March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

167891012...Next

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,225 Member
    This may not be a popular opinion, but I am a new user and I really don't mind this restriction at all. It is giving me a chance to explore the forum and get a feel for the community before I post my own threads.

The one thing I would like to change is membership being based on points which rely on other members liking my comments (unless I've gotten this wrong?). I'd prefer it to be based only on number of posts or something that does not depend on other people clicking certain buttons.

@Cest_si_Bon, One of the main reasons why points need to be involve with this is to keep the would be spammers away as it would be too easy for them to obtain full membership with just posts alone because spammers wouldn't be posting anything about any of the Sims games to even warrant anyone clicking on Likes, Insightful's or Awesome's.

The best thing to do to earn points is to posts useful, insightful posts in others members threads... :)
  • Cest_si_BonCest_si_Bon Posts: 50 Member
    @lisasc360 oh I absolutely understand why this is the case. Thank you for replying to me. It does make more sense how you've explained it - it does encourage new users to make effort in their posting. :)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    This may not be a popular opinion, but I am a new user and I really don't mind this restriction at all. It is giving me a chance to explore the forum and get a feel for the community before I post my own threads.

The one thing I would like to change is membership being based on points which rely on other members liking my comments (unless I've gotten this wrong?). I'd prefer it to be based only on number of posts or something that does not depend on other people clicking certain buttons.
    That does seem reasonable at first glance. But the problem is that other new users will then post things like nonsense strings of characters on random existing threads all over the place just to get their post counts up and that can be really distracting to those following the threads or trying to have a conversation. And then we'll have members starting threads entitled "Post Your Nonsense Here" on Off Topic, which would kind of dilute the point of the requirement to engage properly with others first.

We still see some new users doing the nonsense binge postings once in a while thinking there would be some benefit other than getting put on everyone's ignore lists (which probably is not their intended goal) until they are reported.

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the points requirements to start new threads myself as they can get in the way of new members trying to get assistance, although for TS3 we have a thread in Tech set up just for them to add onto and we have Answers.HQ for tech issues generally. But anything has got to be better than a forum plagued by spambots and users with no or weak membership requirements posting adult and other off-topic pics by the thousands all over the place like we at one time experienced here.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and helping each other when things weren't clear. :)

This is an old thread - things have changed and evolved a lot around here since it was created. As the information is now mostly outdated, it's causing more confusion than it's worth so I'm locking it here.

For updated information on New Members rank >> https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934205/small-change-for-new-members#latest ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top