March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

Comments

• VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    This should only a apply to troublemakers NOT just new members. :s
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
    edited July 2017
    2012Sim03 wrote: »
    I know I'm still a new member, but that won't solve the problem, as Candyr277 said. Don't punish the rest of the new members for one troll.

Exactly my point! If they want to restrict troublemakers fine they deserve it but less not push new players away. We and I'm sure EA as well, want to welcome all players initially. Restrict troublemakers not new members that aren't causing trouble!

If you see trouble just report it and move on. You can't and shouldn't be able to control a site that isn't yours/ours anyway. Let the mods and EA make those decisions. :)
  • Vici0us_VirusVici0us_Virus Posts: 3,076 Member
    You'd know if you were on the forums more, 525 posts...
    It helps prevent SPAM, reduces crap posting TROLLS, and keeps 20 new members from creating the same "DELETE THIS" a week later discussions.
    In short it's better for everybody, but don't take my word for it.
    I've only averaged 3000 comments in 3yrs, so i'm barely even here...
    More Mods are the answer not punishing new players. Besides it won't happen. I would be terrible for sales. :wink:
  • Vici0us_VirusVici0us_Virus Posts: 3,076 Member
    edited July 2017
    More Mods are the answer not punishing new players. Besides it won't happen. I would be terrible for sales. :wink:

This is already in effect Venus, you didn't get the memo cuz...
    You weren't here?
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,225 Member
    edited July 2017
    2012Sim03 wrote: »
    I know I'm still a new member, but that won't solve the problem, as Candyr277 said. Don't punish the rest of the new members for one troll.

Exactly my point! If they want to restrict troublemakers fine they deserve it but less not push new players away. We and I'm sure EA as well, want to welcome all players initially. Restrict troublemakers not new members that aren't causing trouble!

If you see trouble just report it and move on. You can't and shouldn't be able to control a site that isn't yours/ours anyway. Let the mods and EA make those decisions. :)

I don't know if you were visiting this site back in Aug/Sept/Oct of 2014 when new members could have avatars but it was getting quite out of hand with the adult photos that was being used. When those members would get banned, they would make a new account and start posting those pictures again only to get banned again and coming back with another account since it's so easy to make another account since we don't need to register any Sims games. So since there isn't any type of game registration, EA had to put this system in place to keep any new members from posting avatars/pictures until they become full members. EA doesn't know which new members are going to be good members or bad members when they sign up to this site, so every new member must go through the system if they are serious about becoming a full member. And so far this system has been working on keeping out would be trolls since they can't post their nasty and unwanted pictures as well as starting new threads.
  • RickyPhamRickyPham Posts: 44 Member
    Honestly, while trying to become a regular member has had a ton of hoops that I had to jump through, I can understand these policies needing to be in place. While I don't agree that thirty posts is needed, maybe 20 or 15, I believe that these policies are in place to keep this place clean. Posting so often with content that is irrelevant just to get a post count up isn't an optimal situation, and unfortunately that's what I and many others resort to just because of going so long without being able to set an avatar or signature.
    xYktTRa.png
  • LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    The thing i'm wondering is - Wouldn't the trolls just start being trolls when they get promoted to member? Or is there something about new members that make people want to troll? I don't mean to start a fight or anything, just wondering.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
    The thing i'm wondering is - Wouldn't the trolls just start being trolls when they get promoted to member? Or is there something about new members that make people want to troll? I don't mean to start a fight or anything, just wondering.

I think if someone is going to be a troll, then they're going to start trolling as soon as they sign up to the site and not wanting to wait to become a full member to start their trolling. We do have members here who will go out of their way to create a new account just to troll someone because they don't want to use their main account to troll certain members of the forum for fear of getting the main account banned. And most would-be trolls really wouldn't want to wait around to get the requirements to become a full member to start trolling the site and posting their unsavory types of pictures and such.

We do get the occasional spammer who will sign up to the account just to advertise their non-Sims site or to advertise love doctors/voodoo doctors and the such. Just like the other day, we had someone sign up to the site so that they could use their spambots to post in threads that mentioned divorce in the title so that they could advertise some type of love priest that can help with people's relationships/marriage but that got cut short when the posts got reported and then deleted and the poster banned.
  • MrStrangeMrStrange Posts: 66 Member
    Well...since I'm to new to start discussions or anything...
    Could someone add a Bugs and Issues thread to The Sims 4 Console Feedback? Please?
    That'd be helpful for console'players.
    Or am I trolling? I'm not even sure how to do that. I'm more gullible, the less I know. :P ... :'( :'(

I know there is a Forum for bugs, but I keep thinking they'll look into PC for the issues before console if shared there.
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    MrStrange wrote: »
    Well...since I'm to new to start discussions or anything...
    Could someone add a Bugs and Issues thread to The Sims 4 Console Feedback? Please?
    That'd be helpful for console'players.
    Or am I trolling? I'm not even sure how to do that. I'm more gullible, the less I know. :P ... :'(:'(

I know there is a Forum for bugs, but I keep thinking they'll look into PC for the issues before console if shared there.

You can post your bug issues for the console here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/929891/great-game-a-few-bugs/p1
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    what do I have to do to achieve membership?
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,479 Member
    theFella wrote: »
    what do I have to do to achieve membership?

Hello @theFella
    You need to have 50 points and 30 posts before you can become a full member and can then have an Avi picture, post pictures, have a signature, start new threads, edit posts , post links that show up correctly and have quotes appear in grey boxes . This thread explains about it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know

You receive a point each time another simmer presses like or awesome or insightful on a post that you have posted. Keep posting on the different threads and sections of the forums and you will soon get the points/posts. The off topic section is a good place to post.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/off-topic-chat
    You will soon get the required points and posts if you also post about your simming experiences on threads that you are interested in the thread topics.
  • theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    @rosemow too sweet. I cannot quote you without the forum denying me, so I will just mention instead.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • Pi_AmazingnessPi_Amazingness Posts: 23 Member
    [quote="rosemow;c-16181659"][quote="theFella;c-16181648"]what do I have to do to achieve membership?[/quote]

Hello @theFella
    You need to have 50 points and 30 posts before you can become a full member and can then have an Avi picture, post pictures, have a signature, start new threads, edit posts , post links that show up correctly and have quotes appear in grey boxes . This thread explains about it.
    [removed link so I could quote you]

You receive a point each time another simmer presses like or awesome or insightful on a post that you have posted. Keep posting on the different threads and sections of the forums and you will soon get the points/posts. The off topic section is a good place to post.
    [removed link]
    You will soon get the required points and posts if you also post about your simming experiences on threads that you are interested in the thread topics.
    [/quote]

I wish this was clearer. I’m someone who has been playing since the Sims 1 and logged on today just to make a new and legitimate thread in the feedback section. I thought it was a bug because I’m on mobile. I don’t even know the current status of my account... lol.
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    @Pi_Amazingness You've already got 15 Points and 22 Posts.
  • Pi_AmazingnessPi_Amazingness Posts: 23 Member
    [quote="Gagea;c-17101036"]@Pi_Amazingness You've already got 15 Points and 22 Posts.[/quote]
    I found out the limit was lowered later on. It’s quite a good thing. :)
  • AbbyChase145AbbyChase145 Posts: 5 New Member
    Why not we may have an issue nobody else has brought up and I'm not a new member I just now registered but I've been playing the game for 9 months I've been planning on all systems and cleaning Xbox 360 for years
    Why not we may have an issue nobody else has brought up and I'm not a new member I just now registered but I've been playing the game for 9 months I've been planning on all systems and cleaning Xbox 360 for years

@AbbyChase145, any issues such as bugs would be posted over on the EA Answers HQ page as they would prefer to keep all gaming issues to one site instead of different sites. Same goes for The Sims 4 PC game as well... ;)
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Yeah... no. This a good way to screw over innocent people. New members have enough restrictions as it is, they don't need more to be added.
    6JSxk49.png?1
    Yeah... no. This a good way to screw over innocent people. New members have enough restrictions as it is, they don't need more to be added.

Actually new members can't make new threads now until they have become full members due to the spambot issues from about 3-4 years ago.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    If you are new to the forums one member @rosemow has many, many threads for help for new members.

For game issues.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/878318/thread-for-new-members-to-post-game-issues#latest

Or check discussions on her page to find other helpful threads.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/discussions/rosemow

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,479 Member
    If you are new to the forums one member @rosemow has many, many threads for help for new members.

For game issues.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/878318/thread-for-new-members-to-post-game-issues#latest

Or check discussions on her page to find other helpful threads.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/discussions/rosemow

Hello
    The Sims 4 Help section on this forum is now read only. New threads are unable to be started in the help section , and already started threads can’t be posted on. It would be best to post about your game issues on the AHQ EA site
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en

• Cest_si_BonCest_si_Bon Posts: 50 Member
    This may not be a popular opinion, but I am a new user and I really don't mind this restriction at all. It is giving me a chance to explore the forum and get a feel for the community before I post my own threads.

The one thing I would like to change is membership being based on points which rely on other members liking my comments (unless I've gotten this wrong?). I'd prefer it to be based only on number of posts or something that does not depend on other people clicking certain buttons.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top