Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you guys sure that you really want toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    I do not want toddlers and never wanted them in the first place. And I must admit, I'm rather tired of the "then just age them up". In Sims 2 and 3 there were negative consequences for doing so (missing out on aspiration perks in 2, getting a negative trait in 3), so it can be assumed that it will be so in Sims 4, too.
    ~
    There's isn't a negative consequence, in relation to trait picking, for doing poorly in school for teens and children. However if you complete the child's aspiration, you get a perk to skill building-- nothing too big to miss out on and I'm sure not everyone completes then for every one of their children. What I'm saying is, perhaps it'll be like that with toddlers?

Regardless, it's better to have the ability to choose than none at all.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I do not want toddlers and never wanted them in the first place. And I must admit, I'm rather tired of the "then just age them up". In Sims 2 and 3 there were negative consequences for doing so (missing out on aspiration perks in 2, getting a negative trait in 3), so it can be assumed that it will be so in Sims 4, too.
    There are these great things called cheat codes, you know.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited February 2016

To exaggerate a bit:
    No toddlers - game is ruined for toddler fans.
    Toddlers - game is ruined for toddler haters.

Either way one faction loses, but it seems to be a given in the community that the toddler lovers have a right to get their wish fulfilled, while the toddler haters must walk with their eyes cast down, constantly justify themselves and say how happy they'll be for the others if toddlers eventually are implemented.

I have two toddlers at the moment in my Sims 2 legacy and there is so little that they can do that they do not feel like persons in their own right. They can play with toys, hug each other, hug pets, sing a song, ask for food, ask for attention and crawl around. Everything else is done by other lifestages with the toddler being the passive target of the action. In short, toddlers feel like objects and it takes posing and clever screenshooting to give them personality.
    A toddler should talk back when talked to, nap in the weirdest places, sit on their parents' lap, grab the table cloth and try to mouth-sample everything that cannot crawl away fast enough. If EA pulls off toddlers that feel alive and more like 3 year olds than 1,5 year olds, then I'll make my peace with them. Give me (this), but in actual gameplay and I'll root for toddlers anytime!
    No toddlers - game is ruined for toddler fans
    Toddlers - game is only affected in a minor and very fixable way for toddler haters
    Because yes, you can age them and the 'punishment' following can be solved. I love toddlers and I change traits all the time if I regret one. That's really not a big deal. In no way does it ruin an entire game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Interesting replies.

I wouldn't know what a solution would be to please both sides.

Maybe they could change things, if a baby grows up, they become a toddler. You then get a notification asking if you want to see the Sim as a toddler, if you reject, you then have 24 Sim hours to age the toddler up with no consiquence, they become a child with no penalty.

Those who wish to play as a toddler could get extra perks once the toddler has aged up, maybe an extra skill opportunity or something.

This way there is no loss for any player. Those who just want to skip the stage can jump into child stage instantly, while those who do want the toddler stage can still enjoy that stage. There will be no losers, just winners, and everyone is happy :smile:

I don't see this happening in TS4 though but I will give it some thought and maybe I could start a thread and perhaps the devs could use it for TS5.

No need to disagree on the situation anymore, let's provide a good level of feedback so next time round, even Simmer gets a look in :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I think a very good way to avoid the problem of having age groups in your game you don't want to have is them giving us checkboxes in the options for the life stages we want to use/don't use. I don't know if that would be easy to code though.
  • Options
    Anemone7 wrote: »
    I think a very good way to avoid the problem of having age groups in your game you don't want to have is them giving us checkboxes in the options for the life stages we want to use/don't use. I don't know if that would be easy to code though.

That could be a good idea as well but it could be problematic when it comes to the technical sides of things
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    What I don't get is that nobody complained about this during TS2's reign and most will still agree that is the best game standing to this day. You'll find toddlers in that.

I feel the only issue with toddlers is those who have the issue in the first place. Whether one likes a toddler or not is a moot point because they should be in the game regardless of what any of us think. It's a frikkin LIFE SIMULATOR. It would be like asking for Rollercoaster Tycoon but not being able to build one. -__-

Toddlers were never an issue before now, and if they were it was very minor, I've been on these forums a while and it was never like this, and I think people need to look at themselves before they scream toddlers will ruin this game; maybe it's not a game you should be playing if that is how you really, honestly feel.

*slaps self for even commenting but I just have no will power today*

--T

ETA: Added text...and spelling
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    What I don't get is that nobody complained about this during TS2's reign and most will still agree that is the best game standing to this day. You'll find toddlers in that.

I feel the only issue with toddlers is those who have the issue in the first place. Whether one likes a toddler or not is a moot point because they should be in the game regardless of what any of us think. It's a frikkin LIFE SIMULATOR. It would be like asking for Rollercoaster Tycoon but not being able to build one. -__-

Toddlers were never an issue before now, and if they were it was very minor, I've been on these forums a while and it was never like this, and I think people need to look at themselves before they scream toddlers will ruin this game; maybe it's not a game you should be playing if that is how you really, honestly feel.

--T

I agree with you perhaps people shouldn't play a life simulator if they don't want it to simulate life but want to just use it for ambitions, goals, achievements and badges and ribbons. That has always baffled me.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

--T

I agree with you perhaps people shouldn't play a life simulator if they don't want it to simulate life but want to just use it for ambitions, goals, achievements and badges and ribbons. That has always baffled me.
    I want a life simulator but toddler in my games in that past have been the biggest pain. I feel like they are the greatest age to bond with while they are little and they don't have school. But saying that the toddler experiences I have had in TS3 I hated that age with a passion. But I would let them live the full 4 days because that is all I could handle. I think toddlers are adorable though and it would fill the gap between baby and child.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

--T

Oh, I know how to simulate life. don't worry ;)

But I have some big ideas, will be presenting my ideas over the next few days when I am not busy. I am excited! :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited February 2016
    I want toddlers. Period. I play TS4 from time to time, but I'm still waiting for toddlers. (Ts3 is not my fav, so I'm usually playing Ts2 for my toddler and general family play.)

For me, toddlers would be a sign that more things from previous base games may be added in the future.

Of course, toddlers is not the end all. Of course, there are still issues. It's like any other content.

However, toddlers are an important and touchy issue, because they represent big changes and a change of direction or mindset in this recent iteration.

For example: If they start charging for toddlers in this iteration, what other base game content would they charge for, whether it's this iteration or next iteration? If we start accepting a huge base game change/omission, then what else can EA/Maxis take away from us in the next iteration?

I want my freak'in toddlers. I will not stop asking for them, no matter how much others (especially toddler haters) want to shut us (pro-toddler peeps) up.

I will not shut up (or be shut down by distracting arguments).

(The moment it's confirmed that toddlers will never come to ts4 is the moment when I boycott future EA/Maxis content. Including their other series, like Mass Effect/Dragon Age, of which I've also been a fan of. I would be sad, but that's how important stuff like toddlers is to me.)

~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    OK before everyone gets excited, I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone, however I am curious to why so many people are still speculating that EP3 might be about toddlers, when it won't be out for months yet and no announcement will be made for a long time either.

The thing is, I see across these forums players saying they will not be happy until toddlers are added like they are some sort of 'given right' in the game. Yet lets look forward, and say toddlers where actually added, would you really enjoy playing with them? I mean, what can you do with toddlers other than teach to walk, talk, potty train and ready books. Ok, they might play with toys, they might be able to play with other toddler and they will make cute pictures but what else?

Will these toddlers be able to get a job? Go on a date? Get married and have kids of their own? Not while they are toddlers of course so aside from being cute, and they would certainly be an improvement from being a baby growing straight into a child, I can't really see what value they would give to a Sims game other compared to other life stages.

Now lets look at weather or not they are considered 'base content' and weather people should pay for them. I don't actually have much to say on that, they have never officially been regarded as base content, only other than they appeared in two previous Sims games. One popular suggestion is that if they ever came back in a 'Generations EP' then they could come for free in a patch. Ok cool, but then what would be the point in a Generations EP if you get toddlers for free anyway? A few interactions, a new town to play in and some clothing? Sounds more like a GP to me?

One of popular suggestion is that pre teens could come in an EP, so you get toddlers for free but to get the pre teens you have to pay for the EP. Sounds good for those who want them but now you have two life stages being made, that is twice the amount of coding to make the animations, twice the amount of testing ad twice the amount of time that will be needed to make such an EP, and why should a never been seen before preteen life stage be used to be a 'pull factor' to get people to buy an EP that would compensate toddlers being given for free?

Am I getting at something here?

Now I have been speaking to a lot of Simmers, there are many who have different opinions, some where disappointed with TS4 for a number of reasons and have long since moved on while others enjoy TS4 and do not even want toddlers in the game, nor do they want a Generations P to be thrown out just to appease people. A lot of players want a strong and stable game and to see other issues to be addressed first. I said this a few times lately but it seems that there are much more important things that need to be dealt with people more content is thrown out. Culling is an issue I see mentioned a lot and if that is an issue, then how would that be improved when you start throwing toddlers into the mix?

A lot of players are concerned about the 'silence' over the situation and there are some very good threads about that, but to be honest, I can't blame the devs to keep quiet on things. At the end of their day if they cannot talk about future content, then that is the way things are going to be. If I was a dev and working on a game, the last thing I would want to see every single time I go online is floods of messages from disgruntled players about content they want while at the same time I am also seeing compliments from happy players.

The way I see it is this, if you don't like a game, don't play it, no one is forcing you to buy any more content for that game. I have been disappointed by games before as well, Tomb Raider 2013 being one big kick in the teeth to me, yet their was a popular following so I just shrugged it off as not being the game from me and I moved on from it, loading up TS3 and all was well again ;)

So my purpose of this thread is not to debate with anyone, but I clearly have a few things I want to say for a while, toddlers are not the be all and end off of The Sims, they are a minor life stage and if you cannot enjoy other aspects of the game, then I don't think you will enjoy the much more with toddlers either. If you are happy with TS4 however, I do apologise for the hate you must have top see every day. I do not play TS4 myself for my own reasons and I have stated my reasons before but I respect other people's opinions as we are all Simmers at the end of the day :smile:

Thanks for reading and if you are going to respond then please do so respectfully and refrain from attacking others if their points of view differ from your.

Happy Simming! :smiley:

Peace

I can never understand your threads, I'm always confused as to if these are suppose to actually tell us anything or if you are just throwing ideas into the air or retelling us past actions/events and trying to make a point of them for whatever reasons. If you want to tell us something please do so. And since this isn't a thread about debating anything I guess I have nothing else to say.

mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    I want toddlers. Period. I play TS4 from time to time, but I'm still waiting for toddlers. (Ts3 is not my fav, so I'm usually playing Ts2 for my toddler and general family play.)

For me, toddlers would be a sign that more things from previous base games may be added in the future.

Of course, toddlers is not the end all. Of course, there are still issues. It's like any other content.

However, toddlers are an important and touchy issue, because they represent big changes and a change of direction or mindset in this recent iteration.

For example: If they start charging for toddlers in this iteration, what other base game content would they charge for, whether it's this iteration or next iteration? If we start accepting a huge base game change/omission, then what else can EA/Maxis take away from us in the next iteration?

I want my freak'in toddlers. I will not stop asking for them, no matter how much others (especially toddler haters) want to shut us (pro-toddler peeps) up.

I will not shut up (or be shut down by distracting arguments).

(The moment it's confirmed that toddlers will never come to ts4 is the moment when I boycott future EA/Maxis content. Including their other series, like Mass Effect/Dragon Age, of which I've also been a fan of. I would be sad, but that's how important stuff like toddlers is to me.)

Fair comments.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    OK before everyone gets excited, I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone, however I am curious to why so many people are still speculating that EP3 might be about toddlers, when it won't be out for months yet and no announcement will be made for a long time either.

The thing is, I see across these forums players saying they will not be happy until toddlers are added like they are some sort of 'given right' in the game. Yet lets look forward, and say toddlers where actually added, would you really enjoy playing with them? I mean, what can you do with toddlers other than teach to walk, talk, potty train and ready books. Ok, they might play with toys, they might be able to play with other toddler and they will make cute pictures but what else?

Will these toddlers be able to get a job? Go on a date? Get married and have kids of their own? Not while they are toddlers of course so aside from being cute, and they would certainly be an improvement from being a baby growing straight into a child, I can't really see what value they would give to a Sims game other compared to other life stages.

Now lets look at weather or not they are considered 'base content' and weather people should pay for them. I don't actually have much to say on that, they have never officially been regarded as base content, only other than they appeared in two previous Sims games. One popular suggestion is that if they ever came back in a 'Generations EP' then they could come for free in a patch. Ok cool, but then what would be the point in a Generations EP if you get toddlers for free anyway? A few interactions, a new town to play in and some clothing? Sounds more like a GP to me?

One of popular suggestion is that pre teens could come in an EP, so you get toddlers for free but to get the pre teens you have to pay for the EP. Sounds good for those who want them but now you have two life stages being made, that is twice the amount of coding to make the animations, twice the amount of testing ad twice the amount of time that will be needed to make such an EP, and why should a never been seen before preteen life stage be used to be a 'pull factor' to get people to buy an EP that would compensate toddlers being given for free?

Am I getting at something here?

Now I have been speaking to a lot of Simmers, there are many who have different opinions, some where disappointed with TS4 for a number of reasons and have long since moved on while others enjoy TS4 and do not even want toddlers in the game, nor do they want a Generations P to be thrown out just to appease people. A lot of players want a strong and stable game and to see other issues to be addressed first. I said this a few times lately but it seems that there are much more important things that need to be dealt with people more content is thrown out. Culling is an issue I see mentioned a lot and if that is an issue, then how would that be improved when you start throwing toddlers into the mix?

A lot of players are concerned about the 'silence' over the situation and there are some very good threads about that, but to be honest, I can't blame the devs to keep quiet on things. At the end of their day if they cannot talk about future content, then that is the way things are going to be. If I was a dev and working on a game, the last thing I would want to see every single time I go online is floods of messages from disgruntled players about content they want while at the same time I am also seeing compliments from happy players.

The way I see it is this, if you don't like a game, don't play it, no one is forcing you to buy any more content for that game. I have been disappointed by games before as well, Tomb Raider 2013 being one big kick in the teeth to me, yet their was a popular following so I just shrugged it off as not being the game from me and I moved on from it, loading up TS3 and all was well again ;)

So my purpose of this thread is not to debate with anyone, but I clearly have a few things I want to say for a while, toddlers are not the be all and end off of The Sims, they are a minor life stage and if you cannot enjoy other aspects of the game, then I don't think you will enjoy the much more with toddlers either. If you are happy with TS4 however, I do apologise for the hate you must have top see every day. I do not play TS4 myself for my own reasons and I have stated my reasons before but I respect other people's opinions as we are all Simmers at the end of the day :smile:

Thanks for reading and if you are going to respond then please do so respectfully and refrain from attacking others if their points of view differ from your.

Happy Simming! :smiley:

Peace

I can never understand your threads, I'm always confused as to if these are suppose to actually tell us anything or if you are just throwing ideas into the air or retelling us past actions/events and trying to make a point of them for whatever reasons. If you want to tell us something please do so. And since this isn't a thread about debating anything I guess I have nothing else to say.

Also fair comments.

My threads have a lot of meanings behind them :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    That has baffled me since I first saw people claiming they're happy toddlers weren't included. Where were these people who hate toddlers during Sims 2's run? Why didn't they stick with Sims 1 if they hated toddlers? Where were all those complaints about toddlers being boring, useless, time-consuming, and so on in 2004?
  • Options
    gmomasuegmomasue Posts: 648 Member
    Toddlers like in Sims 2 would be good ,but with the rocking chair and a strollers in Sims 3 .
  • Options
    That has baffled me since I first saw people claiming they're happy toddlers weren't included. Where were these people who hate toddlers during Sims 2's run? Why didn't they stick with Sims 1 if they hated toddlers? Where were all those complaints about toddlers being boring, useless, time-consuming, and so on in 2004?

I think with TS2, most people accepted toddlers as part of the 'new' gameplay and so they managed with them but I myself did find them a burden, having to get the skilled up was a chore and was one of those 'grinds' that slowed down gameplay.

Now when TS3 came out I found toddlers much easier to deal with, I even have a great shortcut for skill building with them and in fact I felt that I could work through the life stage my way. There was no object baby growing straight to a child, things felt very much real to me but with out too much hassle. Other's might disagree and state they preferred TS2 toddlers more.

You could say the same for the Open World concept. A few hate it, a lot do like it but I think it was after the announcement of TS4 a few of those who didn't like the Open World much then realised that they might be better suited to TS4 as there was no Open World where as before they merely put up with it.

In some cases, you don't always know how much you hate something until it is gone.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

I think with TS2, most people accepted toddlers as part of the 'new' gameplay and so they managed with them but I myself did find them a burden, having to get the skilled up was a chore and was one of those 'grinds' that slowed down gameplay.

Now when TS3 came out I found toddlers much easier to deal with, I even have a great shortcut for skill building with them and in fact I felt that I could work through the life stage my way. There was no object baby growing straight to a child, things felt very much real to me but with out too much hassle. Other's might disagree and state they preferred TS2 toddlers more.

You could say the same for the Open World concept. A few hate it, a lot do like it but I think it was after the announcement of TS4 a few of those who didn't like the Open World much then realised that they might be better suited to TS4 as there was no Open World where as before they merely put up with it.

In some cases, you don't always know how much you hate something until it is gone.
    Same could be said for liking something. I did like the open world, but I thought I could readjust without it. I was very wrong.
  • Options

Same could be said for liking something. I did like the open world, but I thought I could readjust without it. I was very wrong.

That's another reason why I don't fancy moving on from TS3. I don't want to put myself though all of that 'it is not the same as it used to be plum' again as I have felt with games before

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

That's another reason why I don't fancy moving on from TS3. I don't want to put myself though all of that 'it is not the same as it used to be plum' again as I have felt with games before

So, again, why was the point of this thread?

I think people need to stop lookin at toddlers as a giant burden. They're not. They're a crucial part of the game if it really wants to achieve life simulation. The same could also be said for the child stage; does nothing but go to school, do homework (which by the time when done, fun is usually drained) if they miss the homework they get bad grades resulting in a possibility of the social worker taking them away, not to mention any other child or teen on the lot.

Shall they remove children too, then. If anything is a burden, those are.

--T
  • Options

I think people need to stop lookin at toddlers as a giant burden. They're not. They're a crucial part of the game if it really wants to achieve life simulation. The same could also be said for the child stage; does nothing but go to school, do homework (which by the time when done, fun is usually drained) if they miss the homework they get bad grades resulting in a possibility of the social worker taking them away, not to mention any other child or teen on the lot.

--T
    I have to agree with this. Children in Sims 4 are cute, but they're not really there for much else. They're pretty much fully independent from the time they pop out of the cradle.

I have a couple whose baby recently became a child and she honestly feels more like a roommate than their kid. I see no reason for them to bother with her, and vice versa.
  • Options
    StaceyCarverStaceyCarver Posts: 38 Member
    For those who simply don't like toddlers, at least in other versions(I haven't played Sims4 much because there are no toddlers) you can adjust the length of time for each life stage; so if you love toddlers as I do, they can live a long and happy playful life, or if you hate them, they can have birthday after birthday and become adults in mere days. For those of us who love them, though; let us be able to have them and enjoy this game. Until then, it simply isn't enjoyable and I refrain from playing it until my couples can raise their babies from useless and boring lumps into cute toddlers.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    For those who simply don't like toddlers, at least in other versions(I haven't played Sims4 much because there are no toddlers) you can adjust the length of time for each life stage; so if you love toddlers as I do, they can live a long and happy playful life, or if you hate them, they can have birthday after birthday and become adults in mere days. For those of us who love them, though; let us be able to have them and enjoy this game. Until then, it simply isn't enjoyable and I refrain from playing it until my couples can raise their babies from useless and boring lumps into cute toddlers.

Are you suggesting that people who hate toddlers play Sims 3 so they can shorten the lifespan to nothing? O.o
  • Options

Are you suggesting that people who hate toddlers play Sims 3 so they can shorten the lifespan to nothing? O.o
    If you hate toddlers, but like Sims 3, it makes sense.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member

If you hate toddlers, but like Sims 3, it makes sense.

That answer alone deserved an awesome :D
  • Options

--T

Luckily in TS3 I have developed a tactic for dealing with homework. No mods are really needed but I can take advantage of the Overwatch mod. In this case when kids get home from school I let them do what they want but I as a rule, never play families during the night-time. I get the kids to watch TV and then select them to do their homework next.

They will not cancel the watching TV interaction though unless the TV is turned off. I then play another household and then, at 3.00am all TVs are switched off with the Overwatch mod which means the kids from the previous household will then do their homework.

When I return to play them the next day, their home work is done :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg