Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'll show you Mine, if you show me Yours: An inspiration thread!

Comments

• Options
    SnowmoonSnowmoon Posts: 3,437 Member
    edited February 2013
    I will be back soon to post, comments.

First, though, music inspiration toay. And, no I do not mean it in a religious manner. I love Aqua and then Lene (the lead singer) is gorgeous and am always meaning to do a sim off of her. So, here is some music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0ayTZi7Xjw

Find my builds under Evie_Snowmoon in the Gallery!
  • Options
    rattbaitrattbait Posts: 83 Member
    edited February 2013
    I built this house a while ago. This shows that I like 'lively' interiors. I've remade this house several times, but the interior is basically the same.

Alice 01

Alice_lives_here-01.jpg
    It was done as a personal challenge, to make a workable 6x6 house.
    It is built on a 15 x 20 lot and has a basement, two stairways, and balcony.
    The largest area used is 10 x 10 (ground floor)
    The smallest size you can use for stairs is 1 x 6 blocks.
    The stairways are built one over the other. If not done in the proper order they will not work. I've used the house - they work!
    The bedroom is a visual nightmare, on purpose.
    All I need is a white rabbit....
    The slideshow is here:
    http://903j.net/Sims3Alice-6/index.html

Snowmoon
    Enjoy!

chaoskishin
    Oh, so much better. The contrast and color from the flowers and paintings brightens the rooms. I can see the kitchen is next. Maybe add another counter to the left of the stove so you can put a microwave in the corner? My guys can't live without one. I have one guy who's never cooked a meal, and he's 10th level [mad] scientist and 10 level alchemist so far.

rosemow
    Yeah, I checked that site out but it wasn't there.
    I think I have the secret to the soil staying around the house. It has to do with keeping 1 row of foundation at the base. Once you change a block to a wall, the soil shifts away. By keeping the one block all the shifting is contained within the foundation block!

And, here's my abandoned house in very rough mode:

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    chaoskishinchaoskishin Posts: 15 New Member
    edited February 2013
    rattbait wrote:
    And, here's my abandoned house in very rough mode:

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

I just love abandoned buildings, so I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this one.

Thank you, everyone, for all the suggestions and comments you've been giving me. I don't think it would be looking this good without you.
  • Options
    snowplow19snowplow19 Posts: 158 Member
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Yanti and rosemow! @Rattbait, haha yea I guess it is more like a mountain mansion :P As far as the roof, I'm somewhat at a loss for the color and style...most log mansions I've seen have a sort of grey look to them, and I thought about doing a green roof but that will probably make it look like a Bass Pro Shop or Lincoln Logs haha. Did you have anything in mind?

I've been overhauling the color and look of the front of the other mansion, I wanted to make it a tad more French looking (see Champ D'Or) and get away from the heavy rock look. I haven't done this to the entire house yet because I wanted to make sure it worked so not all the windows have been trimmed and colored, pillars still need to be rearranged and the roof needs more work, especially around the big dome at the top. But this is the gist of it...

Screenshot-903_zps214b3380.jpg
    Screenshot-853_zpsdce808e8.jpg
    Screenshot-863_zps5ed42a4d.jpg
    Screenshot-884_zps8569bb33.jpg
    Screenshot-893_zps440f7eb6.jpg

I'll be uploading pics of the ballroom soon :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Champ D'Or estate...

http://www.luxist.com/2007/12/20/chhamp-dor-sold/
    http://www.updatedallas.com/2012/05/21/champ-dor-buyer-revealed/

Side note: Although this house has a similar build to mine, I did not base mine off of it...I actually just discovered this place last week haha I love this place though, incredible architecture and design both inside and out
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,652 Member
    edited February 2013
    That looks realy great @ snowplow19 ! :) I went back in this thread and had a look at the changes in colour and look you made, and i like what you have done. It does look more French themed and the changes do work well. I will lok forward to seeing picturs of the ballroom!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thank you rosemow! :) I'll upload the kitchen and ballroom sometime tonight
  • Options
    JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited February 2013
    This is my current inspiration. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG92NUXKzZ0
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    snowplow
    I played with some different combinations and depending on how set you are on the stone and log colors, the best choice I think for what you have would be the wood shingles.
    But if you wish to adjust the colors of either one or both (I think I have the same stone as you used) see below:

screenshot_original.jpg

The top two samples have the practical terra cotta roof; the one on the left has the grey choice of the log pattern while the right has a darkened version of the log pattern you are using.
    The bottom left is using the wood shingle roof but I changed the wood used for the logs, giving it a different brown that coordinates more with the stone. The bottom right is keeping the log pattern and changing the stone to the brown version, still using the wood shingle roof. This one I don't like as much; I'd alter the colors they used for the browns of the stone.
    I really prefer to tone down the redwood log pattern or using a different brown like in the lower left. In real life the redwood color would look too new, and redwood goes grey after several years. The wood roofing shingles are one of the sturdiest roofing materials you can get, very appropriate for the wilderness. I just wish EA would offer a grey version of the wood shingles. Or the mossy roof they use for derelict buildings.
    But then, we are doing our imagination, not real life, eh? So these are just suggestions, feel free to totally ignore - I won't mind.
    One other thing I did notice is that you seem to have quite a few roof piecing lines. Are they necessary? They don't seem to be changing the angle of the slope, and it breaks the clean line of the roof.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Wow rattbait, thank you for the in depth response! Very much appreciated :)The wood shingles seem the right way to go. As far as the wood and rock look go, I was shooting for something in this family...
    Montana-exterior_zps91321f9c.jpg
    I'll probably get rid of those lines in the roof, currently there is a all behind them where I was hoping to put an attic area..but I don't think that'll work out haha Thanks again for the response! I'll switch my roof when I go back to that map :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The ballroom still isn't finished yet, but in the meantime, here's the main kitchen of the house. Inspired by Clive Christian designs..

Screenshot-904_zps3183975c.jpg
    Screenshot-854_zps5b3d3992.jpg
    Screenshot-885_zpseac5abda.jpg
    Screenshot-894_zps63ed563e.jpg
    Screenshot-864_zpsfb38dc3b.jpg

Inspiration...
    CliveChristianHandpaintedKitchen4_zps5f38aa29.jpg
    clive_christian_luxury_kitchen_zpsd3c43a9f.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    New avi time! I have too much fun making new avi's, but I think this model will be the one I use from now on. She is my character I connect with most. Zmmy is a nickname a good friend me. But anyway...

Evening!

-Evie
  • Options
    will2586will2586 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hiya Snow!

I should have something to post here for my entry for Bry's Single Story Comp. soon. I am still rethinking it but I hope I can have something as I haven't been able to get anything to this thread yet! :lol:

~Will :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    snowplow >> Just amazing! Nice MOO work on the kitchen. Veru smooth lines; they are a pain to get "just right". Bravo!

-Evie
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks evie :) MOO+the Alt key is like my best friend while building haha Very, very handy!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    @snowplow

There was no way I was going to make a suggestion without checking to see if it looked good first. It wouldn't be very nice to offer a suggestion that wouldn't solve anything, would it?
    With your idea picture I can see I was on the right track with softening the wood color. And it will be a bit of work, but I'm sure you can alter the stone to complement the wood. And save it after you get it right for future use. Brown stone is hard to do. I have several variations saved.
    I've done a fake attic in some of my places. You just put walls where they don't interfere with the roof but can be seen through the windows, paint or paper them, throw in a chair or two (it will show when you are on that level), and put a light near the windows.

That kitchen is looking good!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    rattbait >> I love sitting for hours in CAstyle. I just recently started to save my patterns. Stone is difficult and I feel they could give us some better patterns.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    chaoskishin >> With shelving on the second floor, I would cut that back just a bit. Maybe use a bookshelve or two with MOO. Sometimes you can get come fun combos with bookcases and dressers; you can place a number of items on the dressers. A blank wall is perfect too, so don't feel you need to cover every wall. I leave a few blank so I can add pictures and other such items as my sims grow. I do think you are doing a great job!!

Jessabeans >> That is fun music and beautiful! Of Monster and Men, I think, is from Iceland. I love their music too. I want AS soon. I am just waiting a bit. Hehe.

Rattbait >> Those cabins in the woods are great. It is cool to see you building it from the inspiration.

snowplow >> One of these times, I'll ask you to build me a shell and I'll go crazy on the inside, but we'll wait until I'm not working on a few comps. Hehe.
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited February 2013
    Snowplan - That is one gorgeous mansion! Impressive architecture! Looks huge! I imagine it will take you days to decorate all the rooms. Great stuff! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Rattbait - I like your abandones cabin very much. Beautifully rustic. :-)

Chaoskishin - I like the changes. :-) One suggestion though. There are too many flowers on the wall shelves. If you replace 2 of them with something else it would look more realistic and balanced.

Love that picture of the log cabin. Always wanted to build one. :D Wish we had more than 24 hours in a day! :lol: So much to do and so little time.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Rattbait, thanks again for the feedback :) I'll tool around with coloring the stones to get a brownish grey look like in the picture and what you were showing as well. I'm still getting used to roofing, but I'll try what you said about attic walls. Thank you very much for the help!

Evie, sounds fun! I'll be starting a few different projects, so those will be shells for a while. They'll probably range from modern-Mediterranean, chateau, ultra-modern, and french inspired mansions. I'll post them as I do them and you can either choose from one of those or ask for one of your own :)

Thanks again rosemow! @Yanti, Thank you :) haha yea it's quite big, It sometimes takes a day or two just for one room depending on its size. I've got around 70-80 of the 103 rooms furnished. I'll get the ballroom, dining room, master lobby, and gym/lobby up sometime today
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    More pics! These are of the dining room and the dining lounge. Like the kitchen, the dining room is also Clive Christian inspired.

Screenshot-865_zps02239986.jpg
    Screenshot-886_zpsced9d470.jpg
    Screenshot-895_zps5319e5a2.jpg
    Screenshot-905_zps756d45ac.jpg
    Screenshot-913_zps7882507a.jpg
    Screenshot-923_zpsa6d071cb.jpg
    Screenshot-933_zps24c0ead7.jpg
    I plan on changing the rug to match the room a bit better, it's still in the style from the previous version.
    -Inspiration-
    yuyuyuuy_zps397e2557.jpg

Dining lounge area...
    Screenshot-94_zps1d2ea107.jpg
    Screenshot-95_zps94a8e5ac.jpg
    Screenshot-96_zpsb5e8859e.jpg
    Screenshot-97_zps9e95b9b3.jpg
    Screenshot-98_zps2cea8359.jpg
    Screenshot-99_zps8d9d0068.jpg
    Screenshot-100_zps67ef8f9a.jpg
    In this room, the owner keeps his many music production awards and prized instruments. Guests can collect here until diner or play pool in the billiard lounge (still in progress) in the next room.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,652 Member
    edited February 2013
    @ snowplow19
    I very much keep enjoying the updates that you provide all of us of your build! Very well done with the dining room and dining lounge!! Thanks so much for sharing the photos! :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thank you rosemow! :) You're feedback is always very appreciated!
  • Options
    KylieS21KylieS21 Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited February 2013
    Snowplow, I'm consistantly blown away by this build. I love the way you used MOO around the fireplace and around the TV in the sitting area. Beautiful. I find myself taking mental notes with each new screenshot.