Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

Comments

• Options
    KamakaLoKamakaLo Posts: 193 Member
    What if you were a member for years? and just didn't post much but wanted help? that would ruin it for people like that.
  • Options
    Tori-Alice-8DTori-Alice-8D Posts: 114 Member
    I must say that I agree with people when they say that new members may want technical help. I've needed help with some aspects of the game before, and I have not found anybody else asking that question anywhere on the site. It would be completely unfair to restrict these users, this is the official Sims 4 forum, after all.
  • Options
    LegendaryLegendary Posts: 390 Member
    Again, the solution to that is to have the technical help board have fewer restrictions, or to create a generic help thread in it for newbies.
    I'm just here to see how the fandom reacts to the game coming out.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    They should just make people with really good reputations on here mods so the forum would be less likely to spiral out of control.

Next to all the other stuff that is offered in this thread, having people from the community moderate is the dumbest thing you can do. During the TS2 boards you had a bunch of bored housewives 'volunteering', who proceeded to make the boards their own private Tropico. People got crudge-banned, warned willy-nilly while the forumgoers kissed their feet (some of them a little more in the hope to become mods too) to stay on their good side. Drama ensued. EA halted the program in the end that was one of the smarter decisions they made.

Merely reading this board is proof enough that mods from the community is the stupidest thing on earth.

On the other ideas, splitting the community up in under- and ubermenschen isn't to go help much. Limiting post-count and other stuff likewise not. This forum is paid-for admission. So everybody with a Sims game has equal right to be here. Deal with it.

The best solution to the problem was given already. How about not showing your righteous anger front, left and center and just flag a troll without empowering him/her to step up the effort?

• Options
    RitchieRitchie Posts: 107 Member
    edited August 2014
    I've been a member of the official The Sims websites since 2003. I participated a great deal ever since, be it not always on the English forums of The Sims 3 (since it was rubbish switching languages). I wonder why all those new members, people who've only been here for a couple of years ;) , suddenly act so elitist towards me and other "new members" :)

I'm with LittleMinxUndr! The first paragraph summed up the situation on many of the non-English forums quite brilliantly :#
  • Options
    Rayeee18Rayeee18 Posts: 333 Member
    Not all are bad people though. I've had this account for awhile now and am classed as a new member because I never really posted in the forum,
  • Options
    UltraUltra Posts: 826 Member
    I think new members shouldn't be able to flag other peoples posts either...this seems to be the newest craze. While i agree new members posting should be limited i think they should still be allowed to start threads in the technical support section.
  • Options
    XaneritheXanerithe Posts: 275 Member
    There is a game I play where the forums have that rule intact, new forum uses cannot make new threads and can only post in existing threads and cannot have a uploaded picture or post any pictures in threads.
  • Options
    SimmieDaySimmieDay Posts: 59 Member
    Why? I am a 'new member', but I have been here since 2012(Okay, not THAT long, but I'm not new anymore)
    I just don't post very much.
  • Options
    CheeezeyCheeezey Posts: 120 Member
    The thing is, if you had an account on the old forums that you only used once in a while, that you never abused, it feels pretty unfair to be put under a bunch of restrictions for "new members" that make you prove you're not a troll. Guilty until proven innocent isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling. I don't have any links to post or whatever, but I admit it would have rubbed me the wrong way to not be allowed to put up my avatar like everyone else can, when I've been a member of the forums since 2009 and have registered numerous Sims 3 expansions and stuff packs with my game. Meanwhile, the real trolls will just try harder to get past these restrictions.
  • Options
    thatguyraphaelthatguyraphael Posts: 94 Member
    why?
    "No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you've come from, you can always change, become a better version of yourself" - Madonna
  • Options
    rachcook1991rachcook1991 Posts: 157 Member
    edited August 2014
    i never really posted on the sims3 forums so im classified as a new member
    i used the sims3 my page thing ALOT to ask questions that actually got answered instead of trolled -,-

now because it seems we don't have that for the sims 4 i have to rely on the forums to help me out when i have questions

i propose they have the same system and have a sims my page for the sims4
    and to have a my page account you have to " register " your game
    Post edited by rachcook1991 on
  • Options
    UltraUltra Posts: 826 Member
    SimmieDay wrote: »
    Why? I am a 'new member', but I have been here since 2012(Okay, not THAT long, but I'm not new anymore)<br />
    I just don't post very much.

A lot of forums have rules like these. You don't post here much so it won't have a big impact on you anyway. But it makes a big difference to those that do post here a lot. People are sick of people spamming, trolling, flagging and clogging up the forums with crap. Then they get banned, only to return as a new member and do it all over again. Restricting privileges to new members will go a long way to solving that
  • Options
    SimmieDaySimmieDay Posts: 59 Member
    > @Ultra said:
    > SimmieDay wrote: »
    >
    > Why? I am a 'new member', but I have been here since 2012(Okay, not THAT long, but I'm not new anymore)

> I just don't post very much.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > A lot of forums have rules like these. You don't post here much so it won't have a big impact on you anyway. But it makes a big difference to those that do post here a lot. People are sick of people spamming, trolling, flagging and clogging up the forums with crap. Then they get banned, only to return as a new member and do it all over again. Restricting privileges to new members will go a long way to solving that

Yes, it is handy against trolls, but what if I(or another new member) wants to post pictures of their sims, or buildings, or guides or whatever? I can't because I'm not a member.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2014
    mmmhmmmmm

I feel bad for the new members tho who have a brain.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Tori-Alice-8DTori-Alice-8D Posts: 114 Member
    A new member asking for technical help may need to provide a picture of a glitch to have someone help them to diagnose the problem. Like I said, it isn't fair restricting members on the official Sims 4 forums, the first place people would go to when they need help.
    Cheeezey wrote: »
    Guilty until proven innocent isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling.

• Options
    Roberter4321Roberter4321 Posts: 38 Member
    Or how about the mods get a system in place. Do the mods hide posts manually or is it automatic? Because even if it is automatic, they could get a notification or something when a person has x number of posts hidden, then they can go and review the account activity/posts themselves and decide whether to ban the member. Perhaps they just need more mods in general.
  • Options
    Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    A new member asking for technical help may need to provide a picture of a glitch to have someone help them to diagnose the problem. Like I said, it isn't fair restricting members on the official Sims 4 forums, the first place people would go to when they need help.
    Cheeezey wrote: »
    Guilty until proven innocent isn't a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Good thing this isn't a court of law then
  • Options
    EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    What next - do we stop new members from posting all together? You're all being ridiculous.
  • Options
    Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    I'm just tired of all the nudity and other disgusting pictures that were going around. New members having restricted privileges is common. I don't think we are being unreasonable.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I haven't read the whole thread but don't you think the easiest way to contain the situation is to simply ignore the troll?

Trolls tend to be sad little bored people who love to upset a community and most importantly be talked about!

If everyone that came across a troll post and all they did was report and move on there would be no reason for the troll to keep posting.

They want to upset you, they want to cause a ruckus and they want to be talked about. If you don't fuel a fire it dies out.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    kiritopixiekiritopixie Posts: 41 Member
    I'm in the new user camp as well (my account here says December 2011 but my My Page on thesims3.com says 2010, so I'm not sure why the discrepancy). It's a little frustrating, having all the sims 3 games registered, half the stuff packs, and still being considered "new", but at the same time I sympathize with regular forum posters who just want to feel like something is being done to stop the pervasive trolling. I'm a lurker, and I saw a bit of what was going on last night, and I get it. In the end, if some restrictions were able to limit the amount of trolling done, then I'd learn to live with it. The problem is whether or not it would actually fix it--trolls are persistent, they'll jump through whatever hoops they need to.

What this site clearly needs is better moderation, auto and manual. I haven't read enough to get a sense of how auto moderation works here, but I think a certain number of flags, reports, or whatever, should automatically hide a user's posts (including avatar) and his/her user page, the user him/herself being put on a twelve-hour (or however long) cool down so that they can't make any posts until a moderator comes in and checks out the complaints.

Of course, they could just employ more moderators, but if they can't/won't do that, then the auto moderation system needs to be stronger. If a mass of users are complaining about a particular poster, then there should be a system that should allow their collective will to result in an temporary account freeze for the person in question.
  • Options
    nus99nus99 Posts: 37 Member
    > @Rayeee18 said:
    > Not all are bad people though. I've had this account for awhile now and am classed as a new member because I never really posted in the forum,
    Yeah i agree, been here since 2009, yet i hardly ever post anything except to try and help people if I can.
    Its ashame that these trolls as you call them spoil it for the rest of us "new members".
  • Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    Not really fair on the majority of decent people, why punish everyone just cause of 1 or 2 idiots!
    My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    I haven't read the whole thread but don't you think the easiest way to contain the situation is to simply ignore the troll?

Trolls tend to be sad little bored people who love to upset a community and most importantly be talked about!

If everyone that came across a troll post and all they did was report and move on there would be no reason for the troll to keep posting.

They want to upset you, they want to cause a ruckus and they want to be talked about. If you don't fuel a fire it dies out.

I agree but our current troll likes to bait the system as it seems. And will happily play dumb until they get their member status and then restart the bad behavior.

Peace,GranMama Dragon
    My S3 Studio > http://tinyurl.com/7pjx25u
    lxxu3g4
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top