Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'll show you Mine, if you show me Yours: An inspiration thread!

Comments

• Options
    SnowmoonSnowmoon Posts: 3,437 Member
    edited February 2013
    Springfairy >> So glad you have joined us! Feel free to share any pics or sites too. The more the merrier!

-Evie
    Find my builds under Evie_Snowmoon in the Gallery!
  • Options
    rattbaitrattbait Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2013
    Snowmoon
    No, I didn't know about the 'alt' key; I just learned the right mouse trick. Boy is that helpful for centering shots.
    Well, you showed your fascinating cargo container house so I thought I would post a picture of my restored lighthouse. It is currently owned by Jake Sparrow, member of a family with a long line of active pirates. Being a modern pirate himself, of course he is going for the Master Thief (now 8th level). He's settled in Barnacle Bay and is slowly buying back the town for his family.
    The interior is a mix between a museum and a bordello. It seems pirates have strange taste when decorating. Either that or they don't have enough of any one style in their treasure store to make things blend. The glass enclosure at the top houses two telescopes, both trained on different areas of the surrounding sea.
    I've got the cannons and the anchor, but I'm drawing a blank as to landscaping. Suggestions?

The lighthouse, Sparrow's Nest:
    screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

I do have a copy in the Exchange but it is not a finished copy. I've had trouble putting things up lately and on a whim I tried uploading it - and much to my surprise it went! Once I finish fixing up the mistakes and adding more details I'll delete that one and put up the finished one. I hope to do a story on this one too, but we'll see about that later....
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    snowplow19snowplow19 Posts: 158 Member
    edited February 2013
    Thank you all for the compliments on the pool! Much appreciated :) Here are a few more pics of the house the pool is in.. Pretty large haha

Screenshot-743_zpsa2db3843.jpg
    Screenshot-753_zpsc4691ef2.jpg
    Screenshot-763_zps59ac169e.jpg
    Screenshot-773_zps80c33d5a.jpg
    Screenshot-31_zps082b0732.jpg
    Screenshot-30_zpsfdcaad3b.jpg
    Screenshot-16_zps63f3af00.jpg
    There is still a lot I have to finish on the exterior of this house, but this is what it looks like so far :)

Screenshot-22_zps507c8131.jpg
    Screenshot-21_zpse5e8a182.jpg
    The grand foyer

Screenshot-61_zps37321fec.jpg
    Screenshot-62_zps015d7013.jpg
    Screenshot-63_zpscf386d06.jpg
    Main living room

Screenshot-842_zps9963c2af.jpg
    2nd floor salon (still underway)

Screenshot-872_zpscf26538e.jpg
    Screenshot-882_zps5c7d3ae3.jpg
    Screenshot-42_zps114cde86.jpg
    Screenshot-44_zps8fe0615c.jpg
    Screenshot-792_zps39bc5918.jpg
    Screenshot-803_zps7abb6472.jpg
    Library and Master bedroom. The MB is only a quarter of the size of the entire master suite :D

Screenshot-852_zpsed4e2c12.jpg
    Screenshot-862_zps08be49db.jpg
    Screenshot-742_zps699a61cb.jpg
    Screenshot-752_zps058dd89a.jpg
    Screenshot-762_zps3bd7df74.jpg
    Screenshot-772_zps3f928d68.jpg
    Screenshot-66_zpsfa687ab8.jpg
    Screenshot-67_zpsb656983b.jpg
    Screenshot-68_zpscc166fed.jpg
    Pool house/bar (connected to house), home theater lobby and home theater

Screenshot-56_zps08360cf4.jpg
    Screenshot-35_zpsff9f0fc0.jpg
    Rooftop pavilion and underground supercar showroom

That's all for now! I'll post more as I go along, this house has roughly 103 rooms so there's quite a bit left to finish haha
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,653 Member
    edited February 2013
    I just had to pop into this thread and say Wow! @ snowplow19 what a grand build! And 103 rooms in it! It looks really great!! :)

I like the inspiration links you have posted too. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks rosemow! This place is taking a looong time :P haha
  • Options
    KylieS21KylieS21 Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited February 2013
    Snowmoon, this is a fantastic idea for a thread and I love some of the links posted so far. Very handy.

snowplow19...I love what you have so far. I especially love your pool areas. You've done an excellent job with both the interior and exterior, can't wait to see the finished product.

Here's my current wip

Screenshot-1646_zpsb52351dd.jpg

I'm attempting to do my own version of Croft Manor, the later one based on hatfield house.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Kylie :) Your build looks excellent! Love the look of the brick with the grey stone. Is this the version of Croft Manor or the Hatfield House? I'm not very familiar with either. What windows are those (the arched ones at the bottom), I really like them! Nice job so far
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited February 2013
    WOW! I am so enjoying this thread. :D Thanks Snow for starting this thread. *Hugs* Hope you can get the new set soon.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    snowplow19 wrote:
    Thanks Kylie :) Your build looks excellent! Love the look of the brick with the grey stone. Is this the version of Croft Manor or the Hatfield House? I'm not very familiar with either. What windows are those (the arched ones at the bottom), I really like them! Nice job so far

Technically its both. Hatfield house was used for the exterior of Lara Crofts home in the films and more recent games.

The windows on the bottom are a bit of an illusion. They are the arches from Monte Vista with the pedro window behind them.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Snowmoon wrote:

steampunk-boots-for-women.png

-Evie

I WANT THESE SHOES!!!
  • Options
    NofravellNofravell Posts: 975 Member
    edited February 2013
    Ohh Fun thread, bookmarked :D
  • Options
    k2m1took2m1too Posts: 3,128 Member
    edited February 2013
    Snowmoon wrote:
    I will update links after work. Boy, that hour went fast!

And some inspiration:

containercity1.jpg

Evie/Snow : :shock: :!: Somehow I missed this, and your thread! (I'm so terrible about getting over to the forums these days...) You know how I *love* container moderns!

For those of you that want to give the style a whirl: Containers come in 2 general sizes in RL - 8' x 20' and 8' x 40'. And what I normally use in-game is 4 x 8 and 4 x 16 respectively. They are a whole lot of fun to do!

Edit: And I desperately wish that we had those windows!!!

Edit 2: After starring at this picture for a while... I think I would actually do 4 x 20 for each "container" to get the spacing even. I think the whole house would come in at around 20w x 40 deep and 5 stories - that'd be pretty darn big.

And... Not having anything to do with container moderns, but inspiration in general, I give you: http://www.archdaily.com/

If you love modern architecture, you will get lost there for hours (days). :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Just a quick run in - I will post more later. =)

Some music inspiration because I got the 70s, 80s and 90s pack.

Aqua - Back to the 80s - Really excellent fan made video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-EUDBV6Kmo

*waves to everyone*
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    rattbait >> Hrm... Have you thought of a beach/sand instead of grass? You could make it look like it is close to the coast, with some raised terrain and rocks. Put in some Palm Trees and maybe a put water towards the edge with fishing? I don't have BB, so I'm not sure of the landscaping, so the beach theme may not work as well. I really like the look, the Sparrows must have fun! I wish they would give us more throw pillows and heavy velvet looking objects! Would be fun. There is a funny song out there, a "feat" between Lonely Island and Michael Bolton about Jack Sparrow. It has some vulgar language, so I don't want to post and offend anyone, but I find it funny. I love Jack and he would be a fun family to play. All should have insane, for sure! On the top floor of the light house, did you think of putting a 2x2 pool? That would be fun. =)

snowplow >> Such a lovely home. I wouldn't have the attention span to handle 103 room - my Everest Peaks in my studio burned me out and it was only under a million. How long have you been working on this beauty? I also love the inspiration links and I will update later tonight!

rosemow >> Welcome! Thank you for stopping by! I hope you stick around and have fun. *passes you some tea*

KylieS >> Welcome and I am glad you are finding our thread useful! So happy you have joined us. Your home looks amazing. Lara Croft has always been a guilty pleasure. I could never play the games, but I enjoyed the movies. I can't wait for the new Game, it looks so slick. I think it comes out soon. I hope they keep the old home. As for the shoes, I know. I love them too, but they would kill my old bones! I am thinking of getting "into" steampunk lore. It is very interesting.

yanti >> You are welcome! I think I am going to start to set aside 20 dollars a month just for my sims stuff. My BF is really understanding, so we'll see.

Nofravell >> Hello there! Glad you are joining us!

k2 >> *hands you tea with a "kick"* Howdy Lady! So glad you have joined us. I am hoping you share some of your poses with us, too.
  • Options
    illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    edited February 2013
    I have several WIP going on at the moment. I think later this week I´ll post some pictures. Right now all of them need a lot of imagination to see what I am making ;) They need just a bit more more before they are ready for a preview screenshot. If anyone is interested I could post some later this week or next week.

Something I still want to learn is how to build second empire victorian homes. I like the roofing, but so far have not been able to make something in that style. Here is an inspiration picture of that style:

[img]http://blog.oregonlive.com/homesandgardens/2007/11/b.2ndempire.jpg "width=350"[/img]

Evie, I never used music to inspire me to build something. It is a great idea.
    Those shoes you found look great! If only we had those in the sims...
    I bet they would not like you and your camera over at some housesin Hollywood lol
    Evie, that is a funny clip you posted.

Rattbait, looks great so far! There was a lighthouse competition a long time ago, maybe you can find some inspiration there for your lighthouse? It has some more general tips for lighthouses.
    I agree with Evie. Sand and palmtrees might be great for it.
    With the fog emitter you can add lighthouse beam light if you´d like. Or add seagulls.
    I have build a pirate themed bar a while back. I know it is something different than your lighthouse, but maybe you can get some inspiration from it? More pictures can be found here.

[img]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff465/Illusie_Sims/pirate/CH12.jpg "width=350"[/img]

Snowplow19, your house is just amazing! I bet it took you a long time to build it. You have eye for details, which makes it even better. Awesome job.

KylieS21, I like the style of your WIP. I love how you used the greenhouse roof there. Looks really beautiful so far!

k2m1too, thanks for the link to the inspiration pictures. Looks interesting.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    illusie wrote:
    yanti68 wrote:
    YAY! LOL! :D I am glad I am not the only one too Illusie! :lol:

Yah! ::high fives:: lol

*High Fives* :D:D:lol: *Hugs*

Your pirate themed ship looks AMAZING! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: LOVE it! I am quite inspired by it. Also the lighthouse theme sounds appealing. Been thinking about building a residential lighthouse myself. Are the fog emitter cheats working again? :?:
  • Options
    illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    edited February 2013
    yanti68 wrote:

Your pirate themed ship looks AMAZING! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: LOVE it! I am quite inspired by it. Also the lighthouse theme sounds appealing. Been thinking about building a residential lighthouse myself. Are the fog emitter cheats working again? :?:

Thank you! It was fun to build the pirate ship :D It was a gift for a friend who loves pirates.

I yet have to build a residental lighthouse. It has been on my to build list for a long time. Maybe I should have a go at it sometime soon.

I wasn´t aware there was a problem with for emitter cheats. I hope there are no problems with it. Maybe we should just try it. What kind of problems were there?
  • Options
    k2m1took2m1too Posts: 3,128 Member
    edited February 2013
    illusie >> I don't know exactly what is wrong with fog emitters, but apparently when Seasons came out (or was it Supernatural), it "broke" the fog emitter in some way. But I don't know in what way. :?: Anyway, that pirate ship is pretty cool!

Most of the buildings on ArchDaily have floor plans too and it is updated constantly with new stuff.

(BTW, most folks just call me "k2" and occasionally "kami", though I'm not sure how the latter got started.)

Evie >> (I'm so used to calling you Snow from "that other thread" Haha) Anyhoo... Thanks for the vid link! I got a good chuckle from it! And those boots are freaking cool!

As for sharing my poses, sure I can do that! You can see one of them on my current avatar. It's part of a collection of "closeup" poses that I just finished up. (Still waiting for MTS to start accepting new uploads so I can release them.) And here is one I just started the other night (Still very much a WIP, so feel free to critique!)

Screenshot-30.jpg

And here is a couple from a modeling collection I'm working on (also still in the WIP stage):

ModelingPosesWIP01.jpg
  • Options
    rattbaitrattbait Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2013
    I've done some tinkering with my lighthouse landscaping.

topdown
    screenshot_original.jpg

behind house is the new lighthouse
    screenshot_original.jpg

to the left of the front is a waterfall
    screenshot_original.jpg

to the right is the inlet/outlet to the sea
    screenshot_original.jpg

Evie
    As you can see, I did put some sand in the front area, but the lot is located on a cliff area, not close to a shoreline so I nixed the palm trees. All that is up here is hardwood trees. The spotted yellow tree is a willow that is on the small plot of land in the pond.
    I always like to put a pond on my lots if they are large enough and this one just squeaked in. Supernatural has a tapestry that you can edit, so that gives some plush wall coverings.
    Your suggestion about Jack's family gave me an idea. Jack's ghost has come to live with Jake, to see what has become of his whatever-generation offspring. I've never played a ghost and he does the strangest things. I don't use insane - I just use eccentric.
    I can't put a pool on the top floor since all the floors are useable rooms! The room below is a den with juice bar and leather furniture, the room below that is a gym. Elevators are so nice.

illusie
    Thanks for the comment. I'm not using it as a lighthouse, just that it once was a lighthouse. There is a lighthouse in BB not far from this lot (see above).
    Some of the lighthouses from that site you linked don't work any more, but I will go through what is there. I did download and rec your bar; you do some very nice work!
    I know that the fog worked with Supernatural but I haven't checked since I added Seasons. The fog surrounded my Black Tower but wouldn't pass the moat. Others of my houses on ground level had the fog enter the buildings!

EDIT:
    I managed to get a bland, unfurnished version up on the Exchange, but the furnished version refuses to go - don't know why.

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited February 2013
    Wow, I can tell I will get lost in this thread for hours! :D Don't have the time now, but I'm bookmarking it. I see some amazing WIPs coming along and some great info & inspirations. Thanks for creating this, Snow. :thumbup: I'll be back! :wink:
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited February 2013
    k2m - I luuurve those poses, especially the couple one. I'm always in the market for new poses! Great job! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    illusie wrote:
    yanti68 wrote:

Thank you! It was fun to build the pirate ship :D It was a gift for a friend who loves pirates.

I yet have to build a residental lighthouse. It has been on my to build list for a long time. Maybe I should have a go at it sometime soon.

I wasn´t aware there was a problem with for emitter cheats. I hope there are no problems with it. Maybe we should just try it. What kind of problems were there?

It is very impressive Illusie! Your pirate ship I mean. :D That would be one of my future project too. :D I hope you build a residential lighthouse. Can't wait to see it.

Yes just like K2 said, there is a problem with the fog emitter codes now. It is not working anymore. Hopefully a future patch/ep will fix that. *Fingers crossed* :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    K2 - It is great to see your poses in this thread. I love it! So romantic. :D

Rattbait - Your lighthouse is looking nice. Good start. :D

Snow - I do the same thing too. I keep a bit of money aside every month for sims. Been saving up for the new world now. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Evie! Yea I have somewhat of an obsession with enormous homes haha I just hit the 1 million simoleon (sp?) mark for unfurnished on this house, and depending on the vehicle choice, this house ranges a furnished price of over 3-5 million, and I still have to complete the basement and half of the 2nd and 3rd floor :) I've been working on this house since a little after Christmas (that's when I got the game) I figured I would just try to pour as much as I could into my first home and not care how long it took me :P I'll be doing smaller mansions in the future; combinations of French chateaus and modern, Mediterranean style, and maybe a few full blown modern homes (although I've never much cared for that style). I'm in the process of changing the exterior look of the house a bit. I think the stone is too busy and I'm not satisfied with the grandness of the front of the home haha I'll post before and afters when its done, but here's the inspiration pic of what I kinda want to accomplish

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/versailles-in-virginia-not-being-built_n_1471881.html