March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Proposal: New Members Shouldn't Be Allowed to Make New Discussions

Comments

• windchime00windchime00 Posts: 294 Member
    Agreed
  • cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think that new members should have a posting limit. There should be fewer restrictions in the technical forum than in The Sims 4 discussion.
  • TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    Anmandaa wrote: »
    @TheGreenLion:<br />
    <br />
    According to your Profile you're a New Member period, starting August 12th. I also find the fact that your role is General to also be suspect, as our most recent troll had the same role. You'll forgive me for being a wee bit suspicious, did you participate in the old forums? If so what was your username?<br />
    <br />
    I was. My username was Anmanda. Signed up when TS3's site was launched in 2009. I've never been active in the forums though, and will not be on here either. I just had a technical question I wanted to ask on here, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to sign up at all. And since I only was about to make 1 post I just made a new account. Sorry to hear about trolling problems, but I still don't think new members should be excluded. I believe it'd be better to find an effective way of banning the trolls.

One of these ways is to do a little snooping of our own, not that we should have to be careful but we do. Hopefully that will change, because I do not like having to be suspicious. If you had registered your old username, we would see that you've been around since 2009 and your role would be en_US. Like I said, I do not like to be unwelcoming but in light of recent events I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. @blunote00 mentioned some sort of other change being implemented and I can only hope that might be a more effective way of sorting out the trolling situation.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I apologize for making you feel uncomfortable, it doesn't sit well with me either.
  • super_niinsuper_niin Posts: 107 Member
    edited August 2014
    I really don't like the idea of a few sick trolls ruining it for the rest of us; I've been on the forums since 2009 but don't post very much but I guess it may be necessary
  • SnackysSnackys Posts: 30 Member
    Meh, we can have restrictions but I don't think no badges and no comments aren't gonna help us rank up to Member.
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    > @jessathemessa said:
    > KrisPerfectlyMe wrote: »
    >
    > Why?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Because of the trolls that are posting large quantities of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 images over the past couple of days. In threads, creating new threads, in their avatars, on peoples' profile pages, etc.

I think that its not a nice thing to say that they shouldn't be able to make new discussions or limit postings. Yes, I understand the issue and like everyone here, I believe that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 images/less than desirable topics of discussions have no place here. BUT I believe that if EA is going to have discussion boards here, they need to police them better. Its up to them, as moderators, to pay closer attention. I have yet to see a button here that has a "report" button. I see a flag button, but I don't know if that is different or the same as reporting a post. In any event though, they need to be more on top of things.
  • StoreAccountStoreAccount Posts: 1,504 Member
    New members' posts should be moderated before they can show for at least a few weeks.

And there should be actual MODS around.

On TS3.com some of my posts were deleted within seconds just for light trolling.
  • Tori-Alice-8DTori-Alice-8D Posts: 114 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    We're not talking about somebody whose just coming here spamming the forums with nonsense or abuse; we're talking about somebody who thinks it is funny to spam the forum with p.ornographic images of Sonic and Mario.

It doesn't matter what is posted. The point is no matter what is posted....report an move on. The troll's ultimate goal is to inflame, upset and cause a stir. If you don't respond in any way but to report the post the troll has nothing to feed on. When someone posts about how outraged they are it's exactly what the troll is looking for.

This morning there a few threads talking about how to control the situation. These in themselves are just what the troll is looking for...to be talked about.

Well, I agree with you to a certain extent, but if we just ignore them, the pictures will stay, and these are not allowed on this site.
    Minors will see these images, and people could be triggered by them. We need to remove them before that happens.
  • AnmandaaAnmandaa Posts: 5 New Member
    @TheGreenLion
    One of these ways is to do a little snooping of our own, not that we should have to be careful but we do. Hopefully that will change, because I do not like having to be suspicious. If you had registered your old username, we would see that you've been around since 2009 and your role would be en_US. Like I said, I do not like to be unwelcoming but in light of recent events I feel it is better to be safe than sorry. blunote00 mentioned some sort of other change being implemented and I can only hope that might be a more effective way of sorting out the trolling situation.
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I apologize for making you feel uncomfortable, it doesn't sit well with me either.

It's fine by me, I've already aquired an answer to the question I signed up for to ask, so I won't be around here any longer. I still feel it's such a shame that members who are actually new to these forums and would like to be active forum partipicants will be treated unequally to older members, with heaps of doubt, and not be taken seriously in their opinions simply because of some troll events.
    I do hope some changes will take place and all of this getting sorted out with better ways of handling trolls, because even if I'm not an active member of the simming community I feel bad for newcomers who are good people but still will be treated disrespectfully simply for being new. So I as well hope for a more functional, and friendler version of these forums in the future.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Well, I agree with you to a certain extent, but if we just ignore them, the pictures will stay, and these are not allowed on this site.
    Minors will see these images, and people could be triggered by them. We need to remove them before that happens.

I didn't say just ignore. I said report and move on. Reporting it will have action taken on the post.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    Guess I didn't figure out how to post pictures yet.

And while I'm on a learning curve here...I've got to ask....and maybe I'm being a complete idiot...how do you edit a post?

Hover your cursor over the top right-hand corner of your post and you will see a little gear icon. Click it to edit.

(And don't think of yourself as an idiot. It's kind of hidden. :smile: )

Thanks so much. I've got win 8...I should have learned the art of hovering. :p

No problem. :smile: I also found the easiest way to post pics is to use the little icon that looks like a folded piece of paper. (It's in the row of icons right across the top of your message box while you're typing.)

You know I clicked on that and it didn't work....let me rephrase....I couldn't get it work. More learning curve I guess.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    Really they need to filter out pervy pics. There has to be a way to do it. If they can filter words considered dirty, though some of those words being filtered has made no sense, then there has to be a way to filter out explicit pictures/memes etc.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    A better solution would be new members need to register a Sims 3 or 4 game in order to post etc. Not all new members come to cause trouble.
  • Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    > @Sc3niX said:
    > A better solution would be new members need to register a Sims 3 or 4 game in order to post etc. Not all new members come to cause trouble.

That's actually perfect.....why be on here if you don't play the game? You never know if new members even HAVE or plan to have the game in the first place. They could just come and cause havoc any time they want to. So, I fully agree with this.
    @ReubenHood @06Bon06 I see you disagreeing with my post. :)
  • StoreAccountStoreAccount Posts: 1,504 Member
    Seset used to get free codes to register and spam TS3 forums.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    cooli02000 wrote: »

You know what, I think that was an accident because I've never read that post before o.O
  • PlumbobPastaxxPlumbobPastaxx Posts: 214 Member
    A... proposal? For me?
    derpina-tears.png
    Sorry, im just so derpy today.
    Origin ID: PlumbobPastaxx
    lapuod39490.png
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2014
    Honestly, i do not even see why a person who does not own any of the Sims game titles would even need to create a forum thread; as they would not have anything to realistically contribute in relation to the game in question.

In my mind -It's not so much a question of: "This person should not be able to" but more a question of: "Why would they even bother?"

It should be enough for a non-game owner to simply be able to freely participate in existing topics.

---Off-topic threads to me are a completely different story thou. -There should always be a place for people to freely exchange thoughts and ideas about anything -while following the Terms of service and Forums rules.
  • TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member

If they caught what you said before you edited your post, it's not a wonder that they disagreed. Something along the lines of 'Lilhunny says nerds gone wild thinking they're mods', correct? :p

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Posts: 119 Member
    A... proposal? For me?
    derpina-tears.png
    Sorry, im just so derpy today.

Derpy face is Derpy-awesome! :D

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

If they caught what you said before you edited your post, it's not a wonder that they disagreed. Something along the lines of 'Lilhunny says nerds gone wild thinking they're mods', correct? :p

Ohh stat why I disliked it then, I knew I didn't disagree to what was written there now.

• DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited August 2014
    REDRED123 wrote: »
    I'm a "new member" just because I don't post much,but ive been around since the last parts of the sims 2. I don't see why a group punishment is fair,but maybe they should start IP banning.
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread but don't you think the easiest way to contain the situation is to simply ignore the troll?

Trolls tend to be sad little bored people who love to upset a community and most importantly be talked about!

If everyone that came across a troll post and all they did was report and move on there would be no reason for the troll to keep posting.

They want to upset you, they want to cause a ruckus and they want to be talked about. If you don't fuel a fire it dies out.

Unfortunately this really is not something that can simply be ignored. Something needs to be done to ensure what happened last night and the nights before can be dealt with in a much quicker manner.

We're not talking about somebody whose just coming here spamming the forums with nonsense or abuse; we're talking about somebody who thinks it is funny to spam the forum with p.ornographic images of Sonic and Mario. When steps were initially taken to restrict new members from posting images and links all this person did was pretend to be a normal civilised person until they were given enough points to become a member. Then the spamming began all over again.

Naturally, with the new system their points plummeted very quickly and they lost the ability to post the pictures again. So they just changed their avatar to another p.ornographic. Even when the posts were "hidden" you could STILL see the avatar.

Like I said yesterday; I don't think outright restricting new members is the answer either. If we do that then this community is going to be not only unwelcoming to new people but it is also going to be downright cliquey and I for one do not want that. IMHO what needs to happen is that new members should be able to post (but perhaps not be able to display avatars or share links / pictures until they become a member) but if their points go to say, -50 ALL posting rights should be removed immediately.

If you're a normal, civilised person you're never going to hit -50 under normal circumstances but if you're a troll then no matter how long you pretend to be a "good" person those points will be completely obliterated in a matter of minutes. It's a way for us as a community to control the boards ourselves while hopefully not making anybody new feel unwelcome here.

It amazes me that some folks are so quick to restrict the rights and privileges of those people they believe are below their station. The issue should not be ignored, but the trolls can be with the click of an ignore button. Ignore buttons ignore the poster not the post so even the avatar will not be seen.

It amazes me how many people can intentionally miss-read my post so they can continue acting as though people are overreacting / out to get them.
    edited August 2014
    nvm

• lovetodeath8lovetodeath8 Posts: 21 Member
    > @Legendary said:
    > Thread is self-explanatory.

They Classify me as a new member. Even though I hardly ever post, I have been a user for a couple of years and a lurker for even longer. If I want to ask for Tech help mas a newbie, then I should be allowed to.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top