Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One of the main features is a.....???

Comments

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    The SimGurus have said nothing about basketball being a "key feature" -- it was just mentioned in a leak, probably because a lot of players have been asking for basketball to make a return since the Arrival trailer showed the basketball player falling from the sky:

https://youtu.be/WLmN1D1P2RI

Let's wait until there's some official word about what's in the pack before jumping to conclusions.

What makes that video stands out is the hair animation :(
    Another practice they followed TS3 with and taking the franchise back to the days of the original sims.
    TS2 is the only sim game that came with hair animation.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    BASKETBALL??? SERIOUSLY???? This is Get Together all over again. Pro-tip: EA/Maxis you simply don't put a gameplay object as a main feature in a $40 PACK! That makes it sound/seem as a small one. Should've learned from the "Closet". Anyways, I won't hate on City Life that much and will give it a chance. It is just this irritated me xD I really hope this pack isn't a small barebone one :sweat:

P.S: I know some of you might be thinking that a basket-ball court is a BIG FEATURE and not something small but knowing EA, it won't be a little mini basketball court but more like a little hoop where you throw the ball. Just like The Sims 2 Freetime and the football field in The Sims 3 Seasons thus it shouldn't count as a big feature. UNLESS we get a legit match, which I HIGHLY DOUBT.

I agree - I don't want any feature sets which involve basketball courts and basketball is generally undesirable where I come from! A teaser image featuring characters who are spinning basketballs is very un-attractive.

You do realize that they're designing a game with more than just you in mind, right? I personally want and need basketball back in the Sims. And in many US cities, heading down to the neighborhood playground to shoot hoops with one's buddies is key after school entertainment and part of the city culture.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    argos93argos93 Posts: 66 Member
    I think that basketball give personality to our sims as other features, so why not? As someone has said above, is part of some places culture. Even in my country, people play basketball and football the most (by football I mean soccer not rugby).
  • Options
    RoisinhRoisinh Posts: 4 New Member
    domina89 wrote: »
    I'm more afraid it will be a gigantic court that will absorb most of my lot space. See: water slide, cupcake maker, telescope, etc...

It has always bothered me that the cupcake maker is so big. I want to make cupcakes. I do NOT want that thing visible on any part of my lot.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I'm more afraid it will be a gigantic court that will absorb most of my lot space. See: water slide, cupcake maker, telescope, etc...

Well, Basketball Courts are something that usually are pretty big? Unless there's some sort of way that people can play basketball in, like, a bathroom.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited September 2016

Well, Basketball Courts are something that usually are pretty big? Unless there's some sort of way that people can play basketball in, like, a bathroom.

There is:

slam_dunk_toilet_basketball_2.jpg

Lol

But I would expect basketball courts to be big too
  • Options
    QDog wrote: »

There is:

slam_dunk_toilet_basketball_2.jpg

Lol

But I would expect basketball courts to be big too

Oh my gosh. That's pretty great, but anyway, Basketball Courts are something that should take up a substantial amount of space, since you'll need a lot to actually do stuff. It would be nice if they let Sims play different Basketball games on it, like HORSE (LLAMA I think it would be called in The Sims,) Dunk Contest, Free Throw, and if you slot two courts into each other you could do a proper 3 on 3 basketball game. Kinda doubt the last one, but it would be cool if we got the rest.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    You do realize that they're designing a game with more than just you in mind, right? I personally want and need basketball back in the Sims. And in many US cities, heading down to the neighborhood playground to shoot hoops with one's buddies is key after school entertainment and part of the city culture.

I'm just voicing my opinion and pointing out that basketball is only of interest within the 'inner-most' part of any city therefore no one who can afford to run The Sims at any respectable depth will care for a basketball hoop.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I'm just voicing my opinion and pointing out that basketball is only of interest within the 'inner-most' part of any city therefore no one who can afford to run The Sims at any respectable depth will care for a basketball hoop.

Thanks for the hidden insult. I feel that I run my game with "respectable depth" (whatever that means) and I'm looking forward to basketball, both for my Bro Sims and also just for general Fitness building. I didn't grow up in an "inner city", rather in a suburb, and we had basketball hoops on our elementary school playground and they were quite well used, both at recess and after school/on weekends. (My family lived right behind the school and my brother and his friends would go shoot hoops long after they'd moved on to middle school and high school.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited September 2016

"Respectable depth" includes not representing only upper-middle-class people who have fancy gym memberships and go to spas. A rich culture is inclusive, not exclusive. And FWIW, I'd like to see not only basketball courts in this "Life in the City" (or whatever it's called in English) pack, but also makeshift skateboard parks. In my urban neighbourhood, which has a really wide mix of income levels, from social housing to omg-how-can-anyone-afford-that—the "inner city" comes in many flavors—there's one that's a small skating rink in the winter. It was just unofficial boards and blocks of wood until a community centre that also hosts a small alternative high school built a few bigger things that it stores when the rink gets iced. Pickup basketball, hanging out at the skateboard park, winter shinny—those are just as much a part of urban life as the gyms in the new condo buildings are. (I like going skating on the part of the rink next to the shinny game.) They're a lot of what keeps urban life from being shallow.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member

Well, I guess we could have basketball in the basement...
  • Options
    GardeningGardening Posts: 207 Member
    How are some of you guys exited got this a main feature is a dang basketball hoop that shouldn't be a main feature it looks legit but I'm
    Hoping it's not.

But whatever EA gives us most of the summers will eat it up.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    blugar44 wrote: »
    Perhaps it'll become a trend to add a sport to EPs. I doubt basketball will be the only sport we will see in TS4 lifespan... or at least I hope!
    I don't think they have ever really hit the target with sports in any previous iteration though -- I guess they were a bit closer with soccer in TS3 since there were some 'stats' in terms of wins and losses but overall it was just shoot outs. Maybe this time they will develop them to be really deep with actual matches! I'd be super impressed.
    I guess it's a lot of animation to have to animate 2 whole teams without making the match repetitive every single time.

I am so so hyped about basketball <3

Finally a physical game, I want more of them. Running around and jumping! Whee :smile:
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

What! Lol.

Why on earth would basket only be of interest within the 'inner-most' part of the city? Whenever my family took me and a sibling out traveling during the summer we always brought a soccerball and a basketball. We were too young to speak that many languages but we could always play with the other kids. So from my experience it worked just fine in middle of nowhere Italy and Greece where we were backpacking.

And how would enjoying basketball affect a persons ability to play the Sims? Lol, what is a respectable depth? I sure hope I am not playing the game in a unrespectable way :wink: That would be dreadful.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Even in the suburbs people have portable basketball hoop/stand in the driveway or just a hoop screwed just above the garage door. At the park people play, and the playground of schools.... :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    EmTheSimmerEmTheSimmer Posts: 34 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    BASKETBALL??? SERIOUSLY???? This is Get Together all over again. Pro-tip: EA/Maxis you simply don't put a gameplay object as a main feature in a $40 PACK! That makes it sound/seem as a small one. Should've learned from the "Closet". Anyways, I won't hate on City Life that much and will give it a chance. It is just this irritated me xD I really hope this pack isn't a small barebone one :sweat:

P.S: I know some of you might be thinking that a basket-ball court is a BIG FEATURE and not something small but knowing EA, it won't be a little mini basketball court but more like a little hoop where you throw the ball. Just like The Sims 2 Freetime and the football field in The Sims 3 Seasons thus it shouldn't count as a big feature. UNLESS we get a legit match, which I HIGHLY DOUBT.

Give it a chance. At this point I feel like people just want to rant (no offense, OP). We really don't know jack plum about anything regarding the new EP. Honestly, it may not even be a real thing. I HIGHLY doubt the only new feature of the supposed city life EP will be a basketball. That's honestly really insane to even believe. It's not like they've even shown legit confirmed screen shots of the game. The basketball is most likely going to be an accessory/activity that will be included in the game. Just calm down, I really feel fans are losing their marbles!

I mean, don't get me wrong. I made a rant on Sims 4 a few weeks ago but I took it down because I really doubt its going to do anything. EA knows what we want and TS4 is a pretty good game, if it just steps up a bit and gives us what we want (toddlers and pets, that's it!) than they will have all the room in the world to impress us. Until than, yes, we are salty- and rightfully so. But give it a chance, Get Together was decent and and I am pretty certain there will be more content to the next EP than just a.... basketball.
    hi
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member

What! Lol.

Why on earth would basket only be of interest within the 'inner-most' part of the city? Whenever my family took me and a sibling out traveling during the summer we always brought a soccerball and a basketball. We were too young to speak that many languages but we could always play with the other kids. So from my experience it worked just fine in middle of nowhere Italy and Greece where we were backpacking.

And how would enjoying basketball affect a persons ability to play the Sims? Lol, what is a respectable depth? I sure hope I am not playing the game in a unrespectable way :wink: That would be dreadful.

Don't fret, it's just stereotyping at its finest.

Basketball is a loved sport by all types of people in all types of places with all types of financial backgrounds.

I myself am not a fan of basketball but I feel like sports are an important part of most any culture and I am pretty excited about having it added. I do hope it is more than a few bounce the ball animations but I am not going to expect all that much. I also figure it will will be a fairly small object.

• Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    edited September 2016
    If basketball is going to be a main feature, then it better be fleshed out and not just another interactive object which looses it's appeal after a week. (Someone mentioned making it a skill and teams between worlds) which I think would be a great idea. I found it laughable that a new world and a closet was a star feature for the Get Together expansion when It doesn't give any extra dynamic gameplay.

I miss the real meaty features of Turn on's and Turn Off's & Reputation system which really affected Sims lives and how you played and made the Sims a little more individual. It's hard to speculate with what info we have so far, heres hoping the next expansions a good one.
  • Options
    argos93argos93 Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2016
    Why are some people assuming that basketball is a main feature, it's just an active object one of those we are saying all the time we want. It's not a main feature, it's just an object to make the experience of the game richer. Like a piano or a guitar in the base game. Nothing great. The main feature are a new type of lot (appartment), the city festivals, and so... but not the basketball thing... At least it doesn't look like that to me. Just my opinion, no ofense. <3
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member

Woow you did not just say that...no, you totally did. Holy classism and stereotypes.
  • Options
    iBrowiBrow Posts: 42 Member
    I wanna see them do an entire Sports EP with land/water, indoor/outdoor sports like gymnastics, figure skating, wrestling, NBA etc. and they could have "simlympics" (like the Olympics y'know?)
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    MocaJava wrote: »

Woow you did not just say that...no, you totally did. Holy classism and stereotypes.

I dont even understand the statement, thats apparently how low depth I am... :neutral:

Seriously, what does that even mean? What does Respectable Depth mean? Is that some sort of...dig at culture? Or people who can afford something? I ... seriously I dont even know what thats supposed to convey, except maybe to incite just for s&g because everyone is left to guess at the meaning and intent.

boo-hiss.jpg
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    Nectere wrote: »
    MocaJava wrote: »

I dont even understand the statement, thats apparently how low depth I am... :neutral:

Seriously, what does that even mean? What does Respectable Depth mean? Is that some sort of...dig at culture? Or people who can afford something? I ... seriously I dont even know what thats supposed to convey, except maybe to incite just for s&g because everyone is left to guess at the meaning and intent.

boo-hiss.jpg

My interpretation was that only people from the inner city play basketball, and those people are poor, and the poor can't afford a decent computer, so they can't play TS4 on the best settings? It's a really lousy thing to say regardless. I don't know where @Forest_Ninja is from but I'm American and plenty of middle class neighborhoods (i.e. people who CAN afford a good computer) have basketball hoops attached to their garages or a pole set up in their driveway.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited September 2016
    Keep in mind EPs as recently defined are "broad and shallow". Which I believe is true (see retail system that stops short, DJing that ends at level five, dancing that ends at level five, active careers that mirror each other in directives) If it's basketball I'd be prepared for (if you are lucky) A: It's a main feature of the game like closets or darts. B: At most you'll be able to "shoot hoops" against one or two other people and they'll all take turns walking up to do it in a line like the dart board for GT with some sort of scoring mechanism C: There is no C, that's it- remember EPs are shallow now. Maybe if it were a Basketball GP then it would have some "depth" and maybe be one of the GPs that "gets pretty deep". If you are not lucky then be prepared for being able to shoot hoops alone (possibly only carry it around as a sort of accessory) and spin the ball on your finger (possibly only hold it on your finger ala the cups from the cafe in GT). Sorry, but that's what I think you can expect. It's a micro-transaction world where the idea of large packs with large changes is being pushed out in favor of five dollar re-skins for your in game hat. "It's just five dollars and it's SO COOL! OMG I love it!" A whole generation of kids raised on Farmville and phone apps are coming of age and to them it seems great and normal.
  • Options
    Keep in mind EPs as recently defined are "broad and shallow". Which I believe is true (see retail system that stops short, DJing that ends at level five, dancing that ends at level five, active careers that mirror each other in directives) If it's basketball I'd be prepared for (if you are lucky) A: It's a main feature of the game like closets or darts. B: At most you'll be able to "shoot hoops" against one or two other people and they'll all take turns walking up to do it in a line like the dart board for GT with some sort of scoring mechanism C: There is no C, that's it- remember EPs are shallow now. Maybe if it were a Basketball GP then it would have some "depth" and maybe be one of the GPs that "gets pretty deep". If you are not lucky then be prepared for being able to shoot hoops alone (possibly only carry it around as a sort of accessory) and spin the ball on your finger (possibly only hold it on your finger ala the cups from the cafe in GT). Sorry, but that's what I think you can expect. It's a micro-transaction world where the idea of large packs with large changes is being pushed out in favor of five dollar re-skins for your in game hat. "It's just five dollars and it's SO COOL! OMG I love it!" A whole generation of kids raised on Farmville and phone apps are coming of age and to them it seems great and normal.

DJing has 10 levels, first off. EPs are meant to be broad, but they never said shallow. And lastly, someone like me, a "kid raised on Farmville and phone apps," I know perfectly well this isn't normal. I don't like me, or my generation, being categorized into the fan base that's ruining this franchise. You wouldn't want someone to say "these people who are too attached to the old games are ruining my experience, and they're the reason that some of this stuff's happening, because it's so terrible and they're just pandering to them. These people are too stubborn to ever appreciate it."
    xyIcMqt.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top