Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

World Explorers - Chapter 4

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Thanks for keeping us updated, WR.

:hugz: to everyone
  • Options
    DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Oh dear, so much going on since I was last here!

@Writin_Reg , Reg, have you heard anymore about your brother? Wow, what dilemmas you've been facing! Have you heard anything further from Shelly about DM? What a horrendous happenstance for them. I'm grateful your last message from Shelly indicates he's doing well now. I hope your house hunting situation has improved.

@Rflong7 , I hope you've gotten closed and settled into your new home. I saw your blurb on having held our hope for toddlers and/or a world editor for TS4 by now and am really sorry that hasn't been the case. I still honestly don't see how they can offer a world editor since they keep saying everything is built from scratch. It feels like one has to practically be an engineer to even successfully mod the game. I ran across something that indicated Zerbu gave up trying to do an editor from a modding standpoint.

@tammyjo329 , I'm sorry to hear your DH needed surgery but delighted that it seems to have gone so well. I hope he is continuing to mend well.

@flstrider , LOL at interest in the "rustic" cabin. Kind word for that hunk o' junk as an abode for everyday living. Hunting retreat....maybe.

Tangie, hope all is good in your world.

I'm now faced with having to install TS3 and all store content onto the pc I got in June. Turns out my usb stick with my TS3 backups, meaning store content backups too, is MIA. Groan, I am so NOT looking forward to this venture but have a longing to play TS3 again. I keep telling myself to quit whining and just do it, LOL.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Hi, @DOLLDRMS1. Good to see you drop by! Things are pretty good with me. Still working on clearing out my house so I can get it on the market. I lived there 25 years and so there's a lot to sort, donate, and pack, and I'm mostly doing it all myself so it's kind of slow going. I don't have Internet there any more, but I'm back home for a few days and then I'll be going back in a few days.

I'm still using the same desktop I've had for about 4 years now, so no issues with finding favorite files and backups. But I recently splurged on a new gaming notebook in which I installed a 500 GB SSD and IT ROCKS. Can't recommend it enough for TS3. It's such a huge game, so an SSD really shortens the time to load and save. I spent like a week last spring reinstalling all my Store content and favorite worlds on my desktop and this time when I finished I saved a backup of my new TS3 folder before I ever started playing the game. So it only took about 5 hours or so to install the game and all the EPs and SPs on the notebook and after that I just plopped in a copy of my TS3 folder that I had previously saved after my reinstall and I was off playing the game on my new notebook. It's been great because when I go to my house after working all day I like to open up the game and play a little in the evenings. Windows 10 is more than a bit irritating but except for that it's worked out great. Currently I've been replaying a World Adventures adventurer since I really haven't done that that EP came out.

So after you do all that reinstalling, you should consider zipping up your TS3 folder and keeping that somewhere safe. :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    @HappySimmer3 , I don't envy your packing process. Reading about all the moving going on by World Explorers IRL makes my skin crawl, lol. We've been in this house for 28 yrs. and I can't imagine dismantling and packing for a move.

Your post made me LOL. "Only" about 5 hours to install? Ugh, that's what makes me cringe so badly about the process. "Put zipped folder somewhere safe?" I thought I had everything safe and sound but obviously someone, wouldn't want to point finger at DH, undermined my effort :)

Your new laptop with that SSD sounds awesome! It always feels to me like I'm just a wee bit short to get what I want when it comes time to replace equipment, so I settle for the best I can do. That's okay, at least I could get something. Some people don't even have that luxury, so consider myself blessed.

BTW, I saw something in the tech section a while back that said an SSD should never be optimized as it could ruin it. Is that so? Gosh, if my pc had had one, I wouldn't have known that and since Windows installs with optimization turned on could have had a disaster, I guess. I confess I don't really know much about SSD's other than they are supposed to be fast. I presume they are flash based and thus wouldn't need optimization but could be all wet with that presumption, lol. Regardless, I'm glad you are so happy with your SSD. I like seeing you think it "rocks!"
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Hey DD and Tangie - glad to see you both. Nope on all questions DD. Nothing new to report house wise, brother wise, and on DM. Last I spoke with Shelly she had said she was definitely needing to recoup from everything herself - but both of them were doing okay. It was short and sweet. I haven't heard from her since.

Well I have consigned myself to at least another six- eight weeks with no possible new living quarters to view. If worse comes to worse, we have made some really good new friends we actually met through the new Realtors, who tell me we are welcome to check out their Winter rentals after the Summer season and Fall foliage season ends. I may even be able to view some in mid September, but that is about it right now. Pete still has not found any permanent job, but has been doing okay working for himself and getting a fair number of okay bids in some contract work. Had he not allowed his Maine electricians license to lapse, he could have had at least three different perfect jobs here in Maine. So now he is considering getting up the funds and getting that back as soon as he can. But honestly nothing new has changed at all.

My brother - well it is as if he dropped off the face of the earth. I have learned nothing. Neither Massachusetts nor Rhode Island Police seem to be concerned and more or less told me there was nothing they could do - that perhaps it was just a choice of his to disappear and there was no law against that. There does not seem to be any kind of foul play involved - so I guess I am on my own on that. I have kept my New Hampshire phone number just for him - just in case he ever decides to call -

So basically much like Sims 4 - no improvements to this game and none in my life. I am sort of at a stalemate I guess.

But anyway - always - ALWAYS good to hear from all of you here. Always makes me smile.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Great to see you too, WR! Although I'm sorry that things haven't quite turned around for you and Pete yet. Sounds like getting his electrical license back might be a good thing to do, and at least you have some leads on housing for later on.

@DOLLDRMS1 was I've always heard is that you are not supposed to defragment an SSD. Since I can probably count on one hand how many times I've actually done that I'm not too concerned about forgetting! (Yeah I know it's basic maintenance but it used to take such a long, long time to complete on my older laptops that I just kind of stopped doing it. :blush: )

• Options
    YAY - finally got an update from Shelly -

Reg, I hope you are doing well. How's the search for a new home coming along? I'm so sorry for not updating you lately, but I haven't had much time to be online. Everything is going well here and DM is much, much better. His blood pressure has finally stabilized and the only time he has angina is if he tries to do a little too much. I'm still taking care of all of the yard work and the rest of the chores he normally takes care of, so time isn't much of a luxury right now.
    But DM did say to tell you all hello and that he misses getting to chat with you guys on the forums.
    At least football season is starting and that will keep him preoccupied for a few months! LOL

Was so excited to see this tonight and to get back and let you all know -

No other news - but this is always great to see DM improving and Shelly is okay too. Thank goodness - I do worry about how she is doing a lot too. They are both great people as are all of you too. Hugs all around - Reggie

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    @Writin_Reg , thank you so much for updating us. It's so good to know DM is continuing to improve. Oh my, I worry about how much Shelly is handling, too. When my DH had knee surgery last March, at least we had adult kids that pitched in to help with things like yard work. I don't know how I would have made it without their help. Keeping them in my prayers, as always.

I was glad to see your new realtors gave you the bonus benefit of meeting new people. Perhaps enduring such a long wait for a house will mean you finally find the right one at the right price, leastwise, I sure hope so! I'll also continue to pray you finally hear something from your brother.

@HappySimmer3 , hmm, I thought optimization was achieved through defragging. All I know for sure is that in the admin tools in control panel it's called "defragment and optimize your drives", with the only options being analyze and optimize once you're in the menu. That's also where I was referring to the automatic schedule to do this being. My Win 10 has it set up to do this weekly and it must just run in the background. LOL, I do remember the amount of time it used to take when I manually did it years ago but it just isn't the chore it used to be, which is fine with me since I still have an hdd.

Sigh, I still haven't tackled reinstalling TS3. It's still on my to do list.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    @Writin_Reg thanks for the update on DM. That's great that he's doing better, but I feel for Shelly having to do all the yard work. That's not my favorite thing to do for sure, and I'm back at my house right now hoping I can get this place in order soon and get it on the market.

@DOLLDRMS1, considering that it took me about 24 hours to download and install TS4 and I don't even have all the packs, it was actually much faster to install 3. And Im notsure why I even bothered spending all that time and Internet bandwidth, since I've had zero desire to play it and haven't opened it once since I put it on this notebook.

So in comparison 5 hours to install TS3 from the disks was a piece of cake! And like I said, I didn't even have to install any of my Store content because I just used my backup of my TS3 folder that I made after I reinstalled in all again on my desktop last Spring.

Hopefully Win 10 in all its superior knowledge to us silly users knows not to defragment a SSD. :#

• Options
    Hello, world explorers! How is everyone doing?

@DOLLDRMS1 did you ever get 3 reinstalled or have you been playing 4? I've actually been playing an World Adventurer sim in 3. This is the first time I've ever tried to complete all the tombs and all the relic collections. My sim has two more tombs to go in Egypt and I'm dragging my feet since I'm going to try to get him cursed by a mummy so I can see the Sphynx in all its glory. But I'm scared of mummies. :D

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Options
    @HappySimmer3 , Hi Tangie! No, I haven't reinstalled TS3 yet. Since I will also have to redownload all store content, it's going to be a long process and I've had a setback with another back problem. I've played TS4 but only for a couple of hours in the last week or so. I just can't sit for long periods at the computer again. Really sucks that I have to go back to the neurosurgeon next week to see if another surgical solution is necessary. I'm trying to remain optimistic because it honestly scares me silly to think about another surgery. I'm desperately hoping there will be another alternative that can be tried.

In the mean time, they've got me back on pain pills, which I also detest. I have the initial "ahhh" relief when the pain leaves but it's only for a few hours and I detest the way pain pills make me feel. I become so lethargic I can't get anything accomplished. LOL, I guess I need not fear becoming a drug addict. The doctor has to "push" the RX on me and then the family has to "push" me to take them, unless I hit a rough enough spot I feel I have no other choice. My daughter who is a vet says "Mother", in her most disapproving tone, followed by "the whole idea is to stay ahead of the pain, not play catch up!" The way she says it just makes me laugh. Enough about me.

Funny you mention WA. I've been thinking about it so much lately. One of my funniest moments playing the game was the first time I decided to explore a pyramid. It was really late, quiet and dark in the house. I entered a room and 3 mummies exited their sarcophagi. I literally jumped out of my chair, lol. After scraping myself off the ceiling, I beat a hasty retreat out of that pyramid, feeling like I was sweating buckets of blood, lol. Darn it all, I've got to get back to WA. I don't think I ever explored another pyramid so I, too, need to complete all the tombs and relic collections.

I also hope everyone is doing a-ok!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Oh gosh, sorry to hear you're having back trouble again. Your feelings about the pain mess sounds exactly like my mother. She hates the way they make her feel and refuses to take them unless she feels like she must. She's always had back problems but a little over a year ago it just seemed to hit her all at once and she asked me to take her to the emergency room. Turned out it was her back problems, which just decided to get worse all the sudden. They don't even suggest surgery to her, but she would probably refuse if they did. It's hard to see her in such pain all the time, so you have my sympathy.

I played this evening and not only finished Abul Simbel but after returning to the Burning Sands pyramid about four times now I finally found the tomb relic for the tomb collection my sim is adding to the museum. Huzza! That one was really frustrating me because I just could not find it. It was the Sugil for the Tomb of the Rock. I already got the other Sigil there, the Burning Sands one. I actually gave my sim the opportunity (using MasterController) where they have to get torched, soaked, and cursed by a mummy. I really, really don't like the mummies but I want to see the Sphinx light up when your sim begs for a cure for the curse. Wouldn't you know it, my sim finally encountered a mummy at Burning Sands but it was just several hours before his vacation ended so I choose not to instigate anything. Sometimes these WA Opps are a little fragile - so many moving parts! - so I was concerned about my sim getting cursed then having to return home.

I think I'll send him to France next. I've only finished a couple of tombs there but he's level 3 visa and has a lovely vacation home that I've enjoyed "renovating". He needs to work on the French relic collections for the museum.

I've set myself the goal to attempt to experience as many things with TS3 as possible, things that I'd never done before. Which is quite a bit, actually. It's been so fun to experiment with game content and game mods without all those interruptions for patches and new packs. It was exciting to look forward to all the new stuff they kept giving us but it's sure freeing to know that your game is as stable as it's going to get!
    Post edited by HappySimmer3 on

• Options
    edited September 2016
    @HappySimmer3 My heart goes out to your mom. I can empathize with how she must feel.

As a quick update, I saw the neurosurgeon yesterday. No surgery at the moment. The degeneration at the L3 - L4 level not bad enough to warrant it at this time, yay! Not totally out of the woods yet because I've got to now have 2 CT scans to rule out something having gone wrong at the original surgery site, i.e. slipped screw, but he thinks the odds of that are slim. Now on a 3 week course of steroid and muscle relaxers, as well as pain pills so if I come across like a gibbering idiot in the near future I plead a medical reason, lol.

Wow, you got a lot accomplished in WA. Figures about the mummy, lol. When you get that Sphinx to light up please post a pic for me. Even when I get TS3 installed again, I'm sure it's going to take me awhile to see if for myself, lol.

Gosh, you keep reminding me of how many things I left undone with TS3!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Hi :mrgreen:

I'm so happy for you about the update on your back, @DOLLDRMS1 :mrgreen:
    I remember being on those meds for my back but I know for sure not as much pain as you've had over yours :(
    Keep us updated and know we do care and think about ya! All of you. :hugz:

I never got far in WA, @HappySimmer3
    It sounds like you're doing well in there.

I need to make me a list of "Things still to do in TS3." I know there's a LOT. :lol:

Hugz to Everyone :cookie:

*I got official permission (for now) to keep all my accounts- 4, that is. :sssshh: ;)
  • Options
    Ohhhh, cool, @Rflong7! Nice that they relented about that. It would have been a terrible loss to the community to have all your stuff deleted.

Glad that surgery is not needed, @DOLLDRMS1 but I sure hope they can help you with whatever is causing the distress now. Thanks for the kind words for my Mom. Like Rflong said, please keep us posted.

This WA thing I am doing came about because someone on the TS3 forum brought up WA, and I already had a sim that was maxed out athletic and charisma. So it kind of just kept going from there! I understand how this simming stuff is sometimes contagious. :D

I never got this far before, either. I tried to play an explorer when WA came out but the game conked out on me and they were never able to return home from France; I'm a lot wiser and more knowledgeable about how to play (especially using 'save as' often, hehe) and of course the mods are very helpful in preventing problems. And I'm actually playing him in Sunset Valley as his home world which I don't think I've played since the game came out. It's all very nostalgic. Oh! I just remembered - my sim married Jamie Jolina and Morgana Wolff is her boss, so they invited Morgana and Thornton to go to France with them. Morgana got pregnant (I wonder how that happened ;) ) and she just gave birth - to triplets! It will be interesting to see if she and Thornton stay together. :D

I want to try to take some more screenshots of my sim's adventures (including the sphynx!) but I'm not sure when I will get them posted. I've been spending a lot of time at my house 3 hours away to get it into shape to put on the market, and I'm trying really hard to get it done by the end of the month. (I don't have Internet there but I take my laptop and play TS3 in the evenings.) Last week I did get in touch with my realtor friend and she did a market analysis for me, so the process has moved forward a bit. It's just taking time to get everything sorted/packed/donated/trashed. I'm doing it all myself and I lived there 25 years so it's a big job. I'm home for a few days then I'm heading back to work on it some more. But I feel the end is finally getting closer.

• Options
    Greenb70Greenb70 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Hi all...been busy with work stuff mostly.

I too have been enjoying my TS3 quite a bit lately.It's as Tangie said it really is great just to play without worrying what the next patch will break something.
    I have one save game of explorers and I have another I just started playing the stylist career.I actually plan on playing the stylist today so if I remember to take some pictures I'll be back later to post them.
  • Options
    tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Hi everyone!

I have also been enjoying sims 3. I'm attempting to complete the apocalypse challenge ... Hopefully now that there no more Ep's, Sp's, or patches and they are not changing the rules so often ... LOL, I might actually finish it without breaking any of the rules. :smiley:
    whish me luck .... I have been trying to complete this one for a long time... though this is my first attempt in the last 2 years.

waves at rflong :p so glad you are going to keep all of your accounts!

hey DD, just hang in there. I remember those days too. It has taken me a decade to get my back into the condition it is now. After my surgery I was only allowed to sit for 20 minutes at a time and build up to 2 hrs. Now I can sit as long as I want .... though after and hour or 2 in front of the computer I get really stiff. I do lots of stretching exercises every day (it really does help). - good luck with it. I hope you it gets better for you soon <3
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Good luck with your challenge, @tammyjo329! The only challenge I've done the past two years was a short one, and even then I didn't follow the rules. I really just can't do that, I need my own rules! Lol. But I have played some games that have been going on much, much longer than I used to have. There was always something new around the corner so there was lots of starting and stopping in the past. So now I am experimenting and trying this and that and playing with features that I never got around to exploring in depth, and playing games a lot longer. I have three of them right now, with the latest being my Explorer but at some point I will get back to my other saves. I hope you and your family are doing well!

Also hope @DOLLDRMS1 is feeling better and that @Writin_Reg is having better luck finding a suitable rental. Have you closed on your house yet, @Rflong7?

Great to see you drop in too, @Greenb70. Looking forward to seeing your screenshots. I'm hoping to post some of my game too but it will probably be a few weeks til I can do it. I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

• Options
    My word, can't believe I've been away from the thread so long after posting! In my defense, I've been limiting computer time quite a bit. Thank you all for the good wishes. I'm on my last week of the anti-inflammatory drug. If the pain isn't gone when done, it looks like an injection will be necessary...YUK!!!! Since I haven't taken the drug for muscle spasms like I'm supposed to, it may be why I haven't been able to alleviate the pain completely. I just can't. That darn drug totally knocked me out for hours and I remained groggy for hours after waking up. I've managed to take 1/2 pill once a day and even then sleep for at least an hour. I even quit taking the pain pills because of what the muscle relaxers do to me. Goodness but I'm a lightweight where that type drug is concerned.

@Rflong7 et al :) , Woot!!!! You get to keep your accounts! So glad to hear that.

@tammyjo329 , sure hope your challenge goes well. I laugh when I think about how many challenges I've started and quit. Oh, I didn't throw out those saves right away because I just bent the rules, or, threw the rules out the window, lol.

@Greenb70 Good to see you. I'm looking forward to screenshots, too.

@HappySimmer3 Glad your WA save is going so well. I still want to see your screenshots. You'll have to let us know how Morgana and her triplets fair, lol. Also glad to know you feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel for getting ready to put your house on the market. Gads, what an ordeal.

Say guys, I got a notion to clean out some bookmarks tonight and while visiting an old thread that DM had also posted in I was shocked to see his avatar was that of "banned". Does anyone know what the heck happened? I haven't seen him posting anywhere recently and was majorly confused when I noticed. Of course, with limited computer time I could have missed him showing up somewhere on the forums.
  • Options
    Hi :)

Thanks! Yes- I have all my accounts and can use them. Might never but I can. XD

We did buy the house and I'm very slowly doing it up. The master bath is all I have done right now. XD
    I want to my bedroom next - I talked my hubby into letting me Steampunk it :lol: - but since it's near Christmas and the family will be here, I've got to paint and carpet and do the clothes/molding what nots in the guest rooms. :sigh: Too much to do when I'm not that good at it.

:hugz: to Everyone. I hope you're all doing well~ Medical/Houses/Family- Best wishes and wonderful thoughts for us all. :heart:

DM's account did get banned. I think the info is a few pages back. :(
  • Options
    Greenb70Greenb70 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Better late than never I suppose on me posting screenshots.The trouble I run into is mainly that I usually forget to take any. :D
    This is my stylist Lorelei Borgese,she is living in Anne Arbor
    Screenshot-24.jpg

this is just some random zombie who thought my rocker was a nice nap spot,I guess that was better than eating my plants
    Screenshot-27.jpg

The game I am currently playing is in Mesa Valley II and revolves around a sim who has a science degree and an alien girlfriend.I plan on alienating and plantifying the population,or something to that effect.

• Options
    Hi :)

You're Sim is adorable, @Greenb70 Lol~ Zombie on break! :lol:

• Options
    tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Hi Everyone!
    Hope you all had a fun halloween. Love the screenies Greenbe, thanks for sharing :p
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Hey all - you will never believe it - but here it is November and I am still in the camper. It's a real long story plus two of my three sons have been seriously ill - the eldest with a serious staph like infection and diabetes I is off the charts. The middle son even worse who also has diabetes 1 - had 3 kidney stones in one kidney, 1 in the other kidney, and one large stone was stuck in the urethra and tearing it, which caused his right kidney to rupture. He has had 3 surgeries (the first was emergency surgery and they had to fly him to a hospital in Boston) so far last month and is finally stable but neither son is out of the woods yet completely.

As if that was not enough - the son with the staph was told he may lose his leg from the knee down if the antibiotics didn't do something quick, and while he is fighting for his life and his brother fights for his own life, the eldest sons townhouse gets condemned by the city - the whole apartment complex (14 families) was condemned as another apt there caught fire and it was discovered the complex was dangerously not up to code - had no sprinklers, had mickey moused electric wiring (source of the fire apparently), no smoke, fire, or anything else detectors - among another half dozen violations - so every one in the complexes had just days to get out of the apartments (the owner was down in Florida and could not be reached on top of it all. (Ironic Sims 4 comes out with CL and apartments of all things - now of all things). My eldest son has been there since he met and married his wife, had both his daughters there and they were raised there. So it seems not 2 days before this all happened - we finally did get half a duplex apt to rent - was to be ready for us to move in on the 1st - well we gave it to my oldest son and his family - as it was big enough and really too big for us anyway. The new landlord had no issues with it all and in fact knew my daughter - in-laws whole family. Was actually dear friends with her Aunt Linda - so it worked out. She had also heard of what had happened at their apartment complex. So we stayed here and Johnny's family (he did not lose his leg - thank God-) got to come to his new residence on the first.

Johnny was well enough to come to his new home Thursday.

My middle son Allen got transferred back to Portland hospital once they were able to repair the kidney, remove most of the kidney stones - and repair the Urethra - but he has a Urine bag until they are sure the bits of gravel come out and that his repaired kidney functions properly over the week. If everything goes well they should be able to remove the urine bag, remove the shunt, and put him back to normal. Hopefully by the end of the coming week he will get to go back home too.

Needless to say I have not been able to go back to the realtor or do any hunting for us since all this as we had to help Michelle and the girls move - in fact Pete is still traveling to their old place and trying to get what he can of their stuff. My youngest son and his friends have been helping too. So back to looking for us - again. Hopefully Monday we can start again. On top of it Winter is already touching Maine. 25 degrees in the night in a camper. Brrrrrr.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Hi, @tammyjo329 :hugz:

Oh, my Goodness- @Writin_Reg O.O
    What a time you and your family *are having. I'll keep you all in my thoughts. :hugz: :heart:

*verb tense thingy.
    Post edited by Rflong7 on