anything. EA knows what we want and TS4 is a pretty good game, if it just steps up a bit and gives us what we want (toddlers and pets, that's it!) than they will have all the room in the world to impress us. Until than, yes, we are salty- and rightfully so. But give it a chance, Get Together was decent and and I am pretty certain there will be more content to the next EP than just a.... basketball.

Basketball was likely mentioned because a lot of people want it back in the game -- we've had basketball hoops since Sims 2 (maybe even Sims 1, I don't remember). It doesn't mean it's a "key feature" or even a "big feature" -- the rumored apartments and festivals are probably bigger than basketball.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Isa_MenezesIsa_Menezes Posts: 101 Member
    Basketball would be "a thing" if teams of sims could play that, but I do not think it's going to happen... :/ So I would say the focus will be apartments and the festivals... But I really hope they bring back the landlord NPC... :/
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    If basketball courts is added under sports equipment it could be added to a gym lot to make the gym experience more well-rounded. If however it gets added under games or outdoor activities there'd probably be no point adding it to a gym as sims wouldn't use it there.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    If basketball courts is added under sports equipment it could be added to a gym lot to make the gym experience more well-rounded. If however it gets added under games or outdoor activities there'd probably be no point adding it to a gym as sims wouldn't use it there.

I would say it would be put as an outdoor activity :P It isn't an equipment
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Since there is no Vamps in this pack, I will only buy it cause of the Apartments, everything else I no longer care bout in this dang pack, cause stuff is still not in it that I really wanted, pfft.
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    Are you mad? The main features is apartments + penthouses and living in a city.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited September 2016
    Callum2000 wrote: »
    Are you mad? The main features is apartments + penthouses and living in a city.

Did you even read when and where did I post this?

Hint: Before it got officially announced and in the speculation and rumors section
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    amabackamaback Posts: 1 New Member
    BASKETBALL??? SERIOUSLY???? This is Get Together all over again. Pro-tip: EA/Maxis you simply don't put a gameplay object as a main feature in a $40 PACK! That makes it sound/seem as a small one. Should've learned from the "Closet"
    Anyways, I won't hate on City Life that much and will give it a chance. It is just this irritated me xD I really hope this pack isn't a small barebone one :sweat:
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Closing necro'd thread from 2016/. Please be mindful of the necro'd thread rule. Thanks.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top