Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

Comments

• Options
    REDRED123REDRED123 Posts: 8 New Member
    I'm a "new member" just because I don't post much,but ive been around since the last parts of the sims 2. I don't see why a group punishment is fair,but maybe they should start IP banning.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Legendary wrote: »
    Thread is self-explanatory.

An ignore button would work best. You do not like the individual, click ignore and never have to hear from them again.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    I haven't read the whole thread but don't you think the easiest way to contain the situation is to simply ignore the troll?

Trolls tend to be sad little bored people who love to upset a community and most importantly be talked about!

If everyone that came across a troll post and all they did was report and move on there would be no reason for the troll to keep posting.

They want to upset you, they want to cause a ruckus and they want to be talked about. If you don't fuel a fire it dies out.

Unfortunately this really is not something that can simply be ignored. Something needs to be done to ensure what happened last night and the nights before can be dealt with in a much quicker manner.

We're not talking about somebody whose just coming here spamming the forums with nonsense or abuse; we're talking about somebody who thinks it is funny to spam the forum with p.ornographic images of Sonic and Mario. When steps were initially taken to restrict new members from posting images and links all this person did was pretend to be a normal civilised person until they were given enough points to become a member. Then the spamming began all over again.

Naturally, with the new system their points plummeted very quickly and they lost the ability to post the pictures again. So they just changed their avatar to another p.ornographic. Even when the posts were "hidden" you could STILL see the avatar.

Like I said yesterday; I don't think outright restricting new members is the answer either. If we do that then this community is going to be not only unwelcoming to new people but it is also going to be downright cliquey and I for one do not want that. IMHO what needs to happen is that new members should be able to post (but perhaps not be able to display avatars or share links / pictures until they become a member) but if their points go to say, -50 ALL posting rights should be removed immediately.

If you're a normal, civilised person you're never going to hit -50 under normal circumstances but if you're a troll then no matter how long you pretend to be a "good" person those points will be completely obliterated in a matter of minutes. It's a way for us as a community to control the boards ourselves while hopefully not making anybody new feel unwelcome here.

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I agree with others not responding to posts in any way but for flagging is the best way we in the trenches so to speak can be the most effective.
    :'(

Also not liking the new limit on flagging.

Hey! In case you are referring to spam alerts when flagging, these will only be triggered if you report the same post more than 2 or three times, and the block is for 3 minutes.

The spam block shouldn't be trigger if you are spamming differnt posts. But if u did get a spam block for this please let me know. But also there should be no other penalty then having to wait

Also as I understand it the new forum is designed to remove/ bury post when there is a high number of flags - as unsavory as it may be flaging is crucial so I hope no one is discouraged doing so when it's clearly necessary
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    I agree with others not responding to posts in any way but for flagging is the best way we in the trenches so to speak can be the most effective.

Hey! In case you are referring to spam alerts when flagging, these will only be triggered if you report the same post more than 2 or three times, and the block is for 3 minutes.

The spam block shouldn't be trigger if you are spamming differnt posts. But if u did get a spam block for this please let me know. But also there should be no other penalty then having to wait

Also as I understand it the new forum is designed to remove/ bury post when there is a high number of flags - as unsavory as it may be flaging is crucial so I hope no one is discouraged doing so when it's clearly necessary

I had qued up several posts at once in tabs and was on my 3rd yet separate flag when I encountered the warning. Waited a few minutes and flagged. From there I only flagged 3 at a time with the note that the "user was using plumbob for their avi", with a wait of 2 minutes between flags.

.... for any who might worry, I'm not the flag happy sort I only flag if absolutely needed, if I don't like or disagree with a comment I'll say so or wander off to read something else B)

Happy simming :)

Peace,GranMama Dragon
    My S3 Studio > http://tinyurl.com/7pjx25u
    lxxu3g4

Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    We're not talking about somebody whose just coming here spamming the forums with nonsense or abuse; we're talking about somebody who thinks it is funny to spam the forum with p.ornographic images of Sonic and Mario.

It doesn't matter what is posted. The point is no matter what is posted....report an move on. The troll's ultimate goal is to inflame, upset and cause a stir. If you don't respond in any way but to report the post the troll has nothing to feed on. When someone posts about how outraged they are it's exactly what the troll is looking for.

This morning there a few threads talking about how to control the situation. These in themselves are just what the troll is looking for...to be talked about.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »

Its encouraged for the people breaking the rules but most of us are getting flagged because the other person can't take our opinion responses.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    DatkidDatkid Posts: 430 Member
    I think a post limit would be more appropriate.
    Have a look at my gallery yeah? JUMANJIKID
    ap2le.gif
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread but don't you think the easiest way to contain the situation is to simply ignore the troll?

Trolls tend to be sad little bored people who love to upset a community and most importantly be talked about!

If everyone that came across a troll post and all they did was report and move on there would be no reason for the troll to keep posting.

They want to upset you, they want to cause a ruckus and they want to be talked about. If you don't fuel a fire it dies out.

Unfortunately this really is not something that can simply be ignored. Something needs to be done to ensure what happened last night and the nights before can be dealt with in a much quicker manner.

We're not talking about somebody whose just coming here spamming the forums with nonsense or abuse; we're talking about somebody who thinks it is funny to spam the forum with p.ornographic images of Sonic and Mario. When steps were initially taken to restrict new members from posting images and links all this person did was pretend to be a normal civilised person until they were given enough points to become a member. Then the spamming began all over again.

Naturally, with the new system their points plummeted very quickly and they lost the ability to post the pictures again. So they just changed their avatar to another p.ornographic. Even when the posts were "hidden" you could STILL see the avatar.

Like I said yesterday; I don't think outright restricting new members is the answer either. If we do that then this community is going to be not only unwelcoming to new people but it is also going to be downright cliquey and I for one do not want that. IMHO what needs to happen is that new members should be able to post (but perhaps not be able to display avatars or share links / pictures until they become a member) but if their points go to say, -50 ALL posting rights should be removed immediately.

If you're a normal, civilised person you're never going to hit -50 under normal circumstances but if you're a troll then no matter how long you pretend to be a "good" person those points will be completely obliterated in a matter of minutes. It's a way for us as a community to control the boards ourselves while hopefully not making anybody new feel unwelcome here.

It amazes me that some folks are so quick to restrict the rights and privileges of those people they believe are below their station. The issue should not be ignored, but the trolls can be with the click of an ignore button. Ignore buttons ignore the poster not the post so even the avatar will not be seen.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    From what I've gathered in my own thread it seems they might have added at least a 24h trail period.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i'm not new i was around in sims3. but orgin was having issues so i had to make a new account
  • Options
    AnmandaaAnmandaa Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2014
    @REDRED123 said:
    I'm a "new member" just because I don't post much,but ive been around since the last parts of the sims 2. I don't see why a group punishment is fair,but maybe they should start IP banning.

This applies to me too... I agree in the IP banning as well, that would probably keep the trolls at bay.
  • Options
    Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member

That seemed to happen today my thread got trolled everybody just ignored it and reported it dissapeared very quickly "do not respond just report it does work"
  • Options
    FloofFloof Posts: 76 Member
    I think there should also be a system on when you can use the rating system as well, at a certain rank it becomes unlocked.
    It might ease the abuse.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member

I had qued up several posts at once in tabs and was on my 3rd yet separate flag when I encountered the warning. Waited a few minutes and flagged. From there I only flagged 3 at a time with the note that the "user was using plumbob for their avi", with a wait of 2 minutes between flags.
    thanks @Mmdrgntobldrgn the many tabs may be triggering the block.
    Its encouraged for the people breaking the rules but most of us are getting flagged because the other person can't take our opinion responses.

@pepperjax1230 i agree flagging should only be used to report when forum rules are broken not because of difference of opinion, and i hope there is a way to resolve this
  • Options
    Snosrap522 wrote: »

That seemed to happen today my thread got trolled everybody just ignored it and reported it dissapeared very quickly "do not respond just report it does work"

They have an agenda and it if doesn't work the air gets let out of their balloon pretty fast.

I found this image while clicking around.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    Anmandaa wrote: »
    @REDRED123 said:<br />
    I'm a "new member" just because I don't post much,but ive been around since the last parts of the sims 2. I don't see why a group punishment is fair,but maybe they should start IP banning.<br />
    <br />
    This applies to me too... I agree in the IP banning as well, that would probably keep the trolls at bay.

According to your Profile you're a New Member period, starting August 12th. I also find the fact that your role is General to also be suspect, as our most recent troll had the same role. You'll forgive me for being a wee bit suspicious, did you participate in the old forums? If so what was your username?
  • Options
    Guess I didn't figure out how to post pictures yet.

And while I'm on a learning curve here...I've got to ask....and maybe I'm being a complete idiot...how do you edit a post?

• Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited August 2014

And while I'm on a learning curve here...I've got to ask....and maybe I'm being a complete idiot...how do you edit a post?

Hover your cursor over your post, and in the top right-hand corner you will see a little gear icon. Click it to edit.

(And don't think of yourself as an idiot. It's kind of hidden. :smile: )
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I'm a "new member" just because I don't post much,but ive been around since the last parts of the sims 2. I don't see why a group punishment is fair,but maybe they should start IP banning.<br />
    <br />

According to your Profile you're a New Member period, starting August 12th. I also find the fact that your role is General to also be suspect, as our most recent troll had the same role. You'll forgive me for being a wee bit suspicious, did you participate in the old forums? If so what was your username?
    How do you get the General role?
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Hover your cursor over the top right-hand corner of your post and you will see a little gear icon. Click it to edit.

Thanks so much. I've got win 8...I should have learned the art of hovering. :p

• Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Hover your cursor over the top right-hand corner of your post and you will see a little gear icon. Click it to edit.

Thanks so much. I've got win 8...I should have learned the art of hovering. :p

No problem. :smile: I also found the easiest way to post pics is to use the little icon that looks like a folded piece of paper. (It's in the row of icons right across the top of your message box while you're typing.)
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    <br />

How do you get the General role?

I would like to know that as well.
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    Trolling has been awful - but many come to the forum for the first time to post topics seeking help with glitches or other particular in-game problems ('Where do I find..?'). It'd be a shame to penalise them.
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options
    AnmandaaAnmandaa Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2014
    @TheGreenLion:

I did. My username was Anmanda. Signed up when TS3's site was launched in 2009. I've never been really active in the forums though, and will not be on here either. I just had a technical question I wanted to ask on here, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to sign up at all. And since I only was about to make 1 post I just made a new account. Sorry to hear about trolling problems, but I still don't think new members should be excluded. I believe it'd be better to find an effective way of banning the trolls.

Edit: And I have no clue how you get the General role, I just used the regular Sign Up button when I signed up.
    Edit 2: Now I realize why my first post didn't make sense as well since the member I quoted didn't have the same type of account as I do. Still, if I had used my old account to post I'd still have been considered a new member since I have very few posts on that account as well~
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top