Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

Comments

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited August 2014
    Wow ok I state my opinion and I get flagged thanks. I take I am the better person because I don't flag people for expressing opinions.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Most of these suggestions aren't unreasonable, but they are really tools to try to make up for the lack of real, live people. What really need is responsive moderators.
  • Options
    exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    Hm. I think no discussions, whilst it would work, might be a little awkward especially if a rare poster likes to ask for lots of technical help :o
    Unless there were stickies around or FAQs to help.
    They could be read only. So they can still search for help. Don't forget there's EA / Origin Help, google, yahoo answers, ask.com etc etc
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    Wow ok I state my opinion and I get flagged thanks. I take I am the better person because I don't flag people for expressing opinions.

I can't say for sure, but it might be because you were a bit aggressive towards peoinee while stating your opinion.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    :'(

Hate to say it but I have to agree with the suggestion of EA made avi's or avi's tied specifically to sims that we've uploaded.

Also not liking the new limit on flagging.

Peace,GranMama Dragon
    My S3 Studio > http://tinyurl.com/7pjx25u
    lxxu3g4
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    Alnairan wrote: »

I can't say for sure, but it might be because you were a bit aggressive towards peoinee while stating your opinion.
    Oh and they weren't to me. They can't read isn't abuse sorry.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    KatzMeowzKatzMeowz Posts: 894 Member
    athyrmose wrote: »
    Folks. I'm getting a wee bit aggrivated with some of the 'new member' backlash/would-be mod decisioning I'm seeing on these forums today.<br />
    <br />
    I've been a Simmer since SimCity.<br />
    I registered on these forums in 2009.<br />
    I'm THIRTY-NINE.<br />
    <br />
    I post in spurts, as it suits me. I cannot imagine posting to farm likes for access to the same level of inclusion I enjoyed before the forum upgrade. Please stop deciding that you have the right to determine whether or not I get to have an avatar, start a topic, or use these boards as a resource for my games.<br />
    <br />
    Is it annoying that some attention-seeking minor with no adult supervision is able to post silliness for hours on end? Yes. But please stop deciding that your likes/agrees entitle you to group decision-making for others. Good gods.<br />
    <br />
    Consider letting the moderators moderate, and not feeding trolls the negative reinforcement they're so desperate for.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks.

Well, one solution would be to take into account the registration date when considering who's a new member. People who've been registered since '09 are not likely to suddenly start posting naughty pics. Not that it can't happen, but it's unlikely. The point is to stop people from creating accounts just to troll.
  • Options
    BabiskoBabisko Posts: 1,290 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    Yes. And perhaps limit number of posts per day as well.

If they're going to make it so easy to get an account, they should put a few more checks in place.

I'd prefer it if there was a time limit for multiple posts. I know a few sites that will let you post either a number of posts before cutting you off for a few minutes, or only one post, then time limit for a set amount of time (though it's usually short, as in, a number of seconds)
    We are now the knights who say Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Zoooooooom Boing Ni!
  • Options
    katelynnmcdanielkatelynnmcdaniel Posts: 304 Member
    They should just make people with really good reputations on here mods so the forum would be less likely to spiral out of control.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member

Apparently this issue has become a common one. People getting flagged for no reason, for example flagged for spam when not spamming.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    This other idea would require more moderators but on this forum im on people have to sign up for a full membership and have to have a certain amount of time they have been on here I believe it was two weeks plus a certain number of posts to be eligible to sign up. They should also make it against the rules to have multiple accounts.
  • Options
    BabiskoBabisko Posts: 1,290 Member
    KatzMeowz wrote: »
    athyrmose wrote: »
    Folks. I'm getting a wee bit aggrivated with some of the 'new member' backlash/would-be mod decisioning I'm seeing on these forums today.<br />
    <br />
    I've been a Simmer since SimCity.<br />
    I registered on these forums in 2009.<br />
    I'm THIRTY-NINE.<br />
    <br />
    I post in spurts, as it suits me. I cannot imagine posting to farm likes for access to the same level of inclusion I enjoyed before the forum upgrade. Please stop deciding that you have the right to determine whether or not I get to have an avatar, start a topic, or use these boards as a resource for my games.<br />
    <br />
    Is it annoying that some attention-seeking minor with no adult supervision is able to post silliness for hours on end? Yes. But please stop deciding that your likes/agrees entitle you to group decision-making for others. Good gods.<br />
    <br />
    Consider letting the moderators moderate, and not feeding trolls the negative reinforcement they're so desperate for.<br />
    <br />
    Thanks.

Well, one solution would be to take into account the registration date when considering who's a new member. People who've been registered since '09 are not likely to suddenly start posting naughty pics. Not that it can't happen, but it's unlikely. The point is to stop people from creating accounts just to troll.

I think, in the old forums, a number of trolls popped up with 'older' accounts, and posting pics with naughty bits. I recall one poster's account with a date from before the forum had even been created. I think it's relatively safe to assume things can get messed with to get around things like that.

I also don't really agree with the whole 'new forum member' can't do this or this. I've seen a number of people post new discussions for the first time asking for help with the game, and I think it'd only end up being more frustrating for those who are having problems that could be easily rectified by others that have had that problem as well. Though, if worse comes to worse, maybe (as I mentioned previously) a time limit? There's one site I frequent, that has you wait 3 days before being officially approved to post things, and it seems to work for them, as far as I can tell.
    We are now the knights who say Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Zoooooooom Boing Ni!
  • Options
    I have to sign in via origin but also confirm its me signing in, but I also set it up that way too so.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Apparently this issue has become a common one. People getting flagged for no reason, for example flagged for spam when not spamming.
    I would ok with being flagged for spamming I was flagged for abuse. Which in my opinion what I said to the person wasn't abuse. I rather not be flagged for either when I really didn't do anything.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    edited August 2014
    Shouldn't be allowed to have avatars either because now he's posting disgusting pictures for his avatar.
    Post edited by Fairy_Happy on
  • Options

I would ok with being flagged for spamming I was flagged for abuse. Which in my opinion what I said to the person wasn't abuse. I rather not be flagged for either when I really didn't do anything.

Again there is a lot of abuse of the flag button going on whether they flag you for spamming or abuse. The sad part is when you flag someone whos actually in need of flagging yet the abuse goes on for prolonged periods before its addressed.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Again there is a lot of abuse of the flag button going on whether they flag you for spamming or abuse. The sad part is when you flag someone whos actually in need of flagging yet the abuse goes on for prolonged periods before its addressed.
    I totally agree with you about the flag button abuse. It is getting out of hand and needs to be dealt with. Thank you InannaWintermoon for saying that. It is sad that people have to do that. You have restored my faith in people here. :D
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    how about something a bit fair. How about EA actually makes a proper website where you can not post anything that is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 at all. like how most other forums work?

as for having disgusting icon pics for where your name thumbnail is. they can do what most sites do.

actually have to have an approval through a mod to allow you to have that type of thumbnail
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
  • Options
    Linnyxx17 wrote: »
    how about something a bit fair. How about EA actually makes a proper website where you can not post anything that is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 at all. like how most other forums work?

as for having disgusting icon pics for where your name thumbnail is. they can do what most sites do.

actually have to have an approval through a mod to allow you to have that type of thumbnail
    The only problem with that is the uploading avatars if they would get rid of that and just bring are avatars from the old forums it would solve alot of problems.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member

The only problem with that is the uploading avatars if they would get rid of that and just bring are avatars from the old forums it would solve alot of problems.

Except even that isn't perfect.

I've stumbled across a few avi uploads that were very indecent as well in the s3 exchange, which is why I stopped randomly roaming the exchange in search of content for my game and started sticking to items uploaded for contests or by users I know to be safe.

Peace,GranMama Dragon
    My S3 Studio > http://tinyurl.com/7pjx25u
    lxxu3g4
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    I feel bad the the actual good new members but I do think they need to be more restricted sadly, why does one rotten apple have to ruin the bunch :(
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    This doesn't happen on the sims medieval forums. It's not right to punish the posters that have been here for years and contributed to the community. The mods need to do their jobs.

You don't see this on the sims medieval forums and it's the same company's forums (EA). Those mods are doing their job. Why aren't this forum's mods doing their job?
  • Options
    mana0143mana0143 Posts: 75 Member

This is what I was thinking too. I don't think a default avi is unreasonable while waiting for one to be approved.
  • Options
    Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited August 2014
    Abuse of negative votes isn't related only to newbies. I have negative experience with one user (I know who is) who joined at November 2011. I don't know what was a motivation: but she disagreed with person = original poster, who searched technical help and I was 1st person, who searched to help him - also she disagreed with me too. This user has more than 2'500 posts on TS2-3-4 forums.
    She hasn't posted better solution = for this I think, she has abused this button. I was scouraged (it was 1st disagree what I've got) and I wasn't interested to help on forums for few days.
    I'm pro - that negative votes should be explained (or privatelly or in forums) the same way as fulfilling pool: if you don't tick all mandatory questions, it won't let you go on next page. Here "next page" should means to post negative vote for someone. If posted in forum - why to disagree, then we all can learn from better solution for related issue and it will encourage people to post.
    If I personally disagree - I let it be, but I have still courage to write why, if I like or agree or OP makes my smile, I'll click to appossite button - because only those actions are encouraging to discuss - what is forum for.

I'm wondering about bunch of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on this site. I haven't meet so much embarassing images on old TS3 forums (only few) - how much are here.
    I think, this is caused by missing interests about Sims forums from part of moderators/EA. I remember from old TS3 forums, that they were there too present very rarely. Compliments for moderators @Twiggy and @Loverdag from CZ forums, who reached to answer each question and move each topic in apposite section. (Mostly I've got here help from players only: blunotte00, b o b 0 0 7, karritz, Ceejay402, KarinL and many another friendly simmers (sorry if I've forgotten to nominate someone). Only one time my issue solved EA-man.)
    If here will be some moderators assigned (I think, here is at least one for each section needed, because big forum), we will not see vulgar images, abuse of negative votes, fewer unanswered questions and someone will in shorter time bring to EA technical issues not caused by us - users. (And this is possible, see Twiggy and Loverdag ^^^)
    I would assign too users account on here to user's account on Origin - if someone is repeatly trolling, flamming and making generally bad environment here - he should be banned trough Origin account. 1st advertisement ex. for one week, 2nd 1 month ...3rd ?...4th forever.
    But administrators should (at first be present on here) examinate reasons what this related user made (having obviously access on more informations about related user).
    Not each newbie has bad behavior, but good behavior isn't guaranteed by long-year membership. If isn't here controll, each-one makes what he wants and is limited only by the own consciousness.
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    ThoddyEAThoddyEA Posts: 108 Member

I flagged your post because you don't like to be flagged :-).

On topic: Disagree should be removed. At release: You have to own Sims 4 to post here. Simple, eh?
    This poster is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top