Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you guys sure that you really want toddlers?

Comments

• uo_aaronjduo_aaronjd Posts: 425 Member
    Personally for me I find it very hard to play/run a family without toddlers. Just doesn't FEEL right.
    What annoys me the most is that CHOICE has been taken away from us. In Sims 3 (cant speak for Sims 1 and 2 alas i missed out on those) You could age up your toddler and skip the stage, players had the CHOICE. That CHOICE has been taken away from us and its now "Our way or the Highway"
    Should they have been in the base game from start? Bloody Oath!! Of course they should have howebver id be only to happy to pay to have the lil nippers back!
    I miss running a Day Care centre, looking after toddlers and children, helping them grow into Adult Sims. I keep my fingers crossed that they will reintroduce toddlers and Day care and expand on education
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    Triplis wrote: »
    I've seen stirring the pot. That's not what the OP is doing. The OP simply has, or is making an argument for, an unpopular perspective. That doesn't make him a troll and if it did, that would make me very sad because it's on the level of cult mentality ("if you aren't with us, you're our enemy").

I think what the OP is trying to say is, maybe there are some underlying issues with the game that should be of a higher priority than adding toddlers. Such as culling. Among other arguments.

I was with you until I read that the OP has never played TS4 and doesnt intend to.

i didn't know that. seems rather pointless to me. it would be a bit like me randomly jumping into the Fallout 4 forum and making threads when i haven't even played the game... not something i would ever do and i feel to do so would be a bit insultive to people who actually do play the game. sorry, just my opinion.

i also realise that adding toddlers to this game will not be an instant fix for any of the other problems. it would just make it more enjoyable for me.

sorry for the lack of caps, i'm on my tablet and being lazy with the shift key.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Sim_Man17 wrote: »
    Well... To be honest, I really don't care so much about toddlers. I would be fine with them in my game and all, but I mainly would just skip them to the child life stage after teaching them how to walk, talk, and use the John. Though I don't own The Sims 4. So I shouldn't really say what is and isn't good for the game. Since I don't know much about it other than the Expansion Packs and what some current players have been saying about it. Even though I don't care much for toddlers, I say we should have them in the game. Simply because it adds a little realism to the game. Though if we really want realism, why have our sims go through a "life stage" and then magically move on to the next with sparkles and confetti? Instead, why not just have them slowly but surely grow up? Later throughout your time playing the game, you'll see a difference in your sims. Your teen sims will begin to grow facial hair, develop new interests and hobbies, and their appearance changes depending on what they usually do during their life time. Sometimes you can even see your adults sim's hair slowly turning grey and their worry lines beginning to be more visible. Though that would take a huge amount of work and time on the developer's part.

Anyways, is The Sims 4 truly worth buying? I've been contemplating on it for quite a while now. Due to the no open world, no create a style, return of the loading screens, and the town map looking like something you would see off of a Facebook game, the idea sort of pushed me into the no zone. Though I might be wrong. Maybe The Sims 4 is worth it.

Your concerns about TS4 are the same as mine, I wouldn't say it is an awful game as clearly some players enjoy it but the lack of the creative side of things pushes me away the most.

Just because I don't own the game that dosnt mean I am not interested though, I have seen videos and screenshots and read feedback so I am fully awere of what goes on in the community ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    I'm going to continue to complain about this game until it is absolutely perfect to my liking; which as we all know, is never going to happen.

I still don't see the point of your question. Toddlers are not going to stop any complaints or remove culling, incest, semi-open world, crappy CAS (imo)... I don't know why you assumed it would.

Anyway, as I said before, I'm out. For real this time. There is no warrant to this argument that I can see. Toddlers are not the bee all and end all of the sims, and I don't know why you seem to think that toddlers are going to solve all the issues we each have with this game.

So to just answer your question; yes I really do want toddlers but there are other things that also need addressing that toddlers alone will do nothing to fix.

--T
    To7m wrote: »
    I'm going to continue to complain about this game until it is absolutely perfect to my liking; which as we all know, is never going to happen.

I still don't see the point of your question. Toddlers are not going to stop any complaints or remove culling, incest, semi-open world, crappy CAS (imo)... I don't know why you assumed it would.

Anyway, as I said before, I'm out. For real this time. There is no warrant to this argument that I can see. Toddlers are not the bee all and end all of the sims, and I don't know why you seem to think that toddlers are going to solve all the issues we each have with this game.

So to just answer your question; yes I really do want toddlers but there are other things that also need addressing that toddlers alone will do nothing to fix.

--T

That was partially what I meant anyway
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited February 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I no longer care about toddlers, too little too late. However, I will not play a family again in this game ever, until they make the baby (nine months old) Stop turning into a nine year old child. If you played this game you would know how overwhelming that is. And no one even runs over to cheer and use those party whistles etc. There isn't even a birthday where everyone wants to grab the baby and help with birthday like in TS2 or TS3. The baby is just stuck to the crib then blast it way through into a kid I would say looks to be about ten years old. WTH? How is that immersion? What the heck happened to the last ten years but mom and dad aren't any older?

Seriously, it's not only the missing game play it's the fact they think long time players can swallow this lack of attention to detail and be happy with it. It's the fact they 'knew' from their own forums this was a very important life stage to everyone. Yes, some people don't like toddlers (play them) but I bet they don't actually like that jarring BAM 'you are now a ten year old kid' effect, either. As long as they could age up shortly with a cheat or an option to age to birthday.

It's a matter of principle on what was said, what has since been said and what isn't happening. But the number one answer from me is LIFE SIMULTATOR>>>immersion!

Please speak for yourself.

I play this game, I am a long time player and while I do support the addition of toddlers your blanket statement does not apply to me in the slightest. I do not find the transition overwhelming or jarring. In fact I don't have an opinion on the baby to child transition at all because I personally never really enjoyed playing around with either age group.

Do I agree something is missing for the players who did enjoy those life states? Yes. But this doesn't affect everyone and not everyone is going to have the same feelings towards the same parts of the game.
  • PandaORosePandaORose Posts: 549 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    @king_of_simcity7, this whole discussion is moot.

You know why? Because you and players with your mindset who don't necessarily want toddlers in the game and can do quite well without them, are demonstrating to The Powers That Be that toddlers aren't necessary for selling the game. In fact, why bother to go to all the trouble of putting them back in, when they don't have to? Okay, so what if a few people are threatening not to buy any more content, or not to buy the game at all? Big whoop, they still get plenty of simoleans from those players who will buy anything with a Sims label, and those who are perfectly happy that they have the game they want, and to heck with what others want.

Yep, there's plenty of the "I like this game just the way it is and there's nothing wrong with it" crowd running around these forums to keep EA/Maxis/The Sims Studios rolling in the simoleans all right.

Op doesn't even play the game :/

Okay, so what's the actually question here because asking, "Are you guys sure that you really want toddlers?" will just get people in a hissy-fit (as you can already tell). That's not a good question to ask because family players are tired of trying to prove their points and to get other folks to understand their views. It's frustrating!

Are you trying to ask, 'Will toddlers fix the game for players?' or something else along those lines? But even that question has been asked before, and the answer is, no. No, toddlers will not fix the entire game. Many simmers are just addressing the toddler issue first, then will move on to a different issue.

This game needs bug fixes, more freedom, and a lot of tlc from the development team in order for some fans to start liking the game. Adding toddlers would be a sigh of relief, but that would not fix the game.

I want toddlers to return because so many people want them to return to this game; especially, after waiting...2(-ish?) years for those little boogers to return. Some of these family players barely have an ounce of hope and still manage to hold on.

And as for that speculation thread about toddlers returning, take that with a grain of salt until you actually see toddlers in your game. The op of that thread is notorious for getting facts wrong and twisting his statements into supporting his own ideals. And I'm surprised at some folks, who usually post actual facts (and who usually go against that op of that thread), are siding with the original op of that discussion! All of those pictures tell me that babies can be born in TS4, that's it...and am I the only one who thinks that those two pictures look strangely familiar?

Okay, bottom line, people really want toddlers in their game, and some simmers are a unwavering, outspoken bunch (you know that!). No, toddlers are not a quick fix like a cup of joe in the morning. And there's still a lot to be done with this game.
    2750512.gif~c200

• TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    PandaORose wrote: »
    Are you trying to ask, 'Will toddlers fix the game for players?' or something else along those lines? But even that question has been asked before, and the answer is, no. No, toddlers will not fix the entire game. Many simmers are just addressing the toddler issue first, then will move on to a different issue.

This game needs bug fixes, more freedom, and a lot of tlc from the development team in order for some fans to start liking the game. Adding toddlers would be a sigh of relief, but that would not fix the game.

I want toddlers to return because so many people want them to return to this game; especially, after waiting...2(-ish?) years for those little boogers to return. Some of these family players barely have an ounce of hope and still manage to hold on.

This is why, when people say they want toddlers to fix the problems of the game, my first instinct is to tell them to play Sims 3 or Sims 2. To not even waste their time waiting for the game to be fixed for them. Because I know it won't be.

As for waiting: A lot of people are waiting based on a false hope. There is a lot of expectation that toddlers will return because toddlers have been a tradition in the series since Sims 2. But, then, so has a supernatural lifestate being part of every expansion pack. Sims 4 almost appears to be following the traditions of Sims 1, not Sims 2... which means no supernaturals with every expansion and, likely, no toddlers.
    PandaORose wrote: »

This is why, when people say they want toddlers to fix the problems of the game, my first instinct is to tell them to play Sims 3 or Sims 2. To not even waste their time waiting for the game to be fixed for them. Because I know it won't be.

As for waiting: A lot of people are waiting based on a false hope. There is a lot of expectation that toddlers will return because toddlers have been a tradition in the series since Sims 2. But, then, so has a supernatural lifestate being part of every expansion pack. Sims 4 almost appears to be following the traditions of Sims 1, not Sims 2... which means no supernaturals with every expansion and, likely, no toddlers.

Interesting points :smile:

Object babies do seem to be a throw back to TS1. Thanks for the feedback :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (I don't quite follow "goal driven" by the way, are there other goals in 3 than in 2 and 4?; this is not toddler related though, don't want to derail the topic)

Sims 3 had a few EPs that were more exploration and goal oriented than pure sandbox. World Adventures, Island Paradise, and Into the Future are the most obvious ones.
    And Showtime for that matter. Yes, they did implement goals in there, but was that different in Sims 2 and is that different in Sims 4? Isn't every EP filled with ways for your sim to develop? I've played ITF and IP completely sandbox so far by the way. And had a lot of fun with it anyway (bot building and diving mainly).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    (I don't quite follow "goal driven" by the way, are there other goals in 3 than in 2 and 4?; this is not toddler related though, don't want to derail the topic)

Sims 3 had a few EPs that were more exploration and goal oriented than pure sandbox. World Adventures, Island Paradise, and Into the Future are the most obvious ones.
    And Showtime for that matter. Yes, they did implement goals in there, but was that different in Sims 2 and is that different in Sims 4? Isn't every EP filled with ways for your sim to develop? I've played ITF and IP completely sandbox so far by the way. And had a lot of fun with it anyway (bot building and diving mainly).

Sims 2 tended to be a lot less mostly goal-oriented in its EPs. It's not free of them; Bon Voyage was very much goal-oriented. But, it also didn't have them to the same degree. Sims 4 appears to be headed in the same direction.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited February 2016
    I can comment on the goals in World Adventures.

The goals of that expansion were ones that actually required some kind of effort. One, for example, would be retrieving something from a tomb. This meant you had to actually work your way to it. "Go get this" doesn't sound so simple when you have to lug statues around, find keys for locked doors, and dive through wells to get it.

By contrast, Sims 4's goals are very simple. The most effort that's required is choosing multiple interactions with a person. Where's the challenge in that?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • nenaketnenaket Posts: 3 New Member
    Yes, I want toddlers so bad I've completely stopped playing sims 4 and switched back to sims 2 so I can have toddlers and do family play like I always wanted to
  • Dangel911Dangel911 Posts: 3 New Member
    Yes, without toddlers the whole family game play is thrown off. I mean for me personally there are only so many times you can make your sims party or socialize without it getting boring. For the past 15 years I've played the game mainly two ways 1) family/legacy/soapy drama and 2) magically. Without toddlers you lose a huge chunk of the family play. Even cartoons have to be realistic to a certain point, I mean why make the babies go from 9 months to 9 years? It doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I even really play the Sims 4 is because I like the graphics and I dont have to install any CC to make the sims look interesting and its smoother on my computer. Having your sims teach toddlers to walk and talk was an important part of family play. I rather have my Sim give birth to a toddler and have that age up to a kid instead of a baby to a kid.

The goals of that expansion were ones that actually required some kind of effort. One, for example, would be retrieving something from a tomb. This meant you had to actually work your way to it. "Go get this" doesn't sound so simple when you have to lug statues around, find keys for locked doors, and dive through wells to get it.

By contrast, Sims 4's goals are very simple. The most effort that's required is choosing multiple interactions with a person. Where's the challenge in that?

Most Sims games have had some mild goal driven play before. Even TS1's Superstar had things you where required to do before you advanced
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Dangel911Dangel911 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @TanyaRubirose said:
    > PandaORose wrote: »
    >
    > Are you trying to ask, 'Will toddlers fix the game for players?' or something else along those lines? But even that question has been asked before, and the answer is, no. No, toddlers will not fix the entire game. Many simmers are just addressing the toddler issue first, then will move on to a different issue.
    >
    > This game needs bug fixes, more freedom, and a lot of tlc from the development team in order for some fans to start liking the game. Adding toddlers would be a sigh of relief, but that would not fix the game.
    >
    > I want toddlers to return because so many people want them to return to this game; especially, after waiting...2(-ish?) years for those little boogers to return. Some of these family players barely have an ounce of hope and still manage to hold on.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is why, when people say they want toddlers to fix the problems of the game, my first instinct is to tell them to play Sims 3 or Sims 2. To not even waste their time waiting for the game to be fixed for them. Because I know it won't be.
    >
    > As for waiting: A lot of people are waiting based on a false hope. There is a lot of expectation that toddlers will return because toddlers have been a tradition in the series since Sims 2. But, then, so has a supernatural lifestate being part of every expansion pack. Sims 4 almost appears to be following the traditions of Sims 1, not Sims 2... which means no supernaturals with every expansion and, likely, no toddlers.

But here is what I don't get....in the original interview about the Sims 4, they said ALL life stages would be included, forget about wanting them or not, didn't they promise it?
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member

Most Sims games have had some mild goal driven play before. Even TS1's Superstar had things you where required to do before you advanced
    I remember, but the point I'm trying to make is those goals were challenging in some respect. There was some difficulty in achieving them.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif

I remember, but the point I'm trying to make is those goals were challenging in some respect. There was some difficulty in achieving them.

Even the original career tracks had some requirements other than just skills to advance such as friendships with other Sims. It is said that Will Wright stated that he wanted to encourage players to engage in social interaction between other Sims :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Toddlers wouldn't fix all the problems with the game, but it would help alleviate some stress that players are feeling. They would have to be done well, otherwise, toddlers being added in would be ignored and a lot of threads will pop up explaining why they aren't as good as toddlers in previous games. Toddlers won't be the cure-all miracle pill, but they can act as painkillers.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    I mean, what can you do with toddlers other than teach to walk, talk, potty train and ready books. Ok, they might play with toys, they might be able to play with other toddler and they will make cute pictures but what else?

See, this is the problem right here. People THINK that toddlers don't have much to do because of the past games and they found them so boring. THE PROBLEM is that EA doesn't give them much to do.. only until they add expansion packs. I guess it's because Toddlers "normal" lifespan would be about 5 Sim Days, so they don't have "much time" to do things. But as a family player, I play on the longest span I can with Adjustments. I keep infants at 3 days, toddlers at about 10-15 days because I need time to teach them to walk, talk, potty-train, and for them to skill build with the skills they CAN learn.

They need to add a slider to the age system and allow us to set specific 'days' for each life-stage again like in Sims 3.

Now see, if EA would actually patch them, give them a game pack and a stuff pack, and you know .. Generations Expansion pack.. toddlers would have a lot more things to do. *Should* have a lot more to do.

Don't be silly! Of course, Toddlers can't do anything like you mentioned.. can toddlers get married in real life? Lol, no of course not. I think you're just being a bit ridiculous, so I'm not going to take this thread seriously.

However, I will tell you this. Toddlers do add game-play to Mine or any other family-player's game out there. So, it's going to ADD a lot of stuff for us when we do get toddlers. Teaching them to walk, talk, potty train, skills, peek-a-boo-, story time, feeding them in a high-chair, putting them in a rocking swing, (We need one of those for infants........ sadly.. they're tied to a bassient... EA, please. x_x)... Teaching them nursery rhyme's, being able to play with other toddlers, color, play with blocks, have a favorite toy, stuffed animal, favorite Cartoon Show, favorite family pet, being able to take away toys, bottles, etc from other toddlers. Fighting over toys, etc..

There is lots of things that toddlers can do. The Sims Free Play Is PROOF of that (I know it's from a different developer, but toddlers can have lots of stuff to do on a MOBILE game... PC is so much more expandable, so why not.). EA just needs to take lessons and actually provide us PC Simmers with similar options to allow toddlers a bit more 'freedom'/game-play.

I think it's naive to think that toddlers are limited. Toddlers could have so much potential and things to do, IF Ea would just do it. :) I have faith in Maxis. So, we'll see.

If toddlers don't return, which is a silly choice.... they could make so much money, if they released toddlers in a patch and then brought out a Stuff Pack and a Game Pack with clothing, toys, skills, interacting objects, hairstyles, accessories, etc for them and released a Generations Pack. Then I don't know.. it's going to hurt my play-style... A LOT.

I enjoy creating BIG families... and would love to see a brand new life-stage of Preteens since they've never been released in the Franchise before; and with toddlers and preteens, it would allow my family play-style to expand and would definitely help me enjoy families a whole lot more.

Toddlers? With POTENTIAL? I'm sorry, but I just wholeheartedly disagree with almost this whole post.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member
    edited February 2016
    I give OP at least 2 months before the SAME thread asking the SAME question, not understanding the SAME things they are not understanding in this opening post is made.

...and that they still won't have played the game by then.

You've had it explained to you in your own thread and in others, we see through you ;)
    Post edited by PrincessSaturn on
    edited February 2016
    Dangel911 wrote: »
    > @TanyaRubirose said:
    > PandaORose wrote: »
    >
    > Are you trying to ask, 'Will toddlers fix the game for players?' or something else along those lines? But even that question has been asked before, and the answer is, no. No, toddlers will not fix the entire game. Many simmers are just addressing the toddler issue first, then will move on to a different issue.
    >
    > This game needs bug fixes, more freedom, and a lot of tlc from the development team in order for some fans to start liking the game. Adding toddlers would be a sigh of relief, but that would not fix the game.
    >
    > I want toddlers to return because so many people want them to return to this game; especially, after waiting...2(-ish?) years for those little boogers to return. Some of these family players barely have an ounce of hope and still manage to hold on.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is why, when people say they want toddlers to fix the problems of the game, my first instinct is to tell them to play Sims 3 or Sims 2. To not even waste their time waiting for the game to be fixed for them. Because I know it won't be.
    >
    > As for waiting: A lot of people are waiting based on a false hope. There is a lot of expectation that toddlers will return because toddlers have been a tradition in the series since Sims 2. But, then, so has a supernatural lifestate being part of every expansion pack. Sims 4 almost appears to be following the traditions of Sims 1, not Sims 2... which means no supernaturals with every expansion and, likely, no toddlers.

But here is what I don't get....in the original interview about the Sims 4, they said ALL life stages would be included, forget about wanting them or not, didn't they promise it?

Short answer, no. It was a pre-alpha interview. Everything mentioned in the game at that point can be subject to change.

Note: Your mileage may vary. I've no wish to debate it.

• twinsister27twinsister27 Posts: 530 Member
    I am a family player and I want toddlers because I use them so often! I like seeing how genetics turn out with hair especially, I made a family in TS3 yesterday and gave the dad red hair and the mom hair that was brown at the roots but very blonde otherwise (in CAS) and they had 3 kids in game. The first, older son, ended up with red hair that was short as a kid, and as he became a Teen it got a little longer (it goes up) and I don't change the hair until they are Young Adults because I like seeing where the genetics lead. Then when the first son was about to age to Child, he got twin siblings-1 boy 1 girl-and when they aged up they got their mom's hair-both of them! They were so cute~ The boy's was/is short but the girl got that cute girl hairstyle with the headband for Toddler girls and when she became a Child she got long straight hair. They're Children now. It interests me because I just won't know if they got mom or dad's genes until they age up. Yes, this is the same with TS4, but it's different. In TS3, Toddler girls have the hair with a headband, and other things, but they have a kinda curly/wavy long hair. If a Toddler had the shorter hair as a Toddler and straight hair as a kid it can be told as: When she was a Toddler her mom played with her hair and it was short but when she became a Child she decided she wanted straight long hair instead.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    WA IMHO was an EP that I could use as an adventure or a vacation point and I had fun with it. In Sims 4 yeah you got Retreat but it is dry as toast and very little fun. I got so bored with it I cancelled my Sims vacation and sent them home. Sims 4 has some hits and it has some misses but it will never give me the level of fun that was had with Sims 1 thru 3. Can Sims 4 improve, I say yes but it needs more features that add to the game and not items. SIms 4 has bugs just like the previous editions. Sure it can run but that is not enough and emotions is not doing it for me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen