Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't Start Game Process.

Comments

• Options
    STEGA18STEGA18 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited September 2012
    So I turned off my wifi and the game started up. :shock:
    I am excited, but I would like to also state that EA is doing something because when I opened my launcher before I turned off my wifi, it didn't have the oops no internet dude on it. It has been like that for over a week since the update. So it is clearly an EA server issue. :roll:

Anywho I hope the issue is finally resolved so that we can play it normally, soon. :-)

• Options
    MandaksauceMandaksauce Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    So crazy we are all having the same problem. I have a mac and am facing this aggravating issue as well. I got it to work once I turned my internet off but I really wanted to download some cc.. It can wait I guess. But this is annoying and just wanted to join the ranting :)
  • Options
    ChemicalwibsChemicalwibs Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited September 2012
    Even if we can still play the game with no internet connection on, they still want us to be able to buy and download stuff from the store. So it is really in their best interest to fix this as soon as possible :mrgreen:
    wibsandthesims.tumblr.com
  • Options
    marvelistsmarvelists Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Hi new to the forum. Been having the same issue/error all day. Tried restating my computer, dumping cache, everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling. Finally just disconnected from the Internet and the game launched but crashed out as soon as it was fully loaded. I never log in to play and don't buy content in-game so this is particularly frustrating to know it's an issue on EA's end that they don't seem inclined to assist with.

Edited to add it crashed out when I tried to play a saved game but worked fine when I started a new one.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    ZoopaaZoopaa Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Ok... After reading all of this, I was able to turn off my wi-fi, and start the game with success. After this, I was able to go out and turn my wi-fi back on and log into EA via the game. So it appears that the file that the game is initially looking for (the xml file) is not available, or is corrupted.

Hope this helps someone!

Happy SIMing!

• Options
    mandie1989mandie1989 Posts: 5
    edited September 2012
    I'm having trouble with this

Can someone give me an answer

I installed and played it just fine
    Went to bed, woke up the next morning and hasn't played since..
    I didn't do any updates and still nothing
    Did updates, still nothing

Tried bypassing the launcher.. Still nothing

What a waste of money if you can't even play this?
  • Options
    MoshrumMoshrum Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys,
    I did the live chat thing with ea today and they told me (as you all can tell by now) that this was an issue Mac users were having as of today and that they didn't contact the studios directly so they don't know when an estimated time or day for a solution would arive. But they do know about it.

In other news, by disconnecting from the Internet (I have the downloaded version) I've finally been able to play! I know for some this suggestion doesn't work but it seems to me it is an issue with the sims3 server communicating something glitchy to our games.

Good luck
  • Options
    alyncalync Posts: 32
    edited September 2012
    Most of my EP/SP's are digital downloads and I was just able to play by disabling wifi. As I noted earlier, it didn't become a problem until I added the showtime EP when I was reinstalling everything. That's exactly when the whole internet enabled hoopla stuff started in game (with simport and facebook and the profile connections yada yada). Makes sense that it is something with EA's server. Speaking of which, I haven't been able to get on the forums for a few weeks on chrome. I can only access through safari. Is anyone else more technically capable than I who might be able to draw a connection between these two things? My default browser is set to chrome.
  • Options
    mandie1989mandie1989 Posts: 5
    edited September 2012
    Okay
    Definitely got to do with Internet
    I took my cord for my Internet and voila it worked
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited September 2012
    Have you tried bypassing the launcher? (I'm on my pc now and don't want to turn on my mac and be frustrated tonight.)

To bypass the launcher on a mac, you need to edit your .app.

To do so, go to your Applications and find your latest EP/SP. You'll most probably find an alias (with a little hooked arrow in front of the icon). Right-click and select 'Chose Original'. You'll get a list of all the original SP/EPs you have.

Right click on the newest EP/SP icon and select 'show package contents'.

In the Contents folder, there's a file called info.plist - copy this file and save the copy somewhere as a back-up.

Now open the file - it should open in a text editor.

Find this line:

<string>c:\Program Files/Electronic Arts/latest EP or SP/Game/Bin/S3Launcher.exe</string>

change S3Launcher to TS3W

Save your info.plist.

Clicking your .app should now directly start the game, bypassing the launcher.

If you need to access the launcher, you can do so from the start menu (it's one of the options).

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited September 2012
    This is odd that all of a sudden you're all having the same problem. Have you tried turning your Wifi off before you load the game? Are you playing logged in?

I asked this back on page 2 and some of you answered saying it made no difference, yet actually it does?

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    RANCIDRANCID Posts: 500 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I too am having this issue. How obnoxious!

Will try the turning off internet/wifi suggestion.

Hope this is commented on/resolved by EA, so ridiculous

EDIT: turning off the internet/wifi has worked
  • Options
    girbgirlgirbgirl Posts: 5
    edited September 2012
    This is odd that all of a sudden you're all having the same problem. Have you tried turning your Wifi off before you load the game? Are you playing logged in?

I asked this back on page 2 and some of you answered saying it made no difference, yet actually it does?

I think they thought you meant strictly wifi and not other internet sources such as ethernet.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    girbgirl wrote:

I think they thought you meant strictly wifi and not other internet sources such as ethernet.

Really? My fault for not being clear enough then :?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    girbgirl wrote:

Really? My fault for not being clear enough then :?
    Being online is the one guaranteed thing we all have in common.

Doesn't surprise me that the game likes to phone home. Information is money!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    rainetreynarainetreyna Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Hi all. I am seriously stumped and frustrated. I have only had my Macbook for about a year and I am still learning what everything means. I don't do much on my macbook except check emails and play the sims 3. Have had the same issue - overnight, unable to play the sims. I had uninstalled and reinstalled several times before reading this forum so now I know that that was a waste of time, especially since I have lost all my downloaded content. I have only loaded the sims 3 (no expansion packs) on my laptop at the mo. Have tried turning off my wi-fi, plus I deleted all the files as outlined by user: bluebell, to no avail. What should I try now cos I am on holiday and was planning on playing the sims while away. Argh!!!!!! My computer did the update the other night and initially I thought that was why I was having problems with the sims. Now I know from all your posts that it must be EA games.
    The game is letting me start up, create a family, then choose a house/land etc, but then when it starts to load the game, it just crashes, or crashes as soon as the game has loaded so I can't even quickly save the family I have just created.
    Please tell me what to do so I can just play. I am having withdrawals big time.
    Thanks
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2012
    So, EA has not solved this yet ... ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    mintnorth2424mintnorth2424 Posts: 195 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Ok so to refresh, this is what I sent to EA.
    Yesterday I played my game with minimal standard issues. I have the Sims 3 base game, pets, generations and supernatural. Today, I go to play and I get the Can't Start Game Process. I play on a Mac. I have done no updates since the last time I was able to play the game. The game itself did not update either. It was already up to date. I am not the only one with this issue on mac. On the forums many people have the same issue. It can be found here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/593688.page#9529112
    Restarting my Mac, deleting the cashe files, removing my sims 3 folder in documents and trying to let it repopulate, using 0 mods and 0 custom content and completely uninstalling and reinstalling does nothing to fix the problem.
    I would really like to play my game again. After spending a lot of money on it I feel I am entitled to play what I payed for. So please help fix the problem. But also take note to what I have already tried. Thank you.

This is the response I got.
    Hello {mintnorth24},

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

If I am getting this correct, you are experiencing problem while launching the game and have tried all the possible troubleshooting steps to get this resolve.

To get this sorted out, please ensure that you have manually updated the patch for the game. You may update the patch from the below-mentioned link:

Patch 1.38 - Sims 3
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/549552.page

Please let me know if the issue persists. I will be glad to help you out.

Electronic Arts appreciates your efforts and involvement in our Games and take this opportunity to express our gratitude. You may access our online knowledgebase on: http://help.ea.com/

Sincerely,
    Arup
    Electronic Arts- World Wide Customer Experience

I'm sorry, did I not state that my game was already up to date?????

This is my reply.
    As clearly stated in my request for assistance, my game is already up to date. I am now very curious as to how so many Mac users are suddenly experiencing the same problem. It seems that if multiple people are experiencing the same problem all of a sudden at the same time, it would be a much larger problem somewhere else. I would really like to be able to play my game soon. Thank you.

Hopefully thats not to harsh!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    @mintnorth2424 - surely you didn't actually expect a reply from a human being did you? ;)

@crinrict - surprisingly....... no. But then a 'guru' hasn't even bothered to acknowledge it on this thread either. I'm sure if this was affecting Windows users in the same way a fix would have been found by now..... Thanks for your support, as always :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2012
    I feel your pain.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    SimNowSimNow Posts: 222 Member
    edited September 2012
    yoda65 wrote:
    There is definitely some server/online issue going on here. Like I mentioned earlier I'm in the process of re-installing. I'm re-installing each EP/SP in order of release and patching after each install. I run in to an issue with WA, which is the first EP - after installing and trying to launch I get a message that there is an update as expected. I click OK and I get the "an unknown error occurred" message". After that I can't launch WA again, so I try launching the base game instead and it tells me that there is a WA update again. I click yes to install the update but nothing happens. I do this dance a few times before uninstalling WA and re-installing it, then finally after a few more tries the dang update installs. Oh, and I also got the lovely "the game process could not be started" once during all of this. It's gonna be a long night if this is going to happen with each EP installation... :?
    What a pain! I can't imagine reinstalling ALL again, good luck Chemicalwibs! :cry:
    it seems logical that nothing works, even reinstalling all, if the game can not do anything without communicating with the server, reinstall games or Store items, playing … Nothing works without the authorization server must send normally.
    this is not a step forward for us players on Mac but a punishment! :evil:

Yes, and of course my drive wouldn't accept the only EP have on disc anymore, so I just bought the DD of Ambitions as well and now I'm waiting for that to finish downloading. When that's done I think I'll call it a night and continue this tomorrow. And maybe this issue will be fixed then. Though I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure!

Just a quick thought, you could try just installing all the games without updating each one. I reinstalled earlier this year and I'm sure that's what I did, which seemed to work better than updating each time. I did install with the disks though.
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited September 2012
    Morning all! I will check the situation with my game when I get home this evening. In the meantime I thought I would just clarify (in response to some of the questions that people have asked on this thread since last night) that I am in the UK, I have everything on DVDs (no digital downloads at all), I usually leave my internet connected when I play but I don't log in. Tonight if the error hasn't been solved I'll try with the internet disconnected.

Just to add: Bluebell did suggest disconnecting from the internet way back on page 2, but since I was able to get my game up and running as long as I ignored the error message, I didn't try playing offline yesterday. Also it was my bedtime :-)

Sounds as though the EA servers are anti-Mac doesn't it!

Post edited by Unknown User on
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited September 2012
    Lizardlove wrote:
    Now the strange thing is that I am able to play the game, without logging in, but frequently the game will *flash* or make strange colorations appear on the screen. Of course I didn't want my computer to crash and have something horrible to happen, because I have too many important things to do on my computer to loose it all for the sake of playing a glitchy game.

Hello, Greetings, Bonjour and the like!

Fairly new to the forums, as well as The Sims. Since I had been lurking for quite some time, I figured that it was high time that I get active here since I am a Mac user. I became addicted back in June of this year, however I have quickly adapted to being punished for using a Mac. I've used Mac for years (first Apple product was Macbook Pro, mid-2007 model). Hell, I actually own a Power G5, but I just use it for harddrive space and listening to music and watching movies via Home Sharing :mrgreen:

I currently own the early-2011 model, 10.7.5, Lion. I have yet to update to Mountain Lion, as I've been too lazy to do so.

I own all of the EPs and SPs, except for Katy Perry (as I find it to be ridiculous as well as useless for any of my Sims). I have both DVDs and DDs.

The reason I quoted Lizardlove's post is that I also noticed, after the Supernatural DD I bought from Amazon early Sunday night, that "strange colorations" did indeed appear on the screen during my first run of the game. Now, I will state that I updated the game BEFORE I installed Supernatural and the game played perfectly fine. I updated it back when it was released. I had no problems with it. As soon as I installed Supernatural, strange colorations would appear in the middle of my screen. Once that happened, I changed my settings to a lower quality and it appeared to go away. I continued playing as normal, getting the regular freezing and lagging after a good 45 minutes to an hour of gameplay. Once I saw it got a bit late into the evening, I shut the game down and put my Macbook to sleep for the night.

I wake up Monday morning to see the "Game process.." box, the 4 loading bubbles in my dock, and error that read: "Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000014 at address 0x10271a3b." My Launcher works fine, although it had the "Opps" guy for going on two weeks before the 1.38 update. Once I updated it, the Launcher screen returned.

I also had CC and Mods, as I had just gotten into Modding a few days ago before this update. I had assumed that it was because I had installed them that my game was suddenly crashing. I have now come to realize that it has nothing to do with that.

I've done the "reinstall-uninstall" dance as you all call it at least 4 times yesterday. I noticed that when I hit Fast Lane, I got an error with updates.

So, for now, I have deleted all of my Mods and CC from my computer. It was an accident when I was moving folders around, but I just didn't see the point in downloading them again for now. I have bookmarks and pages to refer back to them whenever this gets fixed. I currently have the base game installed on my Macbook and I did install and run the Super Patch for 1.38. So far, the game works normally. The "Game Process" box does indeed pop up, but I ignored it and played the game. But, I have not bothered to install any SPs or EPs. I do get the "Register Your Disk!" link when I start the game, but I just ignore the **** thing because the game plays normally. I also have my WiFi connected during this but I do not log in. However, I cannot download anything from the store at all in game when I am logged in.

So, I do hope that this post will aid in some things. I know we are all pretty much screwed until a solution decides to magically appear out of nowhere from EA.... that was sarcasm. I bet a regular user like us will figure it out before they do!

I plan to check back and try and comment often.
  • Options
    miklcmiklc Posts: 3,110 Member
    edited September 2012
    Just to update people, I'm in the UK and have all expansion packs and stuff packs on DVD. I have just turned my MacBook on this morning to retry, I turned WiFi off and opened the game (in windowed mode) and was still meet with the Disc Authorization message which automically closes my game down so I cannot actually play my game at all. This is absolutely ridiculous, at the very least EA should have acknowledged that they know about the issue by now...
  • Options
    gegesgeges Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    it really works without connecting internet!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top