Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

Comments

• Options
    athyrmoseathyrmose Posts: 223 Member
    @Alnairan Thanks. I'm not thrilled with their responsiveness, but yes, I see moderation happening.
  • Options
    LegendaryLegendary Posts: 390 Member
    athyrmose wrote: »
    @Alnairan Thanks. I'm not thrilled with their responsiveness, but yes, I see moderation happening.

The troll still isn't banned. Everything else is automated. How is that moderating?
    I'm just here to see how the fandom reacts to the game coming out.
  • Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    Nah, I think the problem is that we need quick responding helpful people who will get rid of the new people ckming on and posting innaproate content, spam and having rude images as their avatars.

Although I doubt that will happen. There are many simmers out there who are brand new to the forums and want to be welcomed. How do you become a member?? Because these simmers will want to introduce themselves and have a nice avi and whatnot

I do agree though, we need to get rid of the random spammers and innapropriate content. We never really had it quite as bad on the old forums because people had to make an effort to get an account, they had to get the game and register it and then download a program to put horrid images up. Which nobody could be bothered to do unless they actually wanted to participate and actually have some nice avis
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    I am going to go out on a limb and say this particular troll isn't new at all and has a main account in all of this. Somethings he/she has posted are starting to add up.

hmm..I think quite a few of us do :)
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    nekobear wrote: »
    I am going to go out on a limb and say this particular troll isn't new at all and has a main account in all of this. Somethings he/she has posted are starting to add up.

Its adding up way to fast, the problem is I am not sure how the mods have not picked up on it themselves.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    Alnairan wrote: »
    athyrmose wrote: »
    Consider letting the moderators moderate, and not feeding trolls the negative reinforcement they're so desperate for.

I agree with everything else you said, but...
    Does it looks like the moderators are moderating, for you?

Actually, they are. If they weren't, there'd still be almost a week's worth of furry 🐸🐸🐸🐸 crapping up the forums, and threads like this would be buried in it.

Remember the rule of thumb for the Internet, kids:

ModsAsleepPostPonies_zps601402c6.png

@athyrmose has five years on me, but I've been around the block a time or two with this game, as well - including as the troll. Continuing to discuss what to do about the troll, putting more and more restrictions on newbies because of the troll, "calling out" the troll, chastising the troll, and responding in any way to the troll is only serving to feed him.

You've got kids at home who go on the forums? Great, so do I. That's why you pre-screen sites for kids to participate in, and sit with them while they're at the computer. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 troll pops up out of nowhere? Tell your kid straight up - "There's someone posting inappropriate content here, so you need to wait until it's cleared up before you come back on this site." If your kid is too old for that - hate to tell you, but they've seen 🐸🐸🐸🐸 already, and some of them are probably drawing/writing it. I had the privilege of banning an 11 year old for posting 🐸🐸🐸🐸 fic to a fanfiction archive one summer.

This could have been solved days ago if everyone who encountered the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 had just went, "Okay. :|", flagged the post for a moderator to look at, and scrolled on without further comment or reaction. Now it's going to take the moderators forever to get rid of him/them, because it's all but guaranteed the number of posts complaining about it are going to continually spawn new rounds of newbies over-reacting to the trolling.
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member
    well that answers one question....ive been off playing the sims 2 for most of the day so i didnt see most of this i was curious since this is the second thread ive seen about new spam and when i saw chikiames i wanted to see how a spammers account looks well my jaw dropped at 1.4K abuse so i looked at his points just curious....guess the flags do have a negative impact he has -1,658 points.....

I do think its kinda funny people were torn by the sudden restrictions on new members this morning then i come back to find this thread calling for it to be harsher. And for those who feel its not fair to the actual new members what ever restriction they put in place are for legal and child safety. They can get in some big doodoo if they dont take measures to stop adult content and it seems this forum has the ability to do that..

what i think they need since someone can get negative points they need some kind of lock so the account can no longer do things at all....It is very sad that these people do this but well its been apart of the forums for so long i almost dont notice anymore.
  • Options
    ladybastillaladybastilla Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2014
    I agree with #SimsIslandheart 100%. As Freya's quote went in FF9: "To be forgotten is worse then death." So long as we're having more talk about the troll, doing things about the troll, and *changing* things *because* of the troll, it will be good business for the troll to stay. Get across the bridge, guys. Standing there isn't helping anyone. :)
  • Options
    BlazerineBlazerine Posts: 2,544 Member
    Or the mods can just do their jobs. Don't punish good new members.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    I think we need more moderators on the forums spread out during the day that can actually get rid of the threads so they don't spiral out of control.
  • Options
    BreeSasha wrote: »
    I think we need more moderators on the forums spread out during the day that can actually get rid of the threads so they don't spiral out of control.

to bad i dont think they will allow long time members to be mods I would gladly mod if they did Im a stay at home wife who spends a good deal of time online anyway.
  • Options
    either that or be able to lock out a member (not necessarily delete an account leave that to EA) and delete individual posts not just hide them
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Umm really you do realize that technically most of the people on the forums aren't new. They just don't post much so how is that fair to restrict them?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Umm really you do realize that technically most of the people on the forums aren't new. They just don't post much so how is that fair to restrict them?

Well 2 of the proposals in this thread wont hurt them

1 only default or preset pictures
    2 limited number of posts

if its an old member who doesnt post often then the limited posts isnt going to hurt much unless they get chatty and eventually they would get enough likes/agrees/lols to make full member
  • Options
    robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    Repo wrote: »
    I think membership here should have two groups. First, those who register a Sims 3 or 4 base game should be allowed to have a custom avatar and be able to post pictures. All others may have an account, but may not have a custom avatar nor may they post pictures. Anyone who registers a game and abuses the avatar and picture posting privilege should have their base game code banned for membership use. At least it would cut down on the number of times a person could abuse the avatar and picture privileges and would still allow membership without game ownership. Of course, this Idea may be difficult or time consuming to do.
    Wait base game? Well poop i used my base game serial code for a another account that i don't use anymore
  • Options
    ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2014
    Hate to say it maybe default avis need to be brought back. One degenerate ruins it for all.
  • Options
    peoinee wrote: »

if its an old member who doesnt post often then the limited posts isnt going to hurt much unless they get chatty and eventually they would get enough likes/agrees/lols to make full member
    You have no say in what they do so your suggestion are just your opinion. You don't run the forum. That is seriously not right either you are discriminating them for being an old member and not posting.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    well if people are worried about flag abuse.... this guys has a bazillion... he's still around
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options

You have no say in what they do so your suggestion are just your opinion. You don't run the forum. That is seriously not right either you are discriminating them for being an old member and not posting.

DO NOT attack me...Opinions and suggestions for an issue that is ongoing and extremely disruptive are not discriminating it is not directed solely at one type of person it is directed at a starter rank in a forum...an equalizer to let the new members interact and severely limit the abilities for a troll....

• Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    Agreed. It's not fair for those new members who follow the rules and that one person has to ruin it for everyone :'( but it seems like it would help
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Wh

DO NOT attack me...Opinions and suggestions for an issue that is ongoing and extremely disruptive are not discriminating it is not directed solely at one type of person it is directed at a starter rank in a forum...an equalizer to let the new members interact and severely limit the abilities for a troll....
    Where did I attack you for posting your opinion? If you can't read where is that my fault. I never attacked you for your own opinions. Trolls will be trolls flag them and move on don't punish others for what trolls do. That is discrimination to the others who don't troll.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    This wouldn't solve anything , they would just go into existing threads to do what they do . It would also prevent legit people from asking questions who dont post a lot and wouldn't have member status .
  • Options
    SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    Why not? Is this becoming a competition - or is this our forum? By "our" I mean everyone who plays the Sims.... If it is becoming a competition then I won't be hanging around much - I believe in fairness....
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    nekobear wrote: »

Its adding up way to fast, the problem is I am not sure how the mods have not picked up on it themselves.

it's the weekend...nobody in the office XD lol
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    jadealixjadealix Posts: 788 Member
    New members starting now right? :neutral_face:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top