Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cerrydd's buildings - Sulrise & Hungry Hungry Hipsters

Comments

• Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Aïcha is very gorgeously beautiful Arabian house! :smiley:
    Your architectural details are very amazing! I especially like your dome roofing and your MOO'd curtain balcony thing at the back. Your landscaping is very adorable too! I like your garden area at the front and at the back. I also like your pool area. Great use off MOO'd jets to form a waterfall. And your interior, beautiful indeed!
    I love it! I already added this to my faves and this lot is going straight to nomination for Maxis' fave. :smiley:
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    masajomasajo Posts: 6,011 Member
    Wow, Aicha is such a magnificent build, awesome design. The interiors are very beautiful and I love all the outdoors, especially the pool with the fountains :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Love Aïcha, Cerry! Great architecture, interior design, and so cool the way you combined the curtains and friezes. And of course I'm a fan of the water feature. :)
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    RyeCris16 wrote: »
    Aïcha is very gorgeously beautiful Arabian house! :smiley:
    Your architectural details are very amazing! I especially like your dome roofing and your MOO'd curtain balcony thing at the back. Your landscaping is very adorable too! I like your garden area at the front and at the back. I also like your pool area. Great use off MOO'd jets to form a waterfall. And your interior, beautiful indeed!
    I love it! I already added this to my faves and this lot is going straight to nomination for Maxis' fave. :smiley:

Thank you very much Rye! Very happy you like it, much appreciated :#
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Love Aïcha, Cerry! Great architecture, interior design, and so cool the way you combined the curtains and friezes. And of course I'm a fan of the water feature. :)

Thanks! Yeah, those friezes, arches and curtains all fit perfectly! Happy you like the tiny waterfall, I obviously took inspiration from your build :#

Cath, Rose, Kamelia and Masajo, thank you all for the lovely comments :smiley: I've been busy with a bunch of other stuff, hopefully I'll get some decent building time in soon!
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Options
    Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    I thought I commented here on ZigZag house but maybe I just favorited it in the gallery when I saw it! I thought it was creative, original, and awesome. Great use of highlights and contrast!
    5sXtTqH.png
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    Love, love, love your mediterrenean home! Gorgeous architecture! Makes me think of my holidays in Spain! Will be adding to my favourites when I open the game. :)
  • Options
    I really really wanted to finish something before GTW hits. I've had this library in my library (lol) for a while now. I went back to see when I started the first draft, and it was dated February 14th :p But it's finished now!

tumblr_nm0uyg963Y1s873l7o2_1280.jpg

I had some fun with overlapping windows. I initially wanted to use windows like this for a home, but it gave me something of a 'office building feel', and I've wanted to do a library for a while. I actually got pretty far when I started this thing, but I got stuck on what to do with the landscaping. I've tried to keep it simple and fairly clean, plenty of space to enjoy the sunshine with a book outside. The library has two entrances and I rotated the building multiple times to see what I wanted the front to be.

tumblr_nm0uyg963Y1s873l7o3_1280.jpg

The rooms all ended up quite small. I hope the large windows makes it look bigger and not too cramped :p There are two rooms dedicated to books, they contain the original library bookshelves so skillbooks are available! There's one room with 5 computers in it, the desks are separated with walls so you don't have to worry about your neighbour seeing what you're doing. There's a chess/painting room on the second floor. The top level has a small 'cafe', there's a teamaker and a coffee machine, in case you need to refuel after a hard day of studying. Kids were a bit of an afterthought... so I just plopped down some kid stuff in the hallway for younger visitors. Sorry kids! :p

tumblr_nm0uyg963Y1s873l7o1_1280.jpg

This library carries the uninspiring name Brick Books and is built on a 30x20 lot. I used the lounge lot in Oasis Springs for this and it gives some really nice views from the windows :) and it definitely fits Oasis Springs!

Gallery link: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/DBA5787ED6CC11E4815BD7D937959958

I'm not completely content with it, but it'll have to do. I've kind of reached the point where it takes so long to be happy with what I build. If only I had a tiny bit of that perfectionism back in school, I'd have a well-paying job right now :p

Thank you Yanti and Ash for your lovely comments on previous builds! Much appreciated as always :#
  • Options
    VihishaVihisha Posts: 2,767 Member
    Such a nice downtown library =) I absolutely LOVE all the windows u used in this build.....so cool!
    rXyqmuX.jpg
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Brick Books is a very nice library! :) Very nice exterior design of the building! It looks very nice the types of windows that you have used, and the way that you have overlapped them looks very great! It looks a very nice light filled place for sims to enjoy coming to and reading books or studying, enjoying the sunshine coming in through the windows as well enjoying looking out at the outddors views. The brickwork exterior texture looks nice. The front patio is very nice! It looks very nice how you have placed the seat benches there, with plants in between them. Sims will enjoy sitting resting there in the sunshine having a read. It looks very nice how you have placed the rocks around the edges of the trees area. The threes plsced into the gardening boxes leading up to the front door looks effective and great! Very nice back area of the build! The water fountain feature there looks so very nice! It looks very nice how you have placed the rocks around the trees and the seat benches on the edges. Very nice layout and furnishing of the levels of the library! It is nice that you have placed the seats through the build next to windows so sims can enjoy the sunlight coming in onto them. It is great that sims can enjoy painting on an easel at the librsery and at the same time look out at the views through the windows. They will have fun playing chess at the chess table. It looks nice how you have placed walls to separate off the computer study nooks from one another. The colourful round floor rugs in the kids area looks very nice!
    It is a very nice library :)
  • Options
    TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    WOW! What a great idea overlapping the windows! I like a lot the facade. :)
  • Options
    Just checked out Brick Books in game, and you did a really marvelous job with it! It has that modern city vibe that I really like, and all of the floor to ceiling windows give it a great open, airy feeling! How did you manage to get those windows to overlap without blocking each other? I mean, I saw a little Z-fighting, but in the past, there's usually a window or two that winds up looking odd when they're overlapped. Maybe it was improved in the patch? Anyway, it turned out perfectly for your build! I also like what you did with the landscaping and overall balance to all of the spaces.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Brick Books is very amazing with an awesome name! :smiley:
    I like your architecture, your use of bricks are very cool! Very nice color scheme BTW! I also like your exterior details and the water feature. Very nice bench placements around! And your interior, awesome! I especially like your toy area and your chess area.
    I love it! I already added this to my faves! :smiley:
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    Fabulous library, great choice and placement of windows which give the building a very superior look :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • Options
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Just checked out Brick Books in game, and you did a really marvelous job with it! It has that modern city vibe that I really like, and all of the floor to ceiling windows give it a great open, airy feeling! How did you manage to get those windows to overlap without blocking each other? I mean, I saw a little Z-fighting, but in the past, there's usually a window or two that winds up looking odd when they're overlapped. Maybe it was improved in the patch? Anyway, it turned out perfectly for your build! I also like what you did with the landscaping and overall balance to all of the spaces.

@BryonyRae Thank you! Thankfully, the patch didn't mess up this WIP as opposed to the stairs-facade house, the windows already worked before the patch dropped. Placing two windows (or doors) in the same spot on the same level won't work, because one of them will act funky. In Brick Books, the first and second floors use short walls, the third floor tall walls. What I did was use different sized windows on all floors. I find it hard to put it into words, so here are some shots to illustrate it.

tumblr_nm4fvucmke1s873l7o1_1280.png

Placing a taller window on a short wall will expose the level as usual, and the part extending to the level above it will remain a wall with a tiny frame. Adding a window on the second floor will 'open up' that part.

tumblr_nm4fvucmke1s873l7o2_1280.png

(bottom left window would have to be height-adjusted to get rid of that visible piece of wall)

As long as the game 'recognizes' the second window to be on a different floor, you won't run into the usual window overlapping problem that looks like this:

tumblr_nm4fvucmke1s873l7o4_1280.png

It's just a matter of moving the mouse slightly up or down.

You can use this with every type of window, though some look better than others:

tumblr_nm4fvucmke1s873l7o7_1280.png

And that's how it's done! :# You do indeed get some z-fighting issues, but it's not too distracting.

Thank you Vishisha, Rose, Tutano, Rye and Masajo! I'm very happy you like it :smiley:
  • Options
    Ah, I see. Very clever of you! And it certainly turned out looking great!
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Your community lot buildings are so very cool! <3B)<3
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Thank you, Marcel! :)

I made some huge progress on my hospital shell, but the surgery tables didn't work so I'll have to wait until I can finish it. I'm working hard to finish my photo/art gallery. I'm running into all kinds of glitches and issues all the time! My Simselves (two of them, one taking pictures and the other making paintings :p) have been working overtime to hang all their work in the gallery.

tumblr_nm4fvucmke1s873l7o6_r1_1280.jpg

Hopefully the shop will open soon ;)
  • Options
    I'm working on my art gallery too! I guess I was fortunate in that I had one group of sims set up as painters, and I've got a different household for photography, so I didn't run into your paint by reference bug. However, I am terribly disappointed in the quality of the large landscape photos - hope they fix that quickly! I'm going to be hanging some photos in my gallery because it also includes a photography studio, but I don't know about using a ton of photos in builds going forward. They aren't going to transfer for people who don't have GTW, so I think that if I'm doing a build that doesn't really require GTW, I'll stick to paintings and use the paint by reference for my custom shots. In retrospect, I wish they had just included photography in the patch instead of it being expansion specific. I can't remember, but I don't think it was expansion specific in TS3, was it? Anyway, can't wait to see how your gallery turns out! :D
  • Options
    @BryonyRae Oh yes, I really wish the large landscape pics looked better! I'm not using them, my gallery only has large portraits and medium landscapes. I also wish we could make large landscape paintings from reference... and square pictures... and use pictures as reference for paintings... etc etc etc :D I wish pictures would transfer for GTW-less simmers though. My gallery is very picture heavy. I wanted it to be a photostudio, but pictures aren't very profitable so I added cameras, paintings and easels in the mix. I'm not very fond of the paintstyle used for the reference paintings, I'd like to see more variation.

I've ran into another issue. I saved my lot and placed it a couple of times to see if everything places right, but paintings (painted from reference) and pictures sometimes arbitrarily change their images. Have you encountered this too? I placed your test lot again to see what would happen, and this was the result:

tumblr_nm4fvucmke1s873l7o5_r1_1280.png

None of them look like your paintings. The left two are paintings I made when we were testing this, and I'm 99.9% sure I never made the painting on the right. Is it yours?

I thought that maybe naming each painting would make them unique and there wouldn't be a mix-up, but it's very shaky.

Pictures (when named) seem to be a bit more stable, though I did run into this fella in my art gallery:

tumblr_nm4fvucmke1s873l7o8_r1_500.jpg

Not sure how one of the pics from your test lot ended up here, but it did. I wonder if more people have had this happen, or maybe my game is borked. Clearing my cache doesn't always guarantee the right placement of paintings. I love the addition of pics and paintings, but it would be nice if everything worked as it should :D
  • Options
    I will look forward to seeing your finished photo/art gallery! :) I am sorry that you have been having some issues and glitches with it. I hope that your continued work on it goes well.
  • Options
    Oh, boy...nope, none of those are my paintings! Looks like more testing is in order with the test lots, as something must be bugged. :/ Ah, there's my Kid Carnage, not his best shot either. Sorry if he's popping in where he wasn't wanted. :p Yep, painting and photography needs some major QA.
  • Options
    This time, it's personal! :p As a n00b photographer, I thought it'd be fun to create a studio for my Simself. I already started building before GTW came out, so I just had to finish it up and hang my Simself's work in it.

tumblr_nmjy6lYKp81s873l7o7_1280.jpg

I wanted to go for a modern and light look, with plenty of white and some green. I'm in love with the chrome wallpanels GTW added, they're pretty versatile and I can foresee other builders doing cool stuff with it! :) The exterior is simple and straight-forward, though it looks a bit out of place in Magnolia Promenade.

tumblr_nmjy6lYKp81s873l7o8_1280.jpg

Since this studio is ALL MINE, I obviously had to go for the combination of green and pink :p The interior is very bright. There's a couch near the entrance, it was used quite a bit by customers and employees while I was playtesting this. The other side of the hallway has a glass display with expensive cameras in it. The more affordable cameras are laid out on the other displays. There are only 3 displays in the entire building, so you won't spend a lot of time cleaning ;) The cameras, easels and paintings are set for sale. Photographs are worthless so they're only there for show.

tumblr_nmjy6lYKp81s873l7o6_1280.jpg

The basement has a photostudio, in case you want to use that. There's also an extra room that serves as a makeshift studio for fun. There's also a bathroom to ensure customers won't wet themselves while browsing your products.
    The living area is upstairs. It very simple and can house a single sim or a couple. Since we still don't have locks, I recommend placing the stairs outside when opening the shop, so the customers won't raid your fridge or play games on your pc. Nothing like wanting to eat your leftovers after a hard day of work, only to find the fridge empty :p

tumblr_nmjy6lYKp81s873l7o2_1280.jpg

Cerry's Gallery (original name huh XD) uses a 20x20 lot and costs $103,676 according to the gallery. The price isn't right though, looks like it doesn't take into account the worth of paintings and pictures, which puts it at around $150,000 in total. Gallery link: http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/2A905DBCDEE611E481DB654EFC5E11D7

Now, as for the stuff in this gallery. My idea was to put portraits of the sims I've made in there, with a few general landscapes and nods to my other builds. I was very disappointed in the photostudio provided by the game, you can't choose the sim's pose, can't zoom in enough, zoom out far enough and the softboxes of the studio mess up the shot, etc etc etc. so I had to improvise a bit. I always loved the expressions on sims' faces in this game, so I decided to focus on that. I saved myself some trouble by photographing all sims in a white room, it makes it easier to make sets of pictures, it's a lot harder when everyone uses a different background. The photographs are a bit similar, but I swear they're all unique :p The paintings are bit more varied, a few landscapes from Willow Creek, Oasis Springs and Granite Falls. I also had a bit of fun with creating my own abstract paintings. In total, there are ~37 paintings and 86 pictures in there. I took screenshots of them for posterity, just in case the game messes up and mixes up images, it's something I ran into while testing this (though the last 3 times I placed this lot, everything placed well).

tumblr_nmjy6lYKp81s873l7o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nmjy6lYKp81s873l7o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nmjy6lYKp81s873l7o4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nmjy6lYKp81s873l7o5_1280.jpg

I really like how those abstract paintings made out of multiple small paintings turned out! I had a lot of fun doing that :)

Anyway, that's it, I hope you like it! :smiley:
  • Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    I really love your art gallery! It looks very stylish and modern. I appreciate all the time it took to set up all those lovely photos :smiley:
  • Options
    Cerry's Gallery is very nice! :) It is very special and nice how it contains pictures and paintings that your sims took and painted, and that the pictures are of your own sims. It will be a very nice art gallery and store to have in the game. Very nice exterior of the building! The roofing is so very nice! The green and white colours of both the exteroor and interior of the building looks very nice. The chequered green and white tiling around the edges of the building looks very nice! It looks very nice how you have placed large photos of your sims on the exterior walls of the building! It looks great how you have used the pillars in the build! The ledges look great on the side walls of the building! Nice upper balcony for sims to enjoy sitting on the seats there looking out at the views. It looks very nice how you have placed the large pots along the edges of the lot. They look very nice with the colour scheme of the build. The trees look great placed in the gardening boxes! The dormer looks very nice with the sign on it! The layout of the interior of the gallery and the way you have placed the photos and paintings on the walls looks so very nice! It is great that you are selling easels and cameras at the gallery. The pink colour through the gallery ,complements with the green and white colours very well. It is nice that you have a pink sofa near the front door for sims to sit and rest on. The white curved cash register counter is very nice! It looks very nice how you have placed red watering cans with flowers in them on either end of the counter. It is nice that you have a living area where the owners of the store can stay. The basement level photo studio is great!
    The Gallery is very nice, and contains a part of you and your sims, which makes it very special for simmers to have in their games :)
  • Options
    Your Gallery is very beautiful, the interiors are so light, clean and fresh looking, a wonderful colour combination :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg