Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't Start Game Process.

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited September 2012
    miklc wrote:
    Just to update people, I'm in the UK and have all expansion packs and stuff packs on DVD. I have just turned my MacBook on this morning to retry, I turned WiFi off and opened the game (in windowed mode) and was still meet with the Disc Authorization message which automically closes my game down so I cannot actually play my game at all. This is absolutely ridiculous, at the very least EA should have acknowledged that they know about the issue by now...

The Disk Authorisation error message is separate to the Game Process error in this thread. There are threads people have started about it:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/482235.page

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/456104.page

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/547063.page

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/424166.page

That has always been an ongoing problem but it does not affect every Mac user. This Game Process issue seems to be affecting everyone playing on a Mac.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    ChemicalwibsChemicalwibs Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited September 2012
    It looks like the server issue may be fixed - I was just able to launch my game while online without getting the error message. I didn't play though, I was just testing after finally getting all my games re-installed.

One thing though, I seem to be fully patched without patching. Since I was having trouble patching after each EP install last night, I decided to just install all games and then install the super patch afterwards. Before I did that I wanted to check what patch level I was at by opening the info.plist and this is what is said:

<key>ClientBuild</key>
    <string>1.38.151.018017</string>

So that means I'm fully patched, right - since 1.38 is the latest patch? Just want to make sure because I find it odd since last night it wouldn't let me install any patches after the WA one. So the super patch is not needed is what I'm thinking now. Any input on the matter is greatly appreciated :wink:

Edit: of course I should mention that there is no pop up prompting a new patch when I open the launcher either.
    wibsandthesims.tumblr.com
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2012
    Do you have Supernatural ? The patches are usually on the DVD so the game updates itself when you install an EP.

You can't not patch when installing EPs. They don't install otherwise.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    edited September 2012
    crinrict wrote:
    Do you have Supernatural ? The patches are usually on the DVD so the game updates itself when you install an EP.

You can't not patch when installing EPs. They don't install otherwise.

No, I don't have Supernatural and all my games are on digital download. I did install a rather large patch after installing the base game, which is obviously the 1.38 patch as all patches now only apply to the base game. Sorry, I should have realized that sooner.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Nevermind my previous posts about the patching - all is good, I was just being a little dense :oops: I am fully patched and I am now prompted to install EP/SP updates when I try to download a gift from the store. Those updates couldn't be installed yesterday when the servers were down, but now it's working and the updates are downloading :D
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited September 2012
    Chemicalwibs: So you installed the games first and then the patch?

I installed the base game and then the patch....

Maybe I should see if it will work after I install some EPs/SPs, or if I'll have to reinstall all over again :-(
  • Options
    LizardloveLizardlove Posts: 20
    edited September 2012
    ashjack20 wrote:
    Lizardlove wrote:
    Now the strange thing is that I am able to play the game, without logging in, but frequently the game will *flash* or make strange colorations appear on the screen. Of course I didn't want my computer to crash and have something horrible to happen, because I have too many important things to do on my computer to loose it all for the sake of playing a glitchy game.

Hello, Greetings, Bonjour and the like!

Fairly new to the forums, as well as The Sims. Since I had been lurking for quite some time, I figured that it was high time that I get active here since I am a Mac user. I became addicted back in June of this year, however I have quickly adapted to being punished for using a Mac. I've used Mac for years (first Apple product was Macbook Pro, mid-2007 model). Hell, I actually own a Power G5, but I just use it for harddrive space and listening to music and watching movies via Home Sharing :mrgreen:

I currently own the early-2011 model, 10.7.5, Lion. I have yet to update to Mountain Lion, as I've been too lazy to do so.

I own all of the EPs and SPs, except for Katy Perry (as I find it to be ridiculous as well as useless for any of my Sims). I have both DVDs and DDs.

The reason I quoted Lizardlove's post is that I also noticed, after the Supernatural DD I bought from Amazon early Sunday night, that "strange colorations" did indeed appear on the screen during my first run of the game. Now, I will state that I updated the game BEFORE I installed Supernatural and the game played perfectly fine. I updated it back when it was released. I had no problems with it. As soon as I installed Supernatural, strange colorations would appear in the middle of my screen. Once that happened, I changed my settings to a lower quality and it appeared to go away. I continued playing as normal, getting the regular freezing and lagging after a good 45 minutes to an hour of gameplay. Once I saw it got a bit late into the evening, I shut the game down and put my Macbook to sleep for the night.

I wake up Monday morning to see the "Game process.." box, the 4 loading bubbles in my dock, and error that read: "Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000014 at address 0x10271a3b." My Launcher works fine, although it had the "Opps" guy for going on two weeks before the 1.38 update. Once I updated it, the Launcher screen returned.

I also had CC and Mods, as I had just gotten into Modding a few days ago before this update. I had assumed that it was because I had installed them that my game was suddenly crashing. I have now come to realize that it has nothing to do with that.

I've done the "reinstall-uninstall" dance as you all call it at least 4 times yesterday. I noticed that when I hit Fast Lane, I got an error with updates.

So, for now, I have deleted all of my Mods and CC from my computer. It was an accident when I was moving folders around, but I just didn't see the point in downloading them again for now. I have bookmarks and pages to refer back to them whenever this gets fixed. I currently have the base game installed on my Macbook and I did install and run the Super Patch for 1.38. So far, the game works normally. The "Game Process" box does indeed pop up, but I ignored it and played the game. But, I have not bothered to install any SPs or EPs. I do get the "Register Your Disk!" link when I start the game, but I just ignore the **** thing because the game plays normally. I also have my WiFi connected during this but I do not log in. However, I cannot download anything from the store at all in game when I am logged in.

So, I do hope that this post will aid in some things. I know we are all pretty much screwed until a solution decides to magically appear out of nowhere from EA.... that was sarcasm. I bet a regular user like us will figure it out before they do!

I plan to check back and try and comment often.

Hey,

It's good to know that someone else is having this "Flashing" problem. Also it seems that Pets aids in this abnormality. ONLY when playing with Supernatural AND having a horse or moderate amount of pets in a household does the scree n have trouble and the graphics go crazy.

I did play with the internet wi-fi OFF and the game worked fine without the error box after exiting the game . . . I suppose I must side with everyone else and say, "how coincidental."
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    ashjack20 wrote:
    I installed the base game and then the patch....

That's what I did as well. The only thing it wouldn't do last night with the servers being down, was install updates on the EP/SP released before the 1.22.9 patch - after that you only have to patch the base game. To quote Nichaedemus:
    As of base game update 1.22.9 or later, players no longer need to update their expansions and stuff packs. All updates will now be applied only to the base game. This should make the patching process easier and prevent base game incompatibility errors. Also note that separate game updates for expansions and stuff packs are no longer being released, since these are now incorporated into the base game update.

So I was only prompted to update WA, HELS, Ambitions, Late Night and OLS and the rest was good to go.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Nice! Well, I'll try and give it a shot! I have a day to spare, I guess I can go ahead and install the games for the next 2 hours :roll:

Lizardlove: Pets? Now that I think about it, I never really saw any pets (cats, dogs, horses, etc) when I was playing Supernatural. Maybe it flashed and such right before they appear, causing the game to glitch and freeze? I'll have to watch for that again. However, I won't be touching Supernatural until this problem is securely fixed..
  • Options
    SimGuruBrentSimGuruBrent Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hi all,

Our sincerest apologies to our Mac users encountering issues yesterday! We have investigated the cause of this and you should no longer have any issues starting up your game.

We are extremely grateful for your patience during this outage.

Should anyone run into this issue again, please let us know the following information.

Packs installed:
    Version of OS X:
    DVD or Digital Download version of latest release/installed pack:

Thank you again and happy Simming!
  • Options
    yoda65yoda65 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited September 2012
    I tried bypassing the launcher (thanks ciane) but it did not work. In fact, no Internet connected : I can not start the game!
    I tried to run the game without my Internet connection (Ethernet cable unplugged, wifi off) but it did not work.
    After a good night's sleep, and some stuff to do, I try again to open the game, it works now! :D
    I did not reinstall, nor the games, or Store objects, I have not changed anything in my games!! so, it was really a problem with EA server!?
    Downloading from the store was the only thing that worked yesterday. But it was impossible to install anything, including objects previously downloaded from the Store!
    I would have appreciated a message from EA! which would have avoided some people of reinstalling everything. :(
    Thank you BluebellFlora and crinrict for your support and your kind assistance! xoxo

Chemicalwibs, I'm glad it works for you too, good luck for the installation, you have only downloaded versions of the game now?
    So you used this patch: Region 7 (Digital Download To-8258-1.38.151.018017.tgz )
    Ma base game is Region 2 on DVD, I have other EP and SP on DVD Region 2, all my last EP & SP are Region 7 (Digital Download).
    I did the automatic update with the launcher before the release & installing Supernatural, no problems.
    Yesterday as I had time, :mrgreen: I took the opportunity to download the super patch Region 2 To-8258-1.38.151.018002.tgz
    like that, next time I'm ready to reinstall everything! :lol:
    Maybe one day I'll have to buy all the games in digital version, when my DVD player will not want to read my original Sims 3 disc.

I do not use any CC from other sites, but I use happily : NRaas Overwatch and NRaas_MasterController which allows me to play longer by eliminating Sims/animals stuck or cars left in the city, for example ...

The only thing that remains complicated for me, is choosing the right graphics settings in the game options, this is another big topic! because I suspect that some settings too high, crash the game and CAS, but then it depends on our graphics card and model of Mac ...

I hope everyone has recovered its games? Good luck! =^.^=
    27-11-2015_185647_zpsyfowoxwm.png
    Gallery link - I wish Toddlers, Weather, Pets… in Sims 4
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hi all,

Our sincerest apologies to our Mac users encountering issues yesterday! We have investigated the cause of this and you should no longer have any issues starting up your game.

Should anyone run into this issue again, please let us know the following information.

Packs installed:
    Version of OS X:

Thank you SimGuruBrent for your reply, I'm glad it's fixed, I have run my games without problems today!
    Hope other fellow simmers recovered their game too? ^_^
  • Options
    LizardloveLizardlove Posts: 20
    edited September 2012
    @ashjack: Well all I know is that for some reason my game runs far better with little to no pets in my active household. It will work fine if other CPU's control a Pet (by pet I specifically mean controllable ones, i.e. cats/dogs/horses) but I cannot posses one or else I risk glitches, strange colorations, flashes, and the like that usually result in a crash or my computer saying that there has been a major error and it needs to be force-shut down and then rebooted.

Hopefully when I play today this fix that the SimGuru announced will help.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lizardlove wrote:
    @ashjack: Well all I know is that for some reason my game runs far better with little to no pets in my active household. It will work fine if other CPU's control a Pet (by pet I specifically mean controllable ones, i.e. cats/dogs/horses) but I cannot posses one or else I risk glitches, strange colorations, flashes, and the like that usually result in a crash or my computer saying that there has been a major error and it needs to be force-shut down and then rebooted.

Hopefully when I play today this fix that the SimGuru announced will help.
    Sorry, but the fix is for the "The Game Process Can Not Be Started issue" it seems.
    I also experimented glitches, strange colorations, flashes, and CAS crashes, but I think it's another problem, which may be a graphics card problem? try reducing your graphics options, exit, remove preferences (Cache.package files) and restart the game ... Hope it helps;
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Although, I'm sure most Mac users will not have to go through these steps, but I had already did the reinstall-uninstall dance long before the Guru posted anything. So, try to load it today like normal before you uninstall everything to see if it has fixed itself. It was obviously a problem with the EA servers.

After uninstalling and reinstalling everything that I had (All SPs and EPs except Katy Perry), I think it works! I’m a bit concerned about Supernatural, so I won’t install it until I know that everything else works.

I installed the base game, then downloaded a Super Patch for 1.38 and installed that. I then proceeded to install the games in order of release date from sheer paranoia (I'm sure it doesn't matter). The last installation I had was Diesel. After I finished installing everything, I went to see if everything was indeed working as the Guru stated. So, I went to the store to re-download an item (rock climbing wall).

As soon as I clicked the link to install it into the Launcher, it began to update some things. In order: Diesel was first, as that was the last install I had, WA, High-End Loft, Ambitions, Fast Lane (which it also asked for permissions), Late Night, and Outdoor Living. After that, I tried to download the same item one more time, only for the launcher to freeze. I figured I should shut it down, restart my Macbook Pro and give it another go afterwards, just to be safe.

After rebooting completely, I went to download the rock-climbing wall once again to see if it would download into the game and…. SUCCESS!

The game loaded, went right to the New Game screen and everything. I was not logged in, btw.

So, I believe everything is fixed like the Guru stated! I’m going to try and install some of my CC back from the store and other sites just to make sure. Then, I’ll try and install Supernatural again with lower settings. I think that could be a problem with strange colors and glitches. Once I did that after my first run (before the chaos started), the game was fine.

Another success story to add to the list!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    @ ashjack20 :D great! Good luck for installing your CC back.
    Most of time, I'm not logged, when I load the game, it seems it doesn't change anything, the game still exchange data with the server, it must be for the authorization of the game, and also why yesterday, it was impossible to launch the game ... I guess.
  • Options
    TulojowTulojow Posts: 14 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Hello!

So, I ran into many of these issues yesterday as well as some others. Unfortunately, I both installed two new games (Katy Perry and Master Bedroom SP as well as Showtime EP) and completed the last update so when this cropped up, it was hard to know what to attribute to what.

I was also playing the game when the problems seemed to start. I'd been playing WA in the Shing Simla setting and things were going fine. My sim returned to the main game (hidden springs) and found that when I hovered over sims out and about, I didn't get the usual name info but rather a long file title with location. I logged out of that game and tried to start a new one and found that all of my installed worlds (including the EA hidden springs and riverview) were gone from the drop down menu.

I closed the game, restarted it and ran into the 'can't start game process' error message. Like others, the 'can't start game process' error has resolved. However, I still can't reinstall the added worlds. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling and it's showing the in the installed content tab on the launcher but not on the list in the 'start new game' page.

This might be an unrelated issue - it's hard to tell since it all happened at the same time - but any advice/help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    mintnorth2424mintnorth2424 Posts: 195 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Hi all,

Packs installed:
    Version of OS X:

Thanks for fixing the issue. But I'm curious, as I am sure many others are, what caused the problem? Because obviously those of us that contacted EA regarding the issue just got told that it basically was our fault due to a various amount of reasons. It would be nice to know what happened this way if this problem happens again we can quickly fill EA in on the exact nature of the issue.
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hoorah it's fixed! Would be nice to know what went wrong though.

Communication = good.
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited September 2012
    Tulojow wrote:
    I was also playing the game when the problems seemed to start. I'd been playing WA in the Shing Simla setting and things were going fine. My sim returned to the main game (hidden springs) and found that when I hovered over sims out and about, I didn't get the usual name info but rather a long file title with location. I logged out of that game and tried to start a new one and found that all of my installed worlds (including the EA hidden springs and riverview) were gone from the drop down menu.

I closed the game, restarted it and ran into the 'can't start game process' error message. Like others, the 'can't start game process' error has resolved. However, I still can't reinstall the added worlds. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling and it's showing the in the installed content tab on the launcher but not on the list in the 'start new game' page.

This might be an unrelated issue - it's hard to tell since it all happened at the same time - but any advice/help would be appreciated.

Hello! I've no idea what has gone wrong with your installed worlds. Are you using any mods perhaps? As far as I understand it, when a sim travels, a sort of static version gets left at 'home' and then is merged with the travelling version at the end of the vacation. Sounds as though yours have got very muddled up if some weird text is appearing instead of their names. I don't know why this would uninstall worlds, though, or cause them to disappear from the menu.
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    roseenglishroseenglish Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2012
    well

Its working

BUT none of my CC will show in game

It shows in the downloads and installed launcher

I uninstalled and reinstalled it all etc and nada.

I am ONCE AGAIN starting a brand new game and going through the time consuming process of downloading all of the official worlds I bought from EA Games and all of the store content.

I am so tired of investing 2 weeks into a game to have to start over.

• Options
    khamernebtikhamernebti Posts: 14
    edited September 2012
    well

Its working

BUT none of my CC will show in game

It shows in the downloads and installed launcher

I uninstalled and reinstalled it all etc and nada.

I am ONCE AGAIN starting a brand new game and going through the time consuming process of downloading all of the official worlds I bought from EA Games and all of the store content.

I am so tired of investing 2 weeks into a game to have to start over.

I had that problem.

The last update actually doesn't read my sims3 from the documents folder. I think the update wasn't for the 'documents' folder(for macs) but for the 'my documents' folder like in PCs. So I finally found the my documents folder which is in a hidden folder, and copied all my stuff from the the Sims 3 folder in the documents folder.

so in short copy everything from /Users/(user name)/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

(and if you have this 'my documents' folder and all of your cc and downloaded worlds and games saves don't show up in the launcher)

to /Users/(user name)/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences/p_drive/User/My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

• Options
    MandaksauceMandaksauce Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    Yay! I'm so glad this got fixed so quickly.
  • Options
    eknight78eknight78 Posts: 44 New Member
    edited September 2012
    Me too!! Mine is fixed! yay! Thank you so much!
  • Options
    roseenglishroseenglish Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2012
    I had that problem.

The last update actually doesn't read my sims3 from the documents folder. I think the update wasn't for the 'documents' folder(for macs) but for the 'my documents' folder like in PCs. So I finally found the my documents folder which is in a hidden folder, and copied all my stuff from the the Sims 3 folder in the documents folder.

so in short copy everything from /Users/(user name)/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

(and if you have this 'my documents' folder and all of your cc and downloaded worlds and games saves don't show up in the launcher)

to /Users/(user name)/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences/p_drive/User/My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

I followed this: /Users/(user name)/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences/p_drive/User/My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

But all I have there are 3 folders, My Videos My Pictures and My Music.

Also, EA Games tell me to delete the "The Sims 3 Preferences" folder if the game won't load.
    Its a folder I delete a lot along with cache files when I get loading issues

All of my downloads are in the Downloads folder under the standard route for macs which is "Documents"

All I have installed are official The Sims 3 worlds and content and it all shows as installed on the launcher but it wont appear in the game.

The additional worlds are not made available when I launch the game to play from the drop down list etc..

OMG!!! I love and hate this game!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top